Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2003, 06:00 PM
English Passengers: another great book you might not have heard of

Has anybody heard of this great book. Its in my top five along with Wicked but nobody has seem to ahve heard of it.

Its probably the best example of what a trgiocomedy should be.

It follows two stories, one true and one not, at two different times that eventually collide.

The story that is fiction is about a rum smuggler in the 1800s in England. After having been caught he has to charter his ship to make some money back. This story follows the one and final voyage that he charters. On it is a vicar who is convinced the Garden of Eden is on tasmania (that is where they are going), there is a scientist that wants to prove a scientific basis that some races ar e better than others, a r eal jerk. The there is a newly recruited sailor who is only there to make money and finds more than he ever bargained for. Their disastrous trip to Tasmnia is hysterical.

The second true and tragic story is set 50 years earlier as Britian is colonizing Tasmania either killing the aboriginese people or assimilating them into European culture. The things the British did and are true and horrible. The story is told by one character named Peevay over 50 years.

The stories eventually meet up. When the voyage arrives at Tasmania they meet up with the angry and cynical older version of Peevay. He is assigned as their guide. What follows next is murder, madness and other tragedies.

The story is told through 25 different narratives. Every chapter is another viewpoint so we get to see both stories from all different angles.

An amazing, tragic, funny book, that explores a time we ahve all forgotten about
Old 05-01-2003, 01:59 PM
anybody read this?
Old 05-04-2003, 03:20 AM
This one I have never heard of...but I will check around see if I can find it. Sounds interesting.