Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" - A Modern Masterpiece!

New Line Cinema Presents. A Peter Jackson Film. "The Lord of the Rings.

Plot: "An ancient Ring thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frodo. When the great wizard Gandalf discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, Frodo must make an epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gandalf, Legolas the elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Aragorn (a Ranger with a mysterious heritage), Boromir, first-born son of the Steward of Gondor, and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise Gamgee. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Ring must go. Their quest to destroy the One Ring is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lord's reign! Based on the infamous trilogy by Oxford graduate, J.R.R. Tolkien.

Starring: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Liv Tyler, Sean Bean, Christopher Lee, Ian Holm, Orlando Bloom, John Rhys-Davies, Cate Blanchett, Bernard Hill, Mirando Otto, Karl Urban, Brad Dourif, and Andy Serkis.

Directed By: Peter Jackson

LOTR Writing Team: Frances Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, and Stephen Sinclair.

A New Line Cinema Release.

My Review: Filmmaking has long been an honored tradition the world over. From the days of Charlie Chaplin to the giant, and cheesy, monster movies of the 1950's to the big-budget effects summer bonanzas of today, film has been one of the popular mediums, if not THE most popular, of expression. Artists have poured their passions, hearts, and thoughts on to the silver screen for all to view. And, it seems, every director has one personal project, Sure, they must care deeply for all of their films, but there always seems to be that one. For Speilberg, it may be A.I. Artificial Intelligence. For Fellini it is most likely 8 1/2. For Peter Jackson, it very well could be these movies. The Lord of the Rings. Films based on a set of novels many call the definitive modern story. The story of a small Hobbit named Frodo who, against the odds, becomes the savior, if you will, of Middle-earth. At first, it is fair to say, fans of Tolkien, the story's creator, were terrified of Mr. Jackson. For he, minus Heavenly Creatures, was well-known for making gory horror/sci-fi fests, not epic films with swords, romance, and beauty. But everyone was extremely curious too. Long-lense cameras were seen trying to snap a glimpse of an Elf archer or a Hobbit hole. Then, finally, in December 2001, the first segment of the films was released to critical praise, Cave Troll-size box office receipts, 13 Oscar nominations, and, above all, IMHO, the love of fans who for over 3 decades have poured over maps, texts, and images detailing the land of Middle-earth. A giant success to say the least! But, I believe, also the creation of a great artist!

Elijah Wood stars as Frodo. Ever since he was a boy, Wood has been hailed as a remarkable actor with a pension for raw human emotions. I believe it was Roger Ebert who called him "the best child actor of his generation". Well, Wood has become an adult, and LOTR proves he is still a wonderful actor. He brings a sense of wide-eyed wonder to the Hobbit, and, as the films move on, a sense of pain and despair. He is the heart of the trilogy. A heart that beats with wonderful emotions and an immense sense of bravery. Excellent.

Sean Astin plays Samwise Gamgee, Frodo's friend and gardener. Astin gives the best performance of the trilogy. Astin obviously poured twenty helpings of heart and charm into it. Astin deserved a BSA nomination, but the MORONS at the Academy don't seem to see this. Screw them. Astin's Sam does not need awards. In the end, he'll live on like other great characters who never recieved Oscar nominations.

Viggo Mortensen is the trilogies' hero, Aragorn. Mortensen is the main flaw in the films for me. He is very good in it, no doubt, but at moments he lacks.... PASSION! I feel sometimes he really gets into it, but at others, mainly in TTT, he falls short of the greatness Strider deserves.

John Rhys-Davies is a real charmer as Gimli. Not a deep character by any means, but he is just hilarious. Along with Astin, he is the main comic relief. And, in a tight situation, Gimli does kick serious ass with that big-ass axe.

Andy Serkis ..... WOW! He is never "on the screen", but you can't help but feel he is the beating heart of this CGI being. A haunting and honest performance. The future of film in look, a great character on the inside.

Ian McKellen, of course, is brilliant as Gandalf. The way he delivers a line brings it power and a sense of wittiness. Gandalf is a real charmer and such a brilliant pivotal character in the films.

The rest of the cast is excellent. Jackson and team really compiled a group of hardworking actors from around the world. Everyone does their job well. I would like to mention everyone, but for time and space's sake, I will refrain from doing so.

The film's locales from the sweeping vistas of New Zealand to the sets are beautiful. A team of wonderful artists came together to create Middle-earth, and it is an eye-opener, make no mistake. God, I love the character of Samwise! He rules!

The make-up in this trilogy is no short of SPECTACULAR! The Orcs, Dwarves, Uruk-Hai, etc. are all images that either warm your heart or chill you to the bone. The imagination of WETA is unrivaled. They did an excellent job too creating a sense of realism. This world looks and feels as if it works on a day-to-day basis.

The writers have done an excellent job of turning the novels into films. Every character's soul is conveyed wonderfully. The events are intense and exciting. I especially loved a few sequences, such as Galadriel's opening voice-over. Beautifully haunting and smart.

Overall, I love both of these films. Both are proof that films can be amazing. Films can move you. Films can make you root for the heroes. Films can make you cry. These will go down in the books as the epics in which all future epics shall be compared to. I am still astonished that Jackson could create something so... perfect. A world has been created. A world has been lived in. The Lord of the Rings is the lord of modern epics! Also, as a sidenote, I do love Harry Potter a bit more, but I REFUSE to pit them against each other. Both are so different and both are, without a doubt, destined to be family classics!

10/10

Last edited by dh1989; 06-12-2003 at 05:48 PM..
Old 06-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" - A Modern Masterpiece!

Quote:
Originally posted by dh1989
New Line Cinema Presents. A Peter Jackson Film. "The Lord of the Rings.

Plot: "An ancient Ring thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frodo. When the great wizard Gandalf discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, Frodo must make an epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gandalf, Legolas the elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Aragorn (a Ranger with a mysterious heritage), Boromir, first-born son of the Steward of Gondor, and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise Gamgee. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Ring must go. Their quest to destroy the One Ring is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lord's reign! Based on the infamous trilogy by Oxford graduate, J.R.R. Tolkien.

Starring: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Liv Tyler, Sean Bean, Christopher Lee, Ian Holm, Orlando Bloom, John Rhys-Davies, Cate Blanchett, Bernard Hill, Mirando Otto, Karl Urban, Brad Dourif, and Andy Serkis.

Directed By: Peter Jackson

LOTR Writing Team: Frances Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, and Stephen Sinclair.

A New Line Cinema Release.

My Review: Filmmaking has long been an honored tradition the world over. From the days of Charlie Chaplin to the giant, and cheesy, monster movies of the 1950's to the big-budget effects summer bonanzas of today, film has been one of the popular mediums, if not THE most popular, of expression. Artists have poured their passions, hearts, and thoughts on to the silver screen for all to view. And, it seems, every director has one personal project, Sure, they must care deeply for all of their films, but there always seems to be that one. For Speilberg, it may be A.I. Artificial Intelligence. For Fellini it is most likely 8 1/2. For Peter Jackson, it very well could be these movies. The Lord of the Rings. Films based on a set of novels many call the definitive modern story. The story of a small Hobbit named Frodo who, against the odds, becomes the savior, if you will, of Middle-earth. At first, it is fair to say, fans of Tolkien, the story's creator, were terrified of Mr. Jackson. For he, minus Heavenly Creatures, was well-known for making gory horror/sci-fi fests, not epic films with swords, romance, and beauty. But everyone was extremely curious too. Long-lense cameras were seen trying to snap a glimpse of an Elf archer or a Hobbit hole. Then, finally, in December 2001, the first segment of the films was released to critical praise, Cave Troll-size box office receipts, 13 Oscar nominations, and, above all, IMHO, the love of fans who for over 3 decades have poured over maps, texts, and images detailing the land of Middle-earth. A giant success to say the least! But, I believe, also the creation of a great artist!

Elijah Wood stars as Frodo. Ever since he was a boy, Wood has been hailed as a remarkable actor with a pension for raw human emotions. I believe it was Roger Ebert who called him "the best child actor of his generation". Well, Wood has become an adult, and LOTR proves he is still a wonderful actor. He brings a sense of wide-eyed wonder to the Hobbit, and, as the films move on, a sense of pain and despair. He is the heart of the trilogy. A heart that beats with wonderful emotions and an immense sense of bravery. Excellent.

Sean Astin plays Samwise Gamgee, Frodo's friend and gardener. Astin gives the best performance of the trilogy. Astin obviously poured twenty helpings of heart and charm into it. Astin deserved a BSA nomination, but the MORONS at the Academy don't seem to see this. Screw them. Astin's Sam does not need awards. In the end, he'll live on like other great characters who never recieved Oscar nominations.

Viggo Mortensen is the trilogies' hero, Aragorn. Mortensen is the main flaw in the films for me. He is very good in it, no doubt, but at moments he lacks.... PASSION! I feel sometimes he really gets into it, but at others, mainly in TTT, he falls short of the greatness Strider deserves.

John Rhys-Davies is a real charmer as Gimli. Not a deep character by any means, but he is just hilarious. Along with Astin, he is the main comic relief. And, in a tight situation, Gimli does kick serious ass with that big-ass axe.

Andy Serkis ..... WOW! He is never "on the screen", but you can't help but feel he is the beating heart of this CGI being. A haunting and honest performance. The future of film in look, a great character on the inside.

The rest of the cast is excellent. Jackson and team really compiled a group of hardworking actors from around the world. Everyone does their job well. I would like to mention everyone, but for time and space's sake, I will refrain from doing so.

The film's locales from the sweeping vistas of New Zealand to the sets are beautiful. A team of wonderful artists came together to create Middle-earth, and it is an eye-opener, make no mistake.

The writers have done an excellent job of turning the novels into films. Every character's soul is conveyed wonderfully. The events are intense and exciting.

Overall, I love both of these films. Both are proof that films can be amazing. Films can move you. Films can make you root for the heroes. Films can make you cry. These will go down in the books as the epics in which all future epics shall be compared to. I am still astonished that Jackson could create something so... perfect. A world has been created. A world has been lived in. The Lord of the Rings is the lord of modern epics!

10/10

I agree with everything you just said. THESE are the films of the new 21st Century, just as how Star Wars was in the 20th century. I bite my thumb and spit at all the naysayers who keep tearing it down and moaning about how "overrated" it is. Overrated my ass, these are classics and will go down in Cinema history as to how to make good adventure and fantasy films.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:09 PM
I am a huge fan of LOTR! And by Huge fan I don't mean buying all the products and stuff, I mean by heart. When I first saw this film it teleported me into a new world, into middle earth filling me with so much thrill! With funny moments at the right places, frightening and emotional scenes this film is one of the best ever made in cinema history.

10/10 (It was 9/10 but seeing it another time, I raised the grade to a 10)
Old 06-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Looks like I'll be the first person not to rave, but I wasn't blown away by either. I'd give FOTR a C and TTT a B. I don't know, it might just be a genre I'm not too interested in, but I thought they were both too long, and FOTR was just too goddamn open-ended for me to bear. Please, don't lecture me on what FOTR was meant to be. I judge all films as individuals, not as a part of a whole.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:25 PM
FotR is great and TTT was good. Great acting, great directing, just an all around amazing story, oh yeah, and some laughable special effects. Peter Jackson really did deserve the Best Director Oscar for both movies...
Old 06-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Ditto, dh1989.

Everyone knows I'm a RIngnut, so I ain't even bothering...