Old 08-10-2004, 04:10 PM
End of Evangelion

(NOTE: even though it's a feature film, I'm still going to include this under television series, and will therefore rate with a letter grade)

The conclusion to the hailed Evangelion saga has arrived. Is it the perfect cap-off to the series? Well, while this movie is not necessarily in the spirit of the Evangelion series, it is undoubtedly better, so fans approach with a weary eye and the uninitiated strap yourselves down for a hell of a ride.

The last angel has been defeated. No more will they threaten humanity. Yet when one threat falls another rises: the sinister SEELE organization is planning to gain control of NERVís magi. And they will use any means necessary to get it.

The voice acting present here is . . . letís just say I canít find a word positive enough to describe it. But I can say that itís the best youíll hear. At least, the Japanese voices . . . since the American ones are awful. Unless youíre watching it just for imagery, definitely go with subtitles.

The direction in EoE is astounding, but the director (Hideaki Anno) isnít responsible. He got so much help from outside industries that EoE is more of a ďteam effortĒ than a solo. And what an effort it is: amazing camerawork during action, interesting, innovative angles during the quiet moments, everything you could ask for. Certainly a cut-above most anime.

EoEís soundtrack is a mixture of classical and home-grown tunes that never fail to complement their scene. A great soundtrack, no doubt, but not particularly stand-out. Special note goes to the orchestral beats while Unit 02 rips apart SEELEís military.

Thereís a lot of hype surrounding anything Evangelion. Most of the time, itís unfounded. Evangelion is one of those classics that people appreciate for what it accomplished, but recognize that it fails to stack up to modern-day series. This movie, on the other hand, manages to duck that and could very well be timeless. This is mainly due to its ground-breaking action (think Matrix) and absolutely awesome visuals.
Unfortunately there are some detractors . . .

The main flaw in Evangelion is its inability to create realistic philosophy. If you thought the waning, forget-it jabber in the Matrix sequels was bad, you havenít seen anything yet. The basic structure is take something obvious and try to make it complicated. This becomes painful during an extended scene inside Shinjiís head later in the movie. This isnít thought-provoking stuff, but the movie not only pretends it is, but thinks that itís BRILLIANT. Whatís worse is when a few choice characters bring up conflicts so clichť that your eyes will be stuck in a perpetual roll.

Another problem is character continuity. A few of the characters do things against their nature. Makes me wonder if the creator didnít need to brush up on the original Evangelion series before writing this.

Whatís good? Well, aside from the utterly mind-blowing voice acting, visuals, and twists, thereís this fiery redhead named Asuka Langley. Her action scenes are bar-none some of the best I have ever seen. Considering this movie was made in 97í, thatís quite an accomplishment. In fact, every scene involving her is top-notch and really keeps the movie from dragging. Not only does she undergo a clever, adrenaline-pumping character arc (ďNow I understand . . .Ē), but in her Unit 02 completely tears apart a barrage of choppers and battleships, rips creatures in half, cuts off legs, snaps necks, and plenty more visceral fun. The fact that her scenes conclude into a heart-wrenching finale makes her presence the highlight (for the uninitiated, she will be the only thing you recall after working your way through).

Speaking of violence, EoE has lots of it. The movie is extremely gory and - despite seeing what Iíve seen - there is one scene in particular I havenít worked up the nerve to go through again. Not because itís particularly graphic, but it carries so much weight itíll snap you in half.
This is a problem though; such violence isnít in the spirit of the series. This movie, basically, is when Evangelion started to take itself seriously. While I think thatís a good thing, plenty of fans were miffed after watching the movie and discovering it slightly altered from their beloved series. But I welcome the change.

End of Evangelion is a great movie. The animation is stellar, and the cast and crew from the television series are all present and accounted for. Really, nothing could go wrong and, aside from a change in tone (which I appreciated), nothing did. The flaws EoE carries were also present in the series. On the other hand, the rest is so much better that I canít help but call this movie spectacular and say that, without a doubt, it is the best thing the Evangelion universe has yet offered. Even if itís pretentious tendencies are very prominent, they donít amount to much when stacked against what else EoE has to offer. Give it a shot, whether loyal fan or uninitiated viewer.

Voice acting thatíll freeze your spine, eye-watering visuals, blistering action (I couldnít walk for a week!), and a few uselessly talky pieces make EoE a worthwhile end that, while keeping the problems of the series, is better than the series because it improves everything else. Very underrated.

A- --an amazing series finale and great overall movie

REVIEW DATABASE

MOVIES:

28 Days Later : 7/10
8mm: 9/10
Alien : 6/10
Audition : 7/10
August Underground : 5/10
Battle Royale : 8/10
Cannibal Holocaust : 9/10
Dawn of the Dead : 5/10
Day of the Dead: 8/10
The Dead Zone : 7/10
Donnie Darko : 10/10
The Eye : 7/10
Elephant : 6/10
Freaky Friday: 8/10
Ginger Snaps : 7/10
Hardcore : 6/10
Hellboy : 6/10
House of 1000 Corpses : 4/10
House of Sand and Fog : 9/10
Hulk : 10/10
Irreversible : 8/10
Kill Bill Volume 1 : 8/10
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist : 7/10
Last House on the Left: 3/10
May : 10/10
Memento : 8/10
Mulholland Drive : 7/10
Near Dark : 6/10
One Hour Photo : 9/10
Perfect Blue: 9/10
Requiem For a Dream : 8/10
Se7en : 9/10
Terminator 2: Judgment Day : 10/10
Thesis : 6/10
Underworld : 7/10
Willard : 8/10

TELEVISION
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (season 5) : A
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Perfect Collection : B-
End of Evangelion : A-

BOOKS
Stephen King's IT : 5/5 stars

Last edited by C-Desecration-; 09-20-2004 at 05:08 PM..
Old 08-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Cheater.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And yes, I consider this to be downright HORROR.

Cover:

Cast:
Megumi Ogata - Shinji Ikari
Megumi Hayashibara - Rei Ayanami
Kotono Mitsuishi - Misato Katsuragi
YŻko Miyamura - Asuka Langley
Yuriko Yamaguchi - Ritsuko

Plot:
Replacing the series' original finale (Episodes 25 and 26), this story begins where Episode 24 ("Knocking On Heaven's Door") left off. New episodes entitled "Air" And "My Purest Heart For You". I don't want to spoil anything.

What I Thought:
What happened to the memorability in movies? Until very recently, I hadn't seen anything really memorable in any movie. Well, thank God, "The End Of Evangelion" came home. This was, without a single doubt, the most memorable movie experience I have ever had, animated or otherwise. I must say that when I first saw this movie I knew SHITE about the series. Literally, I hadn't even glanced at any of the 24(26) episodes that go before it and the first watch of this movie was enough to boost it to my top twenty. It quickly acended into it's deserved #3 movie of all time.

If you read myNeon Genesis Evangelion review, you can tell that I quickly became a fan. Either way, I'll try to review this one on it's own two feet. This movie plays like two long Eva episodes, including the "To be continued" tag in the end of 25 and the ensuing credits. The story of "The End Of Evangelion" is, basically, the physical depiction of what went on down during the last two episodes and it got ugly. This is what people wanted to see, taking all the good stuff from the darker NGE episodes and taking them to a new level. As many said, this is the ultimate "fuck you!" to fans (trust me, it's not as it sounds, you'll have to see). From the very very beggining, this movie guarantees to make fans of NGE uncomfortable (the hospital room scene anyone?) and hints us that this movie has zero kiddy wackiness or content, it's all adult oriented with a lot of scenes of violence, nudity and brutality. Also, included comes the best and craziest visuals that will ever hit the screen, the images that make up Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The story flows quickly and without holding any punches, showing us the final moments with all our favorite characters (except some) witnessing the end. Anno created the universe he now sits to end and I loved the ultra conclusive atmosphere spread wide through it's short lenght, I also loved the very bright look, it makes a great contrast with the ultra dark events going on. And everyone, hats off to Hideaki Anno for bringing us the BEST FUCKING ACTION SEQUENCE you will ever see anywhere courtesy of the beloved Asuka and her trusty Evangelion Unit 02. Damn, you just wait until you see that, it gets my blood pumping every single time I watch it. Thank god, this movie isn't only a redhead kicking ass, we also get to see some of the most dramatic moments and insightful philosophy and symbolism. I'd lie if I said I went over a lumpy throat in key scenes of the movie. Also, I never thought I could watch a 40 minute long sequence as many times as I have (yes, 'that' final scene). Anno came home and answered a lot of the questions raised in the series and leaving others open on the air. Another thing worth mentioning is the soundtrack. Wow, that added so much quality! Those moments in the series with a classical score are back with an equally great soundtrack and songs written only for the release of this movie. The score (and in times lack of one) fit the images and supports.

The voice acting (in Japanese, the acting in english is almost ridiculous) is, no doubt, the best I have ever scene and together with the top notch animation, it makes it unforgettable. The actor playing Shinji is downright AMAZING (I didn't know a human could scream that much), he delivered the extreme sadness, fear and grief like a champ. He's, obviously, not the only champion but I want to make a special note to Asuka. Fuck me THAT's acting. In short, everyone involved does GREAT. You'll be delighted to know that all actors return to their respective roles.

Gore:
You get gore allright. Cut off leg, cut off arm, knife stabbed in head, someone torn in half with an ensuing blood bath, someone's head broken in two, someone getting an eye gouged out, an arm splitting in two, an arm falling off, someone stabbed, a couple of gunshot wounds, someone blown the hell up and more blood. This IS violent.

Overall Rating.
"10/10". This movie deserves that just for being the most memorable movie experience I have ever had. Great acting, characters, direction, score and visuals. This is the perfect conclusion to the eternal Neon Genesis Evangelion saga.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 08-10-2004 at 04:17 PM..
Old 08-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Oh come on! Don't tell me no one else has seen this gem?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:28 PM
I have only seen this film once *so far*, however... FUCK. ME. DEAD. This is one anime feature that one should see (for the uniniated, please see the rest of the series first before checking this rip-roarer out). As the song goes 'Let the bodies hit the floor!'

We have a whole lot of disturbing images, sensual moving lines (animation that is) as well as very fitting voice acting.

Personally, I didn't mind the English dub at all. The actors did their job accordingly, and mind you, dubbing a foreign film is NOT an easy thing to do, so please keep that in mind.

This film, while it answers many questions asks new ones, and that will frustrate you, no argument, but, this is one enjoyable ride that you will be able to forgive it quite easily. Besides, a bit of healthy mind fucking is never out of order.

For this first time viewer, it gets an 8/10 for me *though it will change when I venture into it more*
Old 08-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tagia_Romero
*though it will change when I venture into it more*
DAMN RIGHT YOU ARE!!

*looks at audience* Sorry. Ahem. *straightens tie* Do change it.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:01 AM
*Extends claws and lolls tongue*

You want to start this again, Lycan? Meet me behind the board.

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
DAMN RIGHT YOU ARE!!

*looks at audience* Sorry. Ahem. *straightens tie* Do change it.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Personally, I didn't mind the English dub at all. The actors did their job accordingly, and mind you, dubbing a foreign film is NOT an easy thing to do, so please keep that in mind.

. . . what does this picture have to do with anything?
Who knows.

*walks off*
Old 08-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Desecration-
Bah.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Quote:
*Extends claws and lolls tongue*

You want to start this again, Lycan? Meet me behind the board.
IT'S ALREADY BEEN STARTED! *meets her behind the board*
Old 08-29-2004, 12:22 AM
*Looks to audience*

Time me.

*Undoes collar and jumps behind the board*
Old 08-29-2004, 12:40 AM
*walks out with shirt ripped open five minutes later*
Ahem . . . yeah . . . EoE ROX!!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Quote:
*walks out with shirt ripped open five minutes later*
Ahem . . . yeah . . . EoE ROX!!

*Dusts hands off*

And that's the way it is.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:19 AM
HA! I'm sure you think this is over, eh? HELLGIRL?

Just a small heads up for anyone who watches the movie. This stuff MUST be seen!

*MASSIVE SPOILERS*

-When Misato is shot, she falls to the ground and gives her final words. The second "Rei" appears beside her, press pause and go ahead a few frames. When the ground explodes, look at the sides of the explosion. That's Misato's upper half and her legs flying around. Talk about detail!

-When the S2 Lance Of Longinus pierces Evangelion 02's eye, look at Asuka in the following scene, when the internal power ends. Yes, that's blood pouring from HER FUCKING EYEBALL.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:58 AM
Quote:
HA! I'm sure you think this is over, eh? HELLGIRL?

Just a small heads up for anyone who watches the movie. This stuff MUST be seen!

*MASSIVE SPOILERS*

-When Misato is shot, she falls to the ground and gives her final words. The second "Rei" appears beside her, press pause and go ahead a few frames. When the ground explodes, look at the sides of the explosion. That's Misato's upper half and her legs flying around. Talk about detail!

-When the S2 Lance Of Longinus pierces Evangelion 02's eye, look at Asuka in the following scene, when the internal power ends. Yes, that's blood pouring from HER FUCKING EYEBALL.
'HELLGIRL'? Any way related to Hellboy?

Yes, I listened to the commentary on that one and I noticed both of these things. They look so fragging wrong but also equally compelling. Wonderful animation right there.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Quote:
'HELLGIRL'? Any way related to Hellboy?
I was thinking "Hellsing" but whatever floats your boat.

Sorry, I'll lay off the Family Guy quotes. For real.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Quote:

Thanks a lot, x. Here's a bag of stone, why don't you rearrange my teeth. Or here, have a scythe, see if you can't make me into two.

At least you can barely see anything . . .

Quote:
but whatever floats your boat.
That's a common expression.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Quote:
That's a common expression.
Oh shut up!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:22 PM
ahhhh, End of Evangelion

the Finale to a awesome series. ive never seen the original 2 final episodes so i cant compare them to this, but this was amazing. one of the things that kept me watching the series was the animation which was excellent, here it is amazing, wonderful colours are used and the battle scenes are breathtaking.

although im still not sure about the ending to the series, im still confused by it i loved the damn thing and its a worthy ending to the series

10/10
Old 09-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Got that right Cronos. This was Anno's 'fuck you' to unsatisfied fans, and does it flip the bird or what?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Oh shut up!
This proves that Lycans aren't known for their patience.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Quote:
This was Anno's 'fuck you' to unsatisfied fans, and does it flip the bird or what?

I don't get this. So . . . let's give every character their moment in the sun, stellar animation, some not-seen-at-the-time action scenes . . . as a fuck-you?
The fact that this anno guy worked in his mental breakdowns to the show is weird enough. This just seals the deal: the guy is off his rocker.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:46 PM
**SPOILERS**

Quote:
I don't get this. So . . . let's give every character their moment in the sun, stellar animation, some not-seen-at-the-time action scenes . . . as a fuck-you?
More like "let's give every character their moment in the sun, and then make every fan uncomfortable when they see Shinji wacking off to Asuka, Misato getting shot and blown up, Ritsuko getting shot, Gendo having his head lopped off, Asuka getting her eye gouged out, etc . . . I bet anyone who saw the series felt the 'up yours'.

Quote:
This proves that Lycans aren't known for their patience.
Oh shut up! This only proves that No Life are . . . uh . . . nosy. Yeah.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 09-23-2004 at 02:49 PM..
Old 09-24-2004, 03:22 AM
C, C, C... you and your overtly-analytical nature.

This 'fuck you' was the alternate ending, which was, at the end, 'nice', with the 'ideal life' happening. EoE was 'fuck you' in that people died in masses, ambiguity ran rampant and despite the evolution of humanity *or rather, deconstruction*, at the end, you don't have a smile on your faced caused by a happiness in that everyone lived and got what they wanted, but rather they returned to a primal form when they were all one.

That is what I mean, that is my opinion, hai?

Quote:
The fact that this anno guy worked in his mental breakdowns to the show is weird enough. This just seals the deal: the guy is off his rocker.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:24 AM
Quote:
**SPOILERS**

Oh shut up! This only proves that No Life are . . . uh . . . nosy. Yeah.
Oh bitch, bitch, bitch.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:03 PM
This probably wasn't a good idea but this was the first time I ever saw Evangelion. I enjoyed but upon viewing further installments of the series....I don't know, I didn't get into it as much as I thought I would. Or should I say as much as my sister expected me to? Don't know what it was but I jes' couldn't do it.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Right, since the movie is better than the series (much better). That's always what happens with people who watch the movie first. Happened with me too. You see the flick, get to the series, and then are all bent out of shape.
At least that's the cycle I ran through.

As for miss priss up there, wasn't EoE 'the' finale? I mean without it NGE's makes no sense, and I thought that was because EoE would've been the finale if anno had the budget at the time. So I thought it was always what he wanted. And since NGE got really popular later on he just figured he'd cap it off.

Quote:
That is what I mean, that is my opinion, hai?
Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it so.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Right, since the movie is better than the series (much better). That's always what happens with people who watch the movie first. Happened with me too. You see the flick, get to the series, and then are all bent out of shape.
At least that's the cycle I ran through.

As for miss priss up there, wasn't EoE 'the' finale? I mean without it NGE's makes no sense, and I thought that was because EoE would've been the finale if anno had the budget at the time. So I thought it was always what he wanted. And since NGE got really popular later on he just figured he'd cap it off.

Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it so.
Naturally, but it is still AN opinion, not the end all be all. That is all.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilDeadGirl
This probably wasn't a good idea but this was the first time I ever saw Evangelion. I enjoyed but upon viewing further installments of the series....I don't know, I didn't get into it as much as I thought I would. Or should I say as much as my sister expected me to? Don't know what it was but I jes' couldn't do it.
No fear hon. Like all movies, it will appeal to different people.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Now I'm getting confused. I think we overlapped too many jokes and now it's just . . .
But hey, that's what I get for quoting simpsons instead of FG.

Good news though--the more posts here and more people shamble on in and get wise to EoE.

Old 09-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Nice promotion there.

So yes, though 'EoE' won't appeal to all, it is still worth a look.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilDeadGirl
Yeah, what Tagia said, both me and C-Desecration- saw EoE before watching a single NGE episode. Right now, EoE is my favorite movie and NGE my favorite series.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:46 PM
It's nice not to be alone.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Bump.

I think I have seen this movie around . . . what, 30 times? I'm getting ready to watch it again, now that I ran through the series again.

10/10.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Odd pic I found.

The second one is the cover of a italian SciFi magazine from the 60's
Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
^

interesting

funny this should be bumped up, i was just considering watching this again
Old 08-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cronos
^

interesting

funny this should be bumped up, i was just considering watching this again
Good. Do it.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Good. Do it.
oh. i will
Old 08-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cronos
oh. i will
Oh, you better!

Anyway, all this EoE talk just forced me to watch it again. Good thing it's a short movie, I can just watch it forever.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:00 PM
just watched it again and its just as good as i remember

id forgotten how great the soundtrack was

Last edited by Cronos; 08-18-2005 at 03:06 PM..
Old 08-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Evangelion prequel?

Probably just a dumb rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me if Gainax decided to do it. They seem to be running out of ideas of how to get more money form Eva.