Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 PM
EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO MERCENARY. EVERYONE

First Breath - Mercenary
Everblack - Mercenary
11 Dreams - Mercenary
The Hours That Remain - Mercenary

I give all 4 a 10/10, they're excellent albums. To get a taste of this band, listen to these songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXkvQIaHdK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc-ZCXIFXW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8u92bZVc1E

Last edited by LordSimen; 03-15-2007 at 08:03 PM..
Old 03-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
Just now listening to Amon Amarth's last album, With Oden on Our Side. By Oden's beard, it's fucking awesome!
Yeah, that's an awesome album. I saw them live with Children Of Bodom, they were so good. They got the crowd so pumped, what with the beards and viking garb and drinking out of big horn things and the screaming. It was crazy.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
Yeah, that's an awesome album. I saw them live with Children Of Bodom, they were so good. They got the crowd so pumped, what with the beards and viking garb and drinking out of big horn things and the screaming. It was crazy.
Sounds awesome. I wanna see them live really, really badly. Of course, beforehand, I'm gonna grow a long ass beard and get a Viking helm.
I'm actually gonna pick up the rest of their albums that I don't have (The Avenger, Versus the World, The Crusher, Once Sent from the Golden Hall) tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm listening to Dark Tranquillity's new album right now. It's pretty fucking awesome so far.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Arkona - Vo Slavu Velikim (10/10)
Arkona - Lepta (gotta listen again)
Arkona - Vozrozhdenie (same as above)
Bal-Sagoth - The Chthonic Chronicles (10/10)
Turisas - Battle Metal (9/10)
!T.O.O.H.! - Order and Punishment (10/10)
Equilibrium - Turis Fratyr (10/10)
Dark Tranquility - Fiction (still need to give it another listen to properly rate)
Edenbridge - The Grand Design (8/10)
Tyr - Eric the Red (10/10)
Suffocation - Suffocation (10/10)

I've listened to some fucking kick ass albums lately.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dfd3657
I'm listening to Dark Tranquillity's new album right now. It's pretty fucking awesome so far.
Yeah, I saw a commercial for it last night on Headbanger's Ball. The new song I heard sounded tits. I've loved all of their albums so far, so I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I saw a commercial for it last night on Headbanger's Ball. The new song I heard sounded tits. I've loved all of their albums so far, so I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up.
They're playing at Toad's Place in New Haven on March 27th, which is pretty damn close to me, but the thing is, I'd be skipping my math class that night to go see them. And I was also planning on skipping that same class on April 3rd to see HORSE the band and Light This City. Oh, decisions, decisions.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd go see them. I almost got to see them with Opeth and the Devin Townsend Band, but my at the time idiot girlfriend didn't wanna go. Bitch. Concerts like that don't come around all the time.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Screen name says it all!!!!

Currently listening to:

Type O Negative - Dead Again
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Damn, I forgot how awesome Sepultura was. With Max or Derrick, they're pure awesomeness. And Soulfly isn't too bad, either.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Sepultura's awesome. I definitely prefer them with Max, though Derrick isn't bad. It took a little while to get it right, but they did. Dante XXI was an pretty awesome album. Still though, I don't think anything will beat Arise.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Sepultura's awesome. I definitely prefer them with Max, though Derrick isn't bad. It took a little while to get it right, but they did. Dante XXI was an pretty awesome album. Still though, I don't think anything will beat Arise.
Yeah, Arise is my favorite Sepultura album, with Dante XXI in a close second. The only album with Max I don't really like is Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation, mainly cos I'm a stickler for good production. The musicianship has to fucking floor me for to ignore bad production.
Which brings me to why it was impossible for me to listen to DragonForce's Valley of the Damned yesterday. I got through a couple songs, couldn't stand the bad production and terribly cheesy lyrics. Although, the guitar playing was ace. Maybe they'd work better as an instrumental band. Inhuman Rampage isn't too bad, though.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 AM
I really should listen to them. My brother used to be a huge fan, and he gave me all of their CDs that he owned, but I never really listened to them.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Going to see Lamb of God, Gojira, Machine Head and Trivium this friday. Gonna be a killer show, I cant wait.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 PM
I saw Gojira with Amon Amarth, Children Of Bodom and Sanctity (don't give a fuck about Sanctity though). They were great live, they're an awesome band.

...Really need to get their album though. I've been wanting that album for a while now. And their other one, Link, is coming out in America soon.

Saw Lamb Of God at Gigantour. Not the biggest fan but they were fucking awesome live.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 PM
http://shop.relapse.com/store/produc...roductID=25137

I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT. June 12th cannot come soon enough.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Powerslave, you really need to pick up Gojira's From Mars to Sirius. I'd almost venture to say it's my favorite metal album of last year, maybe even rivaling Mastodon's Blood Mountain.
And I've never really heard much Pig Destroyer, I saw one of their videos on Headbanger's Ball, but the sound quality on the broadcast was so terrible, I could barely hear the song.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
I know, I really do. I listened to some of it on their website and loved it, love their style. I've been planning on it for like 6 months, but I'm a procrastinating little bitch and haven't gotten around to it yet. I think tomorrow I'll just order it.

...Hmm. I should also get "To Mega Therion"-Celtic Frost, that other album I've been meaning to buy for the past year or so.

Also--Has anyone heard Intronaut? If so, how are they?

Oh yeah, and From Mars To Sirius has the coolest cover ever.

Last edited by Powerslave; 03-29-2007 at 11:08 PM..
Old 03-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Last night went to see the Lamb of God, Gojira, Machinehead and Trivium show it was a very good show. I have never heard Gojira before and that show has made me a fan, what a cool band.

So my night went like this went to the venue about 6:00 got in line, doors opened at 6:30. We finally went in and it was already crowded.I was forced to stand behind this abnormally tall family, the son wore this annoying white trucker hat hanging to the side and was always in my way. Who the fuck wears trucker hats to metal shows?!

The pit was insane people getting thrown about this tiny girl was in the pit and she was actually holding her own against the hardcore dancers and the giant bigboy rednecks here in florida.

Gojira I thought was the best performance of the evening, very unique sounding music they do. Machinehead went on next their set was pretty good, bunch of drinkers those guys are they were challenging this guy next to us to chugalug beer people around the crowd were passing over glasses of beer and he was drinking like no tomorrow.

Trivium what can I say, Ive liked them since i saw them on the Ozzfest Anniversary DVD, They did a great set and really hyped up the crowd. I believe the pit was swelling larger for Trivium than any other band.

Finally after a wait and being choked to death by the smoke machine being on the fritz Lamb of God took the stage, which was fantastic they played more songs than anybody there and they kept doing tributes and shoutouts to people like the bands they were playing with, Ronnie Van Zant, again the bands they were playing with, Gojira, Trivium and Gojira again.

I had a great time, cant wait for Ozzfest 07
Old 03-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Celtic Frost rules!!!
My favorite is still the new one, Monotheist, only because nothing can top the awesomeness that is "A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh", but To Mega Therion is pretty awesome as well.
And yeah, the cover does rule, I'm getting it on my right shoulder blade when I get some dough.
And I've heard "of" Intronaut, but never got around to listening to them. I'll be sure to let you know if I hear something.

And NM, glad to hear you had a good time. I love it when you get to see a whole show of nothing but good performers. The last time I got to see that was Static-X, American Head Charge, and Bloodsimple. (10 Years opened, but being that they were from only a couple hours away, I just considered them the lame local band) I wish some other band had been on the bill with Mastodon and Priestess instead of Converge, then that show would've rocked. (For the record, I like Converge, they just suck ass live)
Old 03-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Quote:
(For the record, I like Converge, they just suck ass live)
I caught them a few years ago and thought they were amazing live. They matched the intensity of their albums.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I caught them a few years ago and thought they were amazing live. They matched the intensity of their albums.
I dunno what it was, but the whole performance just seemed off and forced, like they were on their last leg or something.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Bought Gojira's "From Mars To Sirius" A while back, and haven't been able to stop listening to it. It's amazing. It took a while to get into, it seemed repetitive at first, but the more I listened to it the more I noticed, and the more I loved it.

Also got Nile's "In Their Darkened Shrines" for my b-day, seems good but I haven't got the chance to listen to it much yet.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Bump. This thread is excellent for reccomendations. I've been trying to get to metal but there's just so fucking much to listen to. Lately I've been listening to some Pantera, Slayer, Megadeth and Cradle of Filth and been really enjoying it.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Demon Hunter and 36 Crazyfists lately. Sadly, while Demon Hunter gets better with each album, 36 Crazyfists hasn't ever matched up to their debut. They'll never write another song as "Slit Wrist Theory". Rest Inside the Flames was a good album, but going almost totally hardcore doesn't really seem to work for them...
Also good to know you're getting into my style of music, X. Now we have another common ground on which to speak with.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Also good to know you're getting into my style of music, X. Now we have another common ground on which to speak with.
Yeah, I guess. But I'm really not very versed in the subject, barely beginning to appreciate the thing (couldn't tolerate it two years ago), but yeah, diggin' it.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:35 PM
No worries, I'm more willing to spend all the time I have helping you get well-versed in metal. I've got quite a long history with it, so yeah...
And good starting bands, though I've developed somewhat of a distaste for Cradle as of late... I dunno.

Also, I just remembered DevilDriver has their new album out on July 31. Fucking awesome. Their previous two albums are up their in my top albums.
Here's the cover art:

Also funny to know that "Driving Down the Darkness" and "Devil's Son" were used on the February 20 episode of Scrubs. Weird. Too bad I've not even watched season 5 yet...

Last edited by Tyler_Durden_208; 04-27-2007 at 07:37 PM..
Old 04-28-2007, 02:41 PM
a-noted, thanks. You're probably going to slap my face when you hear this. My favorite Cradle song actually is Nymphetamine, but I didn't like the album. "Cruely and the Beast" is the one I've liked the most out of those I've heard. I think that one's older.

I also just listened to some Suffocation. I'm goddamned impressed by the guitarist (or whatever that is), holy shit.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I actually think "Nymphetamine" is a great song. I like some of other songs on the album ("Nemesis" in particular), but I prefer Dusk and Her Embrace, Midian, and yes, Cruelty and the Beast. However, I do like Nymphetamine better than Damnation and a Day. Just don't much care for that album, besides "Babalon A.D. (So Glad for the Madness)" and "Mannequin". I haven't listened to the new album, as I just don't really care enough. Maybe I'll give it a spin. Too busy listening to the new From Autumn to Ashes right now...
Old 04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Listening to Nile's "In Their Darkened Shrines". Awesome album, and surprisingly epic for technical DM. Then again, I guess that's what Nile does. I love this band. "Unas, Slayer Of The Gods" is amazing. Still need Black Seeds Of Vengeance, though.

Wanna get more DM. Don't have enough. Need some Cryptopsy, Obituary, Pestilence, Suffocation. Plus others.

I also want the new Dark Tranquility. Anyone have it?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:36 PM
I do. It is just as awesome as their last album. I mean, nothing new or amazing, status quo for Dark Tranquility, but that still means it's a great album.
And you definitely need some Obituary. That's my favorite DM band.
Plus their frontman has the best name ever: John Tardy. Ha.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Quote:
I actually think "Nymphetamine" is a great song. I like some of other songs on the album ("Nemesis" in particular), but I prefer Dusk and Her Embrace, Midian, and yes, Cruelty and the Beast. However, I do like Nymphetamine better than Damnation and a Day. Just don't much care for that album, besides "Babalon A.D. (So Glad for the Madness)" and "Mannequin". I haven't listened to the new album, as I just don't really care enough. Maybe I'll give it a spin. Too busy listening to the new From Autumn to Ashes right now...
Mannequin is an awesome song. And good to see you mentioning Midian because I loved that especially because of "Cthulhu Dawn" which is my second favorite Cradle song.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
Mannequin is an awesome song. And good to see you mentioning Midian because I loved that especially because of "Cthulhu Dawn" which is my second favorite Cradle song.
"Cthulhu Dawn" is one of the songs that got me into Cradle in the beginning because of my love for Lovecraft (no pun intended). I've actually got a shirt somewhere with Great Lord Chthulhu on it with the song title on the back and the CoF logo on the front. Dammit, now I'm gonna hafta go listen to some Cradle. Thanks X, now I can't be all elitist and bash Cradle anymore. j/k
Old 04-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Quote:
I do. It is just as awesome as their last album. I mean, nothing new or amazing, status quo for Dark Tranquility, but that still means it's a great album.
And you definitely need some Obituary. That's my favorite DM band.
Plus their frontman has the best name ever: John Tardy. Ha.
Hmm, I'll probably get it then. Character was awesome, even if the early stuff was better. Still though, I wish more bands would get innovative and original once in a while. It gets annoying to see bands settle into a groove and refuse to change it up, regardless of how well the formula works. But whatever...

In regards to Obituary, I think the next purchase I make will be (in addition to the new DT) Slowly We Rot/Cause Of Death, the "Two From The Vault" thing that Roadrunner does. 2 classics for $20 sounds good to me. I've been meaning to get Cause of Death for like 2 years now.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:40 AM
I've been digging the shit out of drone metal lately. Perfect shit to smoke a bowl too.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Hmm, I'll probably get it then. Character was awesome, even if the early stuff was better. Still though, I wish more bands would get innovative and original once in a while. It gets annoying to see bands settle into a groove and refuse to change it up, regardless of how well the formula works. But whatever...

In regards to Obituary, I think the next purchase I make will be (in addition to the new DT) Slowly We Rot/Cause Of Death, the "Two From The Vault" thing that Roadrunner does. 2 classics for $20 sounds good to me. I've been meaning to get Cause of Death for like 2 years now.
Yeah, I mean, but look at the bright side. DT could've settled into a groove to which they keep getting worse and worse. In Flames for one. I still like all their albums, but they need a swift kick in the ass to get back in form.

The Two from the Vault thing is pretty cool, I never really care for the added demos or live tracks, but like you said, you get two awesome albums for the usual price of one. I think their best album was their last one, Frozen in Time. I just never get tired of that album.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:36 PM
I've been listening to some Opeth and Demon Hunter and I couldn't help but listen to their less loud tracks and I ended up liking those much more. Opeth's "Damnation" is gorgeous, and some tracks in Demon Hunter's "The Tryptich" are also amazing. I loved "One Thousand Apologies", "The Tide Begins to Rise" and "Deteriorate".

Anyone else liked that mellower sound better than the harder metal?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't think I could say 'better'. But I do agree that Damnation is an amazing album.

If you like Damnation, you should check out Porcupine Tree, you might like them. They're Steven Wilson's band, who produced much of Opeth's stuff.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 PM
I like Damnation, but I prefer Opeth when they're weaving heavy and melodic together. Blackwater Park is my favorite album by them.
And I like all sides of Demon Hunter. You should check out their song "Infected" off their first album. It combines their mellow side with their hardcore sound pretty well. That's why I like them, they're metalcore, but they don't do the same stale things most metalcore bands do.
Also, if you like Demon Hunter, check out 36 Crazyfists first album, Bitterness the Star. It's a little less clean and most people don't like the warbling melodic vocals, but I love it. "Slit Wrist Theory" is one of my favorite songs.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Awesome, thanks for those reccomends.