Old 05-11-2003, 09:24 AM
THE ANiMATRIx- 8/10

ANIMATRIX 8/10

Just saw all 11 Animatrix shorts on the bigscreen today. Really loved seeing multiple artists and directors use the same idea as a palet and make it there own.

Interesting though often predictable stories but each with a definite edge. The artwork however is the real star and its fun trying to spot which of your favourite Manga film directors is helming which short.

Highly recommend animation fans check these bad boys out, same goes for Sci Fi fans.

By the way, DETECTIVE STORY is the penultimate short. Awesome noir, B&W style to tell a nice little relevant backstory.

also note Im not a huge fan of the first Matrix (7/10)- but I am a massive animation fan and escpecially of the Manga/Anime genre.

Last edited by Deckard; 05-11-2003 at 09:30 AM..
Old 05-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Since when were there 11 shorts? And how did you see the Animatrix on the big screen?
Old 05-11-2003, 01:18 PM
I actually like what I've seen of The Animatrix more than the two films. "The Second Renaissance," "Detective Story," and "Program" are all fantastic, while "Final Flight of the Osiris" is a fun little fluff piece.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:46 PM
'MTV2' showed one of the shorts last night.
I don`t know what the name of it was, but the animation was MESMERIZING. Very beatiful and dreamlike. It had a Japenese girl wandering a cityscape. Anyone know which one this was?
Old 05-11-2003, 05:32 PM
I believe you are referring to the short entitled "Beyond", where a group of kids discover a "haunted house", but it's actually a glitch in the Matrix.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:00 PM
" And how did you see the Animatrix on the big screen?" Hey SLIMX, in Australia they had a special screenings of the whole series on the big screen this weekend. (3 days only)..........oh and OOPS it was all 9 (nine) Animatrix shorts...

Last edited by Deckard; 05-11-2003 at 09:04 PM..
Old 05-11-2003, 10:40 PM
You know I just thought of something....

You know what "The Animatrix" really reminds me of?
"HEAVY METAL"! Think about it, it`s a bunch of different stories with a common theme, and each story is made by a different animation studio.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Deckard
" And how did you see the Animatrix on the big screen?" Hey SLIMX, in Australia they had a special screenings of the whole series on the big screen this weekend. (3 days only)..........oh and OOPS it was all 9 (nine) Animatrix shorts...
Ah, too bad nothing like that happened here.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:07 AM
I feel bad about that too, but I am damn well buying that DVD. I have seen 5 them and I hope the rest are good as well. If Deckard has seen them, he might recognize my avatar, which required some editing though. I have followed the development of this series since the beginnning and it has fascinated me. I will see reloaded soon, and put everything together. All Matrix info is spread out like a puzzle across all forms of media. It's nuts.

Also, if anyone has played Enter The Matrix, it also helps piece together the whole puzzle. The game rocks. It's fighting is simply mind boggling and it features both original and reloaded cut scenes. Rent it, even if you are or are not a matrix fan.

I think I got a little off topic. (But dammit, the Matrix is everywhere!)
Old 05-19-2003, 05:11 AM

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

after seeing the matrix Reloaded on opening day, i realised that in the movie they do mention the Osiris. i think that's definitely a treat for some of the bigger matrix fans that saw that animatrix episode... however it made me a little sad cause now knowing that the Osiris story was supposed to be a little part of Reloaded, it just makes me think that i could of saw Jue... and her butt for real. she would have been my favorite matrix character of all!

Old 05-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Just saw that The Animatrix is coming to video and DVD on June 3 (in the US, at least, not sure about anywhere else), just so you all know.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:08 PM
There is news of a special gift pack that will be available soon. It contains the DVD along with the soundtrack. Whether that soundtrack is Reloaded or the Animatrix itself, I do not know.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...023589-7889611
Old 05-23-2003, 04:55 AM
The Final Flight of the Osiris got it's 1st showing on TV the other day (or so they say) and that was f'in amazing! I loved the Final Fantasy type of animation but in the Matrix universe! The story was good too.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Some of the episodes were pretty good...others were just blah. I enjoyed Osiris, Second Renaissance, Kid's Story and Detective Story, but I can't say much for the rest. Matriculated especially sucked -- too long, boring and bizarre. I was kind of hoping for more connections to the movie, as we had been told it would reveal more of the story.

Love the Matrix and Reloaded (9/10 each), not a huge anime fan though. Maybe thats why I didn't enjoy it as much as some. I give it 6/10 overall.

By the way, anybody else find that Operation Dark Star or whatever (where they block out the sun) wasn't explained very well in Second Renaissance? I mean this would essentially make Earth uninhabitable, so you'd think there be more reasoning behind it, other than "well maybe they'll run out of power"...aren't there other energy sources in the world? And what exactly did they do to the sky that would block the sun for hundreds of years....to me it just looked like they put a layer of black shit in the sky...you'd think that would dissipate after a while. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by badberry

By the way, anybody else find that Operation Dark Star or whatever (where they block out the sun) wasn't explained very well in Second Renaissance? I mean this would essentially make Earth uninhabitable, so you'd think there be more reasoning behind it, other than "well maybe they'll run out of power"...aren't there other energy sources in the world? And what exactly did they do to the sky that would block the sun for hundreds of years....to me it just looked like they put a layer of black shit in the sky...you'd think that would dissipate after a while. Just my thoughts.
yea, i was expecting more of an explanation. however, i don't think that it would just dissipate. the pollution from our cars, planes, and other vehicles stays in the sky indefinitely- thus the reason for smog. so, if they took "concentrated pollution" and put it in the sky, it could reasonably stay there for years to come, especially since there seemed to be a lack of trees in most scenes (which help to clean the air in a sense). again, the concept wasn't well explained in the movie- it would have been nice to know what they were putting in the sky.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Just rented out the Animatrix on DVD yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

When I got it I was wary and just assumed it was some sort of PR stunt to promote the Matrix: Reloaded but was amazed by the amount of effort and development was put into the short stories by the Wachowski brothers/directors/producers and animators involved.

It think it explores perfectly the amount of doors of ideas that the original Matrix film opened.
You could easily do another 9 shorts on other aspects of the matrix be it in the Matrix itself or in the real world.

My favourite would be 'Matriculated' because it seems that a lot of thought was put into it and it flipped of a couple of original ideas upside down.

The Final Flight of the Osiris was a bit Hollywoodish and a bit glossy (although impressively) looking, but does add a neat little backdrop to Reloaded.

definitely a 8/10
Old 06-08-2003, 11:20 AM
yeah badberry and uncle_el, i suppose it was a little underdeveloped on why the skys were blackened in 'The Second Renaisance' and a bit unbelievable but i suppose like a lot of other things in the Matrix some things are barely explainable.

Did anybody else think that the programmed robots in the The Second Renaisance were a bit silly looking? I know that it was requested by the Wachowskis to have this original design but they do look a bit comical and hard to take seriously?

Or was this to portray the shock that something comical created by humans could end being such a threat?
Old 06-08-2003, 09:16 PM
I think the robots were created to look friendly. They used the robots for everyday life. Why in the world would they make them look all terminator-like? Scare the crap out of all the children?

And that pollution stuff would stay in the air for quite awhile. If a meteor/asteroid impacts Earth it will cover the entire Earths atmosphere with soot and crap sending us into an ice age, so that is basically what they tried to do only without the meteor. And unbelievable? Just remember that this takes place almost 200 years in the future, who knows what technology will bring.

Kid's Story was my personal favorite. I love the animation in it and I liked knowing about...well...the kid's story Is that the same animator that did the animated movie American Pop?

Matriculated was definately bizarre, but I loved the use of all the colors.

Flight of the Osiris was great cause it is an important side-story that goes along with Reloaded. I loved every minute of it. This is the type of cool action Final Fantasy should have been loaded with and it wouldn't have bombed at the box office.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Wurms
I think the robots were created to look friendly. They used the robots for everyday life. Why in the world would they make them look all terminator-like? Scare the crap out of all the children?

Flight of the Osiris was great cause it is an important side-story that goes along with Reloaded. I loved every minute of it. This is the type of cool action Final Fantasy should have been loaded with and it wouldn't have bombed at the box office.
good point on the robots! i guess we're so used to seeing terminator like robots, that you see these and you're like wtf? but it makes sense.

and i totally agree with your thoughts on flight of the osiris. much better than ff.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:04 AM
About the robots, it explains it in the bonus footage. The Matrix was originally a comic book, and the robots that first fought back looked like that. The Wachowski brothers wanted to keep the comic fans satisfied by keeping the original designs of the robots.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:46 AM
This is no longer a current movie, since it came out on DVD/VHS a week or so ago. Moving to Video Reviews...