Old 06-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Theories about King's The Dark Tower series

I was curious what people's impression were of the Dark Tower series. What are your theories? Who really is Randall Flagg? What does the Crimson King and Dark Tower represent? Is Pennywise an agent of the Crimson King? Is the Turtle dead?

Personally I think by the last three books all the books that King has ever written will converge in the Dark Tower series. We have already seen some of these things happen with Insomnia, Rose Madder, among others. We also known that Father Callahan from Salems Lot will be in the next book. What do you guys think?
Old 06-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Cool

I love the Dark Tower books. Probably my favorite group of books of all time.

The Dark Tower is the center of King's universe. All of his other books are just side stories to the one true and important story of Roland and his journey to the Tower.

I think that Flagg is probably an agent of a power from one of the higher levels of the Tower. He is probably not a true power himself, more like a front for a true power. Or else he is some sort of anomally created by the weakening of the tower.

In my mind, the Dark Tower is the center of the universe, sort of a combination of Heaven and Hell, the center of the Big Bang, the orgin and end of time.

I dont think the Turtle is dead. I cant explain why I think that, I just do.

The ideas and mythologies that King has created in this series as well as most all of his other books are so complex and interesting. You would almost need to devote an college course to trying to understand it all.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Check out this book about King's work which links every single one of his stories into the Dark Tower universe, which you accurately predict will eventually all converge.

I found it a fascinating read, being a huge King fan, and highly recommend it to both of you guys, and to any other Schmoes who are fascinated by the links between King's work.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:48 PM
Thanks Fettdog. I actually ahve read that book but forgot about while I was writing the post. It's amazing the number of connections there are between all the books. I just can't wait for the final book just to see how King ends it all. Wouldn't it be neat if Roland came up against Leland Gaunt from needful Things or IT from IT or the many other monsters in King's books
Old 06-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
Wouldn't it be neat if Roland came up against Leland Gaunt from needful Things or IT from IT or the many other monsters in King's books
Roland would smoke Gaunt before Gaunt even knew what was going on. And that goofy clown, yeah right, he wouldnt stand a chance against Oy!