Old 11-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Gerald's Game by Stephen King

Have any of you read this? A woman and her husband are at a house by the lake when the two play a little bondage game. Hubby has a heart attack and dies,leaving wifey handcuffed to the bed. What follows is horrifying. I think it is Steve's best!
Old 11-10-2002, 03:47 AM
I thought it was great, but considering the confines of the cabin, and the lack of any other important characters besides the wife (well...maybe one other character...) impinges upon the overall greatness of the novel. Now that doesn't mean I didn't like it that much. I give it a 9/10, it kept me up a lot at night, but it was not as good as The Stand or Rose Madder in my opinion.

I recommend it!
Old 11-10-2002, 10:22 AM
It was very scary. The premise is spooky. Being tied up and no one knows is very scary. And the "man" who walks in is horrifying.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:19 PM
This remains one of the only Stephen King books that I could not get into. His books usually have me turning the pages well into the night but this one didn't. I barely got past page 20 before I decided to skip it and read The Stand again.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:24 AM
Hell yeah i loved this book, i read it while i was locked up almost everyone in my 18 man tank read it damn good book
Old 11-23-2002, 12:45 PM
I just couldn't read this one. It was just too boring. It's very well written, but I just couldn't get into the story...
Old 11-24-2002, 10:25 AM
One of the best Stephen King books. Really captures the mind of a person without hope trying to create some.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:34 AM
I have to agree with some of the other posters and say for me this was one of King's weakest efforts. Kept me reading, but in the end I was left kinda cold.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:13 PM
BUMP!!!

Let's get some replies from the new schmoes shall we?
Old 06-04-2003, 02:22 PM
well i aint a new schmoe, but i will give my tuppence worth anyway....

to put it bluntly, this is the biggest piece of shit king has ever put. dull and tired, its totally anaemic compared to pretty much everything he has written. utterly horrible book. i hated it. its probably the only King book i have no time for. it just reads like a short story that has been (badly) padded out.....

*goes and hugs his copy of The Stand*
Old 06-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Never read it, but I probably will sometime in the future.

No King book will ever touch the Dark Tower series, but I have found most of his other efforts to be entertaining at the very least and some of them were quite good (The Stand, Talisman etc).
Old 06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven
it just reads like a short story that has been (badly) padded out.....
Well put, although I didn't quite loathe it as much as you. I don't think I've ever read a King novel that didn't at least offer me something for the time I put into it.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the night watchman
Well put, although I didn't quite loathe it as much as you. I don't think I've ever read a King novel that didn't at least offer me something for the time I put into it.

well theres really just geralds game that didnt give me anything. and i dont really like dolores Claiborne all that much either, but its still better than geralds game...but basically, other than that, hes a top author...

actually i loathe geralds game, i really do. still, everyone has a total duffer at some point.

i have this urge to read four past midnight now....

Old 06-04-2003, 03:42 PM
One of his best. I loved it. The whole final act of the book when she discovers who you know who is REALLY fucking creeped me WAAAAAYYYYY OUT!!!! Badly spooked me. It was just the icing on an already very tasty cake.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Really good book, good character development, great story, well written. interesting character, builds suspense, not overly long...and excellent book and one of King's best

10/10
Old 06-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven

i have this urge to read four past midnight now....

Speaking of "Four Past Midnight," does anyone else think that "Secret Window, Secret Garden" is really just a non-supernatural version of "The Dark Half?"
Old 06-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the night watchman
Speaking of "Four Past Midnight," does anyone else think that "Secret Window, Secret Garden" is really just a non-supernatural version of "The Dark Half?"

your a brave schmoe. i totally agree, i just thought it was me being nuts and was gonna keep quiet...
Old 06-05-2003, 03:05 AM
On a scale of one to ten, with INSOMNIA being a one and THE STAND being a ten - I think GERALD'S GAME would be a seven. I think GERALD'S GAME is very close behind MISERY for claustrophobic suspense.

I loved it. I think that King writes incredible suspense when he reduces a story to it's barest elements: CUJO: woman and boy trapped in car by rabid dog, MISERY: writer trapped in house by psycho nurse, GERALD'S GAME: woman trapped in house with dead husband. I enjoyed how it delved into her mind and how her past is integrated into the current crisis. And I also loved the clever way it is linked with DOLORES CLAIBORNE.

GERALD'S GAME remains one of the few King books untouched by greedy movie producers - let's hope it stays that way!