Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalGuy
Yes, Pro-Pain are a great band but I see where your comming from. Myself, I just have a select number of their songs downloaded because as you said they tend to get repetitive.
Yeah, me too. I had some of their albums taped but usually it's only one or two songs that really stand out (such as "Love / H8" from their self titled which is totally killer). Some bands can get away with that rather well (Motörhead) but Pro-Pain isn't much of a album-listening band. Fucking glad I invested the money for the show though.

Speaking of concerts, Paul Di Anno was rolling through my place last night and he rocked! I idolize the first two Maiden albums so it was divine for me to hear stuff like "Prowler" or "Murders in the Rue Morgue" performed by the guy himself. He also played some of his solo stuff which was quite cool as well, I need to get the "Murder One" album by Killers one of these days. He seemed very natural and down to earth on stage, he's still stuck in his punk rock persona but in a very charming way.

I'm curious about the new Behemoth, "Demigod" was one hell of an album and their earlier works are quite good too. I read in an interview with Nergal that he's been wanting to go into a different direction, could be a good suprise.

Playlist:
Iron Maiden - debut 10/10
Iron Maiden - Killers 10/10
Sunno & Boris - Altar 8/10
The Gathering - Home ( 7 /10 ) a bit of a letdown so far but I need to give it more spins
Six Weeks Omnibus Volume II (Japanse Hardcore Sampler, weird stuff) 8/10
Kreator - Reneval 8/10
ProPain - Shreds of Dignity 7/10
ProPain - The Truth Hurts 4 / 10
ProPain - Foul Taste of Freedom 8/10
Old 05-26-2007, 08:37 PM
First playlist I've posted in a while, new stuff:

Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain 9/10. Im a huge fan of the Ozz so I'm biased here and have read some bad reviews but its Ozzy and Zakk being themselves here, and I like it.

Megadeth - United Abominations 8/10. I'm staring to really dig this one. At first I cringed when I first heard their were re-workin "A Tout le Monde" but it happens to be one of my favorite tracks here.

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli. 9/10. What a badass album. I liked the idea of Dimmu doing a concept album, and it fits them perfectly.

Six Feet Under - Commandment 8/10. Typical SFU groove DM offering. If you like SFU, you'll like it.

Type O Negative - Dead Again 9/10. I I I I AM A PROPHET OF DOOOOOOMMMM \m/

Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao 9/10. Mayhem rule, what else is there to be said?

Dying Fetus - War of Attrition 8/10. Same with the new SFU, soild stuff.

Machine Head - The Blackening 8/10. This is good stuff. Ashes... was a step in the right direction, this keeps on going in said direction.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Playlist From the last couple of weeks

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris - 10/10
Blind Illusion - Sane Asylum - 9/10
Sigh - Galliows Gallery - 8.5/10
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape - 9/10
Sigh - Scorn Defeat - 8/10
In The Woods... - Omnio - 7.5/10
Job For A Cowboy - Genesis - 7/10
Behemoth - The Apostasy - 5/10
Gorod - Leading Vision - 9/10
Old 05-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Six Feet Under can suckle the yeast in my urine. Commandment is embarrassing. They're not even trying. Barnes sounds fucking terrible. What happened to him? If you watch recent live footage of SFU, you'll notice that he isn't even growling. He's just panting through phlegm. Thank God he was kicked out of Cannibal Corpse.

Here's what I've been listening to. No ratings because I haven't slept in 30 hours.

Emperor-Nightside Eclipse
Swallow the Sun-Hope
Pharaoh-The Longest Night
Immolation-Shadows in the Light
Immolation-Failures For Gods
Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I just discovered Killswitch Engage yesterday. I downloaded all of their albums. I think I'm in love.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 AM
checked out the new Behemoth album and was very disappointed with it (hoping it'll grow on me over time)....do rather like Dimmu Borgir's latest though
Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by therealjohng
I just discovered Killswitch Engage yesterday. I downloaded all of their albums. I think I'm in love.
I definitely prefer their first two albums with Jesse Leach over the Howard Jones stuff. Alive or Just Breathing is one of my favorite metal albums. I like Jones, he's a great vocalist in Blood Has Been Shed, but with KSE, he just sounds kinda mediocre. Still, the later stuff is still pretty decent.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
Emperor-Nightside Eclipse
I've also been listening to Nightside Eclipse. Decent album (though it's the only Emperor I've heard). I really, REALLY liked "Beyond the Great Vast Forest" and fell in love with "A Fine Day To Die".

It's "DAY to die", godammit!

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 06-02-2007 at 10:03 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cronos
checked out the new Behemoth album and was very disappointed with it (hoping it'll grow on me over time)....do rather like Dimmu Borgir's latest though
What's it like in comparison to Demigod?

Also--I've been meaning to get In The Nightside Eclipse for like a year now.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
What's it like in comparison to Demigod?
just tried giving it another listen and ended up throwing on Thelema.6 instead (currently my favourite of their albums), it's kind of similar in sound to Demigod but doesnt work nearly as well as that album, there's some really distracting sounds in it that didn't work for me. i can generally get straight into their music but i found it difficult with The Apostasy
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
and fell in love with "A Fine Way To Die".
You know it's a cover of a Bathory song? Great album all around.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I listened to Behemoth's "Prometherion," and I fucking dug it. It's fast, intense, and evil. I like evil. I have a feeling that I'll be fond of The Apostasy.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thebloodfeaster
You know it's a cover of a Bathory song? Great album all around.
I had no idea what a Bathory was. But thanks, I'm going to hunt that down.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Quote:
I had no idea what a Bathory was. But thanks, I'm going to hunt that down.
No problem.

Bathory was one of the first bands to take the Venom sound and solidify black metal as a genre of its own. Then after a few albums they started playing Viking metal (pretty much first band to do that as well).

A Fine Day to Die (be sure you search for Day, not Way) is on the Blood Fire Death album, which was kind of in between the black metal and viking metal era.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thebloodfeaster
No problem.

Bathory was one of the first bands to take the Venom sound and solidify black metal as a genre of its own. Then after a few albums they started playing Viking metal (pretty much first band to do that as well).

A Fine Day to Die (be sure you search for Day, not Way) is on the Blood Fire Death album, which was kind of in between the black metal and viking metal era.
Thanks for the expansion. Since you were really speaking in japanese right now, I could only make out the most important bits, the rest I'll have to investigate (all these billions of metal sub-genres confuse the shit out of me; black metal, death metal, symphonic metal, gothic metal, viking metal, gore metal, trash metal, power metal, nu metal, Fred Durst).

But I'm definitely interested in Bathory.

By the way, I wanted to ask. I fell in love with some songs I've heard by Demon Hunter, particularly "One Thousand Apologies" and "Not Ready to Die" and I wanted to ask you the more versed schmoes for other bands or songs that have a similar sound to Demon Hunter and those songs. Mr. Durden was nice enough to suggest 36 Crazyfists and it was somewhat close to what I was looking for but not enough (though I only looked for random songs, any particular songs/albums would be helpful). Anyone else care to suggest? Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 05-31-2007 at 04:59 AM..
Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Dry Kill Logic is pretty similar to Demon Hunter. I'm not into either band, but it's decent melodic nu-metal.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM
As for 36 Crazyfists, anything off of their first album Bitterness the Star ("Turns to Ashes", "An Agreement Called Forever") is awesome. In particular, "Slit Wrist Theory" is fucking great.
And Dry Kill Logic as countchocula suggested is like Demon Hunter, but angrier (not less melodic though). For DKL, try "Neither Here Nor Missed", "Goodnight", "A Better Man Than Me", "Paper Tiger", "No Reason", "Kingdom of the Blind".
Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks a lot.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Sweet merol gods, Opeth's "A Still Day Beneath The Sun" is one of the most beautiful tracks I've heard.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by therealjohng
Same here. "My Last Serenade" wsa probably the first 'heavy' song I ever liked (years ago) but I've been listening more to them and I really liked what I heard.

By the way, countchocula, I checked your homepage, the "Top 5 Pantera Songs" article. Very helpful, making me love the band more.

. . . though I really, really, really like "Fucking Hostile".
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Finally got "Morningrise". It's goddamned amazing.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Sweet merol gods, Opeth's "A Still Day Beneath The Sun" is one of the most beautiful tracks I've heard.
Yes, it is. And thanks for reading my articles. I'll probably be writing another death metal-related article soon.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Playlist From the last couple of weeks

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris - 10/10
Fucking amazing album. Anyway, here's what I've been listening to.

Tomahawk - Anonymous - 10/10 (not metal, but OH WELL)
Despised Icon - The Ills of Modern Man - 8.5/10
3 Inches of Blood - Fire Up the Blades - 8/10
Kamelot - Ghost Opera - 8/10
Arkona - Vo Slavu Velikim - 10/10 (BEST Russian metal band ever)
Battlelore - Sword's Song - 9/10
Behemoth - The Apostasy - haven't listened enough yet
HORSE the band - A Natural Death - 10 out of fucking 10, bitch
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska - 9/10
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast - 10/10
Wintersun - Wintersun - 10/10
Faith No More - Angel Dust - 10/10
Fuck the Facts - Stigmata High-Five - 9/10
In This Moment - Beautiful Tragedy - 4/10 (This chick should never try to scream EVER FUCKING AGAIN; I thought my ears were gonna bleed)
Light This City - Facing the Thousand - 9/10
Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath - 9/10
Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb - need to give it another listen; I feel bad because I've neglected to listen to it because of HORSE the band
Sigh - Hangman's Hymn - 9/10
Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame - 10/10
Summoning - Oathbound - 10/10

I fucking adore Summoning.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 PM
i mainly stick to the anarcho/crust/grindcore thing but i've long been a fan of metal music. these are some of my faves:

Hellhammer/Celtic Frost
Bolt Thrower
Bathory
Death
Baphomet
Venom
Voivod
Carnage
Ludicra
Wolves In The Throne Room
Motorhead
Demigod
Autopsy
Nunslaughter
Darkthrone
Grotesque
Morbid Angel
Heresi
Dismember
Unleashed

and of course... BLACK SABBATH!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Ok, so the other day I took out "St. Anger" for the first time in a while, and before anyone calls me insane let me say what I think. My personal opinion, it's a record that has good moments in bad songs, shit moments in good songs, and songs that should have never been recorded. I personally like the heavy chugging in the title track, and feel for the most part, "Some Kind of Monster" is a decent song. "Shoot Me Again" I also feel has a pretty intense chorus (the part after "shoot me again I aint dead yet", when Lars goes crazy on the drums). My main problem with the album is the songs drag on for way to long, and its mostly the songs that are pure shit such as "Invisible Kid" which could have been ok without the slow parts because I like the opening parts of it. Lyrically, Im in no position to critize becuase I feel music is a great form of self expression and James had a lot of shit to vent. Ok I will say that "Invisible Kid" has some pretty awful lyrics haha. Unlike a lot of people, I didnt find the production THAT terrible, just James voice didnt fit in a lot of parts, and yes the snare can get annoying after a while. Basically, I think this is a very "moody" album. It's a good listen when your just totally pissed off. I'd give it a 5/10. Now I'm ready for the flames
Old 06-09-2007, 02:22 AM
I just saw Skinny Puppy tonight. They still put on a good show.

I saw a poster For Mariylin Manson and Slayer playing together for a Hot Topic tour. I am not a Manson fan at all, but I like Slaer alot.Who would play the opening spot. I'd think Slayer fans would boo Manson the whole time. If Slayer played first alot of people would leave after they where done and not stay for Manson. Unless alot of people like both, it just doesnt seem like alot of people enjoy both bands.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:15 PM
I heard the new Horse The Band. I'd probably go 7 or 7.5/10. It had way too much filler. If they weened it down to about 8 songs it would've been awesome. As their are some great songs on their like "Hyperborea", "Murder", "Sex Raptor", "Treasure Train", and "I Think We're Both Suffering..." I'd say better than Pizza, but not as good as Mechanical Hand or R. Bolax.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:12 AM
I love metal ... I'm blood related to it haha but sometimes I just feel like we need bands to revindicate the genre.
I mean Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage , Job for a Cowboy, Trivium , At the Gates, Hatebreed, Slipknot... they kinda added sth we headbangers needed (lately)...
But I'm still waiting for a TOOL... (Kinda impossible).

Anyway, being a nayive eclectic girl... these are the bands I like, love (some I adore):

Faith No More
Cradle of Filth
Dimmu Borgir
Emperor
PANTERA
Down
Superjoint Ritual
Metallica
Deftones
Judas Priest
Black SabbatH
Black Label Society
Arch Enemy (Yeah girl!)
Blind Guardian
Probot
DamagePlan
Sepultura
Slayer
Type O' Negative
Anthrax
Shadows Fall
Slipknot
White Zombie
Soulfly
Sevendust
Agnostic Front
NIN
My Ruin
Fear Factory
Coal Chamber
Motörhead
Opeth
Deicide
Atreyu
Iron Maiden
The Gathering
Beautiful Sin
Mayhem
Mudvayne
Testament
Skid Row (haha)
Tesla
Immortal
Celtic Frost
Mastodon
Alice in Chains ... an extra.
and HIM ( I know... u all hate me now)

Resorte
A.N.I.M.A.L.
Brujeria
Old 06-16-2007, 04:44 PM
A metal chick! Pleasure to meet you, Jax.

I want a metal chick.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:05 AM
Quote:
A metal chick! Pleasure to meet you, Jax.

I want a metal chick.
I ain't 100% metal ...
Maybe I'm 70%metal hahaha

But sure... I adore metal guys.
Can't help it, works everytime.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Well, I'll go ahead and claim you as mine before Frank and HannibalGuy get a chance.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Well, I'll go ahead and claim you as mine before Frank and HannibalGuy get a chance.
No cage they make can hold me
No law enforced controls me
No trap that's sprung stops me for long

No prison cell contains me
No snare they set will CLAIM ME
Relentlessly I'll fight them all

Hahaha

JP- DM
Old 06-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JaxAlexandre
PANTERA
Just for the fact that you put that in caps makes you awesome
Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Just for the fact that you put that in caps makes you awesome
Of course! Eventhough I hate Anselmo ... I adore PANTERA.
I saw them live just once ( I was too young ) and that was it for me.
And you telling me I'm awesome, makes u awesome too.

Quote:
By the way, I wanted to ask. I fell in love with some songs I've heard by Demon Hunter, particularly "One Thousand Apologies" and "Not Ready to Die" and I wanted to ask you the more versed schmoes for other bands or songs that have a similar sound to Demon Hunter and those songs.
You should check Norma Jean and Underoath.
I don't dislike them but they aren't my bag... baby. Haha.
Underoath has some pretty good tunes though.
As I Lay Dying fits there too.
I think there's an issue of Revolver Mag about Christian Rock performing Demon Hunter on the cover... pretty old. I store my RM so I'll look it up for you and scan the article.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Yuck. I hate Norma Jean with a passion. After Bad Acid Trip (who actually were kind unintentionally funny), they were the worst band on last year's Ozzfest. I kinda like "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste", but then a friend played it over and over and I couldn't stand it anymore.
I've got one of Underoath's albums... It's kinda "meh." Nothing really stands out on it.
I do like As I Lay Dying, though. They manage to stay fresh enough to hold my interest, though I have to be in a certain mood for them.
I think a good number of those hardcore/metalcore bands should just be launched into space. Without spacesuits.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 AM
dont worry... where's POD nowadays? Huh.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Quote:
dont worry... where's POD nowadays? Huh.
Working on a new album apparently.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Of course! Eventhough I hate Anselmo ... I adore PANTERA.
That's where we disagree haha. Big Anselmo fan here. The man used to have a bulldozer of a voice (just listen to Offical Live: 101 Proof) and was THE metal frontman of the 90's.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Quote:
The man used to have a bulldozer of a voice (just listen to Offical Live: 101 Proof) and was THE metal frontman of the 90's.
You got that right... WAS.
I just can't stand him !!
But nothing to do with his vocals. I like Down as well as Superjoint Ritual.
I just don't like him at all (as a person).
Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
Working on a new album apparently.
Yuck. I heard 2 songs from the new album...meh.
I don't give them more than 3 years.