Old 05-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Anyone read any Philip K. Dick?

I found a whole bunch of books by him that seem pretty different and interesting (A Scanner Darkly, Valis, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and Ubik to name a few). I was wondering if anyone had read anything by him and would be able to recommend anything to me since there are so many to choose from. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2006, 03:13 AM
I've read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and a few short stories. I tried the first 10-20 pages of Valis, wasn't getting it, and stopped. I'd like to read A Scanner Darkly, especially before the movie comes out.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I bought one of his books that had something like, 20 to 30 short stories. Highly recommend it. Great stuff in there. Stories that inspired Minority Report and Total Recall.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Philip K Dick is one of my favorite writers ever and one of the most influential wroters in s cience fiction. Do Androids is a great book. So is Flow My Tears The Policeman Said. Also read his short stories like Moniority Report, Paycheck, and We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (aka Total Recall) Great stuff.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:20 PM
I just bought A Scanner Darkly and Valis, so we'll see how it goes. I just started reading A Scanner Darkly and its pretty cool so far. I'm interested to see how the movie compares.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Phillip Dick

Dr. Bloodmomey, and A Scanner Darkly. Enjoy most those books which involve individual consciousness overwhelming/imposing-it's-will-on the world at large.
You get the idea, from the friend-aided grasshopper (locust?) hunt that opens A Scanner Darkly.

Anyway, seldom has an author had so many books made into movies... that bore so little resmblance to his original work.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I've read a few of his works but find the films better. his stories never seem as fleshed out as I think they should be. good ideas but they need to be taken futher, which is done in the films.

<OB>
Old 06-10-2006, 01:01 AM

Aside from Do Androids Dream, his most famous book is probably his alternate history novel The Man In The High Castle. I can recommend that and Time Out of Joint, very highly.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:49 AM
yes we do http://www.hansonrobotics.com/project_pkd.php
Old 08-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I am almost finished with "A Scanner Darkly". It is really an amazingly good book. I also just ordered the short stories collection of Amazon. I can't wait to read more from him.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
I've read a little bit of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and am going to start A Scanner Darkly in the near future. Otherwise, I haven't read a majority of his work.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I finished A Scanner Darkly a few weeks ago and loved it. The ending was great. I also have Valis but I haven't started that one yet.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I've read Do Androids Dream... and Valis. Valis is a much harder read, a lot further from traditional Sci Fi, along with the other books that go along with it from what I understand. The thing to note here is that Valis and it's companions were written while Dick was actually going crazy. A lot of the schitzoid type behavior exhibited by the main character is stuff that he was actually trying to deal with while writing a novel about it. Kinda like naked lunch, it makes a lot more sense if ya know what the author was going through while you read... although Dick does come back to the same themes over and over again. Things that pretend to be people, or think they really are people. Reality as an illusion forced on the masses by the Bad Guys. and so on...
Old 09-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Dick is a great author, my favorite right now, my favorite is Valis, but I'd reccomend A Scanner Darkly, The Man in the High Castle, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Im reaidng The Transmigration of Timothy Archer now. Id also reccomend his biography Divine Invasion: A Life of Philip K. Dick.
Oh and someone mentioned he thought his style felt rushed or unpolished, thats cuz he made so little money of his books , he had to pump em out really quickly, I think he wrote about sixty and hed often write them in two to three weeks.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I highly recommend Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, the book that Bladerunner was based off of. As a word of warning, the book is very, very different from the movie. One of the biggest differences that I remember was that there was much more of a religion theme in the book and several more androids as well (although it has been many years since I read it). Both the book and the movie are excellent works in each of their mediums but are still very different creations. I recommend keeping an open mind and trying to enjoy each of them separately without trying to compare them too much since they really only have a few similarities (although the Director's Cut of the movie does add a little bit more of the flavor of the book.)
Old 10-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Martian Time Slip and Eye In The Sky are two of my favorites by him. I've read about 15 of his books and was only disappointed by 1, the Similacra. That one was very slow and uninteresting.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is awesome.