Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
The new Iwrestledabearonce songs are sounding pretty epic.

If you're into that kind of thing.

www.myspace.com/iwrestledabearonce

"Tastes Like Kevin Bacon" is my favorite.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant_gorilla View Post
The new Iwrestledabearonce songs are sounding pretty epic.

If you're into that kind of thing.

www.myspace.com/iwrestledabearonce

"Tastes Like Kevin Bacon" is my favorite.
YEAH. I can't fucking wait to get my hands on the CD. Their EP is great. It'll be nice to hear the music with an actual drummer. XD I want to go to the New England Metal & Hardcore Festival because they're playing (along with some pretty sweet other bands), but I'm seeing The Birthday Massacre on April 23rd and Walls of Jericho on May 1st. I'm sure they'll tour for the new CD anyway.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalGuy View Post
I've had it since last week just havent had time to comment on it here. It's been a constant play every since I got it. What a fucking record. Looking back at their past albums, I knew they had one like Crack the Skye in them, I just didn't expect it so soon. It's been said before but the vocals are just damn great. I always thought they had an interesting thing going on with the multiple singers and all, but they nailed on this one. I mean, you've got 3 guys singing on "Oblivion" and it dosen't sound forced at all. Brent's voice in particular has improved so much since Blood Mountain. He sounds perfect in the chrous of "Oblivion", and in the openings of "The Czar" and "The Last Baron". The lyrics are exellent all around, with a interesting far out concept, and it works even better that most of them are written as metaphors. It's a testament to how much Brann's writing has improved and if you know the double meaning of the record, you know he put all he had into the writing.

These guys have a genuine love for 70's prog and it shows. Yet they add their own twist to it, mixing their unique style with the bands they love (YES, Genesis, ect...). There are moments in "The Last Baron" where you go "whoah thats some King Crimson shit right there!". I know I'm sounding like an obsessed fanboy with all this but it's seriously quite an achivement if you ask me. They put all they had into the album and I hope they contiune to push themselves with each new record.
The chorus for Oblivion is fucking amazing. Kamelot have always had some of my favorite choruses, but this song ranks right up there. Anyway, on a completely unrelated note, I've never really been a big fan of black metal, but I'm listening to Darkthrone's A Blaze In The Northern Sky right now, and I'm liking it quite a bit.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM
skipped this last week...

Mastodon - Crack The Skye 10/10
Melvins - Stoner Witch 9/10
Black Sabbath - The Eternal Idol 10/10
Black Sabbath - Tyr 9/10
Rollins Band - Hard Volume 10/10
Metallica - ...And Justice For All 10/10
Crowbar - Broken Glass 8/10
Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest 9/10
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalGuy View Post
How does that compare with "Blood Mountain"? I keep hearing it's much less heavy than the others, but to what degree? BM (LOL) is one of my favorite metal albums.

I have a request for you people ("What do you mean you people?"/"What do YOU mean you people?" Bam, no one can make the reference now. X: 1, you: 0).

I want something heavy.
Like, something really fucking heavy. Bone-crushingly, ear-explodingly, turn-my-brain-into-shit heavy.

I was talking with some guys who think metal = Satan (let's face it; metal is more hardcore) and they asked me to show them what was the heaviest thing I had. I found myself absolutely fucking clueless as to what to show them. Cannibal Corpse? Nah (though I did play a bit of that kickass track "Maniacal"). Dissection, Gorgoroth? I ended up showing them some Krisiun ("Slain Fate" to be specific, because I don't have much Krisiun) but I'm sure there has to be heavier shit I don't know of. Now, it's not even because I want to show it to these guys, I just noticed that I don't really have really heavy stuff in my library, and I like heavy. At least I'm pretty sure I do.

So, what can you guys suggest?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
How does that compare with "Blood Mountain"? I keep hearing it's much less heavy than the others, but to what degree? BM (LOL) is one of my favorite metal albums.
Well it's defanitly their most laid-back album, with a classic prog-rock feel. Lot's of incredible melodies, clean vocals and the like. Actually the majority of the rough vocals come from a guest spot on the title track from Scott Kelly of Neruosis. Personally speaking, I think it topsBlood Mountain, but I still love that album. It has one of my favorite Mastodon songs ever on it, "This Mortal Soil".

Quote:
I want something heavy.
Like, something really fucking heavy. Bone-crushingly, ear-explodingly, turn-my-brain-into-shit heavy.
CROWBAR. One of the founders of sludge as we know it today. Get the Sonic Excess In It's Purest Form and Odd Fellows Rest albums for some real down-tuned, back-breaking riffs. Examples:

The Lasting Dose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOl4X_YBl4
Planets Collide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF2N_I3HzoE

Also, if you want the heavy, you cannot go wrong with early MELVINS.

Boris: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U8fRHemfZw
Roman Bird Dog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by1gpV_3PUo

I also feel obliged to mention my boys in Full Blown AIDS: http://www.myspace.com/fullblownaidsband

First song on the player, "Leech". It's basically the heaviest song ever. Vocals might be hard to take at first if your not used to Seth's inhuman screech, but that guitar is tuned WAY the fuck down there.

Last edited by HannibalGuy; 04-13-2009 at 07:03 AM..
Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Heh, the first band that came to mind is Crowbar. Sonic Excess is gut-fuckingly heavy. All of their albums are heavy. Really heavy. Also, check out Tad. They have a Seattle sound, but they're pretty goddamn heavy.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
For the longest time, Time Heals Nothing was my favorite Crowbar album, but it's safe to say Sonic Excess now holds that spot. According to the man Kirk, expect a NEW Crowbar record later this year!

Tad, now that's a name you rarley hear anymore. I always thought Inhaler was really good.

Last edited by HannibalGuy; 04-13-2009 at 03:31 PM..
Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Recent playlist

Between the Buried and Me - Colors 9/10
Mastodon - Crack the Skye 10/10
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play 9/10
Opeth - Still Life 10/10
Opeth - Deliverance 9/10
Opeth - Damnation 8/10
Opeth - Ghost Reveries 10/10
Opeth - Watershed 8/10
Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 AM
[QUOTE=X-Nightcrawler;3016540]

I want something heavy.

[QUOTE]

One of my favorites:

Sleep - Dopesmoker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOpidgBVa5s

Last edited by hrdude; 04-15-2009 at 03:14 AM..
Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Had a marathon run through Agalloch's discography last night... Can't wait for the new album.
Ashes Against the Grain 10/10
The Demonstration Archive 9/10
The Mantle 9/10
Of Stone, Wind & Pillor 8/10
Pale Folklore 10/10
The White 8/10
Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 PM
So here's my dilemma... I was listening to Bloodbath's albums earlier today and I was thinking about how much I really liked every aspect of it... Except the drumming. I don't know what it is but I can't get my head around why that style of drumming is enjoyable. I decided to listen to my Bolt Thrower albums later and while not truly progressive or mind blowing, I love the drumming there. Same with Cannibal Corpse. I'm really trying to find either some bands like Bolt Thrower, Cannibal Corpse or Death that don't feature the rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat, monotonous drumming or an explanation as to why that sound is desirable...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
# I'm really trying to find either some bands like Bolt Thrower, Cannibal Corpse or Death that don't feature the rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat, monotonous drumming or an explanation as to why that sound is desirable...
Hard to tell "what" exactly the drumming did to annoy you but from the bands you listed I gather:
Asphyx
Pestilence
Morbid Angel
early Morgoth
Gorefest
Necrophagist

Keep in mind that I don´t really like Cannibal Corpse, drumming or not so take that with a grain of salt.

Been on a big Reverend Bizarre kick lately, they kicked mighty ass. Anyone familiar with that song "In the Rectory" where they suddenly start speeding up in the middle? It rocks hard. Also everbody go and worship Saint Vitus first two albums, NOW!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehydrator View Post
Hard to tell "what" exactly the drumming did to annoy you
Well to answer the question I also pulled out Nile's In Their Darkened Shrines (one of my favorite DM albums ever) and it really hit what Bloodbath and most DM and Thrash does that just bugs the hell out of me. 9 times out of 10 it's uncomplicated just fast as can be and I just prefer that the drummer be doing something other than just playing the same thing as fast as possible. I just can't wrap my mind around it. It's like if you played the same riff over and over the entire album without any change-ups. It would get old fast.

Quote:
but from the bands you listed I gather:
Asphyx
Pestilence
Morbid Angel
early Morgoth
Gorefest
Necrophagist
Spot on Asphyx, Pestilence, Morbid Angel (totally forget about them *smacks forehead*) and Necrophagist from what I checked out. I'll check out Morgoth and Gorefest when I get a chance.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Some Dethklok songs feature that monotone dry drumming but for some reason I really, really like it, especially in fast-paced songs.

Bloodbath is one of my favorite death metal bands (when Akerfeldt is singing). "Eaten" is bloody epic.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Bloodbath is one of my favorite death metal bands (when Akerfeldt is singing). "Eaten" is bloody epic.
Bloodbath is mucho awesome. The Fathomless Mastery is probably my favorite, as Akerfeldt's vocals are fantastic and the riffage is sweet.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 PM
I dug "Nightmares Made Flesh" myself. I very recently discovered that band myself and what I dug the most is the fact that it's heavy, but I could make out the music without my ears bleeding. I could listen to it, differentiate all the instruments (a rarity for me in death metal) and I could actually understand the fucking lyrics!

I need to listen to more of that and bands like that.

BTW good recommends back there. That über down-tuned guitar sound is sweet.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:42 AM
You know that Akerfeldt isn't on Nightmares Made Flesh, right? Personally, I don't think he sounds as menacing on The Fathomless Mastery. I love Bloodbath, though. It's nothing original, but it's definitely catchy.

Tyler, you seem to be describing blastbeats. I would suggest listening to Infernal Majesty. 1987's None Shall Defy is one of the most influential albums that no one ever talks about. I just ordered it myself. It's fucking incredible. How it's not regarded as one of the best metal albums of the 80's is beyond me.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
You know that Akerfeldt isn't on Nightmares Made Flesh, right? Personally, I don't think he sounds as menacing on The Fathomless Mastery. I love Bloodbath, though. It's nothing original, but it's definitely catchy.
Haha, that's embarrassing.

I could've SWORN that was Akerfeldt in "Nightmares Made Flesh". wtf
*How I Met Your Mother glass shattering sound*
. . . I did know it was him in "Resurrection Through Carnage", though.

But yeah, it's a cool band.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:38 PM
I had the same thing happen to me recently. I remember listening to Montrose's M as a child and loving it (I'm a Hagar fan), so I revisited it recently. I was bewildered to find that Sammy doesn't sing on the album! He only appeared on the first two Montrose records. To be fair, the guy on M sounds like Hagar (especially to a 6-year-old).

X, what do you think of the Bloodbath EP's, Breeding Death and Unblessing the Purity? I love both.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Have only listened to "Breeding Death" and it was very kickass. "Furnace Funeral" is the track I dug the most.

By the way, while we're on deathness. I've listened to some Nile and I dug it very much. Death metal is becoming my favorite subgenre. What's everyone's favorite Nile?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Quote:
By the way, while we're on deathness. I've listened to some Nile and I dug it very much. Death metal is becoming my favorite subgenre. What's everyone's favorite Nile?
In Their Darkened Shrines for me. "Unas, Slayer of the Gods is 11 minutes of perfection.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Definitely In Their Darkened Shrines with Annihilation of the Wicked being a close second favorite.

Thanks for the recommendation Count, first chance I get, I'll give it a spin.

I don't know what it is, but hearing the same blast beat the entire album with no change-ups is very annoying and boring. Especially if the drummer has shitty drums. I'm looking at you 99% of the bands in the "deathcore" fad.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 AM
Funny you mention the drumming; recently I had a similar experience. I noticed upon giving "Dark Passion Play" another listen how absolutely boring the drumming is in that album. Check out "Bye Bye Beautiful" and "For The Heart I Once Had" as the best examples. Still. I don't listen to Nightwish for drumming, so wut-evarr.

Thanks for the Nile recommend. Of "In Their Darkened Shrines" I've only heard "Execration Text"; I'll be sure to give a spin to the entire thing.

BTW anyone notice just how epic this thread is? It's basically the only reason I keep coming back to JoBlo.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 AM
I concur, Dark Passion Play is pretty boring in the drumming aspect. It just sounds like the drummer wishes he was in some radio rock band so he would feel confident that he never has to play anything challenging.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Rollins Band - Weighting 10/10
Mastodon - Remission 9/10
Mastodon - Leviathan 9/10
Mastodon - Blood Mountain 9/10
Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains 10/10
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell 10/10
Melvins - Houdini 10/10

With Crack The Skye never leaving my player since the day I got it, I went back into their discography and all the releases still hold up. Remission is one abrasive fucking album! I didn't include Call of the Mastodon because it's technically a compilation but it's a must have for fans if you ask me.

Additional blabbing:

Man, I'm so fucking pumped for the new Heaven and Hell. 3 tracks made their way onto the YouTubes, "Double the Pain", "Follow the Tears" and "Atom and Evil", the later being a masterpiece of doom, but all those songs, plus "Bible Black" make me think this will be the record that ends up as my #1 album of the year.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm sorry; I only like one song on Crack the Skye ("Oblivion"). I love the concept of the album. Some of the lyrics are genuinely heartbreaking, but the vocals ruin almost every track. None of the vocal melodies stuck to my ribs. With one good singer, they could rival Tool and Pink Floyd.

My early pick for album of the year is Obscura's Cosmogenesis, but there are a couple of monsters on the horizon...The Devil You Know (of course) and Suffocation's Blood Oath.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry; I only like one song on Crack the Skye ("Oblivion"). I love the concept of the album. Some of the lyrics are genuinely heartbreaking, but the vocals ruin almost every track. None of the vocal melodies stuck to my ribs.
This is where we disagree my friend. I find the vocal melodies to be amazing. I mentioned it in my first post about the album, but I think Brent as a singer has improved so much. I love his phrasing in "The Czar" (Don't stay run away/He has ordered assassination and twards the end: Spiraling up through the crack in the skyyyy/Leaving material world behiiind ) and "The Last Baron" (It is hard to see Through all the haze at the top of the trees/Hold my head on stable ground/Watch as the earth falls all around ). Also Scott Kelly nails the vocal during the verses for the title track. I'm not even a Neurosis fan, but his voice captured the utter agony of losing a loved one on that one. Fucking devastating.

Your spot on with the lyrics though. I really admire Brann for the stuff he came up with on the album, it's hard to think about because it's incredibally sad and depressing, but the way they were able to incorporate those personal themes into the concept of the record as a whole came off flawlessly if you ask me. Here I go again with the praise haha.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Picked up a couple CDs today at Newbury Comics.

Boris - Pink
Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious
King Diamond - Abigail
Jucifer - L'Autrichienne
Theatre of Tragedy - Storm

I'm loving Pink so far.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Listened to None Shall Defy last night. Count, you're right, Infernal Majesty is freakin' awesome.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Someone's gonna have to contextualize "Symbolic" (Death . . . of course) for me. I was listening to it today and I . . . kinda didn't get it. God knows I love death metal but a lot of it went over my head.

And speaking of death metal. What are your favorite less death metal popular bands? I've been listening to things like Arsis and One Man Army and I've loved them.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM

I fucking love this album. I've actually had the mp3s of it on my hard drive since it came out, but never actually got around to listening to all of it until I actually bought it the other day. One of the best albums of 2008. And to think this band was in my sister's 17 magazine a couple years ago.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Tyler-You're welcome!

X-My head is full of obscure death metal bands. I wouldn't know where to start, so I'll just mention the last thing I listened to...Order of Ennead (featuring Deicide's Steve Asheim behind the kit). Black metal mixed with Floridian death metal. Very nice. And what do you mean by contextualize? I worship Symbolic.

DFD-Jucifer rules! I own If Thine Enemy Hunger, but I haven't heard L'Autrichienne. Could you compare the two for me?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:
And what do you mean by contextualize? I worship Symbolic.
Heh. Explain, I meant.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Tyler-You're welcome!

X-My head is full of obscure death metal bands. I wouldn't know where to start, so I'll just mention the last thing I listened to...Order of Ennead (featuring Deicide's Steve Asheim behind the kit). Black metal mixed with Floridian death metal. Very nice. And what do you mean by contextualize? I worship Symbolic.

DFD-Jucifer rules! I own If Thine Enemy Hunger, but I haven't heard L'Autrichienne. Could you compare the two for me?
Actually, I haven't heard If Thine Enemy Hunger. All I'd heard before the new CD were a couple songs off I Name You Destroyer. But this CD is just fucking amazing. It's one of the most diverse CDs I have EVER heard. They go from Sabbath-style doom to hardcore punk to grindcore to sludge metal (the 9 minute epic The Mountain is great) to indie rock to everything. And the transitions are perfect. Oh, and I know they're not metal, but I just got back from seeing The Birthday Massacre; what a fucking amazing show. They have an amazing stage presence, and Chibi is fucking hot. XD
Old 04-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Full Blown AIDS - Full Blown AIDS 9/10
Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance 9/10
Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens 10/10
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet 10/10
Meshuggah - Nothing 8/10
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 10/10
Anal Cunt - Old Stuff Part 3 8/10
Old 04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Damn, Hannibal. I need to check out these AIDS fellows.

X, I'm not sure how to explain it. Symbolic doesn't sound like any other band I've heard. It's on a different planet. It's not as complex as other Death records, but the arrangements and the dynamics are first-rate. It's so catchy and yet SO metal.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Quote:

X, I'm not sure how to explain it. Symbolic doesn't sound like any other band I've heard. It's on a different planet. It's not as complex as other Death records, but the arrangements and the dynamics are first-rate. It's so catchy and yet SO metal.
Epica played an amazing cover of Crystal Mountain when I saw them back in September '07. They fucking need to come back to CT again.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Full Blown AIDS rule. That CD is really awesome. The first few songs are like a mix of fast punk/trad metal but the real highlights are to be found on the second half. REALLY DOWN-TUNED REALLY HEAVY sludge/doom with Seth's totally miserable scream on top. It's nothing like Anal Cunt.

http://www.myspace.com/fullblownaidsband. Check out "Leech".
Old 04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Ditto on trying to explain Symbolic. Everything count said is all I can think of to say. It's just an epic, catchy album but yet so undeniably metal.

Listening to Remssions again right now. Man, Brann kills the drumset on "Where Strides the Behemoth".