Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who should star as BATMAN?
Jake Gyllenhaal 7 8.54%
Christian Bale 64 78.05%
Joshua Jackson 3 3.66%
Cillian Murphy 5 6.10%
Henry Cavill 0 0%
Eion Bailey 1 1.22%
Hugh Dancy 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2003, 07:59 AM
Who should star as BATMAN?

Cast your vote and have your voice heard in the casting for Christopher Nolan's BATMAN. The shortlist of actors testing for the part was announced today and if you were Nolan or a WB exec, who would you choose?
Old 09-03-2003, 08:07 AM
I'd definitely choose Christian Bale.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:34 AM
EASILY Christian Bale...out of the choices listed. I would say Guy Pierce would be a good option!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:02 AM
I'd choose Bale out of these candidates as well. But I'd think Billy Crudup is also part of the announced shortlist, although I don't see his name on Joblo.com's versions anywhere. He'd be a pretty good choice too, in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:04 AM
I think Jake Gyllenhaal would be the best from that list if he was slightly older than he is now.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Christian Bale. He's the only one imaginable as the dark knight from that list, and wouldn't be as pathetic looking in a bat suit as Gyllenhall would be
Old 09-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Sr. Bale, of course.

He's got the looks, the body, the marcial arts and he's a fine actor.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:54 AM
CHRISTIAN "BATMAN" BALE

See, it even fits in nicely as a promotional middle name.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:51 AM
That would be Christian Bale. As much as I like Jake Gyllenhaal, he's no Batman.

Guy Pearce would have been the ultimate Bruce Wayne/Batman, I'm extremely disappointed he's no longer in consideration.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:17 PM
BALE

He would so awesome, this guy would make Keatons performance look like something from Swept Away.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Delfonics
He would so awesome, this guy would make Keatons performance look like something from Swept Away.
Don't make fun of Swept Away! Brilliant movie, almost as great as Gigli...

Old 09-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Christian Bale was BORN to play Batman.

I like this list minus Joshua Jackson. I see him more as Robin then the Dark Knight.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Christian Bale
Old 09-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Christian F'N Bale!
Old 09-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Cillian Murphy, actually. Despite my dislike for the film itself, his raw and intense performance in Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later screams a form of Batman that makes him depressed, rugged, angry, and loosing control more and more as time goes by. That's the Batman I want to see on the silver screen come 2004, ergo Mr. Murphy recieved my vote.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Henry Cavill?
Eion Bailey?
Hugh Dancy?

Who the hell are these people?

Gimme Christian anytime anywhere!

(Joshua Jackson!!?? For God's sake! That would be worst than a Schumacher Batman!)
Old 09-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Christian Bale, he's the best choice of that.

Gylenhall isn't too bad, though.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Bale is my choice. But I desperately would rather see Guy Pearce as Nolan's Batman. Oh well.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dh1989
Cillian Murphy, actually. Despite my dislike for the film itself, his raw and intense performance in Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later screams a form of Batman that makes him depressed, rugged, angry, and loosing control more and more as time goes by. That's the Batman I want to see on the silver screen come 2004, ergo Mr. Murphy recieved my vote.
well put, exactly what i had in mind (even up to the dislike part ). Cillian Murphy got my vote.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Christian Bale

Hi;

My choice without a doubt is Christian Bale .... every since I saw him in American Psycho I said to myself this actor will prove himself to be a great one .... every since I've seen him in Shaft, Reign of Fire and Equilibrium. I hope they don't screw this one up because the last Batman movie was simply BAD .... a 0/10 to this effect.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Christain Bale - He totally has the look and has been the guy I've wanted to take the role since the beginning.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Jake Gyllenhal followed (somewhat closely) by Bale.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:16 PM

Christian Bale, baby...Christian Bale!
Old 09-03-2003, 06:23 PM
I see a couple of Cillian Murphy supporters. I think he'd make an interesting choice, though there's something about him I don't quite think would fit. He seems too young or something. I'm weird, though. As I said, he would be interesting, and maybe he'd surprise me.

I'd love to know who the hell Henry Cavill, Eion Bailey, and Hugh Dancy are...I just can't imagine the trailer:

"And starring Hugh Dancy as Batman!"

Ugh...
Old 09-03-2003, 06:33 PM
Other:

I don't think Bale has the star power yet. I'm going with an Ethan Hawke-Sam Rockwell typish.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Christian Bale, Guy Pearce or Sam Rockwell.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Not happy with the list

I really dont like any of the names from the list, Im voting for Ethan Hawke, and Guy Pearce as second choice.

And if they finally film some day the Return of the Dark Knight my choice for Batman would be Sam Shepard, and for the Joker... David Bowie
Old 09-03-2003, 10:34 PM
None of them. I'm not a fan of Christian Bale's. I don't know maybe that will change after I see Laurel Canyon and Equilibrium but I don't really think he's that great of an actor.

I think Jake Gyllenhaal and Joshua Jackson are fine actors but they are too young.

I definately think Guy Pierce is the best choice of the names that have been linked. I really hope Christopher Nolan chooses him if he can't get Michael Keaton back.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Guy Pearce would make a fine Batman, but I think that Christian Bale would serve as a most excellent choice. He's got the dark, brooding intensity needed to play the Dark Knight, and let's face it: he can help get women into the theater, which is always a good thing for action/comic book films! I really think his performance would be one to watch. As for Gyllenhall, he is far too young and almost too naive/innocent looking. I just don't buy him as the dark anything. Joshua Jackson? That guy is Pacey from Dawson's Creek, for heaven's sake! I think that he is an OK, affable actor, but again, he seems just a little too sweet and innocent to play the caped crusader. Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best!
Old 09-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Why the hell are all the choices for Batman young bucks; I want Michael Keaton or Clooney to do Batman again hell I'd even settle for Kilmer again.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:37 AM
Gimme a "B"!
Gimme a "A"!
Gimme a "L"!
Gimme a "E"!

Whatcha got?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by urs74
Why the hell are all the choices for Batman young bucks; I want Michael Keaton or Clooney to do Batman again hell I'd even settle for Kilmer again.

WORD well good news for us clooney was on some entertainment tonight show like 10mins ago and said he was goina start shooten batman 5 at the end of 2003 - my dad just came in and told me... 1st ive heard about it?
Old 09-04-2003, 03:51 AM
Hey, upcomingmovies.com has Billy Crudup as another possible candidate for Batman/Bruce Wayne. I still think Guy Pearce is a better choice but between Crudup and everyone else, Crudup is definately the best choice.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:12 AM
I must say Nolan and Warner Brothers have assembled a fine crop of actors for to play The Dark Knight (Josh Jackson excluded). Any one of these guys (Josh Jackson excluded) could be cast and I'd still be happy as a pig in shit.

BUT, if I had my say I'd take Cillian Murphy. He just has this awesome charisma like Paul Bettany and Jude Law. Plus he displayed a very creepy dark side in 28 Days Later that is pure Bruce Wayne.

Christian Bale seems to be everyones dream choice and yes he is pretty solid for the part but it just seems so...redundant for him.
But like I said, if he got picked I'd still be happy.

May the best man win (Josh Jackson excluded).
Old 09-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by urs74
i was wondering this too...is this a prequel film of sorts?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Younger actors are being chosen since they're "taking it back to the roots" which means it's a quasi-prequel. My analysis on each person.

Christian Bale: He has the build, the talent, the intensity, and a darkness beneath the surface element that Wayne needs.

Cillian Murphy: I'm interested in this one, given his very raw performance in 28 Days Later. I'm not sure if what we saw in it will be necessary for Bruce Wayne, but he seems like he could pull it off.

Joshua Jackson: Well, at least he's better than Ashton Kutcher. But I'd hate it if he was chosen, since he would bring back Pacey memories, and would come off as a more sarcastic, witty Bruce Wayne than the dark, brooding one that suits the character.

Jake Gyllenhall: I really don't know why the fuck they would put Donnie Darko in the role of Batman. People are gonna wonder why the Peter Parker look alike is Batman, when he should be busy fighting Dr. Octopus. Not to mention he looks like a pussy, and like almost all of his roles, he'll come off as the droopy-eyed, sad, misunderstood Batman than the Batman we all know
Old 09-04-2003, 06:41 PM
No one... The first Batman was good, the second was good too, but after that it all went to shit.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:57 PM
The person I can see playing "BATMAN" is Christian Bale!!
Old 09-04-2003, 07:44 PM
I'd say Cillian Murphy would be fantastic.

Bale would work too.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:19 PM
The age of "Batman" is over. Nolan should back out now.