Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
The newest Deicide is fucking incredible and I am not a fan. The addition of the new guitarists really finally makes the band stand out and be less generic which I thought most of their previous work was.

Also, Cradle Of Filth are now a band that I despise. I used to always stick up for them, but I guess I sort of outgrew their sound. Some of the old stuff still have some killer riffs but I've moved on.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
The newest Deicide is fucking incredible and I am not a fan. The addition of the new guitarists really finally makes the band stand out and be less generic which I thought most of their previous work was.

Also, Cradle Of Filth are now a band that I despise. I used to always stick up for them, but I guess I sort of outgrew their sound. Some of the old stuff still have some killer riffs but I've moved on.
i used to stick up for danny filth but i saw his movie and that was the final nail in their coffin for me
Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 PM
i like all types of rock, i like heavy metal, some classic rock, alot of emo stuff, and i do like glam rock bands like murderdolls and wednesday 13, but as you can tell by my name u know who i reckon the best metal band is.... Avenged sevenfold!!!! (and to avoid being ripped to shreds i will specify they are my favourite metalcore band) :P
Old 02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Avenged Sevenfold are hard rock. They were borderline metalcore in their old days, but in the words of Hatebreed, this is now.

On another note, I was glancing at the new Revolver at a grocery store the other day, and I discovered there's a new supergroup featuring Vinnie Paul (Pantera, DamagePlan, Rebel Meets Rebel), Chad Gray, Greg Tibbett (Mudvayne), Tom Maxell (Nothingface), and Jerry Montano (Danzig, Nothingface). I checked out their myspace and it sounds pretty cool. A little nu-metalish, but not enough to make me dislike it.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but they easily have the worst band name ever in the history of music.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Yeah, but they easily have the worst band name ever in the history of music.
Yeah, I'll give you that. But after you listen to the Butthole Surfers for awhile, you kinda ignore band names, unless it's really, really awesome.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:35 PM
avenged sevenfold or my chemical romance are the best band names ever. fact.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Average Sevenfold and My Chemical Underpants.... nope.

in other news Psyopus has a new record out. Our Puzzlng Encounters Considered. Its fucking awesome.

Last edited by thedamnwolfman; 02-23-2007 at 08:52 AM..
Old 02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
well...okay.... how about
psyo-duck billed platter-pus

that band name is gay, aint heard their music, so i wont go there
Old 02-23-2007, 04:45 PM
i don't care what a band's name is, only if they can play. Why would i care about something as insignificant as a band name?

if i had to pick a fav name it would be

Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus
or
Anal Cunt
or
Agoraphobic Nosebleed

Those are metal ass names
Old 02-23-2007, 05:26 PM
hey dnt get me wrong i know the names dont care wotsoever, but u were 'dissing' my favourite bands i had to say something :P
Old 02-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by a7xfan
avenged sevenfold or my chemical romance are the best band names ever. fact.
Fiction. I mean, I personally can't stand either one, but that's neither here nor there. I think both names aren't that great. Avenged Sevenfold was a decent name for a metalcore band. But since they were just using that as a springboard... Now it's not such a great name.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
Yeah, I'll give you that. But after you listen to the Butthole Surfers for awhile, you kinda ignore band names, unless it's really, really awesome.
Butthole Surfers name actually matches their unique sound so it isn't that bad. Plus, they are the greatest band ever.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Butthole Surfers name actually matches their unique sound so it isn't that bad. Plus, they are the greatest band ever.
Yeah, I can agree with that. There's just not that many women that wanna be around you when you tell 'em you're a fan of the Butthole Surfers. Save for mine.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:40 PM
tyler_durden_208

im sorry but i really dnt know what you mean by 'springboard' a7x have been going for years, and they had no credit, until they got a new record label, they deserve the shot they had, they worked for it, also they are popular because they are brilliant, they have proved they can write amazing lyrics, they are amazing on the intruments and the vocals are unique and great, so they got their chance, and they are living the dream, they are by no means big headed and the havnt got too big for their boots, they are just a bunch of regular joes enjoying themselves, that all.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:18 PM
See you can say all that because you love them, but really they arn't that special. Not to say they didn't work hard to get were they are, because they did. But i can leave them and never look back. There are bands that can outplay, out write, out preform them. See Dillinger Escape Plan. A7F can't hold a birthday candle to them.

Not to say don't enjoy them, but don't be surprised if metal fans don't really give a shit and write them off.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:56 AM
From my recent playlist:
Black Sabbath Tyr 8/10
Black Sabbath The eternal Idol 7/10

I know that most people despise the stuff they did with Tony Martin as a singer but if I listen to post-ozzy Sabbath I rather listen to these two albums than anything with Dio. Bit underrated if you ask me.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Quote:
tyler_durden_208

im sorry but i really dnt know what you mean by 'springboard' a7x have been going for years, and they had no credit, until they got a new record label, they deserve the shot they had, they worked for it, also they are popular because they are brilliant, they have proved they can write amazing lyrics, they are amazing on the intruments and the vocals are unique and great, so they got their chance, and they are living the dream, they are by no means big headed and the havnt got too big for their boots, they are just a bunch of regular joes enjoying themselves, that all.
They used the metalcore genre to get street cred with the independent crowd, and then signed with Warner and (God, I hate this term) "sold out". They're one of the few bands I've ever thought actually sold out. They completely abandoned their previous sound to be popular. That's what I mean by they used metalcore as a springboard. To play hard rock on a major label.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Quote:
They used the metalcore genre to get street cred with the independent crowd, and then signed with Warner and (God, I hate this term) "sold out". They're one of the few bands I've ever thought actually sold out. They completely abandoned their previous sound to be popular. That's what I mean by they used metalcore as a springboard. To play hard rock on a major label.
i see your point but a7x have a new album coming out later this year, they said they are gonna be changing their sound again, so if they are popular with the sound they had on city of evil why go and change again, they arnt really bothered about being popular, they just want their fans to be happy
Old 02-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Quote:
i see your point but a7x have a new album coming out later this year, they said they are gonna be changing their sound again, so if they are popular with the sound they had on city of evil why go and change again, they arnt really bothered about being popular, they just want their fans to be happy
Then I will be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and try the album out, but I'm not going to be too hopeful. I thought Waking the Fallen was a great album, so if it's a return to the form of that album, or a better departure of City of Evil, then my bad feelings toward them would be zilched. But I'll still always hate City of Evil.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:20 AM
they said the next album aint gonna be a city of evil 2 album, totally new sounds, high hopes
Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Because the other thread is locked i just figured i would respond here.

Um, "Ignorant"? Ignorant to what? I've known about A7X as long as anybody. I don't need MTV2 to introduce bands to me. I have never liked them. I'm not some out of the wood work band basher, they have never impressed me.

I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt. I tried to not say anything to mean about them. I did call them average, but is that really all that bad? Oh, and i said they can't hold a birthday candle, but we all know i could have said worse.

Like i've said before. Enjoy them. If they are your favorite band ENJOY the hell out of them, but most of the metal kids i know don't really care about M. Shadows and crew.

My biggest beef with them is, "Why do all their t-shirts look the same? Who do they thnk they are? Rancid?"
Old 02-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thedamnwolfman
Because the other thread is locked i just figured i would respond here.

Um, "Ignorant"? Ignorant to what? I've known about A7X as long as anybody. I don't need MTV2 to introduce bands to me. I have never liked them. I'm not some out of the wood work band basher, they have never impressed me.

I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt. I tried to not say anything to mean about them. I did call them average, but is that really all that bad? Oh, and i said they can't hold a birthday candle, but we all know i could have said worse.

Like i've said before. Enjoy them. If they are your favorite band ENJOY the hell out of them, but most of the metal kids i know don't really care about M. Shadows and crew.

My biggest beef with them is, "Why do all their t-shirts look the same? Who do they thnk they are? Rancid?"
okay, i respect that, and i wish not to take this arguement any further, .........peace?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thedamnwolfman
See you can say all that because you love them, but really they arn't that special. Not to say they didn't work hard to get were they are, because they did. But i can leave them and never look back. There are bands that can outplay, out write, out preform them. See Dillinger Escape Plan. A7F can't hold a birthday candle to them.

Not to say don't enjoy them, but don't be surprised if metal fans don't really give a shit and write them off.
As much as I enjoy listening to Avenged Sevenfold, yes. I agree with you on the DEP statement. I abso-fucking-lutely love those guys. Anyway, here's what I've been listening to lately.

Dir en grey - The Marrow of a Bone (9.5/10)
Dir en grey - Withering to death (9/10)
Dir en grey - Vulgar (9/10)
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine (10/10)
HORSE the band - THEMECHANICALHAND (10/10)
System of a Down - System of a Down (9/10)
Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen (9/10)
Avenged Sevenold - City of Evil (9/10)

Haven't really been listening to much extreme metal lately. Haven't really been in a metal mood lately. Although I was hooked on Miss Machine for quite some time (I LOVE that album).
Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I listened to Obsolete by Fear Factory today and fell in love with it all over again. Anyone else love this album? I think it fucking rules.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
New Dying Fetus is pretty disappointing. They sound like generic Job For A Cowboy/Animosity/All Shall Perish/Despised Icon breakdown pig squeal death metal now which is what all the hardcore kids are fawning over now instead of metalcore.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
I like Job for a Cowboy

And yes, I love Obsolete.
I love each and every Fear Factory album, though I think Obsolete is probably still their best.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Me likely metal!

Lamb of god
God Forbid
Pantera
All That Remains
Hatebreed
Unearth
Slayer
Dragonforce
Killswitch Engage
System of a down
Old 03-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I know they're more hard rock, but I picked up the new Sevendust, Alpha. They're one of the most consistently great modern rock bands out there. Even though you pretty much know what you're gonna get from a Sevendust release, it still kicks ass. This one is a lot heavier, as main songwriters Lajon and Morgan have had a lot of turmoil. It makes for a great aggressive record. If you have even a small like for Sevendust, I recommend it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I like me some Between the Buried and Me, HORSE the band, Protest the Hero, Dillinger Escape Plan......yeah.

And Avenged Sevenfold offically 'sold out' (I hate that term, too) when they did that song with Good Charlette.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I like old metal bands like Metallica, Pantera, Ozzy/Black Sabbath. Most of the metal now sucks.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by athf1980
I like old metal bands like Metallica, Pantera, Ozzy/Black Sabbath. Most of the metal now sucks.
Like new Metallica?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheJadedGamer
HORSE the band
Going to see them April 3rd with Light This City! Cannot fucking wait. Anyway...

UneXpect - In a Flesh Aquarium 10/10
The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Armageddon March Eternal (Symphonies of Slit Wrists) Awesome shit/10
Light This City - Remains of the Gods 8.5/10
Light This City - Facing the Thousand 9/10
HORSE the band - THEMECHANICALHAND 10/10
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris 10/10
Battlelore - Evernight (I need to give this one another listen before I can give it a score)
Fear My Thoughts - Vulcanus 8.5/10
Epica - The Phantom Agony 8/10
Dir en grey - Vulgar 9/10

Finally back in the metal mood.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dfd3657
Going to see them April 3rd with Light This City! Cannot fucking wait. Anyway...

UneXpect - In a Flesh Aquarium 10/10
These guys are awesome.

Everyone should listen to them.

They are like a heavier and equally off the wall version of Mr. Bungle.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Been listening to--

DEP-Calculating Infinity-9/10 I love this album
Dissection-Storm Of Light's Bane/Where Dead Angels Lie-10/10 Classic
Nile-Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka-10/10 One of my favorite DM albums
Neurosis-A Sun That Never Sets-9/10-Got it for Christmas, only started really getting into it in the past month or so, great stuff

Question--Can someone explain the appeal of grindcore to me? I mean straight grindcore, like early Napalm Death or Agoraphobic Nosebleed. I just don't get it, never have. I can understand the appeal of band that are borderline grindcore but mix it up a bit and do something creative, like DEP or Cephalic Carnage or something. But straight grindcore, I don't get. Any fans wanna offer an explanation?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Can't help you out. I'm as equally fuckin' befuddled about grindcore, noisecore, etc. Repetitious noise and such is not really what I care to listen to...
On the other hand, right now I'm listening to a lot of Unearth. I picked up their last two albums, cos I fucking love the song they did for the Aqua Teen movie (you can hear it in streaming audio on the movie's website) and they're a decent band. Kinda generic, but still decent.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Quote:
These guys are awesome.

Everyone should listen to them.

They are like a heavier and equally off the wall version of Mr. Bungle.
Yeah, they're amazing. Anyway, yesterday, I found out about this kick ass Russian pagan/folk metal band called Arkona. Their music kicks ass, and the coolest thing is that their vocalist is female, and she's amazing. She's just as competent as her male counterparts, and I love that. Check out this live video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMQU1Tjfwr8
Old 03-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Can't help you out. I'm as equally fuckin' befuddled about grindcore, noisecore, etc. Repetitious noise and such is not really what I care to listen to...
On the other hand, right now I'm listening to a lot of Unearth. I picked up their last two albums, cos I fucking love the song they did for the Aqua Teen movie (you can hear it in streaming audio on the movie's website) and they're a decent band. Kinda generic, but still decent.
Right with ya Durden, Unearth kicks all kinds of ass, hopefully seeing them in April in New York City
Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 PM
I really can't wait for the Aqua Teen soundtrack to be released. I keep going back to that website to listen to the song. For some reason I can't find it anywhere for download or anything.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Just now listening to Amon Amarth's last album, With Oden on Our Side. By Oden's beard, it's fucking awesome!