Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I've been digging the shit out of drone metal lately. Perfect shit to smoke a bowl too.
I think the sleeps album holy mountain is the prime example of this
Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM
The last couple of minutes of Opeth's "In Mist She Was Standing" is the best thing ever recorded. It's too epic.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Roy L Dennis
I think the sleeps album holy mountain is the prime example of this
Any Sleep is a prime example
Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
The last couple of minutes of Opeth's "In Mist She Was Standing" is the best thing ever recorded. It's too epic.
I think that may be my favorite Opeth track, but my favorite album is still Blackwater Park.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
I think that may be my favorite Opeth track, but my favorite album is still Blackwater Park.
I dunno, Blackwater Park is definitely a great album, but IMO it just just doesn't have that passion. It feels too much like a band that knows what they have to do to make a really goddamn good album, and doing it. The early stuff has a certain sense of the band loving what they're doing and putting everything they have into it, regardless of what may come of it. If any of that makes sense. In addition to that though, I also just prefer the fancy guitar playing Opeth to the heavier, more rhythmic Opeth (though obviously the older stuff is still heavy). Though Blackwater Park is still a great album. To each his own, I suppose.

Hmm, I think my favorite Opeth track might actually be The Apostle In Triumph. I love that song. It's not as epic as the end of In Mist She Was Standing, but I think I might like it more as a whole. Though unfortunately I haven't heard all their albums yet, so there's no way to say for sure.

Speaking of which, I REALLY need Morningrise and Still Life. That's priority #1.

On an unrelated note, new In Flames is just so bad. Why couldn't they have stayed amazing?

Last edited by Powerslave; 05-02-2007 at 05:07 PM..
Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I think we can all just agree that Opeth rules and that any Opeth is good Opeth. I do love all their albums equally up until Blackwater Park, and then Deliverance and Damnation are great, but not amazing, and then Ghost Reveries is back to being amazing.
And you'll have to special order Still Life somehow... It's been out of print for a little bit. I have no idea why, but it is.
Those two are classic albums. There was a point where I just listened to Still Life for a week. It was the only thing I listened to.

And yes, new In Flames is very mediocre compared to their previous work... Soundtrack to Your Escape is something I can only listen to every once in awhile, Come Clarity is an improvement (I do love "Dead End", great song) but still not that great. Reroute to Remain is the last album I thoroughly enjoyed by them.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Opeth definitely are FTW, My Arms Your Hearse is probably my favourite of their albums althuogh all are amazing

as for In Flames i dont think i've been disappointed with any of their albums and i was very surprised with Come Clarity although none compare to Clayman IMO
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 AM
I'd like to mention at this time that Tiamat's Wildhoney is possibly my favorite metal release of the 90's. I only think their previous albums are just alright, but with Wildhoney they came into their own and I love it.
Also, I love all of their albums afterward and am anxiously awaiting a new one. And Johan Edlund (the vocalist) has a side project, Lucyfire, that's pretty damn good, too.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
Just listened to that. Very cool. How's the rest of the album? "Orchard" I think it is.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
Just listened to that. Very cool. How's the rest of the album? "Orchard" I think it is.
Very, very good. Well, the re-release's bonus demo track kinda sucks, but the entire actual album is very good. Any Opeth is good Opeth in my mind.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Quote:
"Orchid". The whole album is amazing. The standouts in my opinion would be In Mist She Was Standing, Twilight Is My Robe, and (my personal favorite) The Apostle Of Triumph. Though the whole album is pretty much equally incredible. One of the albums I always find myself returning to. If you liked In Mist She Was Standing, you'll like the rest of the album too.

Except for the bonus track, Into The Frost Of Winter. Kinda sucks. But bonus tracks often do, so whatever. I usually just ignore it.

EDIT-Tyler beat me to it.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Man, you people like some junk. But, I started playing metal back in the late 70's, and that is what gave me my start (now play classical and jazz). Maybe I've become a musical snob, but there is some real crap on this list. My younger brother (20 years younger) tortures me with some of this nonsense. I still do like some metal, but you know...bands that have some knowledge of music always helps.

Maiden
Priest
Sabbath (with Dio)
Dio

That is metal, not a bunch of guys who don't know how to play, so they tune their instruments 3 to four steps lower than 440, so the "noise" sounds like something dark. Garbage.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't like you.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Why? Hey, Rain Man is one of my favorite movies also.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:00 AM
That's good to hear, but I'm pre-programmed not to like elitists or anyone who disrespects another person's taste, dismissing it as "garbage."
Old 05-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Well, It probably doesn't make it any better, but at least I admitted that I am a musical snob. I guess Iím pre-programmed myself to despise certain ďmusicď, if you can actually call it that. Or maybe Iím just a disgruntled musician who spent decades mastering an instrument, and basically never got that big break - only to see people with absolutely no talent getting record contracts and making millions. It's not like I don't like Metal - like I said, I do like my Maiden, Priest, and Sabbath (and some others).
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM
A lot of those people playing this stuff do have talent. I'm surprised that the guys in Opeth and Mastodon don't pass out after shows the energy they put into their music and are very talented.
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to disrespect it. I don't like or understand most of the music popular on this board outside of this thread, but I still respect the opinions of others and that those people are making a living doing what they love.
I myself have tried to get things running in a band, but when things didn't work out, I didn't get pissed off, thinking I was better than any other band. It's just a gamble. You have to play your damnedest at that one show that counts where someone who can take that next step for you will be their notices. Most bands, it never happens, but like I said, I never get pissed at other bands for it.
I have respect for the classic metal bands, but I love the whole genre. If you have a hatred for anything but the classics, you're probably not gonna have a fun time in this thread.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Anyone ever here of Gorod, they are freaking fantastic technical death metal band. I just heard Leading Visions by them and I need more now.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Quote:
If you have a hatred for anything but the classics, you're probably not gonna have a fun time in this thread
You're probably right. This is just a sore spot with me, and like I said (and you), there isn't much you can do about being pre-programmed, it's almost instinctive. And some things are just plain facts, regardless of peoples likes and dislikes. As Jefferson said "We hold these truths to be self-evident".........that...... if it looks like crap, and it smells like crap.....guess what? IT'S CRAP!!!!!!

I'm too old, and have been through too much to hold on to phony politically correct "let's be open and accepting to everything" nonsense. It's just a false self denial. The truth is that some music is not even music in the most primitive sense of the word. It just flat out sucks, period! There is no justification for it, whether I'm a musician or not, or whether I like it or not. It's not about anyone's opinion, it's a fact! Three toed sloths could play instruments better than a lot of these bands!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diapason
You're probably right. This is just a sore spot with me, and like I said (and you), there isn't much you can do about being pre-programmed, it's almost instinctive. And some things are just plain facts, regardless of peoples likes and dislikes. As Jefferson said "We hold these truths to be self-evident".........that...... if it looks like crap, and it smells like crap.....guess what? IT'S CRAP!!!!!!

I'm too old, and have been through too much to hold on to phony politically correct "let's be open and accepting to everything" nonsense. It's just a false self denial. The truth is that some music is not even music in the most primitive sense of the word. It just flat out sucks, period! There is no justification for it, whether I'm a musician or not, or whether I like it or not. It's not about anyone's opinion, it's a fact! Three toed sloths could play instruments better than a lot of these bands!
Oh yeah.

It makes me wonder though, why you'd come here in the first place. I mean, just look at the title of the thread; "Any Metal Fans Out There??!?!?!!???"---Apparently that cancels you out from the get-go. And look at all those unnecessary exclamation points and question marks. Hell, it was even started by a guy named MaggotShroom. You knew that you wouldn't get any support from anyone in this thread, so you were either looking to start a big angry argument, or looking to vent your frustrations about the music that the kids are listening to these days (since you're apparently everyone's venerable elder at 39 years old). I don't really care or have any interest in your opinions or general point of view, since you've made it very abundantly clear that we'll probably disagree on most matters concerning music (or rather that you'll be right on most matters concerning music), but at the same time I still want to know why you'd bother posting what you've posted so far. I mean, it will only cause people to get angry. And I'm all for not blindly respecting people's opinions just on general principle. For example, I don't respect your opinion, because I have no reason to. But I'm also against preaching, lecturing, talking at or down on people simply because you believe (key word-believe) that your opinion (two key words in one sentence, high five) is "fact". You might as well go ahead and make up some lists of required favorite movies, books, TV shows, magazines, colors, animals, foods, and shapes, so everyone will have the facts straight.

So you either came in here to start arguments, or you came in here to tell people that you're better than they are; that they're wrong and you're right. But neither of those things are justified. You can have opinions, just as I do, but you can't vomit your opinions down my throat.

PS-Don't take this as me being angry, just take it as me not liking you.

Last edited by Powerslave; 05-06-2007 at 01:18 AM..
Old 05-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Quote:
I'm too old
Quote:
The truth is that some music is not even music in the most primitive sense of the word. It just flat out sucks, period! There is no justification for it, whether I'm a musician or not, or whether I like it or not. It's not about anyone's opinion, it's a fact! Three toed sloths could play instruments better than a lot of these bands!
Discrepancies are strong in this one.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Quote:
The truth is that some music is not even music in the most primitive sense of the word. It just flat out sucks, period! There is no justification for it, whether I'm a musician or not, or whether I like it or not. It's not about anyone's opinion, it's a fact! Three toed sloths could play instruments better than a lot of these bands!
that gets a from me
Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I do love that dancing cat icon though. I rescue stray cats, and have 11 myself. Saved over 100 to this point, and given them to great people. I wouldn't give them to anyone who listens to "Morbid Angel" or "King Diamond" though. Hey, if the shoe fits....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
is this what i have to look forward to? Jesus life is going to suck at 40 if i can't pull my head out of my ass enough to appreciate the music around me. maybe i should just enjoy it now before i'm stuck listening to the same records for 15 years. shit what a depressing birthday this is.

Just a reminder, the new Psyopus will fucking melt your face.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I dunno. I just couldn't get into the last Psyopus. They're talented, but I guess I just don't "get them", so to speak. I'll give the new one a try, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM
well its like the last album only times two if that helps you. if there was just to much going on on the last album for you, don't worry about listening to this one.

this guitar player should really be ranked as one of the best in metal, but i don't think that enough people will ever care. he will never get his due and its a damn shame.

Last edited by thedamnwolfman; 05-07-2007 at 11:32 AM..
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM
I don't really know what it was. I wanna give it another chance sometime, but it just never really grabbed me. It may just be one of those albums I'm gonna have to listen to a few times before I get into it.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Psyopus? Heard the name before, but that's it. What's it like?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
http://www.myspace.com/psyopus
Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thedamnwolfman
http://www.myspace.com/psyopus
Thanks.

Hmm, pretty cool stuff. I'm liking it, even if I've only listened to it for a couple of minutes. The guitar is pretty crazy.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Another sweet band I just found that I didn't know anything about are Blind Illusion. They are a mid 80's thrash band with prog influences and Les Claypool is the bass player. They only have one album called Sane Asylum and it owns. It's become one of my favorite thrash albums ever and Claypool's bass is a bit of a reason since it makes it sound so much more different than other thrash metal.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:08 AM

Anybody here into Pro-Pain ? They're borderline HC but they are more borderline trash I guess. Record wise, they don't get lots of spins by me since all their songs sound more or less the same but their debut "Foul taste of Freedom" stands out. The reason I mentioning them is that I saw them live a few days ago and they totally trashed the place. Most impressive concert this year for me so far.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dehydrator
Anybody here into Pro-Pain ? They're borderline HC but they are more borderline trash I guess. Record wise, they don't get lots of spins by me since all their songs sound more or less the same but their debut "Foul taste of Freedom" stands out. The reason I mentioning them is that I saw them live a few days ago and they totally trashed the place. Most impressive concert this year for me so far.
Yes, Pro-Pain are a great band but I see where your comming from. Myself, I just have a select number of their songs downloaded because as you said they tend to get repetitive. I'm sure they destroy live though.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:17 PM
I dig the Pro-Pain. I've been listening to a lot of Immolation. The new album is fucking amazing. They never disappoint. The same goes for the latest Dying Fetus album.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:52 PM
EVERYONE NEEDS TO LISTEN TO THE NEW HORSE THE BAND CD. Good shit. The new Behemoth is pretty awesome, as well, and I'm currently listening to the new Sigh. Good stuff so far. Got the new Kamelot and Pig Destroyer, too.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:40 PM
So the new Behemoth has leaked, eh? I'll wait it out. I'm not a proponent of downloading albums before the release date. The anticipation is the best part.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
New Behemoth is meh. It has it's moments, but lacks the crushing brutality of their previous work and is very generic. Nothing really stands out. Where'd you find the new Horse The Band. It doesn't come out till August. Did it leak, cause I'm dying to hear it.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Oh, there's gonna be a new Behemoth out? I did not know this. Interesting. Personally, I'm probably more psyched for the new Nile album, Ithyphallic, though they've yet to announce a US release date...
Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Shit, I'm slipping! I had no clue about the new Behemoth or Immolation, which I'm really ashamed of myself for. Immolation are one of my favorites.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:42 PM
I need to hear the new Immolation.

I can't believe it took me this long to listen to them, but I'm hooked on the Japanese band Sigh. Fuck, this is the strangest band ever. They mix Black Metal, Disco, Trip-Hop, Reggae, and Traditional Hard Rock. They are like Mr. Bungle on more acid. I've only heard their album Imaginary Soundscapes right now and it owns. The song Sunset Song sounds like Weezer with Black Metal Vocals.