Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalGuy
The new song is on AA's myspace page.

I just went and listened to this. I have to admit, I haven't been a fan of Amon Amarth, but I like this song. So far that's only two AA songs I've gotten into, this and Bleed for Ancient Gods. I'll have to give the entire new album a listen when I can.

Hannibal-- We need to ressurrect our old recent metal playlist thread.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thebloodfeaster
Hannibal-- We need to ressurrect our old recent metal playlist thread.
That's why I posted my playlist here. All the metalhead's got a good thread going here so why not ya know? Oh, and I can see where your comming from with the Satyricon thing. Yeah, I'm somewhat worried that they might become shit. BUT, for now, they're not. Satyr and Frost havent stopped writing the good tunes.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Recent playlist:

Impaled Nazarene - Pro Patria Finlandia 9/10 (what did you expect, it's freakin IN!)
Summoning - Oath Bound 9/10 (Wow, just wow. GET IT!)
Tearstained - Homicidal Tendincies 10/10 (flawless BM)
Autopsy - Severed Survival 10/10 (totally underrated classic)
Slayer - Christ Illusion 9/10 (the more I listen, the more I like it)
Celtic Frost - Monotheist 9/10 (these guys are ledgends, and the new album is great)
DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage 10/10 (still cant stop listening to it)
Old 08-15-2006, 02:30 PM
My recent playlist (the stuff I have on my PC, I'm too braindead to remember what I've been listening to elsewhere):
Amon Amarth
Between the Buried and Me
The Black Dahlia Murder
Black Stone Cherry
Devin Townsend
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Evergrey
Exodus
Fantomas
Iced Earth
Impious
Iron Maiden
Kalmah
Meshuggah
Mushroomhead
Obituary
Passenger
Satyricon
Sepultura
Slayer
Soilwork
Stone Sour
Strapping Young Lad
Tomahawk
Old 08-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Anyone heard the new Maiden track, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg? I like it, and cannot wait for A Matter of Life and Death.

ALL HAIL MAIDEN!
Old 08-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Anyone heard the new Maiden track, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg? I like it, and cannot wait for A Matter of Life and Death.

ALL HAIL MAIDEN!
Hell yes. It sounds like Maiden's gonna complete another trilogy of great albums. "Brave New World", "Dance of Death", and "A Matter of Life and Death" will be a nice companion trilogy to their last great set of albums "The Number of the Beast", "Piece of Mind", and "Powerslave".
Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Anyone ever listened to The Great Kat? That bitch can SHRED.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Does anyone here like Evergrey? I just ask because I was listening to "When the Walls Go Down" again, and I'd like to vote it best use of spoken word by someone who's not the vocalist. Definately check it out.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
I'd like to vote it best use of spoken word by someone who's not the vocalist. Definately check it out.
IMO, that honor goes to Henry Rollins for his part in Tool's "Bottom".
Old 08-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Quote:
IMO, that honor goes to Henry Rollins for his part in Tool's "Bottom".
Well, this is a bit different, as it's a sound clip of a speech, from a film or something. You should try it though, bloody good.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Danzig - I, Luciferi 1.5/5
Darkthrone - Goatlord 5/5
Darkthrone - A Blaze In the Northern Sky 4.5/5
Candlemass - Tales of Creation 5/5
Cannibal Corpse - Kill 4/5
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption 4/5
Eidolon - The Parallel Otherworld 3.5/5
Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger 5/5
Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall of Fame 4/5
Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains 4.5/5
Old 08-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Recent playlist:

Tearstained - Homicidal Tendincies 10/10 (flawless BM)
I love what I've heard of this band, but haven't heard this one itself. Is it very different from Monumental In Its Sorrow?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thebloodfeaster
I love what I've heard of this band, but haven't heard this one itself. Is it very different from Monumental In Its Sorrow?
Eh... in a way. Tearstained's first 3 albums were called the "depressive trilogy" or something like that. Meaning they had a very depressing sound, yet still had that raw BM feel. The new one is a totally pissed off (thats the way I'd put it) BM record. Needless to say, it's stil Tearstained, and if you liked Monumental then you should def check it out.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Have any of you guys heard Demiricous? I strongly urge anyone who likes thrash/death metal to check out "One (Hellbound)", it's only 10 bucks and it's one my favorite recent metal albums.
http://www.myspace.com/demiricous
Old 08-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Have any of you guys heard Demiricous? I strongly urge anyone who likes thrash/death metal to check out "One (Hellbound)", it's only 10 bucks and it's one my favorite recent metal albums.
http://www.myspace.com/demiricous
Great band. Someone from the Amon Amarth forum turned me onto them.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Great band. Someone from the Amon Amarth forum turned me onto them.
Finally another person who likes 'em. Sounds like those guys have great taste Every time I'd try to turn someone onto them from the Elder Scrolls forum, they'd write them off as a Slayer clone.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, the new Lamb of God isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it's still too much of a Pantera clone for my tastes... I'd give it about a 7/10.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Recent Playlist:

Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame 10/10
Kamelot - The Black Halo 10/10
HORSE the band - THEMECHANICALHAND 10/10
Behemoth - Demigod 9/10 (IT'S T3H BROOTAL!!!!!)
Despised Icon - Consumed By Your Poison 8.5/10
Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery 11/10 (yes, it's that good)
Edguy - Hellfire Club 10/10
Lamb of God - Killadelphia 9/10 (great live album)
Mod Flanders Conspiracy - Take A Ride On My One-Wheeled Rickshaw 10/10
Sodom - Sodom 9/10
The Sword - Age of Winters 9/10

I've been listening to some quality stuff lately.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dfd3657
I've been listening to some quality stuff lately.
Indeed. Summoning, LoG, Behemoth, SODOM (FUCK YEAH!!!)
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Check out this hilarious interview (if you can call it that) with Mayhem from the film "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey". Necrobutcher is hammered and has a lot to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HX8d3SKzA
Old 08-17-2006, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Well, the new Lamb of God isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it's still too much of a Pantera clone for my tastes... I'd give it about a 7/10.
Lamb of God is far heavier and more technical than Pantera. Plus Pantera's first album wasn't that great.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deadguy76
Lamb of God is far heavier and more technical than Pantera. Plus Pantera's first album wasn't that great.
Everything about "Sacrament" is just taking Pantera and throwing it into the "Palaces"/"Ashes" LoG style. I like the album, but it isn't all that original or noteworthy, except for the ripping off of Pantera. And if you're referring to Pantera's power metal days I agree, but if you mean "Cowboys from Hell", I have to disagree, as that's a classic in my book.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM
While I love both Lamb of God and Pantera- I got to say that yeah, in my opinion Lamb of God is far more technechal than Pantera. Dimebag was a better shredder, however.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:28 PM
When I first heard Redneck by Lamb Of God, I was just dreading this album. It actually suprised the hell out of me. It's actually pretty good save for Redneck and a few other Pantera moments here or there. The guitars sound more technical then on Ashes Of The Wake which is a very good thing. I just don't like Randy's vocals anymore. Better than the fake Phil on Redneck, but I miss the raw intensity he displayed on New American Gospel.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
When I first heard Redneck by Lamb Of God, I was just dreading this album. It actually suprised the hell out of me. It's actually pretty good save for Redneck and a few other Pantera moments here or there. The guitars sound more technical then on Ashes Of The Wake which is a very good thing. I just don't like Randy's vocals anymore. Better than the fake Phil on Redneck, but I miss the raw intensity he displayed on New American Gospel.
Yeah, there are some moments from Randy on "Sacrament" that just make me wanna hurl. I think it's the outro to "Forgotten (Lost Angels)" where they're repeating the chorus or something over and over and then Randy does background vocals that keep say "burn" and it sounds horrible. The rest of the band puts in a great performance, but Randy's just "meh." Does anyone else think it's odd that they gave up on political songs and this is the result?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Quote:
And if you're referring to Pantera's power metal days I agree, but if you mean "Cowboys from Hell", I have to disagree, as that's a classic in my book.
Come on, you have to admit Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven rank among the greatest metal albums of all time. They're just flat out better than CFH.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Come on, you have to admit Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven rank among the greatest metal albums of all time. They're just flat out better than CFH.
I like them just about all equally. In fact, "CFH" has one that that "Vulgar" lacks: diversity. "Driven" has one or two out there slowed down tracks and "CFH" has the classic "Cemetary Gates", but "Vulgar" is just almost all thrashing. I like it, but it makes me want to stop listening to the album sooner. Regardless, all of Pantera's albums except for "Reinventing the Steel" are classics to me.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Quote:

No, I like CFH better than both of those. VDoP is great too, but CFH just barely edges it out. Far Beyond Driven is just boring drivel as far as I'm concerned.

I like Great Southern Trendkill quite a bit as well.

I really think their first album with Phil, Power Metal, is a great underrated record. And all of their early albums are often unfairly lumped together with glam metal just because of their hair. The music is really more in the NWOBHM style.

Everybody who likes 2nd era Pantera should really listen to Exhorder - Slaughter In the Vatican. That album was the blueprint they used when they decided to "toughen up."
Old 08-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Recent Playlist:

Kamelot - The Black Halo 10/10
That's the only album of them that I think is really anything special, and I agree with you that it's an asskicker!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Anyone ever listened to The Great Kat? That bitch can SHRED.

She does have shredding skills, there's no doubt about that. And I always enjoy when a new publicity photo of her turns up. But since she never applies her talents to a good song, she's never really been anything other than a novelty act.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Pantera is, and will always be one of my favorite bands. CFH and Vulgar are classics, no doubt, but my favorite is Far Beyond Driven. Some call it boring, but I think it's crushing. That's one heavy ass record.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Pantera is, and will always be one of my favorite bands. CFH and Vulgar are classics, no doubt, but my favorite is Far Beyond Driven. Some call it boring, but I think it's crushing. That's one heavy ass record.
"Driven", to me, suffers from the same problem Meshuggah's "Nothing" gave me when I first listened to it: It's almost too heavy. It just bludgeons you into submission and doesn't let up. Now, after you've gotten used to it, it's a fucking great album, but the first few times, your ears just aren't ready for it.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Quote:
"Driven", to me, suffers from the same problem Meshuggah's "Nothing" gave me when I first listened to it: It's almost too heavy. It just bludgeons you into submission and doesn't let up. Now, after you've gotten used to it, it's a fucking great album, but the first few times, your ears just aren't ready for it.
Heh, I've heard it described like that before. It's defanitly the heaviest thing Pantera did. And aside from certin parts in Strength Beyond Strength and Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills, I love the lyrics. Personal shit from Phil, well done! Shedding Skin, 25 Years, ect... good stuff. and Use My Third Arm is a fucking massive song.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Heh, I've heard it described like that before. It's defanitly the heaviest thing Pantera did. And aside from certin parts in Strength Beyond Strength and Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills, I love the lyrics. Personal shit from Phil, well done! Shedding Skin, 25 Years, ect... good stuff. and Use My Third Arm is a fucking massive song.
Agreed. Like I said, when I first heard it, it was a workout to get past track 5 or 6, now I listen to the whole thing every time I get pissed off, it seems.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:29 PM
The Great Southern Trendkill is their most underrated album, in my opinion. It should be ranked right alongide VDP and FBD, but for some reason, it's paired off with RTS. "Floods," "Suicide Note Pt. 2," and the title track are some of the best Pantera tunes ever. They didn't need hyper-technicality or hyper-speed to be badass.

That Mayhem interview was hysterical. Did you guys see the footage from this year's Wacken? Morbid Angel played an incredible set with Erik Rutan.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
The Great Southern Trendkill is their most underrated album, in my opinion. It should be ranked right alongide VDP and FBD, but for some reason, it's paired off with RTS. "Floods," "Suicide Note Pt. 2," and the title track are some of the best Pantera tunes ever. They didn't need hyper-technicality or hyper-speed to be badass.
Exactly. GSTK is a awesome album. Add Suicide Note Pt.1 to that list of tracks too. It just sounds so depressing.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Exactly. GSTK is a awesome album. Add Suicide Note Pt.1 to that list of tracks too. It just sounds so depressing.
I'd also like to add "War Nerve" just for the lyrics. I could not help but feel like I wanted to punch somebody's face in when I heard "Fuck the world, for all it's worth. Every inch of planet Earth. Fuck myself, don't leave me out." Great stuff. Now, I think I'm gonna go listen to Pantera all night, lol.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Did you guys see the footage from this year's Wacken? Morbid Angel played an incredible set with Erik Rutan.
You bet. I could go on forever on why Morbid Angel rules, but the music speaks for itself. The footage I saw with Erik was awesome, wish I could go this year.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Quote:

Those are probably the only Pantera songs I still fucking love.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 PM
I picked up the Arch Enemy: Live Apocalypse dvd. Its an awesome 2 disc set if you are a fan of the band. The live concert has 18 songs. Most from the Angela-era, but some old ones are thrown in for good measure. The sound and picture are great. There also some bonus live songs from other concerts on the disc. I didnt watch disc 2 yet. Its the normal videos and behind the scenes footage that most dvds have.

Off to see GWAR on Mon. They are playing on a stage thats the size of an old Caprice. It should be interesting.