Old 02-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Jackie Chan

PLEASE tell me that I'm not the only one on this board who hates this man with a passion. I don't see any acting abilities from this man and he thinks he's the king of the world! There are 1000 actors in Hollywood that are better than him. God, he needs to go away!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Agreed.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:53 PM
okay

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that . . .
Jackie Chan may not be the world's best actor, but was bruce Lee? Huh? HUH?! NOPE!
David Carradine?
Nope.
Leave poor Jackie alone.

Last edited by C-Desecration-; 02-06-2003 at 06:57 PM..
Old 02-06-2003, 07:15 PM
I agree with C... Jackie Chan knows that his acting ability is poor, but that doesn't make him bad in 'martial arts' field..and I don't believe Jackie ever said he is 'The King of The World'
Old 02-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Hey Hey Hey Lay Off Of Jackie..... he just needs to experiment with something different in his movie role choices sometime soon.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Jackie Chan's acting AND martial arts is better than:

Steven SUCK-ALL

Chuck SNORIS

Jean Claude CANNED HAM

Dollar for dollar and pound for pound, he is more beloved HERE and his home land, and for good reason... he's great. He's a lovable and likeable fellow with a good sense of self effacing humor... which those other HAS BEENS LACK.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:57 PM
I'd say he's an average actor, not the best, but certainly not the worst.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:12 PM
I'll say this much about Jackie: some of his moves/movies can be entertaining, to a certain extent...but after a while, they all seem like an exercise in the redundant.

Incidentally, for someone who consistently goes out of his way to tell folks that he does "all of his own stunts", I was stunned to see his "stuntman" win an award at last year's Stuntman Awards (no joke). I don't get it. If you have a stuntman, stop saying that you do all of your own stunts. We know you do MOST of them, but no need to lie.

Either way, his expertise and physique is highly impressive for a man his age (in his 50s?)
Old 02-06-2003, 11:42 PM
To quote Grebdron, Jackie's a whatever. When Tarantino wets himself over him, I just go to sleep. He's got a niche, he seems like a nice fellow...bless his heart.

On the other hand, (since he was mentioned), while Bruce Lee was only a fair actor, but that man had something that is simply a gift, which you can't learn: he had charisma. I hate the whole MA genre, but I will usually watch Lee's films, just to see him. The only MA film I will go on the record and recommend is Enter The Dragon, which he is unforgettable in. He was a natural and it shows in every image.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:44 PM
I think JC is aware of his limitations..but he's just managed to live the American Dream...how to turn your limitations into $$ millions... I suppose what makes JC tick is his ability to draw audiences to himself thru his own, Buster Keaton influenced style. But I'm not sure if within the next 5 years or so he would hit his Waterloo.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:55 PM
I think that he knows he's not a very good actor, but his success comes from his martial arts and occasional comedy. His best movie was from Drunken Master, which is a see it to believe type of movie. He still has potential, but his problem is that he's never in an American movie where the director actually knows how to use him. Just look at The Tuxedo for easy reference
Old 02-07-2003, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dude
pound for pound

That is appropriate for Steven Segal. When i saw him in the previews for that prison movie "Half Past Dead" or something, i was like....some fat dude took over his body.

Seriously though.....is something wrong with him.

AS for Jackie Chan....I think that most of his humor comes from "Hey look he's a foreigner ....doing funny foreigner stuff. Lets all laugh at the foreigner." I personally dont find him that funny without some slapstick in there.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JoBlo
Incidentally, for someone who consistently goes out of his way to tell folks that he does "all of his own stunts", I was stunned to see his "stuntman" win an award at last year's Stuntman Awards (no joke). I don't get it. If you have a stuntman, stop saying that you do all of your own stunts. We know you do MOST of them, but no need to lie.
Actually, Jackie Chan has admitted to using stuntmen in his last few American films. He's never lied about doing all his own stunts, because as a former stuntman and stunt choreographer he has a great deal of admiration for the profession. In a recent interview he said he had seven stuntmen doing some of the more dangerous stuff in "The Tuxedo", mainly because of his advancing age (he's 48), but also because he "won't do anything that is out of my capability".

I've been a huge fan of Jackie since before he became famous in the States. He's won awards for his acting in Hong Kong. If you want to see some of his best acting, watch "Police Story" and "Heart of Dragon". But I love his comedies that he worked on with Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung best. I recommend "Mr. Nice Guy" and "Wheels on Meals".

I thought he was hilarious in "Shanghai Noon".
Old 02-07-2003, 04:48 AM
I'm not real big on the guy. I find him humorous at times, but I get tired of seeing him do the same things in every movie. Like Joblo said, he is too redundant. He's like most asian martial arts actors, they do the same thing in every movie and I don't like that.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:55 AM
i like him, his stunts and i think he's funny
Old 02-07-2003, 05:55 PM
I really loved Drunken Master 2, and he's really funny sometimes, so I've got no beef with him.

I will say that, for pure fighting ability, he can't touch Bruce Lee.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:17 PM
I go to a Jackie Chan movie to be entertained. Nothing more. I don't judge his ability to act, the dialogue he says etc etc. I just judge how he entertained me and hes done very good with that. As for using a stuntman, yes but only in American movies. The studios do it because if he gets injured, they have to halt filming and if Im right that raises the budget. I also admire the fact that Jackie Chan admires all his fans.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Ok, he is not a great actor in alot of his films.

in Heart of Dragon, he overacted

but you people should see Police Story, Police Story 2, and The Accidental Spy in their origional language tracks. He is great in those 3 films.

But I love Jackie Chan, he should stop making U.S films though.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:55 AM

I dig the guy. He's fun, he's entertaining, he's an ok actor (not good at any extent, but good), and he's the best martial artist there is out there with Jet Li. I'm just fine with him.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Jackie Chan is my idol. I think he's great. He can do stuff that most of us could only dream of doing, and at 49 years of age, that is quite a feat.
I'll admit he's not going to win any oscars for his acting, but he has acting ability, just watch drunken master 2.

Quote:
Actually, he has a group of stuntman that he has trained personally and they are often used as bad guys that he fights. they are known as the JC Stuntgroup, and they have won awards for their contribution to Jackie Chan movies. they don't double for him.

in my personal opinion, jackie's the greatest. i wish i could do some of the things he does.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:38 AM
Nay.

I'm bored with his stunts and he's certainly not funny.

Nice guy but that doesn't mean he belongs in movies.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:29 AM
There's a documentary making the rounds on cable lately about Jackie Chan's stunt lab. Interesting stuff. The guy really takes his work seriously. Granted, he's not the world's best actor. But he's dedicated to what he does and that earns a thumbs-up from me.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:55 AM
Poor wee Jackie,

He's a nice enough dude (by the sounds of things)...and I wouldn't say the guy is egotistical.

Still, he's not exactly my bag...so I'm undecided.

Yanay!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:30 AM
i dont mind some of mr chans stuff, its good entertainment and kind of funny. sure, hes not hugely versatile, but in entertainment stakes you can normally count on the guy

yay
Old 04-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The 8 Ball

but you people should see Police Story, Police Story 2, and The Accidental Spy in their origional language tracks. He is great in those 3 films.
My mate from HK insists he's a great actor in cantonese, she's got good taste so I'll take her word for it

Personally I think other than his fighting ability his major plus is his charisma. I enjoyed both Rush Hour and Shanghai... movies because of some nice buddy chemistry; half of that is down to him
Old 04-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Actually, it seems quite a few people are judging him on his acting abilities in Rush Hour or Rush Hour 2. I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I could act very well in a foreign film. Although Jackie is past his prime, the movies he did in Hong Kong were amazing with limited resources and all. As well his acting was not terrible, as it appears in his American movies. Jackie is in the entertainment business, he's dedicated to his craft, and he's not looking for an Oscar.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:43 PM

Yay, He was hilarious in Shanghai Noon...
Old 04-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
I will say that, for pure fighting ability, he can't touch Bruce Lee.
For pure fighting ability he cant touch Chuck Norris or Steven Seagal either. Unlike Norris, Seagal, Lee, Lundgren, and to some extent, Li, Chan has always been acrobat/stuntman, actor, then martial artist, in that order. If you want to judge by pure fighting ability Chan wouldnt be in the top 5, or 10 for that matter. What makes Chan enjoyable is his nice-guy, funny acting. Chan is actually capable of inducing a chuckle on his own merit, something you definately cant say for Seagal or Norris.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:09 PM
It's true he's not much of an actor but I love to watch his stuntwork. And he has a lot of personality.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Like SIREN30, I too love to watch his stuntwork. I like the guy.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:13 AM
YAY! JC is one of my favourite actors, and he can act! He's not the best, but he can act! Please do not underestimate his acting skills, until you see his acting skills kicked into gear in"Crime Story" which is a very serious film. He won a golden horse (i think thats what its called) best actor award for his main role in it. I urge u ppl to check it out.