Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Grn_Str_Movies
how many dvds do you own?
and how many tv show box sets do you own?

I own 1,021 DVDs, according to DVDSpot as of today. I'd day roughly 285-290 of them are TV shows on DVD
Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the great comments, guys
Old 08-18-2007, 10:55 AM
I feel almost embarassed posting my collection here - it's almost microscopic in comparison with these room-sized shelves filled to the brim with DVDs. And yet, I am rather proud of my pickiness: I don't just blindly buy whatever comes out; I know that every single DVD I own is of a movie that I love and would definitely watch more than once. And of course, it's ever-growing.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Monotreme
I feel almost embarassed posting my collection here - it's almost microscopic in comparison with these room-sized shelves filled to the brim with DVDs. And yet, I am rather proud of my pickiness: I don't just blindly buy whatever comes out; I know that every single DVD I own is of a movie that I love and would definitely watch more than once. And of course, it's ever-growing.

you get a 10/10 for neatness though!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Quote:

Points for quality. Some truly great movies in your collection.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Quote:

I don't mean this to sound nasty, but it rather irks me when people assume that just because collections are big, that it means the owner is not picky and "blindly buys whatever comes out." I have a collection of over 1000 (as shown in pictures above), and I am picky, and every movie and TV show is one that I love and would not part with. I do blind buy occassionally, but only if it's something I really want to see, or if it's really cheap. If I buy it, watch it and don't enjoy it enough to want it in my collection, I sell it.

I know it's a misconception of large collections, but it's not true for everyone.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabrett
I don't mean this to sound nasty, but it rather irks me when people assume that just because collections are big, that it means the owner is not picky and "blindly buys whatever comes out." I have a collection of over 1000 (as shown in pictures above), and I am picky, and every movie and TV show is one that I love and would not part with. I do blind buy occassionally, but only if it's something I really want to see, or if it's really cheap. If I buy it, watch it and don't enjoy it enough to want it in my collection, I sell it.

I know it's a misconception of large collections, but it's not true for everyone.
Just wait. Give them time. Eventually they'll be like us with 600-2000 dvds in which they love every one. Then people with budding movie chips(or whatever the hell itl be) can talk about how they have small collections because they are picky
Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I agree it seems to be the excuse for having a small collection is how picky and elitist you are when buying movies. Don't get me wrong I sometimes buy some very questionable dvds not to increase my collection but because I want to watch the movie or for some crazy reason I liked the movie or I got it for free when i worked for Blockbuster. The majority of my questionable movies were free as store credits for selling movie passes at Blockbuster until I figured out I could special order movies from our distributor and use my store credits that way (I owe the majority of my awesome Hitchcock collection to special orders). But the majority of my collection I love and would watch over and over except my wives dvds some of those make even me cringe.

I love movies, all types of movies and me buying movies is because I love them and want to watch them not because I feel the need to expand my collection or for some crazy ego trip. And I have 1077 dvds to date and 900-950 of them are great movies.

Think about this way if you were to make a top 10 list every year and buy your favorite 10 movies of every year starting in 1929 (this is the post silent movie modern era) you would own 780 movies after this year. Now how many years deserve 25 movies and how many tv shows have you liked in just the last 25 years (at just 5 a year thats another 75 tv dvds). As my collection is about %10 TV DVD
Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I own 2100+ DVDs, and I'd like to think my collection is way more about quality than quantity. I have a couple guilty pleasures in there, but I'm comfortable with my collection and find it to be at least in the Top 10 collections on here. Now if I just get some nicer storage shelves and also a bigger room.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sirdizzy
But the majority of my collection I love and would watch over and over except my wives dvds some of those make even me cringe.
Yeah, my wife has pretty good taste and I love quite a few of her movies, but man there are a few that make me hurt just thinking about them.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mutesaint
Yeah, my wife has pretty good taste and I love quite a few of her movies, but man there are a few that make me hurt just thinking about them.

That's what my fiance loves about me. I like more action movies than he does. On our first date, we went to the movies, and there were about 3 chick flicks playing, which my (then) date thought I would pick, and I came out of left field with, "Can we see The Punisher?" That's probably the day he knew we'd spend the rest of our lives together! Plus, we're both into collecting movies, so bringing home bags of DVDs is never a problem.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Quote:
That's what my fiance loves about me. I like more action movies than he does. On our first date, we went to the movies, and there were about 3 chick flicks playing, which my (then) date thought I would pick, and I came out of left field with, "Can we see The Punisher?" That's probably the day he knew we'd spend the rest of our lives together! Plus, we're both into collecting movies, so bringing home bags of DVDs is never a problem.
HAHA. Good for him. Make sure he knows how lucky he is. My wife is a strange one. She loves 'chick flicks.' Funny Girl is one of her favorite movies. Digs American sweetheart, Serendipity, and any other John Cusak movie. Yet she begged me to take her to the Hills Have Eyes. She laughed her ass off when her mother couldn't sit through 300(she loves it), and complains that there isn't enough sex in Basic Instinct. I've never really figured her out, dont think I ever will, and I dont mind one bit.

Edit*

Where did you get your Traffic Criterion? Ive been looking for it but never been willing to spend the dough.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:38 PM
This is in my room

and then all the dvds are on the left hand side of my books

my post prized item being my limited edition akira dvd.

then in my living room I've got dvds from star wars, lord of the rings, humphry Bogart collections, another dvd box set of classic monster movies, and others I'll post them later but bilieve me it aint like the ultimate setups you see on this site or ign.com
Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Blk_flower - nice titles you got there.

You should look into some type of storage for them so they're not just piled up, though.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 PM
My collection only consists of 236 titles. 4 of them are actually missing from this picture. That doesn't take away from the quality of the pics, does it?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brendan M.
My collection only consists of 236 titles. 4 of them are actually missing from this picture. That doesn't take away from the quality of the pics, does it?

It doesnt take away from the quality at all. Is Dark Angel good? They have it at best buy for 16 dollars a season and Ive been thinking about it. Worth the money? Should I give it a try?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Dark Angel is definitely worth a blind buy for $16. I watched one episode, went out and bought both seasons.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Dark Angel is definitely worth a blind buy for $16. I watched one episode, went out and bought both seasons.
I wish they had a squinty eyed suspicious smiley. Ill trust you though. Ive been on a tv kcik lately so Im week. Due to BB sales, I have gotten all 5 seasons of Babylon 5, all of the remaining seasons of buffy and Angel I didnt have, plus Heroes and Dexter are supposed to show up soon.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 AM
I wish I had bought Dark Angel for $16.

The Pilot episode is awesome. The rest of the series is pretty slow but it really picks up at the end of season 2. Plus the last episode directed by James Cameron is pretty damn sweet.

I love Alba as Dark Angel. Its a shame she can't just keep her hair dark and continue to star in more tough chick action roles.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 AM
So, in the spirit of all these new photos being posted, Im going to try and post a picture of everything Ive bought since the last one. Ill be posting it tonight after work.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
I know it's not that big but I don't spend all my money on movies.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dragula
I know it's not that big but I don't spend all my money on movies.

Well you definently have some movies I dont dig in your collection, but you have Tenacios D so I'll forgive you. Dare I ask though...What is A7x(squiggly line)(verticle infinity)(verticle infinity)? That is the real mistery
Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Well you definently have some movies I dont dig in your collection, but you have Tenacios D so I'll forgive you. Dare I ask though...What is A7x(squiggly line)(verticle infinity)(verticle infinity)? That is the real mistery
Wow I totally forgot how that A7X thing got there. It's been there for, I don't know how many years now. I never bothered to take it off.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Why is Jackass 2 before the first one?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:19 AM

Nice collections everyone, very nice. Yea, I don't get why people think just because people have a monster collection they think "wow, that guy just buys everything etc..." =S

I just did a blind buy of about $60.00 at Best Buy with buying season's 1-3 of the T.V. show Roswell, which turns out to be a great show! I've been thinking about getting the Dark Angel seasons, just because they are $20 each =P

The past couple of weeks purchases:

Cast Away (steel book)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
RoboCop (steel book)
The Day After Tomorrow (steel book)
The Boondock Saints (steel book)
The count of Monte Cristo (new version)
Roswell seasons 1-3
South Park season 10
Sopranos seasons 1-6
Dawn of The Dead Ultimate Edition (buy if you do not have it!)
Mallrats Extended Cut
Family Guy Volumes 3-4
Seven Samurai Criterion Collection
Titanic SE
The Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit
Evil Dead 2 Book of The Dead Edition
Revenge of the Nerds
Rome season 1
The Unit season 1
Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut (buy if you do not have it!)
Band of Brothers Mini-Series
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters For DVD

HMV currently has all of the Trailer Park Boys seasons on sale for $20 each, so I was thinking about picking them up too =P

It's something about those steel books that make the DVD so god damn good lookin! A friend of mine suggested that I start a notepad file on my desktop listing all the DVD's that I would like to buy (not sure if its a good idea).

I will post pictures of my collection once they have arrived in the mail (god eBay is addicting). Again, great collections all, and hope to see many more great collections!

-Cheers

"By The Power of Grey Skull"

Last edited by foX-; 08-22-2007 at 02:42 AM..
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Why is Jackass 2 before the first one?
Ah, dammit!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Some Collections that I am completely jealous of... and those figures are SICK! but heres my collection... around 200 dvd's. Not bad considering i have bought probably 75-80% of em in the last year on about 20 dollars a week. but here it is.

thats most of em for the whole collection you can go to this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/ays/105-957...%5Fagg%5Fvideo
Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 PM
john_rambo, nice collection there! The fact that you have the Leprechaun "Pot 'o Gore" Collection automatically makes you the coolest person on this site.

Also, what movies are on that "Essential Ernest" collection you have?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Ernest in the Army and Ernest goes to Africa, I don't know how its the "Essential Ernest" When those are pretty bottom of the barrel compared to Ernest goes to Jail Ernest goes to Camp, but hey, ernest is so unbelievably stupid that I laugh at all those movies. RIP ERNEST
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Blk_flower - nice titles you got there.
thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I actually inherited a new shelf thats kinda like my other shelf, so now it looks nice and my dvds arent so cluttered now. Pictures will be arriving soon.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Points for quality. Some truly great movies in your collection.
Thanks!

And now, regarding my "large collection" comments...You know, most of you are right. But I can't mention names (because I don't remember to whom they belong) but I have seen many, many photos of collections here riddled with titles, and this is just off the top of my head: Norbit, Dumb and Dumberer, Garfield: The Movie (plus sequel), Surviving Christmas, and the list goes on. So let's just say that it was these titles I was talking about when I said that I'm "picky" in comparison to (some of) these wall-sized collections I see around here.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Thanks!

And now, regarding my "large collection" comments...You know, most of you are right. But I can't mention names (because I don't remember to whom they belong) but I have seen many, many photos of collections here riddled with titles, and this is just off the top of my head: Norbit, Dumb and Dumberer, Garfield: The Movie (plus sequel), Surviving Christmas, and the list goes on. So let's just say that it was these titles I was talking about when I said that I'm "picky" in comparison to (some of) these wall-sized collections I see around here.

Well, by naming the titles, it's obvious you're talking about my collection. Personally, I happen to like Norbit (even though every other person hated it). As for the other movies, I'm not saying they're the best movies out there...but they're fun, no brainer movies that I like to throw on in the background while I'm doing things in the house. I'm not saying they're oscar worthy movies, but to me, they have fun rewatchability.

Besides, it's not as though that is all that it's in these collection. I still own movies such as 300, The Departed, V for Vendetta, Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, etc... I just also like to have fun comedies to throw on every now and then, too.

Last edited by ChickFlick; 08-24-2007 at 11:27 AM..
Old 08-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Some people (like me) don't care if a movies the best made or not, especially with comedies, it doesn't have to be smart humor or anything but if its just entertaining or a fun movie to watch if you have 90 minutes to spare, if you like, why not get it. I mean just cause you don't like the movie it does not mean that the person who has it is forbidden from liking it. Look at me, I have all 6 leprechaun movies and the Essential Ernest, none of those are gonna be on anyones best list but those movies are just fun ways to get away for 90 minutes or so.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by john_rambo
Some people (like me) don't care if a movies the best made or not, especially with comedies, it doesn't have to be smart humor or anything but if its just entertaining or a fun movie to watch if you have 90 minutes to spare, if you like, why not get it. I mean just cause you don't like the movie it does not mean that the person who has it is forbidden from liking it. Look at me, I have all 6 leprechaun movies and the Essential Ernest, none of those are gonna be on anyones best list but those movies are just fun ways to get away for 90 minutes or so.
Exactly my point. At least I'm not the only one
Old 08-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Well of course, to each his own. But I dunno, a lot of these movies I wouldn't even want to watch once, you know? Much less own and watch repeatedly. But if you guys dig it, I'm no one to argue.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Thanks!

at least I know that wasn't my collection you were referring to as I hated all three of those movies
Old 08-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sirdizzy
at least I know that wasn't my collection you were referring to as I hated all three of those movies
Ditto.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Thanks!

i agree 100% with SABRETT

people have different tastes, you dont have to point out the movies that you think are horrible because there will ALWAYS be at least one person who taught the movie was fun to watch

for example, i have bought a lot of dumb movies
Ex. Are We There Yet?

i bought it because i have a brother who enjoys watching those kinds of movies

dumb comedies,

if i have time to spare and i dont feel like watching something serious i put on one of my dumb comedies just because i have spare time and i dont want to watch such a serious movie.

movies are for entertainment and enjoyment.

they dont have to win 10 oscars for a person to enjoy them.

youre wrong
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I think the big thing is that you at least enjoy them. If someone points something out and you really can't give them a good reason why you own it other than "I bought it and didn't like it" ou might fall under monotreme's statement. And lets face it, some of us are like that. I know some people who have had ultraviolet and thats exactly what they said when I asked why(Im not nameing names as I really don't remember who it was).