Old 06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Y: The Last Man

I know I'm probably late in coming across this, but if you havn't read it go out and buy the first volume right now. Some other graphic novels i've read and loved are...

Preacher (all)
Sin City vol. 1-6
The Dark Knight Returns
Hush
The Walking Dead vol 1
Old 06-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Eh, I can understand while people like it, but it just didn't that much for me.
I can say however that you have none of Grant Morrison's New X-Men (collected in 7 nice TPB or three awesome HC) or Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (with two TPB already out, and one on the way), which I consider essential to anybody's collection.
By the way, good on you for showing some Preacher love.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Excellent choice, Y is one of my favorite comics at the moment. If you liked Vaughn's writing you shoul try... Ex Machina and Runaways both are fantastic reads, and not your typical superhero comics.

From looking at your list you seemed to like dark knight returns so I would reccomend that you avoid Dark Knight Strikes Back like the plague.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:00 PM
I love Y the last man, just love it. It's as close as the DCU ever has come to doing a Spiderman book, The guy Yorrick Brown reminds me of is Fry from Futarama, the lovable every man, a lot like Peter Parker. BTW, for Y fans, what happens in the last issue is why this series is so cool, so you're reading along, and you think you've got the plot, and Vaughn manages to drop an absolute bombshell on you. Even after 46 issues, the series still manages to surprise me. I was very saddened to learn that vaughn has a definitive ending in mind for Y, and that it ends at issue #60
Old 06-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (with two TPB already out, and one on the way),
I'm a huge Whedon fan, so I'm definitely going to have to check this out. Has some of his run been collected into a graphic novel yet?

Quote:
By the way, good on you for showing some Preacher love.

Quote:
From looking at your list you seemed to like dark knight returns so I would reccomend that you avoid Dark Knight Strikes Back like the plague.
Yea...i've heard nothing but bad things about it. I skimmed through it once at Borders, and the artwork alone was horrible. The "rough" look of the first book worked in its favor, however it just seemed like Miller just went ape shit with his second outing.

Quote:
Even after 46 issues, the series still manages to surprise me. I was very saddened to learn that vaughn has a definitive ending in mind for Y, and that it ends at issue #60
Yea...its always hard to see a good series end, but i find comfort in the fact that he knows when to end things. I love Sin City, but after the fourth volume the quality suffered greatly. Do you know when the 8th volume of Y:TLM comes out?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sh8dy Milkman
I'm a huge Whedon fan, so I'm definitely going to have to check this out. Has some of his run been collected into a graphic novel yet?
Yup. There's the hardcover Volume 1 featuring the first two story arcs, and then there's two softcover trade paperbacks Volume 1: Gifted and Volume 2: Dangerous, with the third Volume 3: Torn, on the way.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
Yup. There's the hardcover Volume 1 featuring the first two story arcs, and then there's two softcover trade paperbacks Volume 1: Gifted and Volume 2: Dangerous, with the third Volume 3: Torn, on the way.
Thanks for the reccomendation...just picked up the first volume today.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sh8dy Milkman
Thanks for the reccomendation...just picked up the first volume today.
Enjoy it.