Old 11-16-2001, 02:54 PM
Reviews: Deep Blue Sea

JoBlo's 8/10 review of DEEP BLUE SEA can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/deepbluesea.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended =
Not recommended =
In the middle =
Old 12-24-2001, 03:37 PM
Deep Blue Sea - 7/10

Deep Blue Sea is great fun to watch. With your viewing buddy you can always look at the screen and have your eyes widened or your mouth grinning. It’s a neat sense of enjoyment you can only get from a shark movie. I can guarantee you’ll enjoy it even if you are a stern critic. But alas, Deep Blue Sea has its flaws. While the science-fiction story of a cure for Alzheimer’s disease tries to cover up some of the flaws, you can still notice them. Sharks sense blood by its smell, not by its appearance. This is not the case in the thrilling opening scene, where some guy drops a bottle of red wine in the water on accident and a shark comes. Also, the-12-sharks-escaping-and-terrorising-people story is all entertaining, but how could the sharks fit through the corridors when they’re meant to be super big? There’s some more flaws, but I wouldn’t want to keep you from seeing this movie because it’s good fun and keeps you intrigued and entertained. There’s something for everyone in Deep Blue Sea, whether you want fast CGI shocks, shocking horror, Saffron Burrows half naked, sharks eating people or just plain fun, its what you get.

[This message has been edited by urbanlegend23 (edited 12-24-2001).]
Old 03-20-2003, 07:43 AM

JoBlo's right, this one's what I call a "teen scream summer release". I was impressed by some of the performances, but even more impressed by the CGI FX of the sharks in action. There were enough spots that made me jump to keep me happy.

Despite it being a kind of no-brainer film, I was annoyed however by some factual discrepancies...for example, sharks can't swim backwards, yet they manage to do so in one scene. Sharks must also remain swimming (in motion) to stay alive, and although they were running water over the big Mako for the brain-matter extraction scene, this wouldn't have kept the shark alive, it would have gone into shock and died. I spotted a couple of other bloopers, then remembered I was supposed to just sit back and enjoy the action, which this film has in spades.

If you have a fear of drowning, watch this one with a friend and a light on, because these people are trapped in an ocean-based lab centre that's sinking under the weight of all the water that's pouring into it (thanks to our big-finned friends). Renny Harlin is one of my fave action directors, and he doesn't disappoint here, especially with the "surprise" attacks and kills.

Saffron Burrows, LL Cool J and Samuel L. Jackson all give stonking good performances, but I must admit I was disappointed with Thomas Jane. After his fifth combination bicep-flex-with-a-knowing-smirk acting attempt, a part of me was hoping one of the Makos would at least chomp off one of his legs.

7 out of 10, if you ask me. And a great night in with friends. Make some tuna sandwiches, crab cakes and popcorn shrimp for snacks.

Last edited by FeydRautha; 03-20-2003 at 07:45 AM..
Old 03-22-2003, 02:12 PM
DEEP BLUE SEA
a Renny Harlin film

DEEP BLUE SEA is a fun flick. It's a JAWS ersatz, and not the best one, but it's a solid summer blockbuster. It's got some slick directing moves, some slick action scenes, some slick acting (am I the only one to think Samuel L. Jackson is the man? I think not), and some slick CGI sharks. Sure it's not very smart, sure it's pretty much predictable (still...I thought some characters that died would've survived, and one that survived would've died), sure it's got a couple of crappy lines, and of course it's not the most original action flick around. Oh, and one other thing, too -- LL Cool J can not act.
Still, there's a good overall claustrophobic atmosphere, the deaths are "fun" to watch, there's a few scares and a couple of laughs, a lot of "kabooms" and "shabangs", and uber-smart sharks, which was to me the highlight of the movie. They're not just sharks, they're pretty fucking smart ones, too -- which makes this movie slightly different from the others of its kind.

Overall, no JAWS here, but a solid and entertaining action/chills flick, that's worth watching one of these evenings with a friend on one side, the girlfriend under the other arm and nachos on your lap.

7/10
Old 03-24-2003, 03:26 PM
I enjoyed this film, it was full of suspense especially with the cook in the kitchen scene, very fun to watch. The CGI was abit wonky in places and the SLJ scene well i didn't see that coming. It has a couple of shocking scenes because you don't really know who is going to die. The acting was good and so was the story. There was plenty of water and swimming and splashing around by the sharks as well as the people. The glass breaking scene was very well done and i thought that was one of the best bits in the whole movie and was very surprised when that happened.

Overall i give this movie 8/10
Old 04-22-2003, 09:12 AM
It is happily possible, with the wonderous use of the English language, to sum up Deep Blue Sea in just 5 words. Ahem: Cliche Turkey Silly Unbelievable Drivel.

Ignoring for a moment the incredibly stupid plot (come on, making sharks smarter to cure Altzeimers is something Homer Simpson would come up with) an unconvincing cast get eaten (one by one, in the yawnsome thriller way) and it's difficult to give a shit about any of them. Lots of lame one liners eventually result in the leading lady sacrificing herself (deservedly, after the terrible "Come to Mama") and the funny cook LL Cool J surviving. Up until this point, we're asked to swallow lots of unconvincing nonsense (sharks swimming backwards and not drowning, for instance) and we ultimately don't believe a word of it. Yep, Deep Blue Sea is an unconvincing turkey of a monster movie. Monsters haven't been this laughably unbelievable since Michael Caine screeched "Run, the killer bees are coming!"

The sharks themselves look more CGI than anything currently in cinema, particularly when one leaps out of the water and eats Samuel L. Jackson. They move so fast and so daftly that, supersharks or not, they just scream FAKE. And that adds to the difficulty we have in caring - when a cardboard character gets eaten by a big CGI monster, who gives a shit? Not I.

In the end, the only decent scene involves LL Cool J flicking a lighter at a gas-covered shark as revenge ("You ate ma' bird!" *fling, bang*) and his subsequent survival is therefore thankful. But the rest of this lame-assed monster turkey is painful to watch. Avoid at all costs, and PLEASE go watch the outstanding Jaws instead. 1/10
Old 04-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Hated this cheez-e flick...right down to its cheap ass cgi
Old 04-28-2003, 05:53 PM
The Deep Blue Sea - 7/10

Quote:
Originally posted by FeydRautha
JoBlo's right, this one's what I call a "teen scream summer release"...
Actually, I think this one is more of a 'teen scream' flick for the grown-ups, seeing as there were none of the usual suspects for teen horror here, but rather actors like Samuel L. Jackson (who made the movie).

I can't believe as long as this movie has been out and as many times as I've seen it, I've never bothered to comment on it. It's a major "what-if" situation, even if focused on a topic as absurd as human-brained sharks. It's complimented by a few "boo"-scares, a comedic performance by L.L. Cool J and his bird, and a huge guilt-trip by the woman who caused this mess. Very appealing.