Old 01-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Feardotcom

I just picked this DVD up from my store. The picture is 2:35 and the extras are decent enough for a film that did very poorly at the box office. Even though this film did very poorly and despite the negative reviews it received, I enjoyed it very much and consider it to be one of the more underrated films of the year. It has amazing atmosphere, lots of gratuitous nudity and gore (I know those two qualities don't make a movie "good" but they're nice to have) and disturbing visuals. The DVD has a deleted muchroom sequence, a documentary on the visuals and story of the film, stills and lots of regular stuff. It's well worth the price if you're a fan of the film and I suggest those who haven't seen it to give it a try even though many reviewers gave it awful marks.

Here's my review of the movie.

Feadotcom- 9/10

Genre- Horror

Rating: US R/ Can R for Disturbing/Graphic scenes of Violence/Gore, Frequent Nudity, and Terror.

Director- William Malone

Cast:
Stephen Dorff .... Mike
Natascha McElhone .... Terry
Stephen Rea .... Alistair
Udo Kier .... Polidori
Amelia Curtis .... Denise Stone
Jeffrey Combs .... Styles

Plot:
After a few bizzare deaths occur, a detective tries to find the answers. All questions point to a site that, once you've visited, you have 2 days to live and by that time you'll die by the way of your fear.

My Thoughts:
I believe I am the only person on this board who actually loved this flick. I am well aware of the plot holes, copies from The Ring and the lack of much of a plot but I still loved it. This flick paints a perfect picture of death and darkness. The atmosphere is well presented and captured. Also, concerning the lack of gore...I really didn't see any lack of it, I found it quite solid actually. The plot basically tells about a site that kills by fear. It takes two days for it to take hold and then BAM! You die of fright. Stephen Dorff is on the case and accompanying him is the lovely Natascha McElhone, Stephen a cop and Natascha a health inspector. The story slowly unravels into...something and takes the viewer down into the mind of a serial killer. I didn't quite understand why the site worked. Maybe somewhere in Stephen Rea's rambling speaches he mentioned it but who knows? Anyway, each victim sees a little girl that leads to their death and has a hidden meaning (also a la Ring).

Acting- 8/10
Stephen Dorff impressed me. After hating the job he did in Blade (loved the movie though) my mind was set that he wasn't a talented actor. This performance was subdued and realistic and turned my mind around. Natascha McElhone also impressed me, but I was a fan long before this flick. Combs is Combs, he's amazing as usual but isn't handed a very well developed character. Stephen Rea is an outstanding actor but had little screen time to do him justice.

Directing- 10/10
The Stench of Death, Dark, Hollow, Creepy are all words that could describe the atmosphere accuretely. Malone does his thing and it looks awesome!

Gore- 9/10
A subway hit, slit throat victim, bloody gunshot wounds, a particularly nasty autopsy scene where several organs are removed, blood flowing from eyes, and tons of shots of gore flashing before your eyes. There's also a kick ass scene where a brain is exposed.

Nudity- 9/10
Lots! The german women shows breasts three times, the blonde being tortured shows breasts at the end, and we see lots of shots of nudity throughout.

Final Thoughts- Well, I loved it and I know most don't but I look forward to the negative reviews, so everyone post if you've seen it!

Matt
Old 01-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Is it possible that a movie not make much sense and still be entertaining. I guess so. That is how I felt pretty leaving Feardotcom. The ending just didn't make that much sense. Yet this is still an oddly gripping, dark, slick, stylish Seven like thriller(although not nearly as good). It has to do with this website that people visit and two days later they end up dead by hallucinating or something. Somehow Stephen Rea, in a bizarre but entertaining performance, figures in as a killer who likes to torture his victms that the main cop (solidly played by Stephen Dorff) was trying to catch. He is teamed up with a health examiner (a miscast Natascha McElhone).

7/10
Old 01-14-2003, 09:41 PM

Ahhhh! No! No! No! This movie was awful! Everything about it was bad, I can't think of many positive things to say about it than:

1. The Gore- Plenty of violence and it was pretty graphic.
2. The atmosphere- Awesome lighting and creepy sets.

Thats the onl;y two positive things I can say about this movie, it has absolutley nothing to offer!

3/10
Old 01-14-2003, 11:20 PM

FEAR DOT COM (2002)

Ugh! Definitely not the worst movie, but far from the best. Other than being mildly entertaining at best and having some neat lighting, I can't think of any redeaming qualities this flick had. It wasn't scary and didn't make much sense, and I don't even care to try and make sense of it because I JUST DON'T CARE. It's a pretty pointless movie that fails at pretty much everything it wants to be. I'm glad I saw it to get it out of my system, but I don't ever plan on watching it again.

Grade: 4/10 or D+ or ** of *****

By the way, I have a question:

******SPOILERS******

Why didn't the main chick die when she went to the site too?
Old 01-16-2003, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
FEAR DOT COM (2002)

Ugh! Definitely not the worst movie, but far from the best. Other than being mildly entertaining at best and having some neat lighting, I can't think of any redeaming qualities this flick had. It wasn't scary and didn't make much sense, and I don't even care to try and make sense of it because I JUST DON'T CARE. It's a pretty pointless movie that fails at pretty much everything it wants to be. I'm glad I saw it to get it out of my system, but I don't ever plan on watching it again.

******SPOILERS******

********************SPOLIER*********************** *

Stephen Dorff's character died not of web site but Stephen Rea's character killed him. So maybe that might have something to do with it. But I'm not entirely sure. Like I said, the ending didn't make much sense. I stilled found it to be an oddly gripping, absorbing and stylish little thriller.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
FEAR DOT COM (2002)

******SPOILERS******

Because it wasn't two days later and the killer was put to waste.

Matt
Old 04-23-2003, 06:06 PM
The Worst Film of 2002 and One of the Worst Films I Have Ever Seen!

FearDotCom

This film doesn't even deserve a true and thorough review because it's so Bad!

The absolute worst film of 2002. I thought that Extreme Ops was bad! Hell that film is pretty fucking good compared to this waste of film. Terrible, godawful, uninteresting, horrendously acted, terribly filmed, more plot holes than the size of the Grand Canyon, gratuitous, inconsistent, vile, headache inducing, horrid horrid horrid horrid horrid excuse for a film. Terrible terrible terrible!

I hope that the Stephen's (Rea and Dorff) and Natasha McElhone only did this for the paycheck, because they obviously couldn't have read the screenplay, and it is apparent that none of them even tried to give a decent performance.

FearDotCom (or as the website is feardotcom.com Puhleeze!) is one of the 5 worst films I have ever seen, right up there with Freddy Got Fingered, Children of The Corn 666, Grim, and Screen Test .

Shit Shit Shit Film.................awful........Aggggghhhhhhh!

F--------
Old 04-23-2003, 07:09 PM
One night, at around 2 am, some friends put in feardotcom.

Big mistake.

This pile of shite is the worst film I have seen in my life.

The film is a mess. It goes all over the place, and by the end, I had no fucking idea what was happening. The acting was terrible to say the least.

I really don't have anything to say about this film. It was horrid. I think the filmmakers tried to do something smart, but that failed.

0/10 or F
Old 04-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Horror whore
Ahhhh! No! No! No! This movie was awful! Everything about it was bad, I can't think of many positive things to say about it than:

1. The Gore- Plenty of violence and it was pretty graphic.
2. The atmosphere- Awesome lighting and creepy sets.

Thats the onl;y two positive things I can say about this movie, it has absolutley nothing to offer!

3/10
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't remember much gore, but the atmospehre was great. Other than that the movie was horrible! It's just like nothing.... I felt completely empty after watching it, like if i had just sat there and wasted my time watching nothing! Horrible movie, but that's my opinion, and I can't accept yours, even though mine is better.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:03 AM
I had read lots of bad things about this flick, but still checked it out. Stupid idea. This was released in cinemas in Australia in February 2003 and did poorly of course. The film had a lot of potential I think, but just ruined with non-sense. Stephen Dorff and Natasha McElhone felt off, Stephen Rea was wasted in a role that didn't make any sense to me and all the oppourtunities this film had to be a decent and scary horror film were just skipped over. I thought this film was gonna be like The Ring but with a website, but it was just a bad bad horror movie, with a website. I'm actually surprised this made it to cinemas. But that's just my take, i got nothing against anyone who likes this. It did have a creepy atmosphere and the premise was good but William Malone, who made the fun House On Haunted Hill, lost the plot very early on. 3/10

Had this gone straight to video with the shocking cover art it's receiving in Australia, I probably would've skipped it and wondered why Dorff, McElhone, great in Solaris, and Rea, who's usually good, bothered.

Poor cover art.

Last edited by FilmBuff84; 06-26-2003 at 01:08 AM..