Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2004, 12:19 PM
** ASK YOUR SHAUN OF THE DEAD QUESTIONS HERE **

On Wednesday, October 6th at 5pm (EST) and for approximately 1 hour's time, SHAUN OF THE DEAD director Edgar Wright, as well as star/co-writer Simon Pegg and possibly star Nick Frost, will be on the JoBlo.com/Arrow in the Head movie discussion board (that's right, right here!!), to answer any questions that you all might have for them (you can post your questions from now though).

This thread is the place to post those questions, but please THINK before posting and folllow these guidelines:
  • No insults. Anyone insulting the lovely chaps will be banned immediately and their posts deleted.
  • Don't write a book. Please try to keep your questions short and precise. These men don't have the time to read through your life story....seriously though, please be succinct.
  • Keep personal stuff out of this discussion. We all want to "make it" in the biz, but this chat is NOT the place to offer your screenplay to the guys, etc... Please stick to questions about their film and careers only.

It's also to note that all NON-SHAUN OF THE DEAD-related posts will be deleted from this thread. Thanks for understanding.

Oh and have fun...
Old 10-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Besides Romero who were some other directors whose films influenced the making of Shaun?? I thought I saw a little Fulci in there also.

Thanks alot and this was one movie that I had no problem paying my $8.50 to see...simply awesome!!!!!

Last edited by mshulman5; 10-05-2004 at 05:12 PM..
Old 10-05-2004, 12:59 PM
hello!

my(very simple)question is:-

how did you guys actually come across this (hilarious)concept.was there any particular incident (or a movie) that ignited this idea.
in simple words:who got the idea and how did the story take shape?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi guys, fellow brit here, congratulations on everything, big fan.

My question:

Whats next on the agenda? More spaced? Sean of the Dead sequal/s?

Keep up the great work

Jonny

(p.s. can i have Lucy Davis's phone number? )
Old 10-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Did you ever worry about the reception for the film or that people would misrepresent it as being a mockery of the genre before seeing it?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Did you base the characters on yourselves and people you know?

P.S. You guys rock, I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:32 PM
-> Aside from your cameo zombie roles in the upcoming Land Of The Dead, has George Romero expressed interest in working with you gents on any projects in the future (perhaps when it comes to From Dusk Till Shaun)?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:53 PM
The script for Shaun Of The Dead, in parts, was fleshed out on a flip-chart. Considering the amount of UK comedy talent involved, how much opportunity did this give to the others to contribute? It appears to have been a very organic process, and one quite unique in the creation of such a successful movie.

P.S. Big Train: The Movie. You know it makes sense. Me and my fellow JoBlo alumni BadCoverVersion have been championing Big Train and Spaced for years on these very boards, and feel totally vindicated after seeing you pull off such a great movie. Thanks for proving how right we are.

P.P.S. The Second Coming does indeed rock. So misunderstood.

Last edited by Reigh Kaufman; 10-05-2004 at 05:54 PM..
Old 10-05-2004, 02:17 PM
When/how did George Romero first contact you with his reaction?

Is the title for the possible sequal From Dusk Till Shaun just a rumor, are you interested in more adventures with Shaun?

ps- loved the film & thanks for answering our questions!
Old 10-05-2004, 02:35 PM
I just want to say that I loved Shaun of the Dead. More so than I would have thought. I can honestly say it's one of the best zombine films, ever. Not to mention hilarious.

Anyways..I was wondering how you guys are dealing with the cult success of the film. Are you surprised at all? or were you expecting such reception?

Thanks, and keep up the amazing work!
Old 10-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Loved the movie, looking forward to "Hot Fuzz" and/or anything else any of you guys decide to work on.

I know Spaced is currently being shown here in the States on Trio, but are there any plans to bring it to DVD here?
Old 10-05-2004, 02:38 PM
About 3 years ago I got the 2 seasons of Spaced on Amazon uk and have been Hooking people on the show ever since. I LOVE your show...and yes of course I followed Shaun being made as much as I could and it too is brilliant. I have 2 questions. 1. Will there EVER be a 3rd Season of Spaced? and 2. I have a Comedy Horror company called Low Budget Pictures and have been making films for 14 years. I have 5 of my films selling worlwide on DVD(including Mulva:Zombie Ass Kicker and FIlthy Mcnasty) and I work a Lot with Troma studios(The Toxic Avenger) and Tempe Entertainment(The Dead Next Door) I am gearing up for Pre-Production on my 23rd film Called Destruction Kings( an Action/Horror/Off beat comedy) which we are finding Funding for and Pitching the project at the AFM and through Eli Roths Company Raw Nerve. I VERY much would love to Have both of you in the film or just to check out some of my work. How do I get in touch with you, what Agent and or Manager?

Chris Seaver
Low Budget Pictures
www.lowbudgetpictures.com
seavage@hotmail.com

Last edited by SkankinFreddy; 10-05-2004 at 02:40 PM..
Old 10-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Did you fear distributing it in America for the fact that some people may not get the British humor?

By the way, the movie was hilarious and any type of sequel would be absolutely awesome.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey guys, first of all, thanks for making a horror comedy that is not a spoof and that is also incredibly well directed you are brilliant!
After making the best zombie film in years, what are you planning next? Can you tell us about Hot Fuzz?
and will Fistful of Fingers be released on DVD any soon?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Salamar; 10-06-2004 at 09:36 AM..
Old 10-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Hey Simon, are you single??? ... kidding!!!

Shaun of the Dead was a kick ass movie and I LOVED it!!! Is there a sequel in the works?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys do next!

cheers
~bird~

Last edited by B1rd_Po0p; 10-05-2004 at 04:27 PM..
Old 10-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Hey guys,

How hard was it to keep yourselves from laughing during the takes? It really combined the genres, better than I have ever seen before. The closest to your guys movie would be Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive." Was that an influence?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:18 PM
First of all, congrats for your very brilliant zombie comedy which I found really well done and funny.

Here's my question:

Would you be interested in making an Evil Dead-type comedy/parody?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Great movie, just wondering, what was some of the stuff that didn't make it into the flick? Anything you guys thought should have been left in there? ~Also, I noticed that subtle reference to 28 Days Later at the end of the movie, any other stuff like that I might've missed?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Hi. A few questions for Simon...

On Spaced you made it abundently clear that you hate The Phantom Menace (don't fucking blame you). What did you think of Attack Of The Clones and do you think that Lucas can pull the prequel movies' collective arses out of the fire with the forthcoming concluding chapter?

Will a third series of Space be forthcoming and, if the answer is yes, when?

How significant will your role be in the new Romero movie? I understand it's a bit part but will you be a walking, talking member of the living or a shambling, moaning, gut-munching member of the undead?

If you could pay homage to one other series of genre movies which series would you choose and why?

If you could act alongside any horror movie icon living or dead (or undead even) who would you choose?

Um...that's all.

Keep up the good work. Shaun Of The Dead is the best British movie i've seen this side of the millenium (neck and neck with the brilliant Dead Man's Shoes).

Last edited by Psychocandy; 10-05-2004 at 05:05 PM..
Old 10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
As a prospective filmmaker myself, do you have any tips for me because I am planning to make a short zombie film myself. Great movie guys and thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Loved the movie! Tons of fun to watch.

What projects you guys have coming up?

Lots of drinks in the movie, what are your favorite drinks/ beers??
Old 10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
<3 Shaun

Hey fellas I absolutely loved your movie. I recently became a zombie nut earlier this year and had been waiting ever so patiently for this movie to be released in the US and I haven't been dissapointed.
What ideas have you guys thrown around for your next "gag" movie if any?

Thanks,

Julian
Old 10-05-2004, 05:25 PM
First of all, thanks for making one of the best movies of the year (Zombie or otherwise).

I was curious about the dart in the head scene. I felt it was an homage to Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste" after Derrick looses his mind (so to speak) and cinches his belt around his head to keep his brains from falling out. It seemed like a wink to that part of the movie when Shaun wrapped his tie around his head wound. Was this intentional or am I looking too hard for winks, in-jokes and homages?
Old 10-05-2004, 05:26 PM
shaun of the dead was my big suprise movie of the year, not a big fan of spoofs but i absolutly loved it,and it being a british flik to boot made it all the more special,but with it now having so much success in the states as well what are your plans for the future?will you be uping sticks and moving yourselves across the water to make big budget movies in america(i am sure the offers will be flooding in) or are you happy in the restriction's of the british movie industry with the smaller budgets and audiences familier with your previous work.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:19 PM
After viewing Shaun of the Dead for the third time in two weeks, I was incredibly happy to hear about this board.

Here's my question:

Were these jokes (below) added later on in the movie during shooting, or were they written in the script originally?

1. Ed's monkey impression

2. The singing while the zombie was moaning (ah dibbity dibby dibba - rraaaaaaaauuuu)

3. Smacking the Winchester-owner zombie with the Queen music playing

4. The subtle "monkey-virus dismissal" at the end of the movie (that was refrencing to 28 Days Later, right? Or maybe Outbreak?)

So, if you're able, could please let me know. YOU GUYS RULE! ONE OF THE GREATEST MOVIES I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!

This flick had some of the best directing I've ever seen, and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are two of the greatest actors in the world. *sniff* (breaks out in tears of joy) You guys are awesome!!!

Last edited by Quigles; 10-05-2004 at 06:22 PM..
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Hey guys. I just have a question.

What is your favorite part of the movie?

Oh my god, I have so many, I don't even know where to start.;)
Old 10-05-2004, 06:54 PM
What do you think of the recent resurgence in horror, with such movies as THE RING, MAY, and WILLARD, and where do you see SHAUN OF THE DEAD being placed amongst them by the fans?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Look at me I'll act all professional and shit with this question

You made a zombie(romantic)comedy in your film. Yeah everyone pretty much fucking knows that already but it's involved with my question. I noticed that there is a lack of real serious themed zombie films like Romero did years ago. There was Dawn of the Dead which really bordered on being too light and Resident Evil Apocalypse, which, as we know, was a piece of fucking shit. Do you think that more zom films in a serious tone should be made or more comedic zom films?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:41 PM
During the making of the film, did you guys encounter any major technical issues? Perhaps the cameras wouldn't be working, the light would go away, etc.

Here's hoping for a sequel.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Simon, growing up what were your favorite kinds of movies? What were your favorite horror movies?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey guys, loved the movie.

Just a few questions:

I have been hearing SHAUN called an "Independent film", but I haven't seen any budget info on the movie. The movie looks uber professional and I was just wondering how much it cost to make it?

Is there a chance of A FISTFUL OF FINGERS being put out on DVD? I'd love to see it.

Did I see a Do The Right Thing homage in SHAUN with the trash can through the window?

That's basically all i have to ask. You guys are great and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Cheers.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:34 PM
love the film, one of the best of the year, and ive spread the word like a zombie infection...

anyways, just wondering how much marijuana was smoked, and how many boddington's were drank when you were coming up with the script hahaha.

keep up the good work
Old 10-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Hey guys! First off, great movie. One of the funniest zombie comedies I've seen in a while. I noticed that you guys did get Chris Martin of Coldplay in the film a few times, in zombie form and in a cameo for Zomb-Aid. How'd you guys get him on board? Also, in reference to all the questions regarding Romero and his reaction, what was your reaction to having Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson and George Romero sing praises for your efforts?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:19 PM
I have to say that this is one of the best comedies I've seen in a while and that your movie was probably one of the funniest experiences I've had in recent memory, while at the same time featuring some downright scary sequences. I haven't seen that many zombie flicks, but yours is close to the top for me.

My question is this: How hard was it to meld the different genres together to create a balance between the horror and comedy and how much did the script change from first draft to final?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:30 PM
I unfortunately have not seen the movie yet, because I live in Estonia, but ordered a UK disc which should arrive in a couple of days.

Anyway, my questions would be:

1) From what I`ve read you seem to be fans of the horror genre yourselves. The question would be - what`s on the horizon? Do you feel like sticking with the horror genre in the future or doing something different?

2) The horror genre. What do you like and do not like about the genre? What should horror genre be like in your oppinion? What are your favourite horror flicks from the past and from the recent years and what do you like about them?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:06 AM
First off, I loved SHAUN OF THE DEAD. It was hands down the most entertaining film of the year thus far. My questions:

Was the line "Stop pointing that gun at my mom" and the subsequent Mexican stand-off a subtle reference to Tarantino's RESERVOIR DOGS? Also, why did you spell Shaun with a "U" and not the more common "W"? Is it a British thing? Just curious.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Since Shaun of the Dead kicked so much ass, do you plan on releasing more films in the U.S.? Also, How much of the actual writing did you do for the film? How long did production take? By the way, both of your characters were absolutely brilliant, and I loved watching your film, I plan to see it again while it's still in theatres
Old 10-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Saw the movie last week with friends and we all loved it, but one thing has been bothering us ever since (with many a drunken night spent arguing about it): Can dogs look up????

Thanks and keep up the phenomenal work guys.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:17 AM
My question is: Did it ever cross your mind that Shaun of the Dead would become an instant hit, and become extremely popular with the American audience?

Definitely one of the BEST films I've seen this year. Every aspect of the film is completely ingenious.

(BTW: Nick Frost, I give you so much credit for apparently shaving your privates to "Create a genuine need to scratch that the character demanded".)

-Lindsey
Old 10-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Gervais and Guts

Since you got two of The Office stars involved, was Ricky Gervais ever an option for any of the characters in the film?

Also, why was the 'guts' scene in the film? It seemed unnecesary, but it was almost funny how disgusting it was. That was definitely unlike other comedies and maybe that's my answer...