Old 07-10-2003, 06:13 AM
What other books have these elements?

I just finished reading IT by Stephen King yesterday and now I'm looking for another book to read, but each time I think of IT, I find myself either wanting to read it again or find a book like it.

Not a book with a similar plot, but a book that deals with friendship between children or teenagers, I think that was the number one reason why I loved IT so much....because of the friends and the relationships they have with eachother.

I don't care if the book is horror or what it is, as long as it has strong friendship elements between youth.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:35 AM
I would suggest picking up Stephen King's book Different Seasons. It has four short novels, three of which have been made into movies (Apt Pupil, Shawshank Redemption, The Body). The reason I recommend it is because the story The Body was filmed under the title Stand By Me. It also deals with friendship between children, as anyone who's seen the movie or read the story knows.
Also, Dreamcatcher (also by King) might be another good one.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons
Old 07-10-2003, 12:00 PM
THE TRAVELLING VAMPIRE SHOW by Richard Laymon would be a good choice - it has strong themes of freinship among young teenagers.

A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY by John Irving is excellent too.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:52 AM
Boy's Life by Robert R. Mcammon shares many similarities to IT as well, and its a damn fine novel too. Highly suggested.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:39 AM
I heard a lot about how good BOYS LIFE is, Dignan. But I tried to read it and found it so depressing that I had to stop reading. I must be the only person on earth who didn't like it!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by damned martian
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons
Damn right. What a great fucking book. There's a moment in this book where I actually thought the author had overstepped the boundaries of what I find acceptable in a work of fiction in terms of emotional manipulation. I was absolutely shocked, horrified and saddened and had to put the book down for a while. The only other books i've found that had a moment as devastating was Stephen King's The Stand and The Talisman. Summer Of Night is inarguably one of the finest horror novels I have ever read and is due a rereading some time soon (and I almost never reread books).
Old 07-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EoghainFOKeeffe
I heard a lot about how good BOYS LIFE is, Dignan. But I tried to read it and found it so depressing that I had to stop reading. I must be the only person on earth who didn't like it!
Depressing? It's been a while since I read it but I don't remember feeling depressed by the storyline. I found it to a mostly magical summing up of what it's like to be a kid. It reminded me a lot of Stephen King's The Body in the way the author seemed to understand what makes a childhood special and the sort of memories, both good and bad, that you will carry from those years into adulthood. A remarkable book.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:54 PM
It's interesting that BOYS LIFE affected me in that way. I just got this strong sense of depression from it. The story wasn't depressing at all, but there was something very heavy and depressing about the whole thing.

I found out, months later, that Robert McCammon gave up writing because it was triggering depression in him.

Maybe some people are more sensitive to that than others?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle. I'm not a fan of the author, but the book is very moving and the memories of childhood are hilarious.

Example?
The kids loved to swear in front of the teacher but have to constantly devise new and more ingenious ways to slip the bad language past him. One boy comes up with this piece of brilliance:

"Sir, arse-cunt, arse-cunt, arse-cunt, arse-cunt, arse-cunt.....are Scunthorpians people from Scunthorpe? "

I nearly wet myself the first time I read that line.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:54 AM
Have you seen the film Stand By Me, look for the book
Old 08-06-2003, 01:04 AM
Harry Potter 3 - 5. 5 deals the most with teh friendship and it is the greatest book ever
Old 08-06-2003, 01:14 AM
Highly recommend McCammon's 'Boy's Life' and Simmons' 'Summer of Night.' The latter is part of a series of sorts, and has a sequel, 'A Winter Haunting.' Both are pretty damn scary.

Joe Lansdale's recent works, The Bottoms and A Fine Dark Line, both have young protagonists. Both great reads.