Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 12:32 PM
It should also be stated that King Diamond rules all.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trail_Blazer
I like some metal... None of the hardcore garbage that some people would call "music"... But stuff like Metallica, Disturbed, Manson, Mudvayne, etc.
I don't consider Manson or Disturbed metal. Metallica used to be metal, only the first four albums though.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Early Manson was metal. Portrait of an American Family and Antichrist Superstar are some really good heavy albums. I would consider him more industrial, but those lines are pretty blurred. But think early on in his career he was metal.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Hardcore, metalcore, emocore... it's all the same to me.

9 times out of 10 I prefer actual singing to screaming, as well as a real melody rather than mindless thrashing. Oh, and songs over three minutes long.

And Metallica is still metal. Marylin Manson is still metal. To me, everything is metal first, subgenre second. Manson may be more industrial now, but he's still metal. And better than ever in my opinion. And St. Anger rubbed me the wrong way at first, but I gave it more listens and it really grew on me. It's rediculously heavy. Unconventional? - yes. Metal? - very much.

Personaly, I think Metallica's first two albums are highly overrated and I don't even like them anymore. Puppets, Justice, and Black Album makes a great trilogy of sorts. But for my money, they were never more polished and fined tuned than during the Load/Reload era. I absolutely loved that sound.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badbird
But for my money, they were never more polished and fined tuned than during the Load/Reload era. I absolutely loved that sound.

About damn time I find someone else who agrees with me. I think Load is a fucking fantastic record and their best production wise.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:46 PM
I think "Load" is a great record. True, it was way differant then anything they've done before that, but I think they put out a solid hard rock album. Didn't like ReLoad so much. As for St. Anger, well... Im not gonna lie, I like some of the tracks on it.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalGuy
I think "Load" is a great record. True, it was way differant then anything they've done before that, but I think they put out a solid hard rock album. Didn't like ReLoad so much. As for St. Anger, well... Im not gonna lie, I like some of the tracks on it.

Damn right dude, I don't like the album as a whole. But there are some stand out tracks. And yeah, Reload isn't very good. Again some stand out tracks. Fixxxer, Where the Wild Things Are, Attitude, Memory Remains. Love those tracks.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:04 PM
i like magadeath and ac/dc
Old 08-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Load is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. Load, Puppets, Justice, and Lightning are the only Metallica albums I can get into. I too think Kill Em' All is pretty overrated save for a few tunes.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Reload is pretty uneven, but there are some real killer songs on there. Fixxxer is increadible. Aditude absolutely rocks and is my favorite track there. Prince Charming, Bad Seed, and Devil's Dance are good. Was never a big fan of Fuel, but it sure gets a lot of radio play.

Carpe Diem Baby, Low Man's Lyric, and Where the Wild Things Are get the skip button.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Glad there are more people like me in the world who love Load and Reload.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I love a little bit of everything when it comes to music, but metal has always been my passion. I love every type of metal. Some of my favorites are:

Kamelot
DragonForce
Iced Earth
Strapping Young Lad
Swarrrm (AWESOME Japanese grind band)
Pig Destroyer
Edguy
The Gathering (although their most recent CD isn't really metal)
Dog Fashion Disco (not really metal, but they're a harder band; they really can't be classified)
3 Inches of Blood
Behemoth
Cannibal Corpse
Summoning
Battlelore
Blind Guardian (can't wait for the new CD)
Beholder
Between the Buried and Me
Cattle Decapitation
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Tristania
Old Man's Child
Epica
Dying Fetus
Finntroll
Bal-Sagoth
Ensiferum
Vampire Mooose
In Flames
Borknagar
The Great Kat (that chick can SHRED)
Galneryus
Sex Machineguns
Flagitious Idiosyncrasy In The Dilapidation (kick ass all female grind from Japan)
Opeth
The Dillinger Escape Plan (Irony is a Dead Scene is brilliant)
Slayer
Fast Eddie
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Circle of Dead Children
Cryptopsy
Mod Flanders Conspiracy
Lamb of God
The Sword
Light This City
Killswitch Engage
Look What I Did
The Black Dahlia Murder
Dark Moor
Despised Icon
Falconer
Goratory
Intestine Baalism
Leng Tch'e
Nasum
Powerglove (speed metal covers of video game music, beotch)
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder
Thorr's Hammer

The only hardcore type band that I like is HORSE the band, but they're freakin' amazing. They play what they called Nintendocore, hardcore type music laced with Nintendo sounding keyboards. I recommend that everyone give them a chance.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dfd3657

The only hardcore type band that I like is HORSE the band, but they're freakin' amazing. They play what they called Nintendocore, hardcore type music laced with Nintendo sounding keyboards. I recommend that everyone give them a chance.
That band is a freaking blast live too. They rule.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Horse the Band are fucking whacked, but I got into them. They're videos are hysterical. I saw one where the premise was all the flying monkies from the Wizard of Oz were out of work after the Witch died, and the video is just the monkies looking for jobs. Great stuff.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dfd3657
Kamelot
Iced Earth
Strapping Young Lad
The Gathering (although their most recent CD isn't really metal)
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Finntroll
In Flames
Opeth
The Dillinger Escape Plan (Irony is a Dead Scene is brilliant)
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
The Black Dahlia Murder
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder
It's nice to know we agree on that many bands
Although, I only like Dillinger when Patton does the vocals, and I only liked Jesse Leech-fronted Killswitch.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:27 PM
The more and more I listen to Dillinger Escape Plan, the more I love them. Great music, great energy. Supposedly their live shows are nothing short of brilliant. About 10 months ago Trent Reznor saw them live and told everyone to go see them. A lot of his fans asked him if he would get them to open for NIN on tour. His resonse, "There is no way I would come out after them." That's quite the compliment.

Has anyone here seen them live? I'd love to know what you guys think of them.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
D.E.P. are fucking great live. Even if you don't really care for their albums, I still recommend seeing them live.

Does anyone like A Life Once Lost? I love their album "Hunter" but after I lost my first copy I couldn't remember why I liked it that much and then I saw them at Ozzfest Saturday and instantly went to pick up their CD. Great band, great live show. Plus, I recommend any Lamb of God fans pick it up for Randy's guest vocals on "Vulture".
Old 08-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
It's nice to know we agree on that many bands
Although, I only like Dillinger when Patton does the vocals, and I only liked Jesse Leech-fronted Killswitch.
I think that Miss Machine is a fucking great CD. Mike Patton DEFINITELY rubbed off on them a little bit. I can't wait for their next CD.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Have any of you guys heard DEP's Plagarism EP? That shit is awesome. Half the songs are covers, but great ones at that. But all around a good listen.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
DEP is okay, but they're overexposed. I'm sick of hearing about them. Horse the Band is pretty cool, though I wish the vocals were as imaginative as the music.

Every metalhead needs to get the new Anata and the new Into Eternity albums. They're the best bands that no one talks about.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
Every metalhead needs to get the new Anata and the new Into Eternity albums. They're the best bands that no one talks about.
Into Eternity is great. When you say new album do you mean "The Scattering of Ashes?" cause I though it was due in October. Did it leak?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
No, but I've heard one song, and I just know that the entire album will destroy all that is holy.

Have you heard of Anata?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
Have you heard of Anata?
Yes. I've got "Under A Stone With No Inscription" and it's pretty good tech-death.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 PM
For old times sakes, My recent playlist:

Strapping Young Lad - The New Black 9/10. This just totally destroyes. DONT YOU FUCK WITH METAL! \m/

The Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra 9/10. Hevy Devy never fails, and DTB's new shit rocks.

Darkthrone - The Cult Is Alive 9/10. Indeed, the Cult is fucking alive! Darkthrone may have thrown in some punk into this one, but it's still Darkthrone, and they will always rule.

Burzum - Det Som Engang Var 10/10. Classic, mandatory black metal from the master Varg.

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse 10/10. See Burzum.

DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage 10/10. Sue me, or call them gay but but I love DF. Incredible musicanship here, and the melodies get stuck in my head for days.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Quote:
For old times sakes, My recent playlist:

Strapping Young Lad - The New Black 9/10. This just totally destroyes. DONT YOU FUCK WITH METAL! \m/

I think this may be one of their best albums. At least neck and neck with City.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:51 AM
I recently picked up the new GRAVE cd. Its pretty cool. Reminds of Death Spiritiula Healing and Entombed Left Hand Path. Though its not as good as either of those records. It does have a nice version of the Alice in Chains hit "Them Bones".

The new Slayer is pretty good. Better than God Hates Us All, but not as good as the "classic" stuff. The lyrics have alot to do with Satan so they come off as cheesy sometimes. The music kicks hard though.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Quote:

DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage 10/10. Sue me, or call them gay but but I love DF. Incredible musicanship here, and the melodies get stuck in my head for days.
That CD is amazing. I love it. Through the Fire and Flames has been played a like a million times in my iTunes.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I think this may be one of their best albums. At least neck and neck with City.
Agreed. City was incredible. Alien was just totally insane. I heard Devin stopped taking his biploar meds when he was writing Alien. I can totally believe that. Just read the lyrics to "Shitstorm".
Old 08-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Agreed. City was incredible. Alien was just totally insane. I heard Devin stopped taking his biploar meds when he was writing Alien. I can totally believe that. Just read the lyrics to "Shitstorm".
You are correct, sir. Which is why "The New Black" sounds so calm and laid-back (in a good way) compared to "Alien".
Also, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who likes Hatebreed (well, the only person I know of personally, the people who were there at Ozzfest seemed to love them as much as me), am I right in my feeling of loneliness? I can't see why more people don't dig on their "brutal, but uplifting" style.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Quote:
You are correct, sir. Which is why "The New Black" sounds so calm and laid-back (in a good way) compared to "Alien".
Also, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who likes Hatebreed (well, the only person I know of personally, the people who were there at Ozzfest seemed to love them as much as me), am I right in my feeling of loneliness? I can't see why more people don't dig on their "brutal, but uplifting" style.
I just hate their style of music. It's so generic and watered down to me. I hate all the bands that play that style (Bury Your Dead, Throwdown, Sinai Beach, Terror, Madball, etc...)
Old 08-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Hatebreed are actually one of the few modern hardcore bands I like. These days, hardcore is so far up it's own ass it's not even funny. It's not about the music anymore. Now, it's all about who's in what crew, who is toughter, bla bla bla. It's just as bad as rap. Old school hardcore is where it's at. Black Flag, Agnostic Front, ect...
Old 08-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Hatebreed are actually one of the few modern hardcore bands I like. These days, hardcore is so far up it's own ass it's not even funny. It's not about the music anymore. Now, it's all about who's in what crew, who is toughter, bla bla bla. It's just as bad as rap. Old school hardcore is where it's at. Black Flag, Agnostic Front, ect...
That's why I like Hatebreed. Like older hardcore bands, they're more about the music and you can tell from the lyrics (such as "You're Never Alone") that they really do care about their fans.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Converge is my favorite modern hardcore band. The most intense live show I've ever been too as well. Damn, the intensity of the albums totally matches the live show.

Also, the new Mastodon album has leaked and I'm listening to it. I'm on the fourth or so song right now and don't worry they still fucking rule despite being on a major label. Easily, one of the top metal albums of the year so far unless the rest of the album is horrible.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Converge is my favorite modern hardcore band. The most intense live show I've ever been too as well. Damn, the intensity of the albums totally matches the live show.

Also, the new Mastodon album has leaked and I'm listening to it. I'm on the fourth or so song right now and don't worry they still fucking rule despite being on a major label. Easily, one of the top metal albums of the year so far unless the rest of the album is horrible.
Good to know. That'll make up for Lamb of God's "Sacrament" sucking so bad (for a LoG album, at least).
Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Quote:
That's why I like Hatebreed. Like older hardcore bands, they're more about the music and you can tell from the lyrics (such as "You're Never Alone") that they really do care about their fans.
True. As far as integrity goes, they've got it. Another song that expresses it is "Live For This".
Old 08-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Good to know. That'll make up for Lamb of God's "Sacrament" sucking so bad (for a LoG album, at least).
Meh, I used to live on LoG. New American Gospel is still a damn good album, but then they went to shit. Their next two cd's sound exactly alike with every two song and what I've heard of Sacrament is even worst. Redneck is a horrible horrible song. If you want to ape Pantera's sound, that's fine. But, if you want to ape Pantera's sound from their last album that's just horrible.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Meh, I used to live on LoG. New American Gospel is still a damn good album, but then they went to shit. Their next two cd's sound exactly alike with every two song and what I've heard of Sacrament is even worst. Redneck is a horrible horrible song. If you want to ape Pantera's sound, that's fine. But, if you want to ape Pantera's sound from their last album that's just horrible.
New American Gospel is my fav LoG album. That and Burn the Priest. I liked Palaces, but Ashes sounded way to rushed. I like "Redneck" and the guys took their time on this one, so I'm hoping it'll be good. With Redneck, they tried something different. See if the whole album is like that.

Speaking of trying something differnt, Satyricon's "Now, Diabolical" is a pretty sweet album. I like the direction they're going, despite some hardcores bitching about it. Their earlier black metal still is their best shit, but I liked the last 2 albums.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 PM
I definately agree that "Now, Diabolical" is a good album. I've been listening to it and "Volcano" repeatedly lately.
But I still refuse to budge on the new Lamb of God. The sound is pretty much Randy trying to force Phil's "Reinventing the Steel"-era vocals into the LoG sound. And that's pretty much the entire album.
At least Stone Sour's "Come What(ever) May" (not metal, but still a great album), Mastodon's "Blood Mountain", and Hatebreed's "Supremacy" have made up for it. Plus Jamey Jasta's new project, Icepick, is pretty damn good. Not even Ice-T was able to ruin it.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Quote:
I agree, I first got into hardcore when Earth Crisis, Vision of Disorder and Snapcase were the three biggest bands. None of those bands are around now. I've seen Hatebreed four times and they're the only band from the 90s that I still depend on for a good album.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
I find Hatebreed to be boring as fuck. Boring vocals, boring riffs, boring everything. If I'm looking for an adrenaline rush, I need something more extreme. Zao is one of the only hardcore bands I can stomach. They're the creepiest Christian band on the planet.