Old 07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Nick Hornby...this guy's got "it"

On a recent vacation, I've really gotten into Hornby's writing. He's smart, witty, with just the right amount of pop culture references...I've read:

About A Boy
High Fidelity
Fever Pitch
How To Be Good

And they're all great, although How to be Good is a bit much for my taste. About A Boy, in particular, is a fabulously true and intelligent book.

Plus, his work is just so delectably British.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:36 AM
I was suprised how much the movie of ABOUT A BOY was alike to the novel. Some of the scenes in the movie are word for word from the book. Although I do prefer the ending to the book more than the movie. But I still love the movie.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:32 AM
About A Boy - 9/10
High Fidelity - 10/10
How To Be Good - 7/10
Long Way Down - 9/10

Love his writing.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:57 AM
I Loved it

I love About a Boy and High Fidelity, both the movie and book versions.

High Fidelity is basically the male bible. I really identify with it and his views are so pinpoint accurate.

About a Boy is awesome and a fun read. The movie really captured it. And Will's views on life and everything I agree with as well.

Nick Hornby is so insightful.

I haven't read his new one. Is it that good?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:51 AM
I discovered Nick Hornby after watching, and absolutely loving, HighFidelity for the first time.

Quote:
High Fidelity is basically the male bible. I really identify with it and his views are so pinpoint accurate.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I deffinately found myself identifying with Rob,and the circumstances he was encountering, which only further proves how much of an old soul I've got, apparantely.

Personally,I think I slightly prefer the film version of High Fidelity to the book, probably becauseof Jack Black - the"Cosby Sweeter" bit in particular had me infits of laughter, though as for About a Boy, personally I prefer the book to the movie.

For some reason, I still haven't seen Fever Pitch, though again loved the book.

As for The Polysyllabic Spree - I thought it was good for what it was - a collection of book reviews and recommendations.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:51 PM
I love pretty much everything I've read by Nick Hornby.

About a Boy and High Fidelity are two of my favorite novels, Hornby truly has a distinct "voice".

I also dug Fever Pitch and How to be Good, but slightly less so. They were undoubtedly fun, but they didn't really veer into the brilliance of the previous two.

However, I'm an oddball, my two favorite Hornby books are 31 Songs and The Polysyllabic Spree. His reviews are thoughtful, funny, personal and unique.

At one point he talks about reading a novel by a woman and realizing that she had a similar voice to his own- realizing that he wanted to write just like an American, southern woman, writing a slightly sappy book about her relationship with her mother. It's not necessarily completely accurate, but I like his self-awareness.