Old 06-19-2003, 12:33 AM
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

Rating: 10/10

Wow, I didn't expect to like this film that much. I expected it would be just good, thinking that it was considered so great and amazing because of James Dean's death. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. This is a great film. I think it's ahead of it's time, really, with many of it's themes still VERY prevalent today. Like the relationship between Jim and his parents, and the whole feeling like (or maybe even being) an outsider, etc. I know I felt that way in high school before I graduated in 2001 (and this was made almost 50 years ago!).

How about James Dean? Well, he's actually a very good actor! This is the first time I've seen him on film and he's absolutely heartbreaking ("You're tearing me apart!" -- that tore me apart! Also the scene at the end when he cries on his fathers knee, which I won't say why). I haven't watched any of his other films (only 3 ) but, he's a very good actor based on this film alone. I can't wait to see East of Eden and Giant. I also thought Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo were great. All three had great chemistry. I liked their little family unit that Plato really wish they had. All three were nominated for Oscars that year (except Dean, who received a (posthumous) nod for East of Eden (and another posthumous nod for Giant a year later) and they were well-deserved (well, Wood's and Mineo's, anyway, cause I haven't seen EOE (or Giant), but I'm sure he was).

The film is also very well directed by Nicholas Ray and I liked the screenplay as well, which as I said above, was ahead of its time in terms of the themes it deals with.

Sucks that the three leads were so cursed. I knew about Dean (road accident) and Wood (drowning), but I didn't know about Mineo. Apparently he was murdered (by stabbing) in 1976 by a stranger, while returning home from rehearsal of a play.

Last edited by The Other; 06-23-2003 at 02:07 PM..
Old 06-19-2003, 03:29 AM
Rebel Without a Cause. 9/10

Arguably the greatest teen film ever made and certainly still as poignant as it was on release.

With Beautiful cinematography and a well paced and textured script this film delivers well written charecters and entertainment.

The cast as mentioned is exceptional with Dean in top form and Mineo and Wood more than capable of holding the screen with him. Also interesting to see early Dennis Hopper , this film signified the start of a friendship with Dean that lasted till his demise.

Director Nic Ray (Johnny Guitar) helms the whole thing with an understanding of both his audience and the troubled teens being portrayed on screen.

A true must see that I adore for both the cast and amazing use of colour in the visual palatte.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:40 AM
For some reason I got the impression that Dean wasn't that great an actor. The few bits where he was crying seemed really fake to me.

Nevertheless, it's an excellent movie, with Natalie Wood giving the best performance of everybody (IMO).
Old 06-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Indeed.

An amazing film. I'm glad I rented it. 10/10.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:30 AM
The one thing that irked me some, was that James Dean looked too old to be a high school student. Well he was, cause he was about 23 at the time. But, today we see 20-somethings playing teenagers and some pull it off, but Dean actually looked his age, or maybe even a little older. Wood and Mineo looked like teenagers, cause they were.

Last edited by The Other; 06-19-2003 at 10:33 AM..
Old 06-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Just added it to my queue on netflix last night. My anticipation is really high thanks to you guys.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:50 PM

One of the most memorable films and the best teen flick ever made. Everything about it is quite wonderful really, especially James Dean's performance as the rebellious teen. I agree that he does look slightly old for the part of Jim but he nailed it and gave me a great impression, the characters are all ones that I can relate to and for that I like it even more. A film that does not disppoint, no matter how many viewings. 10/10
Old 06-19-2003, 10:06 PM
I sure hope you love it, bob....

One of my all time favourites. Not Dean's best performance (his best was in East of Eden), but damn, was he a rebel. Great direction, great story. Brilliant film.

10/10
Old 06-23-2003, 02:08 PM

Well, I've seen Rebel Without a Cause again and I've now uped my grade to a 10/10.

I also rented East of Eden today. I can't wait to watch it! Not only does it feature James Dean, but it's also directed by Elia Kazan (On the Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire). I hope it's as good as I think it will be.

Last edited by The Other; 06-23-2003 at 02:10 PM..