Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Speaking of Devin Townsend, I just listened to his latest album "Deconstruction." It was okay, but I didn't love it like I did with Addicted. It's very experimental and warped. Very heavy - almost Strapping Young Lad levels of heaviness. But all in all, fairly typical for Devin Townsend.

And by "typical" I mean that there is a sixteen minute epic called "The Mighty Masturbator" right in the middle of the album. Then you have the title track that clocks in at around ten minutes and is all about cheeseburgers... I think.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 AM
How metal is this photo! Big Ben Ward in an Evil Dead muscle shirt.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 AM
For those of you into your Doomcore. Is it me or is there far to many sub genres in metal? Anyhow, hardcore vocals, coupled with doom, if you like your music dark this is for you. Only a couple of 6 minute songs on a split with Ominous Black, but it's looking good for these guys.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Really getting into Bloodbath this afternoon. Mikael Åkerfeldt and Dan Swanö need to do more together.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
I love mostly older metal, but a few newer bands are good...

Judas Priest would be my favorite "metal" band
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath (both Ozzy and Dio eras)
Dio
Ozzy (older stuff)
Metallica (first four albums)
Exodus
Mercyful Fate
Testament
Nevermore
Celtic Frost
Nightwish (with Tarja Turunen)
Kamelot

More that I can't think of at the moment...

I see Korn has been mentioned numerous times in this thread. They're one of my favorite bands along with Deftones, but bands like that aren't really metal, are they? They're just hard rock--kind of a hybrid of different styles. I despise the genre that was spawned from those two bands though (love them, but hate their offspring).
Old 06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Sad news here, and I´m not talking about that new Morbid Angel album :

http://thequietus.com/articles/06289...rian-interview
Old 06-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa6 View Post
I see Korn has been mentioned numerous times in this thread. They're one of my favorite bands along with Deftones, but bands like that aren't really metal, are they? They're just hard rock--kind of a hybrid of different styles. I despise the genre that was spawned from those two bands though (love them, but hate their offspring).
Both are respectable bands in my book though I think Korn have long passed their zenith. Deftones rule though.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Seth Putnam's dead.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm digging Autopsy's first album for a while, Macabre Eternal.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Seth Putnam's dead.
They should release another Anal Cunt record called Your Singer is Dead.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Damn, haven't posted in this thread in a while.

First and foremost, RIP Seth Putnam. No matter what you thought of the man or his bands, he was an original that's for sure. He gave me the last AC record for free, and I was actually insistant on paying him but he wouldn't have it. Great man.

In more happy news, SOURVEIN, of of the heaviest, gnarlyist most awesome sludge bands ever have a new album out tomorrow, Black Fangs. Awesome people preordered it long ago Seriously though, this band rules and if you ask me, are totally underappreciated. These days, good sludge is hard to find it saddens me to say, what with all the hipster dreck and so forth, but Sourvein are a dependable, veteran force. Just listen to these 2 new tracks:

Fangs: http://gunshyassassin.com/exclusive/...angs%E2%80%9D/

Night Eyes: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2011/05/09/sourveintrack
Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 PM
When Hannibal says "check these guys out," you check those guys out. I dug "Fangs." I'm listening to "Night Eyes" right now. Can you recommend some other obscure sludge bands? Keep in mind, I'm not really into sludge that drifts into "stoner" territory.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Can you recommend some other obscure sludge bands? Keep in mind, I'm not really into sludge that drifts into "stoner" territory.
Sure thing.

Fleshpress
13 (legendary NY band, featuing Liz Buckingham)
Toadliquor
Noothgrush
Dread (I was pimping their album pretty hard around here 2 years ago)
Adolf Satan (now defunct, nosiy as fuck, featured Josh Martin of AC and Larry Lifeless of Kilslug)
Hail!Hornet
Up Your Bucket
oh and of course Full Blown AIDS the late, great Seth Putnam's band.

Not really "obscure" bands, just the ones that came to me right away. I assume you already know of the masters of the genre (Eyehategod, Buzzoven, Grief, ect...). Have you heard haarp, on Anselmo's Housecore label?

Last edited by HannibalGuy; 06-21-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Oh yeah, please check out Blessed Offal, devastating newer death/doom band from Boston. Buy their EP too
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalGuy View Post
Sure thing.
Noothgrush
Rockin band this one. Plus you can add in:

Baroness
Boris
Lair of the Minotaur
Sourvein
Balboa
12 Eyes
Eibon
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Been listening to the new Anvil - Juggernaut of Justice - their first new album since the movie came out. It's pretty solid. Probably better than This is Thirteen. Sounds like a mix of classic Moterhead and Judas Priest. Though it does lose a bit of steam towards the end.

I'm glad to see their continued success, but I still don't understand how they haven't been signed by a bigger label, like Metal Blade, Nuclear Blast, or Century Media. Their name recognition alone must be worth something at this point.

Overall: 7/10

The title track kicks ass: Juggernaut of Justice!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Speaking of Devin Townsend, I just listened to his latest album "Deconstruction." It was okay, but I didn't love it like I did with Addicted. It's very experimental and warped. Very heavy - almost Strapping Young Lad levels of heaviness. But all in all, fairly typical for Devin Townsend.

And by "typical" I mean that there is a sixteen minute epic called "The Mighty Masturbator" right in the middle of the album. Then you have the title track that clocks in at around ten minutes and is all about cheeseburgers... I think.
I haven't listened to much of Deconstruction, but I love what I've heard of Ghost so far. It's beautiful, and I've been looking for a new album to fall asleep to (that being a good thing). It's incredibly relaxing. On an unrelated note, I'm currently listening to the new Draconian album, and it's pretty great so far. Also, I'm kind of behind with all the new releases lately. What's good from the last few months (the new Autopsy album slays)?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Really, really fucking good rememberance of Seth Putnam here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/inter...am-remembered/

Features musings from Phil Anselmo, Mike Williams, Tim Morse, Scott Hull, Steve Austin and Dan PATAC, who put out AC's last album.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
If you're into sludgey thrash check out Javelina. I've just come across Beasts among Sheep and it's heavy, fast, has grooves with dual vocals.

http://www.myspace.com/javelinaphiladelphia
Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Really been enjoying A Pale Horse Named Death... They seem to fill that Alice in Chains/Type O Negative void I have for the time being.
Die Alone
Meet the Wolf
Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Anyone heard the new/old Mastodon song "Deathbound"? I say new/old because it was recorded during the Crack The Skye sessions but left off the album. Totally wouldn't fit on that album at all. I think it's badass, sounds like Levaithan era Mastodon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=710UyJF7C48

Word on the street is the new album The Hunter is heavy as hell, so I'm hoping for some Remissionesqe chaos.

Some stuff I've been blasting:

Sourvein - Black Fangs
Godflesh - Pure
Black Sabbath - Tyr
Unholy - From The Shadows
Unholy - Gracefallen
Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Really getting into Whitehorse's latest Progression. Sludgy Death Doom with both growling death vocals and black metal shrieks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVgQCTQ4aMo

Last edited by hrdude; 07-07-2011 at 01:40 AM..
Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Finally getting into Let The Night Roar, seriously heavy sludge/doom band.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalGuy View Post
Word on the street is the new album The Hunter is heavy as hell, so I'm hoping for some Remissionesqe chaos.
Mate I hope so, the album cover is as cool as hell!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM
So Iced Earth has another new singer - the guy from Into Eternity. I think I'm about to give up on this band.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:
So Iced Earth has another new singer - the guy from Into Eternity. I think I'm about to give up on this band.
Oh christ not Stu Block
Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 AM
If you like your doom slow and plodding with female vocals check out Witch Mountains South of Salem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxVel73Hb-A
Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Right now I'm listening to Pulkas' album "Greed" from '99

Last edited by Fenella; 07-19-2011 at 08:08 AM..
Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
New Mastodon song "Black Tongue": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfXCPvkqBM8

The Hunter out September 27!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Anyone heard of MD.45? It was a side project Dave Mustaine did in the 90s with punk singer Lee Ving of Fear. The original album had Ving doing vocals and harmonica, while Mustaine did the music. Then in 2004, when all the Megadeth albums were remastered, Mustain also remastered the MD.45 album, but singing the vocals himself (supposedly the original masters were lost). The album was called The Craving.

Honestly, I really like bother versions. The Lee Ving version has a cool emotional rawness to it, while the Mustaine version sounds just like a Megadeth album form the 90s. If you've never heard it, check it out. It's like getting an extra Megadeth album you never knew about.

"Hell's Motel" - Lee Ving version / Dave Mustiane version

"The Creed" - Lee Ving version / Dave Mustaine version
Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Hooded Menace rule so fucking hard. I've been listening to their Never Cross The Dead album on a daily basis as of late. If you dig death/doom you must check them out. Heavy as fuck, great riffs, grooves, terrefic sence of melody (mostly on the second album) and awesome lyrics. It'd be pretty hard for me not to like 'em, I mean come on, they got their name from one of the best horror series ever (BLIND DEAD FTW!!!) and write about horror movies. So yeah, what I'm trying to say is check em out

The Eyeless Horde: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUn5_Xm1T8A

Terror Castle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ke5zu3JLk

The House of Hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6M3...eature=related

Last edited by HannibalGuy; 08-06-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Old 08-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Dude, I love Hooded Menace. I just turned a friend of mine onto them the other day.

Goddamn you, sign up on Facebook already. I created a metal group where we post songs/videos and expose each other to obscure bands. And I'm on FB way more than I'm on here. DO IT, HANNIBAL!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Dude, I love Hooded Menace. I just turned a friend of mine onto them the other day.

Goddamn you, sign up on Facebook already. I created a metal group where we post songs/videos and expose each other to obscure bands. And I'm on FB way more than I'm on here. DO IT, HANNIBAL!
Trying to get me to change my staunch anti-Facebook policy I see Eh maybe one of these days. Probably not though.

Anyway, next years Maryland Deathfest looks like the best one yet. Look at the fucking line up so far: http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/

Missed this year (stupid surgery) and I'm still pissed I missed Cathedral's last US show ever. No way am I missing next year. Probably the only chance for me to ever see Godflesh.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 PM
feeling old school this week .....

But the latest Cradle of Filth ( Darkly , Darkly , Venus Aversa ) aint bad either.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Low has always been my favorite Testament album. Also really like The Gathering and Demonic.

Just checked out a CD by a band called Powerwolf. They fill the long neglected werewolf-metal genre that has seen little activity. They're pretty kick ass. Think along the lines of Firewind or Nocturnal Rites, with a dash of Iron Maiden influence, and you've got Powerwolf.

Their album, Blood of the Saints, gets my pick for cover of the year... and maybe decade.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Quote:
They fill the long neglected werewolf-metal genre ....
Hahaha !

speaking of metal cheese , anyone know Lich King ? They are hilarious

can't go wrong with a song titled "Attack of the Wrath of the War of the Death of the Strike of the Sword of the Blood of the Beast"
Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Current plays:

Ghost Opus Eponymous 8/10 - I was sceptical of this band at first but listening to them on vinyl won me over. Fucking great stuff.

Pestilence Spheres 8/10 - I don´t care what anybody says - this is their best album. And way better than anything they put out these days.

Pestilence Doctrine 5/10 - see above

Kyuss And the Circus leaves town - 10/10

Sunn O)) Domkirke 8/10

Demon Night of the Demon 7/10

Nevermore debut 7/10
Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 AM
For EyeHateGod fans

http://www.myspace.com/witchden
Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 PM
First single from Opeth's new album, will cause a divide in fans I would suggest.

http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/2...ingle-Released
Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Cannot believe I missed this band, 10 years late but this is some seriously good prog/psych/tribal/space death metal.