Old 11-16-2001, 03:25 PM
Reviews: Cats & Dogs

JoBlo's 6/10 review of CATS & DOGS can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/catsanddogs.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended =
Not recommended =
In the middle =
Old 11-17-2001, 12:07 AM
CATS & DOGS (2001) Rating: 6/10

Judging from the theatrical trailers and TV ads, Cats and Dogs should have been one of the most hilarious movies of the year. I mean the trailers really worked. They were funny. But, sadly the end result is just plain ol' silly. This movie is definitely geared toward people under the age of ten. Don't get me wrong, though, the movie is entertaining enough to give it an okay rating, but, it's just too silly to be taken as a good movie (which is a 7/10 in my book). The silliest moment of the film comes when a dog bends an entire tree that a cat is up, and lets go making the cat fling off like it was a sling shot or something. Silly, I know.

I will say that the special effects in this film are pretty damn good. I mean the 'cats & dogs' really look like they're fighting, talking and frowning and all. The fight scenes were very well done, and I enjoyed the umpteenth parody of The Matrix in this film.

The movie is a bit biased, though, making you wanna root for the dogs, but I on the other hand didn't really care who won. All I knew was that the cats were funnier and more entertaining then the dogs. Like you JoBlo, one of my two favorite scenes came from when the ninja cats broke into the dogs home and kick all kinds of Matrix-style ass. My other favorite scene was with the deep-voiced Russian Kitty. My favorite lines came from Mr. Tinkles (voiced by Sean Hayes) and Calico (voiced by Jon Lovitz) at the end in the burning room when Mr. Tinkles says 'I want you to stay here' and Calico asks 'Why?' and Mr. Tinkles replies 'Because I hate you.' Pretty funny, I thought.

Overall, Cats & Dogs is entertaining enough to watch. It's a bit too silly at times to be appreciated by anyone over ten, but, yeah, kids will love it.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:25 PM
I was very dissapointed with this movie. They could have done a hell of a better job with the theme they had. While the cartoonish animals getting their faces squashed on the glass was adorable, the rest of this movie lacked. I felt the whole war thing was overdone and basically bored where it could have enhanced if they talked about cats and dogs hating eachother in general, every day life
Old 06-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Cats & Dogs - 5/10

I actually saw this damn thing in theaters two years with my girlfriend at the time, and vaguely remember walking out of the theater thinking "Hmmm, this was alright, but kinda stupid at the same time"... watching it again the other day on video, I stand firm with the "kinda stupid" stance..

The one thing I did learn from a second viewing was that Tobey Maguire did the voice of Lou, the lead doggie in this movie. Slapping my face, I realized that I didn't even notice who it was as the credits rolled up. He did about as well as a CGI dog could do, I guess.. but pretty much all the other characters were one-dimensional. Particularly in the human characters -- other than the scientist, none of them seemed lively; or they were just thrown in to complete the sole family that comprised the background of the movie.

The animals were impressive to look at and had a few kick-ass fight scenes -- but weren't really interesting or funny. I'm not a kid anymore, but I'm sure if I were I would probably have lightly chuckled at best (like some of the kids in the theater did) with the exception of a few modest laughs at Mr. Tinkles. "The Flickster" above pointed out the one really funny joke of the movie, when Mr. Tinkles tells one cat to stay behind "because I hate you". Other than that, most of the jokes were just silly, and pretty stale. I remember adults and kids alike cracking up over the maid making this evil kittie wear the "cute" outfits and take a bath and all that -- but jokes like that just didn't make me grin too much.

CGI -- good job in many areas. The cats and dogs looked as if they really talked, fell in with their mission, and in a nutshell were just plain cool. One gripe though -- was it just me, or did many of the CGI cats look like puppets? In one of the heavier duty fight scenes (the obvious Matrix parody), the ninja cat doesn't really look like a live cat at all -- either he just doesn't get enough tuna fish or he's got a human hand in his belly making him move. Kinda curious as to whether anyone else noticed it.

Not being prejudice to this as a kid's movie, it really DOES seem to be strictly for the kids, though probably not earth-shattering in that respect either. Tobey Maguire's role in Spider-Man was about 5 paces ahead of this one. However, not really horrible either .. just mediocre.

Last edited by The1TrueFrog; 06-17-2003 at 07:31 PM..
Old 06-18-2003, 09:43 AM
Absolutley charming movie for kids AND adults! Funny bits, funny dialogue, a total charmer of a film. Loved the whole concept of an underground headquarters and how they get there! The Ninja cats cracked our whole family up! Bring on Cats & Dogs 2 !