Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Mastodon released a youtube video that plays the whole new album with a visualizer for each song. Not what I expected but it's growing on me with each listen.

http://www.mastodonrocks.com/
Old 09-27-2011, 06:01 PM
New Mastodon album "The Hunter"

I just got my hands on the brand new Mastodon album called "The Hunter." It is awesome, I honestly have no complaints about it. I strongly recommend all who love metal to listen to this album.

Check out the video for the new song "Curl of the Burl" too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3LLX9ThXjI&ob=av3n
Old 09-30-2011, 02:25 AM
I saw Mastodon live twice yet i never got hooked. I guess stoner metal ain't my thing. A lot of my friends do like them but i'm too old school i guess.

My iTunes is stuck on a 54th repeat of Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down
Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 AM
I listened to Powerman 5000's new cover album Copies, Clones and Replicants. It's probably the best thing they've done in ten years. A fairly odd mix of song choices, but the only one I really don't like is David Bowie's Space Oddity, mostly because I hate that song.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
I saw Mastodon live twice yet i never got hooked. I guess stoner metal ain't my thing. A lot of my friends do like them but i'm too old school i guess.

My iTunes is stuck on a 54th repeat of Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down
Massive fan of stoner rock/metal/doom, never thought Mastodon fit the label. I do also love ST, Institutionalized fuckin rocks. But when it comes to teenage agnst:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GozbMoAkEqc

Last edited by hrdude; 10-12-2011 at 03:29 AM..
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 AM
We have an annual metal/rock festival which in the past delivered. Last year High on Fire, Kylesa, Monster Magnet, QOTSA, Slayer, Iron Maiden rocked amongst others. This year though:

Happy with Mastodon, SOAD, Hell Yeah and Gojira. Apart from that it's pretty average.

Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
We have an annual metal/rock festival which in the past delivered. Last year High on Fire, Kylesa, Monster Magnet, QOTSA, Slayer, Iron Maiden rocked amongst others. This year though:

Happy with Mastodon, SOAD, Hell Yeah and Gojira. Apart from that it's pretty average.

Thoughts?
That is one... odd line up. The Sisters of Mercy sharing the stage with Limp Bizket, Dragonforce, Devin Townsend, and Black Label Society???

Also, you'd think bands like Dragonforce and especially Black Label Society would have higher billing. I wouldn't mind seeing some, but not all, of those bands.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
It's a good line-up but i'm not sure about the order ( according to font size )

Hole's last single was Celebrity Skin ( like 10 years ago )
Mastodon and Hatebreed should be higher.
Biohazard is stil alive ?!!!
Not a fan of Dragonforce but they have their fanbase.
Fuck Limp Bizkit!
Meshuggah got no love.

then again they had me at SOAD

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 10-12-2011 at 05:46 PM..
Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Hopefully a few of those bands come and do some side shows in New Zealand.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:46 PM

So...

I take back what I said about giving up on Iced Earth. The new album is fucking amazing. Stu Block is a freaking dead ringer for Matt Barlow. If you didn't know any better, you would assume it was actually Barlow on vocals. Hell, there were even e few moments were he sounded like Ripper Owens as well (though his high pitch scream is a little more girly than Ripper's).

This is a roaring return to form, sounding much more like Something Wicked This Way Comes era Iced Earth, mercifully leaving behind the garbage that was their previous two albums. I'd say this is easily the second best IE album ever, right behind The Glorious Burden. And, in my opinion, if Ripper was still on vocals, this would be their best album. But I'm biased like that.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Top Ten Metal Albums for 2011.

Yob – Atma
Elder – Dead Roots Stirring
Mastodon – The Hunter
Sigiriya – Return To Earth
Rwake – Rest
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light I
Tombs - Path Of Totality
Lo Pan – Salvador
Megadeth - Th1rt3en
Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Oh, man. I just found out Roy Khan quit Kamelot due to some kind of health reason. I'm so fucking bummed right now.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm having a hard time making a top ten, because, apparently, a lot of music I discovered in 2011 actually came out in 2010. Plus, there are a few albums I liked, but don't want to put on a top ten simply by default (IE: Megadeth, Sheepers, Anthrax, etc.), so I'll just do a top five.

1. Iced Earth - Dystopia
2. Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints
3. Nightwish - Imaginarium*
4. Anvil - Juggernaut of Justice
5. Evergrey - Glorious Collision

*Officially released in Europe, so I'm counting it.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Some stuff I liked from this year:

Disma - Towards the Megalith
Bastard Priest - Ghouls of the Endless Night
Maim - Deceased to Exist
Blut aus Nord - 777 - Sect(s) (I haven't given The Desanctification a listen yet)
Baring Teeth - Atrophy
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
Septic Flesh - The Great Mass
Thy Catafalque - Rengeteg

I love Mastodon, but I was pretty disappointed by The Hunter.

Last edited by one_crow_sorrow; 01-02-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_crow_sorrow View Post
Some stuff I liked from this year:
Blut aus Nord - 777 - Sect(s) (I haven't given The Desanctification a listen yet)

I love Mastodon, but I was pretty disappointed by The Hunter.
Forgot BAS, also haven't got The Desanctification yet but Sect(s) is worthy of a top 10.

The Hunter ain't Leviathan but I'm still happy with it.

Last edited by hrdude; 01-03-2012 at 12:20 AM..
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Revisiting the Bathory catalogue which I haven't listened to for years. The first five albums are required listening for Black/Viking metal and the progression between the genres.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Back on this thread again after a long while...

I recently started listening to Soilwork. I don't know if they have been mentioned on this thread before, and I'm too lazy to search through the 50+ replies.

The Panic Broadcast kicks ass!! I normally hate screaming/growling vocals, but when Bjorn Strid actually sings those choruses, his voice turns melodic as all hell... it just floors me! I don't want to sound like a gushing fanboy, but this band has melody to spare...

As an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRd5OJ2p3pw&ob=av3e

What does everyone else think? I was wondering if it was worth it to check out their entire discography, since from what I have read they have changed quite a bit musically between albums...
Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Marilyn Manson, Four Year Strong, A Day To Remember, and Trivium are the only bands I would pay to see on that list. Slipknot and SOAD are okay, but not worth laying the cash down for, IMO.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
Back on this thread again after a long while...

I recently started listening to Soilwork. I don't know if they have been mentioned on this thread before, and I'm too lazy to search through the 50+ replies.

The Panic Broadcast kicks ass!! I normally hate screaming/growling vocals, but when Bjorn Strid actually sings those choruses, his voice turns melodic as all hell... it just floors me! I don't want to sound like a gushing fanboy, but this band has melody to spare...

As an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRd5OJ2p3pw&ob=av3e

What does everyone else think? I was wondering if it was worth it to check out their entire discography, since from what I have read they have changed quite a bit musically between albums...
I'm in the same boat. I love newer Soilwork, the older albums, not so much. For me, they started getting really good with Natural Born Chaos. If you like that sound, also try Figure Number Five, Stabbing the Drama and Sworn to a Great Divide. Steelbath Suicide, The Chainheart Machine and A Predator's Portrait are way too heavy and frantic for my tastes.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Here's another band I was curious to check out:

Ghost. Just going by the look I pegged these guys as a gimmick, and they probably are. After reading up on them and how they're supposedly part of a Satanic sect and all that nonsense... well, I had the same reaction I have with every other so called "Satanic" band: what a bunch of ass clowns.

But then I listened to them, and I was totally expecting some half-assed black metal band with growling/guttural vocals, and instead I get catchy-as-all-hell 70s style psych rock.

I'm almost ashamed to admit, these guys sound good, even if the whole cultish image is ridiculous. Not sure what to make of it. Any thoughts?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:29 AM
I like a few of their songs. Their cover of Here Comes the Sun is pretty good. I prefer the vocalist's other band, Repugnant, overall.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
Here's another band I was curious to check out:

Ghost. Just going by the look I pegged these guys as a gimmick, and they probably are. After reading up on them and how they're supposedly part of a Satanic sect and all that nonsense... well, I had the same reaction I have with every other so called "Satanic" band: what a bunch of ass clowns.

But then I listened to them, and I was totally expecting some half-assed black metal band with growling/guttural vocals, and instead I get catchy-as-all-hell 70s style psych rock.

I'm almost ashamed to admit, these guys sound good, even if the whole cultish image is ridiculous. Not sure what to make of it. Any thoughts?
Theres's a BOC vibe going for sure.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Mummy View Post
I adore Ghost. Opus Eponymous would be near the top of my "Best of 2011" list. It's a potent blend of Mercyful Fate and Blue Oyster Cult. The Satanic gimmick doesn't bother me. Theatrical "shock rock" has its place. I like to think of them as a modern day Kiss.

PS-I'm currently listening to Autopsy's Macabre Eternal. Badass.
If you like Ghost check out these guys. Similar occult horror themes going on although I'd substitute Mercyful Fate with Electric Wizard.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:51 AM
I'm digging the new Goatwhore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybKifd3J0NI
Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 AM
And for you sludge fiends

I'm seeing Black Cobra next month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qnswhe4X54
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Looking forward to this.

Quote:
World-renowned hard rock band High on Fire will release its new studio album De Vermis Mysteriis on April 3 via eOne Music. Recorded in Salem, Massachusetts’ GodCity Studios with producer and Converge guitarist Kurt Ballou, the 10 song effort — touted as “direct, eye-opening and powerfully supernatural” — is the band’s sixth studio recording and the follow up to 2010′s Snakes for the Divine.

De Vermis Mysteriis (or “Mysteries of the Worm”) takes its title from a fictional grimoire created by Psycho author Robert Bloch and incorporated by H. P. Lovecraft into the lore of the Cthulhu Mythos (Lovecraft mentioned De Vermis Mysteriis as one of the books that “repeat the most hellish secrets learnt by early man”). The album carries a deeply mystical undercurrent, incorporating fantastical themes and lyrics detailing, among other things, time travel, a serum called liao that is made out of a black lotus and “a Jesus twin who can see the past through his ancestors’ eyes.” And that’s just scratching the surface!

Musically, De Vermis Mysteriis is absolutely explosive, showcasing the California power trio’s thundering roar and expanded harmonic and rhythmic palettes while the songs move confidently through multiple riffs and movements. High on Fire construct tough, burly stoner metal that is at once devastatingly epic and mercilessly metallic as superstar guitarist Matt Pike‘s sizzling ax and avenging-angel riffs fuse with Des Kensel‘s double-kick-drum onslaught and Jeff Matz‘s concrete crushing, Burton-esque bass guitar. Over the course of forty-five minutes, High on Fire have created an amalgamation of fantastical lyrical ideas and brute force musicianship anchored in an endlessly captivating, punkishly frantic sound. Simply put, the band generates awesome on demand and has a virtual chokehold on monolithic-sounding, masterfully crafted epic music. High on Fire is a savage bull in the china shop of modern metal.

When asked for comment on De Vermis Mysteriis, Pike somewhat cryptically replied, “Prepare for your dark journey.”
Old 02-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Any fans of instrumental metal on here? For example, Animals as Leaders is a great instrumental metal band that is able to fuse some different genres, (such as jazz) odd time signatures, focused melodies, and nasty guitar work into their repertoire. I highly recommend their new release "Weightless" as well as their previous self-titled album to everyone on here.

I am also a fan of Soilwork and Mastodon like some of you on here. Mastodon's the Hunter is currently my favorite release by the band. The same goes for Soilwork's The Panic Broadcast. Those two bands continue to refine their skills and increase the power and resonance of their melodies with each new release.

I usually like metal when the amount of singing and melody outweighs the amount of screaming in a song.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:19 AM
What albums are you hanging our for:

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
Iron Maiden - En Vivo!
Killing Joke - MMXII
Shadows Fall - Fire From The Sky
Melvins - Freak Puke
St Vitus - Lillie: F-65
Ufomammut - Oro: Opus Primum
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Ufomammut - Oro: Opus Primum
This and Meshuggah's Koloss.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Any Maiden is good Maiden and "The final Frontier" was awsome, so I´m definitely going to pick up "En Vivo". Bummer that "Isle of Avalon" isn´t on there though, otherwise bring it on!

A new Saint Vitus album would have me masturbating on repeat but I´m one of those guys who prefer Scott Reader by a very long shot to Wino. So I´m kinda indifferent to this.

Always lending an ear to a new Melvins record, so this won´t be an exeption.

Recent plays:

Neurosis - Given to the Rising 10/10 Man I love this band and this is properbly my new favorite album by them. Love how they just get more depressive, brutal and refined over the years.

Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh 7/10 I´ve only approached this one recently, needs time to grow but there´s a lot of kick-ass parts.

Fates Warning - Disconnected 8/10. I like this album a lot and it carries some emotional weight for me ever since I discovered it last year. Good stuff

Melvins - Lysol 8/10
Earth - Thrones and Dominions 8/10
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast 10/10
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehydrator View Post

Recent plays:

Neurosis - Given to the Rising 10/10 Man I love this band and this is properbly my new favorite album by them. Love how they just get more depressive, brutal and refined over the years.
I have the riff from Given to the Rising as my ring tone.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Beside Badbird , not a lot of ppl seem to dig the latest Nightwish ( Imaginaerium)

I discovered Nightwish on the ONCE cd so i never really masturbated to Tarja's voice . Yes she was awesome ( i did listen to older cds when i discovered the band )... and DPP was recorded with Tarja in mind so i understand that Annette's voice might not be a 100% fit.

IMO Dark Passion Play was a good cd on its own but the fanbase had a backlash to the singer switch ... some live videos on Youtube actually show Annette being booed off stage on the DPP tour. I dunno ... always thought Marco was the driving force behind the group.

And to be honest , once a singer is in place , its hard to replace it ... beside Exodus , Iron Maiden ( yes Bruce was the 2nd singer , he appeared on Piece of Mind the 3rd album) and AC/DC its pretty hard to replace the voice of your group ( ask Motley Crue )

Well Imaginaerium was crafted around Annette's voice and it shows. Nightwish delivered IMO.

Any thoughts ?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehydrator View Post
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh 7/10 I´ve only approached this one recently, needs time to grow but there´s a lot of kick-ass parts.
I was a big fan of Morbid Angel in the "Blessed are the Sick-Covenant-Domination" era ... then they switched singer ( see Nightwish post above) and i gave up on them. I know David Vincent is back now but i dont give a crap anymore :s

Most over-budgeted death metal video of all time : Morbid Angel-God of Emptiness .... they did sell 500k copies of the cd tho and for a death metal band , that's pretty awesome !

Well Flemming Rasmussen did engineer the COVENANT album and when your resume includes some lame-ass albums from a sucky group called Metallica (Ride The Lightning - Master of Puppets - And Justice For All ) , it's hard to be recognized.

Edit : Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine video surely costed more to produce but it's got 17M view on youtube and prolly one of the best looking metal video out of all time ( The Agonist - Thank You Pain is mostly the under-budgeted winner)

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 04-02-2012 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Video budget
Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Speaking of The Agonist ... still waiting for the new cd but there's a 2 song EP out.

The Agonist - The Escape

I get it that the singer is freaking hawt and that i fapped a couple of time thinking about her but still , the band got serious musical skills. Pretty face come and go , talent is forever.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Well Imaginaerium was crafted around Annette's voice and it shows. Nightwish delivered IMO.

Any thoughts ?
I, obviously, agree that it is a really good CD. Part of me will never get over Tarja, but they clearly wrote the album based on Annette's skill set this time around. She isn't getting crushed by the music anymore and it seems to fit her much better.

Nightwish continues to be, far and away, lightyears beyond the talent of their peers.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Althought Storytime is a pretty good 1st single and the video featuring Annette in an evil Snow White costume is pretty sick ( Snow Black ? ) .... i have to admit that I WANT MY TEARS BACK is prolly my favorite track so far.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Damn, havnen't posted in this thread in ages, but I'm happy to say that High On Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis is the balliest, most ferocious kick your ass than fuck your girlfriend album I've heard so far this year. If the album were a fist, it would punch you in the fucking face. Great Satan it's fucking heavy. I firimly believed that Snakes For The Devine was a great album musically, but it was produced by a total fucktard who should be legally prohibited from being anywhere near a metal band that sucked the life out of the songs. Totally different story here. Myself, I'm not a Converge fan, but Kurt Ballou is OK in my book. Wall of sound dosen't even begin to desribe the sound on De Vermis Mysteriis. The band sounds like they want to break their insturments. Matt Pike sounds ready to lead a pack of savages to war, and you'll want to join in on said war when listening to this. Without a shirt, of coruse.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:10 AM
Out of curiosity, how do people feel about this man?

Buckethead

I know that technically he's not a metal guitarist, but then again you can't really pin him down into one genre... and since he does shred like a bastard, I didn't know where else to mention him.

Me, I love listening to his stuff, though it can be challenging at times, since most of his songs are really just him wailing away on a guitar, but when he actually structures the tunes, some of them sound incredible, like this little number dedicated to Lebron James:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_iFxfCh2B8

The guy is just insanely talented and diverse in my opinion... he can go from master shredding to laidback acoustics; I play Electric Tears, Colma or Electric Sea whenever I feel like reading a book or taking a nap; it's really soothing stuff.

Any opinions?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 AM
Saw Black Cobra last night. Fuck they were heavy, one of the best live acts I've seen for a while.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Mon'onc Serge - Signe ses boules ( Sign her tits )

I usually don't post french metal but this is so crazy haha .... like Motorhead meets country in a Motley Crue video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgarz...endscreen&NR=1