Old 06-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Not familiar with Until it Sleeps. King Nothing I just flat out hate, Fuel is alright, and I actually really like The Memory Remains. The newer single, St Anger is pretty much worthless with the exception of the chorus.

Also, a while ago I dl some Black Dahlia Murder songs but the only one that really caught my attention was Funeral Thirst. Depending on how you view them I am also a fan of Suicidal Tendencies. Well their 80's material anyways. I bought that Suicidal for Life piece of shit and decided not to track down anything else from their 90's catalogue.

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
I love me some Black Dahlia Murder.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I'd like to add Hellwitch and Flotsam & Jetsam to Frank's thrash list. Teenkiller, Emperor is miles away from SOAD. SOAD'S biggest influences were Faith No More and Mr. Bungle.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by teenkiller
Not familiar with Until it Sleeps. King Nothing I just flat out hate, Fuel is alright, and I actually really like The Memory Remains. The newer single, St Anger is pretty much worthless with the exception of the chorus.

Depending on how you view them I am also a fan of Suicidal Tendencies.
I've said what I think about St. Anger in a previous post, but they should have released "Sweet Amber" as a single IMO.

Suicidal is AWESOME.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
I'd like to add Hellwitch and Flotsam & Jetsam to Frank's thrash list.
F & J are so underrated it's a shame.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalGuy
I've said what I think about St. Anger in a previous post, but they should have released "Sweet Amber" as a single IMO.

Suicidal is AWESOME.
Their debut punk/hardcore album is fucking CLASSIC! Join the Army and How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today are also relatively good despite having some misses. With Suicidal for Life they just really seemed to dumb themselves down.

Anybody ever listen to the Dayglo Abortions? They were one of those "crossover" bands that started out punk and wound up playing metal. They put out some pretty good shit though.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Quote:
My pick would have been "Shoot me again", it's by far the best track on the album in my opinion. On a whole I think it would have made a decent ep like
1.Frantic
2.St. Anger
3.Dirty Window
4.Invisible Kid
5.Shoot me again
6.The unnamed Feeling

The rest of the album is sub-par in my book.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dehydrator
My pick would have been "Shoot me again", it's by far the best track on the album in my opinion. On a whole I think it would have made a decent ep like
1.Frantic
2.St. Anger
3.Dirty Window
4.Invisible Kid
5.Shoot me again
6.The unnamed Feeling

The rest of the album is sub-par in my book.
"Shoot Me Again" is badass when it gets heavy after the chorus and near the end when James goes "bite my tounge trying not to shoot back...". That's a good EP type song list for that album, but like I said in the first post I made about St. Anger, "Insivible Kid" starts good but man, that "such a quiet boy..." section is irritating. I quite like "My World" too.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:52 AM
So... Why didn't anybody tell me At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul ruled so much? Seriously, I fucking love this album.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
So... Why didn't anybody tell me At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul ruled so much? Seriously, I fucking love this album.
Yeah, that album's the shit. I especially love "Cold", "Under The Serpent Sun" and "Suicide Nation".
Old 07-01-2007, 05:32 AM

While Slaughter of the Soul is a fucking brilliant album I prefer their first two records ("The Red in the Sky...", "With Fear..."). SOTS properbly started off that whole Goteburg-sound trend (death metal meets NWOBH) which was influencial (ripped off) by many bands that made it big today (In Flames comes to mind). Therefore it's their most well regarded one, but if you really wanna find out about ATG as a band just track your way back.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 AM
I actually picked up all four of their albums. I just really like Slaughter of the Soul. I do have a question though. How is it that SotS was influencing In Flames, when In Flames came out with Lunar Strain in '94, which was pretty much the sound In Flames would later have just with heavier vocals, and SotS wasn't even recorded until May '95?
I thought that along with At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity, In Flames were one of the creators of the genre to being with.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:16 PM
In Flames kind of ripped off Dark Tranquility, but they are one of the Gothenburg pioneers. I fucking love The Jester Race. However, I no longer respect them since they currently suck the crusty tip of my cock. I've never been a fan of At the Gates.

EVERYONE needs to buy the new Porcupine Tree album. I finally picked it up yesterday. Oh my everfucking Christ. It's jaw-dropping.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I still like In Flames, but I'll be the first to admit their last two albums suck in comparison to the rest of their work.

I actually haven't even listened to a full Porcupine Tree album yet, but I'm going to give the new one a chance later this evening.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:10 PM

In Flames did a kickass cover of No Fun At All's "Strong and Smart". I really love both versions.

On another note Shai Hulud also did kickass covers of Bad Religion's "Anasthesia" and NOFX's "Linoleum. These guys sound pretty solid.

My one friend tried getting me into Six Feet Under. I couldn't get into the death vocals but their music was actually pretty damn good. I dl their cover of The Dead Kennedy's "California Uber Alles" but it wasn't all that good.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 PM
The Jester Race and Whoracle still rank among my favorite albums, but yeah In Flames has definitely turned to absolute shit with the past few albums. I had some hope for Come Clarity, too. Goddamned pseudo-meaningful album title.

Hmmm, It's always weirded me out to think about other At The Gates albums, because no one can ever shut the hell up about SOTS (justifiably so, badass album, but still) and yet never seem to really mention their other albums. Maybe I'll pick one up.

Quote:
EVERYONE needs to buy the new Porcupine Tree album. I finally picked it up yesterday. Oh my everfucking Christ. It's jaw-dropping.
Hmm, I heard it kinda paled in comparison to In Absentia or Deadwing or some of there other albums. At least that's what a friend of mine (huge PT fan) says. I only have In Absentia which is incredible. So I dunno, I might get it.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Quote:

My one friend tried getting me into Six Feet Under. I couldn't get into the death vocals but their music was actually pretty damn good. I dl their cover of The Dead Kennedy's "California Uber Alles" but it wasn't all that good.
Haven't heard it, but I've always really loved SFU's cover of "War Machine" by KISS. They have some other good stuff, but mostly I'm not a big fan (at least from what I've heard which is a decent amount).
Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
I actually picked up all four of their albums. I just really like Slaughter of the Soul. I do have a question though. How is it that SotS was influencing In Flames, when In Flames came out with Lunar Strain in '94, which was pretty much the sound In Flames would later have just with heavier vocals, and SotS wasn't even recorded until May '95?
I thought that along with At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity, In Flames were one of the creators of the genre to being with.
The style that In Flames play on their debut is like a dumbed down version (for me anyways) of earlier AT THE GATES material, kind of like "With Fear" without the complex structures and spaced out lyrics.. Their breakthrough album was "The Jester Race" (95) which was like another dumb down of ATG, but more in the vain of SotS - basically it's more catchy, the kind of death-metal cheesy german power metallers Halloween would play.

Ten pairs of ears can hear ten different things in the same music so I am by no means saying that my opinion on In Flames is the be-all-end-all of opinions on them but I could never take them serious. Take a look at how ATG evolved from "Gardens of Grief" up to "Stots" and tell me In Flames compare...

Last edited by Dehydrator; 07-01-2007 at 03:35 PM..
Old 07-01-2007, 04:44 PM

Has anyone ever heard The Teddybears? I heard they were a Swedish death metal band and I dl a track of theirs that had IGGY POP doing vocals and although I really loved it it is by no means death metal. Any body know the story on these guys? Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
Hmm, I heard it kinda paled in comparison to In Absentia or Deadwing or some of there other albums.
To me, it's just as good as Deadwing, which I adored. "Anesthetize" and "Way Out of Here" are prog rock orgasms.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Has anyone ever heard The Teddybears? I heard they were a Swedish death metal band and I dl a track of theirs that had IGGY POP doing vocals and although I really loved it it is by no means death metal. Any body know the story on these guys? Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Are you talking (well, writing) about TEDDYBEARS STLM ? One of their album covers is basically a huge ass pentagramm. It's not death metal though, more late 80's style punk I think (that album I mean is from somewhere around 1995). The title is "You are Teddybears".
Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dehydrator
Are you talking (well, writing) about TEDDYBEARS STLM ? One of their album covers is basically a huge ass pentagramm. It's not death metal though, more late 80's style punk I think (that album I mean is from somewhere around 1995). The title is "You are Teddybears".
Yeah that would be the band. Here is a blurb that I read about them on Wikipedia which led me to believe they were death metal:

As for the name, "If you're familiar with the Swedish or Norwegian black metal scene, you know back then every band was called things like 'Corpse Grinder From Hell,' ┼hlund says. "So we called ourselves the Teddybears as an 'anti' thing."[2] Band members wear large bear masks in album art and promotional photographs.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Check out my scream...

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.p...420/scream.wav

I can't decide which Pantera song to post. Any requests?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:45 PM
New Cephalic Carnage and New 3 Inches Of Blood both rule. Everyone should check them out.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Well, I've expanded my horizons a bit to include Vader, Behemoth (only the last three albums though, I don't care much for before that), Deicide, and God Dethroned. Plus, I've dusted off my Cannibal Corpse and Cryptopsy albums. Some pretty sweet stuff.
However, I am trying to find a band that I really liked when I heard them... They were a Tolkien-inspired death metal band that I remember finding through a schmoe's recommendation and I really want to get their albums... Any help? Or recommendations of bands similar?
Also, after realizing that all Nile songs inspired by Lovecraft kick major ass, I'd love to find some Lovecraft inspired metal.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Did anyone listen to my scream? C'mon, indulge me!

And I don't care for the new 3 Inches of Blood. To me, it's boring.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Did anyone listen to my scream? C'mon, indulge me!
Indulged, you've been. I did listen to both. And the second scream sounds closer to the stuff I've heard than the other one (which wasn't a scream, granted). Cool stuff.

Anyway. Just got myself some "Cryptopsy" and "Cannibal Corpse", which I had never heard properly before. I liked it fine, "Cannibal Corpse" moreso ("Eyes of the Dead" is pretty cool), but it's hilarious how I can't place them apart. They sound the same to me.

I also been listening to more "Midian". I'm falling in love with that Cradle album. "Tearing The Veil From Grace" is amazing.

Also, "Devil Driver" is pretty cool, so thanks for that reccomendation.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Which Cannibal Corpse songs did you listen to?

I hate Devildriver. Again, I find them boring.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Well, color me suprised as Dream Theater's new album is actually pretty good. Their's not as much guitar and keyboard wankery as the previous two or three albums and they put together some good songs. It's probably their heaviest album in a while as well.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Well, color me suprised as Dream Theater's new album is actually pretty good. Their's not as much guitar and keyboard wankery as the previous two or three albums and they put together some good songs. It's probably their heaviest album in a while as well.
I always liked Dream Theatre, and yeah, the new album is great. Same goes for the new Symphony X album. But all must hear the new SLOUGH FEG!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Quote:

I hate Devildriver. Again, I find them boring.
Hahaha... they are.

You've inspired me to record a bit of Suicidal Note pt.1 hehe...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Quote:
I always liked Dream Theatre, and yeah, the new album is great. Same goes for the new Symphony X album. But all must hear the new SLOUGH FEG!
I thought their last 3 or 4 albums were pretty meh. Their last awesome album was probably Metropolis Part 2.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 AM

Ha ha. Devin Townsend rules.

An intergalactic war over a cup of coffee.

Best.

Concept.

Ever.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badbird

Best.

Concept.

Ever.
Thus far it's my favorite album of the year. Haha.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Still need to check it out. Devin never lets me down, so it should rule.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badbird

Best.

Concept.

Ever.
HAHAHA... I fuckin' love him!!
He has the best sense of humor... I still remember that sockpuppet!! lol
Old 07-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Ziltoid is so awesome. Devin always produces quality stuff.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 AM
I did find it to be a lot heavier and more aggressive than the typical Devin Townsend Band album. It felt closer to Strapping Young Lad than anything.

Awesome regardless.

Did anyone get the "Special Edition" of the album with the bonus disc? I was wondering if those extra tracks were any good.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
I like SYL alot but never listened to the Devin Townsend Band. What's the difference?

The new Nile album is awesome as hell, but I'd like to see them expand their sound some, maybe get a bit more experimental with the 'Egyptian' sound. It still feels like the same old Nile. Still awesome (probably better than Annihilation Of The Wicked) but It still doesn't feel like they've reached their zenith. But still, it is an awesome album.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:02 AM
King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul... Please 9/10
Behemoth - The Apostasy 8/10
Nile - Ithyphallic 7/10
Immolation - Shadows In the Light 9/10
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omnicient 9/10
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Hardworlder 8/10
3 Inches of Blood - Fire Up the Blades 8/10
Darkest Hour - Deliver Us 7/10