From Hell ----------> Rating: 7/10

FROM HELL
RATING: 7/10

Directors: The Hughes Brothers
Starring: Johnny Depp, Heather Graham, Ian Holm
Genre: Horror
Year of Release: 2001
Reviewer: urbanlegend23

Hmmm…interesting. That’s really the only way I can think of to describe this movie as a whole. I expected a lot from From Hell and I was really looking forward to seeing it. I’d say to people who are expecting a slasher flick to maybe go elsewhere because the movie is a little deeper and smarter than the typical formulaic slasher movie. But that’s not saying it isn’t without its flaws. I just don’t know how to rate this movie. On the whole it really interested me and had me freaked out, but there were some things about it I just didn’t ‘get.’ I’ll run through them in this review.

I start with the things that kept my interest maintained during the movie. From Hell is an absolute visual splendour! From art direction that practically sits down on its two legs and begs for an Oscar to incredibly fitting costumes and an atmosphere that is never lacklustre, this movie just never lets up on the visual flair. The colour use was terrific, especially the use of red and green, very effective. The sets are very realistic for the time period and look lovely.

Although this will disappoint I Know What You Did Last Summer or Urban Legend freaks, the more serious horror audience will definitely not be disappointed as there is gore a-plenty, some nudity and a good story – which is what all horror gurus are after these days! The gore includes some scenes and shots were you will just want to cringe, especially one disgusting throat slash scene that assures you definitely wouldn’t want to cross Jack the Ripper in a dark alleyway tonight. There are also some other pretty stylish murders that freaked me out and had me gripping the pillow.

The acting is another strongpoint in the film. Johnny Depp pretty much plays the same character he did in Sleepy Hollow except a lot less goofy. He plays Inspector Abberline well and turns the role into his own. Many critics attacked Heather Graham for her portrayal of Mary Kelly, which I expected to be horrible. But I can honestly say she did a more-than-passable job with her character. Her accent was off at times but for an actress just turning serious (this is her first role – bar Boogie Nights – away from slapstick comedy or teen horror) she did a nice job. Ian Holm gives an interesting and well-acted performance. I enjoyed seeing Robbie Coltrane (very underrated actor), he did well in this movie. Katirin Cartlidge was quite underused in her role but it was nice seeing her after her magnificent performance in Breaking the Waves.

The direction is also great in this movie. The Hughes’ brothers know atmosphere is everything in a movie like this and go above and beyond the expected level to make this movie moody and have an interesting atmosphere. It’s really a terrific effort by them – especially on the visual side.

That said, I would’ve actually liked it if the characters had been a bit more developed (the only one I really cared for was Graham). I didn’t really ‘know’ any of them as people. From Hell also loses interest sometimes because too many scenes are all conversation and no action. But, hang on a second, what am I saying? If the characters were developed, there would be even more conversation and no action! Bleh…I guess you really don’t need so much character development in a horror movie about Jack the Ripper. I would’ve liked more focus on the Inspector Abberline character though; I didn’t really know or like him at all. And some of the conversation scenes are just irrelevant to the plot, like the scene where John Merrick appears. What the heck did that have to do with anything?

My biggest bone to pick with the movie is the ending. It’s not completely bad. It has balls, I’ll tell you that. The person who is presented as the killer is a bit stupid though. It actually works, but I didn’t really like it that much. It was surprising and all, but I think the movie would’ve worked better if the ending had remained a mystery, as it is in real life. I mean, why pretend what isn’t? The movie could’ve had its final frame with Jack the Ripper simply walking away, his coat flying behind him and everything around him in slow motion. Ah…I can just see that, much better!

The final result is a movie with guts, literally! This movie is one of the best visually of 2001, but it lost me sometimes in its plot, lacks any real suspense (even though the death scenes are undeniably brilliant and some of the best ever filmed) and the ending was disappointing. If you ignore those faults though, you have a movie that is entertaining, strange, clever and leaves you wanting to just go and watch it again after your first viewing. In fact, I might just do that…

*P.S. Mike have you rented it yet? I remember you saying a while back you were gonna rent it and me agreeing with you, I rented it tonight and I recommend it to you...I'll be interested to hear your opinion!
Old 07-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">*P.S. Mike have you rented it yet? I remember you saying a while back you were gonna rent it and me agreeing with you, I rented it tonight and I recommend it to you...I'll be interested to hear your opinion!</font>
Yes, I did as a matter of fact. The first week it came out I rented THE OTHERS and FROM HELL. I didn't think THE OTHERS looked very good or scary and I even laughed during the TV spots. But since everyone said it was so great I had to see what the fuss was about. And FROM HELL in my opinion looked great and I couldn't wait to watch it. It's funny how things work out because I ended up hating FROM HELL and loving THE OTHERS (9/10).

FROM HELL (2001)

I'll start out by saying I loved the look of the movie, the cinematography was great. I really enjoyed the slickely done murder scenes. I've heard people say they were too gory but if you've watched or read documentaries on Jack The Ripper you'll know that he was a pretty vicious killer and didn't go easy on his victims. So I feel the gore was appropriate and wasn't out of place. I also enjoyed Heather Grahams performance, I didn't think she was bad at all. I'd have to say she was pretty much the best and most interesting of the bunch. Even better than Johnny Depp in my opinion. I actually thought his performance was a little wooden----and I usually like him.

Unfortunately the movie has more bad points than good. I for one felt it was too long, the movies runtime could have been fine in a more interesting "Jack The Ripper" movie, but here it drags non-stop. Don't get me wrong, the movie starts out very interesting but then goes downhill at full speed and doesn't stop until the credits roll. After a certain point in the movie I just didn't care anymore. It had way too many characters and I couldn't tell you a single persons name in the movie other than the two main characters. It was too confusing. And instead of focusing on the main story it has several other layers to it that don't have any real reason to be there.

Another thing I didn't like was the predictability, I knew who Jack The Ripper was right away from the first time this person was on screen. I was really disappointed when I was right. Could they have made it any more obvious???

The movie felt like it was longer than it was and after awhile things started going in one ear and out the other because after awhile I just didn't care. It did nothing to keep me interested.

I also thought the ending was a load of shit. I hated the ending. And when the credits started to roll I felt relieved, but I also realized I just wasted two hours of my life on this pointless film. I really wanted to like it, I did, in fact I couldn't wait to see it, but this has to be the BIGGEST disappointment of 2001. I'm really easy to please but this movie did nothing for me.

GREAT cinematography, GREAT killings, and a GREAT performance by Heather Graham. Unfortunately that's not enough to make a GREAT movie and FROM HELL is proof. I personally wish they would have released the Discovery Channels documentary on Jack The Ripper in theaters, I found that to be great and far more interesting.

I know it seems harsh but I honestly don't see how someone could like this movie and how it managed to get some good reviews from critics.

Hopefully someday they'll make a "real" Jack The Ripper movie.

Grade: 2/10 or F or * of *****

-For the record the last movie I saw that I gave a 2/10 to was TWO GIRLS AND A GUY, another Heather Graham movie. It's definately nothing against her though because I actually do like her. In fact I just saw SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK (7/10) and I enjoyed that...

Very nice review though urbanlegend!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 12:48 PM
My take on From Hell

The Hughes Brothers have done an amazing job in directing a film based on a popular graphic novel of the same name.

Johnny Depp has given yet again another amazing performance as Inspector Abberlane, the opium smoking, "I see visions of the killings when I'm high" police officer assigned to the Jack The Ripper case.

Heather Graham really astonished me in this film. Ms.Graham who as of late had seemed to forgotten how to act, is back to her acting peak that hasnt graced us since Boogie Nights. As prostitute Mary Kelley, she was amazing and her and Johnny Depp had excellent chemistry in this film.

From Hell is stylish and dark, witty and gory. The accents in the film are right on the money and the film went at a great pace without boring me once.

From Hell gets a 9.5/10 from me......a great film.

One of 2001's 10 Best Films
Old 07-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by urbanlegend23:
but I think the movie would’ve worked better if the ending had remained a mystery, as it is in real life. I mean, why pretend what isn’t? The movie could’ve had its final frame with Jack the Ripper simply walking away, his coat flying behind him and everything around him in slow motion. Ah…I can just see that, much better!

</font>
HEY! Give me back the words out of my mouth! UL23, I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:45 PM
After second viewing, I have to say I enjoyed the movie alot more and changed my rating to 8/10. I liked the ending more because you can kind of spot the details, it was very clever. I made some slight alterations to my review if anyone cares :

FROM HELL
RATING: 8/10

Interesting. That’s really the only way I can think of to describe this movie as a whole. I expected a lot from From Hell and I was really looking forward to seeing it. I’d say to people who are expecting a slasher flick to maybe go elsewhere because the movie is a little deeper and smarter than the typical formulaic slasher movie. However, that’s not saying it isn’t without a couple of flaws. It’s a hard movie to rate. I previously gave it 7/10 but upon second viewing you notice a lot of things and the movie becomes a “hell” of a lot better. So I upped my rating to a score I think the movie is more deserved of.

From Hell is an absolute visual splendour! From art direction that practically sits down on its two legs and begs for an Oscar (and so it should!) to incredibly fitting costumes and an atmosphere that is never lacklustre, this movie just never lets up on the visual flair. The colour use was terrific, especially the use of red and green, very effective. The dream sequences put the colourful art direction to its best uses. The sets are very realistic and look lovely. The movie is very historically accurate and gets everything right visually for the time period, which was very pleasing to see!

Although this will most likely disappoint I Know What You Did Last Summer or Urban Legend freaks, the more serious horror audience will definitely not be disappointed as there is gore a-plenty, some nudity and a good story – which is what all horror gurus are after these days! The gore includes some scenes and shots were you will just want to cringe, especially one disgusting throat slash scene that assures you definitely wouldn’t want to cross Jack the Ripper in a dark alleyway tonight. There are also some other pretty stylish murders that freaked me out and had me gripping the pillow. However, not all of the movie is just Jack the Ripper killing people, the film has a few back-stories and plot build-up which is very refreshing.

The acting is another strongpoint in the film. Johnny Depp pretty much plays the same character he did in Sleepy Hollow except a lot less goofy. He plays Inspector Abberline well and turns the role into his own. Many critics attacked Heather Graham for her portrayal of Mary Kelly, which I expected to be horrible. But I can honestly say she did a more-than-passable job with her character. Her accent was off at times but for an actress just turning serious (this is her first real role – bar Boogie Nights – away from slapstick comedy or teen horror) she did a nice job. Ian Holm gives an interesting and well-acted performance. I enjoyed seeing Robbie Coltrane (very underrated actor), he did well in this movie. Katirin Cartlidge was quite underused in her role but it was nice seeing her after her magnificent performance in Breaking the Waves.

The direction is also great in this movie. The Hughes’ brothers know atmosphere is everything in a movie like this and go above and beyond the expected level to make this movie moody and have an interesting atmosphere. It’s really a terrific effort by them – especially on the visual side.

That said, I would’ve actually liked it if the characters had been a bit more developed (the only one I really cared for was Graham). I didn’t really ‘know’ any of them as people. From Hell also loses interest sometimes because too many scenes are all conversation and no action. But, hang on a second, what am I saying? If the characters were developed, there would be even more conversation and no action! Bleh…I guess you really don’t need so much character development in a horror movie about Jack the Ripper. I would’ve liked more focus on the Inspector Abberline character though; I didn’t really know or like him at all. Johnny Depp still did a great job though. Some of the scenes that should’ve been cut from the running time are the ones that are just irrelevant to the plot, like the scene where John Merrick appears. What the heck did that have to do with anything?

The ending is a strange one. It’s not completely bad. It has balls, I’ll tell you that. The person who is presented as the killer is very strange and surprising. It actually works, but I didn’t really like it too a big extent. I think the movie would’ve worked better if the ending had remained a mystery, as it is in real life. I mean, why pretend what isn’t? The movie could’ve had its final frame with Jack the Ripper simply walking away, his coat flying behind him and everything around him in slow motion. Ah…I can just see that, much better! None-the-less, the movie’s ending still works as a story and if you watch it a second time you notice some things about the character who is the killer and you figure out the movie is actually more a mind rape than it might appear to be!

The final result is a movie with guts, literally! This movie is one of the best visually of 2001, but it lost me sometimes in its plot and the ending was a little disappointing. If you ignore those faults though, you have a movie that is entertaining, strange, clever and leaves you wanting to just go and watch it again after your first viewing. I did this, and I noticed the movie was a whole lot better than what it first appeared. From Hell is a movie I recommend highly to viewers who have had enough of the “I Know What Your Valentine and Bride of Chucky Did Last Friday the 13th on Halloween while Screaming” kind of routine, then I seriously recommend you check out this thorough and engaging movie.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:26 AM
I didn't really care for this film, I found it way too slow and dull.

From Hell- 6/10, D
Old 07-13-2002, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I thought 6/10 movies were like B or C+ kinda grades.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:42 PM
Okay fine, 4/10, D!
Old 07-13-2002, 11:57 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adidas12185:
Okay fine, 4/10, D! </font>
LOL, IMO a D grade is kinda like 2/10 or 3/10. Maybe you should just choose one of these ways of rating movies to make it less confusing .
Old 07-15-2002, 01:09 AM
Here's mine:

1/10 = F
2/10 = F
3/10 = D- OR D
4/10 = D+
5/10 = C- OR C
6/10 = C+ OR B-
7/10 = B- OR B
8/10 = B+ OR A-
9/10 = A- OR A
10/10 = A+
Old 07-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Its rather simple, this is what I was thinking.

rating scale:
10 (A+/A)
9 (A/A-)
8 (B+/B)
7 (B/B-)
6 (C+/C)
5 (C/C-)
4 (D+/D)
3 (D/D-)
2 (F+/F)
1 (F/F-)

[This message has been edited by adidas12185 (edited 07-15-2002).]
Old 07-15-2002, 11:59 PM
The thread is veering way off topic now...back to the movie aye?
Old 06-10-2003, 09:58 PM

I was sooo disappointed with this at the theater. I just waited so long to see it and it turned out ot be a pile of shit. Then I rented it months ago and I hated it even more. I just can't stand this movie. The cinematography and that shit is great. But the movie is slow, boring, and has a lot of unecesary parts. The ending sucks too. As well as who turned out to be Jack the Ripper(I was like: Duh! when they revelead it). Heather Graham and Johnny Depp where the best thing here.
My final rating for this movie is a: 4/10 or D+
Old 06-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Was not a good movie. 5/10 from me.