Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm also a big Anselmo fan. I think he's going to make a HUGE comeback with the next Down album. He's a cool guy without the drugs in his system.

Who has the new Vital Remains? It's incredible.
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Only thing I like Phil in anymore is Down. I can't dig as much Pantera as I did when I was younger.

New Vital Remains rules.
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Oops

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 06-19-2007 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
I'm also a big Anselmo fan. I think he's going to make a HUGE comeback with the next Down album. He's a cool guy without the drugs in his system.

Who has the new Vital Remains? It's incredible.
Agreed. I was so pissed when I missed Down when they came to my state a while back on the tour Although when he was stoned on stage he gave us some memorable quotes like on the SJR live at CBGB's DVD, "I want you to be disgustingly fucking attracted to what we doooooo.... this next song is Waiting for the turnin... oooo shittttt!"
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalGuy
... Although when he was stoned on stage he gave us some memorable quotes like on the SJR live at CBGB's DVD, "I want you to be disgustingly fucking attracted to what we doooooo.... this next song is Waiting for the turnin... oooo shittttt!"

HAHA I always enjoy that !!!
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 06-18-2007, 08:09 PM
I think I'm finally warming up more to Chimaira's self-titled album. I still think it's easily not their best album, but it's turning from mediocre to pretty damn good in my eyes. Resurrection still kicks its ass severely, though.
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 AM
I find Chimaira to be crushingly dull. They're so damn generic. I'm not sure how they have managed to retain credibility with most metalheads.

As for Pantera, I feel like I can sing most of The Great Southern Trendkill and Reinventing the Steel. Once I gain the courage, I'll post some mp3's here to get feedback. Their other albums are trickier, although I can nail "Cemetery Gates."
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
As for Pantera, I feel like I can sing most of The Great Southern Trendkill and Reinventing the Steel. Once I gain the courage, I'll post some mp3's here to get feedback. Their other albums are trickier, although I can nail "Cemetery Gates."
Haha the first time I tried "Cemetary Gates" I totally butchered the high parts. Then again I was new to singing. I got "This Love" down pretty good though. On a side note, I totally dig Phil's growl on "Slaughtered". BRUTAL.
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 06-20-2007, 04:46 PM
A-ha! I can do "Slaughtered," too. What's a good site to upload audio files?
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I can't compete you with that one-- but I can sing like Danni Filth (for what is worth)
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JaxAlexandre
I can't compete you with that one-- but I can sing like Danni Filth (for what is worth)
. . . really?

Now that's interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 06-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
. . . really?

Now that's interesting.
Yeah...

I'll show u later haha.
I'll upload "My heart will go on" Filth version. Huh.
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
A-ha! I can do "Slaughtered," too. What's a good site to upload audio files?
www.putfile.com seems to work pretty well
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM
I'll upload something either today or tomorrow. I can actually sing like Dani Filth, too. Jax, you and I can compare shrieks.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm in the minority that likes Dani's shreikey vocals. But I really like Shagrath's vocals, dont know why, I just do.
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
... I can actually sing like Dani Filth, too. Jax, you and I can compare shrieks.
You're on.

Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 06-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Heh. Only in JoBlo does a seemingly casual Metal thread becomes a death grunt match.
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 PM
New Nile album has leaked and it's very badass. It's not anything original, but just some solid brutal death metal. Like Annihilations, the long songs are the best.
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 06-23-2007, 12:18 AM
I've never cared for Nile. I don't know why, but they don't jive on my wavelength. Or something. I prefer Behemoth and Krisiun.

I'll be back with some audio in a jiffy.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Here is the first verse in Morbid Angel's "God of Emptiness." And I threw something random in at the end. Follow the link, kids...

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.p.../Emptiness.wav

I have a better microphone than this, but I need a cord for it.
Reply With Quote
  #541  
Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 AM
I heard one song off the new Nile album (the one that was on the Ozzfest site) and it sounded pretty badass. I can't wait for the album.
Quote:
I've never cared for Nile. I don't know why, but they don't jive on my wavelength. Or something. I prefer Behemoth and Krisiun.
To each his own. I love both Nile and Behemoth, but prefer Nile, just find them more enjoyable/interesting. But I have to say, I've been meaning to check out Krisiun for a while now after hearing lots of good things, but hearing them being compared to Nile and Behemoth, it's bumped them up a bit on my music priorities list.

What would you recommend by them?
Reply With Quote
  #542  
Old 06-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Honestly, I could never get into Krisiun. My friend's got a couple of their albums and they're pretty good, I just don't care for them. I much prefer Nile or Kataklysm.
Reply With Quote
  #543  
Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
What would you recommend by them?
Conquerors of Armageddon, Ageless, Venomous, and Assassination. Brutal stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #544  
Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
Here is the first verse in Morbid Angel's "God of Emptiness." And I threw something random in at the end. Follow the link, kids...

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.p.../Emptiness.wav

I have a better microphone than this, but I need a cord for it.
That made my day. And not in a "LOL u suck!" way. Someone I know (and JaxAlexandre probably knows of) can also pull those flawlessly.

Anyways. I just ran through a couple of band's discographies. here are some of my thoughts.

"Cradle of Filth", though I know it's not the most popular band around here, I've found to be pretty enjoyable. My favorite album by them was, by very far, "Midian". Definitely the most rhythmic, melodic and poetic I heard.

"Opeth", definitely one of my favorite bands. "Orchid" is great with "In The Mist She Was Standing" being the definite high point. "Ghost Reveries" is bautiful, "Morningrise" deserves a mention because of "To Bid You Farewell", but my favorite had to be "Damnation", sorry.

"Epica", tough choice between "Consign to Oblivion" and "The Phantom Agony". Probably have to go with the former because of the awesome "The Last Crusade".

"Demon Hunter", immediately a favorite. I can't choose between "The Tryptich" and "Summer of Darkness", both are awesome. Probably the former is getting my vote. "One Thousand Apologies" and "Deteriorate" are kickass, even if "Not Ready to Die" and "My Heartsrings Come Undone" are also awesome.

"Pantera". I have to thank countchocula for making me search deeper into this band's songs. I hate to admit, "Vulgar Display of Power", my favorite.

I'm sure most of you disagree with most of my choices. But hey, I'm a n00b in the subject. I'm going to keep browsing through bands. Currently, I'm listening to some "Killswitch Engage", "Mastodon" (thanks Tyler_Durden), "Slayer" and some others.
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 AM
By the way. Whichever schmoe reccomended "Porcupine Tree" to me hit the fucking JACKPOT! I'll be sure to pay back . . . somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 06-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
"Mastodon" (thanks Tyler_Durden)
No problem. Finally, I have someone else to discuss Mastodon with, other than a bitch ex. Which albums have you listened to?
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 06-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
"Cradle of Filth", though I know it's not the most popular band around here, I've found to be pretty enjoyable. My favorite album by them was, by very far, "Midian". Definitely the most rhythmic, melodic and poetic I heard.
Midian is a great album. "Her Ghost In the Fog" is my favorite track. When they want to, Cradle write some incredible lyrics, and this song is proof. But my favorite Cradle album is still "Dusk and Her Embrace".
Reply With Quote
  #548  
Old 06-24-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm really into Cradle of Filth right now; I also like

Pantera
Lamb of God
Scum of the Earth
Marilyn Manson
Metallica
Children of Bodom
Type O Negative
White Zombie
Hatebreed
Slayer
Slipknot
Meshuggah
Ozzy (ya gotta like Ozzy)
Danzig
Fear Factory
Sepultura
Megadeth (every album up until Youthanasia)
Dying Fetus
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 06-24-2007, 01:02 PM
[Quote]Originally poster by Hannibalguy
That's where we disagree haha. Big Anselmo fan here. The man used to have a bulldozer of a voice (just listen to Offical Live: 101 Proof) and was THE metal frontman of the 90's

Quote:
Originally posted by JaxAlexandre
You got that right... WAS.
I just can't stand him !!
But nothing to do with his vocals. I like Down as well as Superjoint Ritual.
I just don't like him at all (as a person).

Did you see Behind the Music: Pantera?I am a HUGE Pantera Fan, and I like Down and some Superjoint Ritual - But Phil is a completely egotistical asshole; He did an interview for some metal magazine shortly before the untimely demiise of DBD, and said that DBD should be beaten to death (or something to that effect), Then DBD dies, and Phil's all crying about how he lost a brother, and that he wasn't allowed at the funeral, and that Pantera would have done a reunion thing, and that he didn't say the DBD needs a beating thing seriously, (basically attempting to repair his own guilty soul). This is the same guy who did albums with Eyehategod, Down, Superjoint Rutial, and other bands, while the Abbots, sat on their asses waiting for Phil to get back to them so they could make a new cd. The Abbots decided to leave Pantera (the group THEY made, well before Phil was in the picture), after waiting for 2 years! to start a new band - Phil was mega pissed at the Abbots for leaving Pantera, and talked shit about them every chance he had publicly or otherwise. Like I said, I Love Pantera, and Phil's an awesome singer, but he's also a whiny egotistical asshole of a bitch.


R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Last edited by bourahioro; 06-24-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #550  
Old 06-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
No problem. Finally, I have someone else to discuss Mastodon with, other than a bitch ex. Which albums have you listened to?
No albums yet, only random songs. I listened to "Sleeping Giant", "Colony of Birchmen", "Blood and Thunder", "March of the Fire Ants" and "Elephant Man". Enjoyed them.

Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalGuy
Midian is a great album. "Her Ghost In the Fog" is my favorite track. When they want to, Cradle write some incredible lyrics, and this song is proof. But my favorite Cradle album is still "Dusk and Her Embrace".
That song is amazing, my second favorite. My favorite is "Cthulhu Dawn", then "Her Ghost In The Fog", "Tearing The Veil From Grace" and "Saffron's Curse".
Reply With Quote
  #551  
Old 06-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
No albums yet, only random songs. I listened to "Sleeping Giant", "Colony of Birchmen", "Blood and Thunder", "March of the Fire Ants" and "Elephant Man". Enjoyed them.
Yeah, good selection. I definitely recommend getting Leviathan and Blood Mountain. Remission can wait for a bit, as the production just is kinda "meh" on the album but it's still pretty good, but those other two are amazing. Call of the Mastodon is also a pretty good listen, it's the band's earliest recordings.
Reply With Quote
  #552  
Old 06-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bourahioro
Did you see Behind the Music: Pantera?I am a HUGE Pantera Fan, and I like Down and some Superjoint Ritual - But Phil is a completely egotistical asshole...


R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell
I cried my ass off with that BtM...
And yes, Phil is still grieving (Yeah right).
I do think it was a wise decision to keep him away from the funeral services.
I definitely miss Dime... I bought the DimeVision DVD a couple of months ago and it's still hard to watch.
All I can tell is that I'm never watching that BtM again...
Reply With Quote
  #553  
Old 06-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
By the way. Whichever schmoe reccomended "Porcupine Tree" to me hit the fucking JACKPOT! I'll be sure to pay back . . . somehow.

Oh... they're definitely something.
I love "Wedding Nails". I used to play it on class (Creative Design) the whole time.

You should check OSI and Blackfield.
Reply With Quote
  #554  
Old 06-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
That made my day. And not in a "LOL u suck!" way. Someone I know (and JaxAlexandre probably knows of) can also pull those flawlessly.

Got me...
Reply With Quote
  #555  
Old 06-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Give Phil a break. No one here has ever said something you regret about someone you love? Families fight all of the fucking time. Besides, it wasn't Phil talking; it was the drugs. Heroin turns you into a different person.

Nightcrawler, it was probably me who recommended Porcupine Tree. I'm a big fan, although I haven't heard the new album. As Jax said, you need to check out Blackfield.
Reply With Quote
  #556  
Old 06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JaxAlexandre
Got me...
Yes, well. Not being comfortable giving real names in message boards I'll have to tell you later.

Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
Nightcrawler, it was probably me who recommended Porcupine Tree. I'm a big fan, although I haven't heard the new album. As Jax said, you need to check out Blackfield.
I'll try that, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #557  
Old 06-24-2007, 08:26 PM

I know I'll probably catch some hell for this but I am more of a punk/hardcore fan and the only metal band I ever SERIOUSLY got into was System of a Down. Not Toxicity or Steal this Album so much but there debut album I just found fantastic. Some really off the wall funny type of shit. The double album they released a couple of years ago was pretty good too.

Other than that just some random Metallica songs but never any albums as a whole. Motor Breath, Fight Fire With Fire, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Master of Puppets, Sanitarium, Battery. That type of shit. There 90's material, or at least the singles I have heard, never sounded anywhere near as good. They just lost their intensity.

I guess I probably would enjoy thrash metal more than anything. Anybody have any suggestions?

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Reply With Quote
  #558  
Old 06-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by teenkiller


I guess I probably would enjoy thrash metal more than anything. Anybody have any suggestions?

Personally, I wouldn't call SOAD metal. But, they are the closeset to it of the current crop of radio rock. They did ape a bunch of Emperor riffs for their last too albums.

I've been on a huge thrash kick lately. Especially technical thrash.

Here are some great bands outside of the really known ones (Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Metallica)

Kreator
Watchtower
Coroner
Blind Illusion (Awesome shit, a couple members of Primus are in it including Les Claypool. This is pure late 80's goodness)
Dark Angel
Destruction
Death Angel
Sodom
Exodus
Tankard
Artillery
Nuclear Assault (They have a really big hardcore influence mixed with 80's thrash.)
Municipal Waste (Ditto except replace 80's with now.)
Vio-lence
Annihilator
Reply With Quote
  #559  
Old 06-24-2007, 11:19 PM

Thanks. Tried finding some of that stuff. Can't come up with anything for Blind Illusion unfortunately. I DID get some stuff from Nuclear Assault though. Surgery, Emergency, and Torture Tactics. Torture Tactics I could have done without but Surgery and especially Emergency were both pretty kickass. Also in the middle of getting a song from Emperor. Figured if SOAD ripped off their riffs I may as well listen to the originators. Song called I am the Black Wizard. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Reply With Quote
  #560  
Old 06-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by teenkiller
There 90's material, or at least the singles I have heard, never sounded anywhere near as good. They just lost their intensity.
They've had a habit for a while of releasing the worst songs on the newest albums as singles. Not to say all are shit, I like "Until It Sleeps", King Nothing", "Fuel" and "The Memory Remians", except for that goddamn croaking in it. GAH!!! I think "Load" was a pretty good record for what it was (a hard rock album plain and simple) and "ReLoad" had it's moments.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump