Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Jeez, this thread just keeps going and going.

Kamelot's The Black Halo is awesome. I just wish more stores would carry some of their other albums so I don't have to deal with online crap.

And for you guys who like Strapping Young Lad - you should check out Bile. Bile is the only band I can think of that is similar to the SYL style of crazy, over the top, super metal, though Bile has a more industrial flavor. www.bilestyle.com I saw them live with KMFDM and they played killer live.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
Details! I'm really looking forward to this one.

Well, it's good, but far from their best. It's better than Into the Lungs of Hell but nowhere near as good as Bloody Blasphemy, The Grand Grimoire, or Lair of the White Worm.

My problem with is it that the riffs are slightly more mellowed out and it almost sounds like they're approaching a more standard melodic death sound, which I don't care too much for. I love their melodic songs in the past (Soul Capture 1562 from Bloody Blasphemy is just about my favorite song ever) and they've always been a rather melodic band. It just sounds a bit more typical of other bands' sounds here. Luckily the songs ARE really well written. And it isn't completely modern gothenburg crap. The vocals are still excellent as ever. I love Henri's extreme and evil yet still understandable delivery. The riffs sound somehow less menacing than before though.

The album has a great collection of songs and I'm sure most people will love it. I love it myself, just not as much as most of their other output.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badbird
Jeez, this thread just keeps going and going.

Kamelot's The Black Halo is awesome. I just wish more stores would carry some of their other albums so I don't have to deal with online crap.

And for you guys who like Strapping Young Lad - you should check out Bile. Bile is the only band I can think of that is similar to the SYL style of crazy, over the top, super metal, though Bile has a more industrial flavor. www.bilestyle.com I saw them live with KMFDM and they played killer live.
I really didn't think Kamelot's other albums were worth the time to buy anywhere. I picked up The Black Halo at the CD store and then when I couldn't find any others, I downloaded them, and then deleted them off my hard drive.
And yes, Bile is pretty good. "I Reject!"
Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 PM

Everyone should buy this CD RIGHT NOW. It's fucking awesome. Blind Guardian have firmly planted their position as one of the best power metal bands around.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dfd3657

Everyone should buy this CD RIGHT NOW. It's fucking awesome. Blind Guardian have firmly planted their position as one of the best power metal bands around.
I'm listening to it right now. So far it doesn't sound as bombastic as A Night at the Opera. Fly took time to grow on me. At first I thought it was okay, but then I paid attention to the lyrics and realized what it was about and it took on a whole new meening.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Quote:

You're right. I'm not even a big fan of power metal, but this is good stuff.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 AM
playlist

Nocturnus - Threshold 4/5
Sodom - Get What You Deserve 3.5/5
Sodom - Masquerade In Blood 5/5
Overkill - From the Underground and Below 3.5/5
God Dethroned - The Toxic Touch 4/5
God Dethroned - The Grand Grimoire 5/5
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh 4.5/5
Artillery - B.A.C.K. 4/5
Megadeth - The System Has Failed 4.5/5
Death SS - The Story of... 2.5/5
Blind Guardian - A Twist In the Myth 4.5/5
Old 09-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Re: playlist

Quote:
Originally posted by thebloodfeaster
The System Has Failed 4.5/5
I like this album a lot. IMO, it's got some filler and it's no Peace Sells or RIP, but it's a solid Megadeth record.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Upon two listens

A Night at the Opera > A Twist in the Myth

I could have really done without that interview at the end. It's a good CD, just didn't blow me away like I expected Blind Guardian to.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badbird
Upon two listens

A Night at the Opera > A Twist in the Myth

I could have really done without that interview at the end. It's a good CD, just didn't blow me away like I expected Blind Guardian to.
From what I can tell, most Blind Guardian fans believe it's the other way around. I think that ATITM is much better than ANATO. You could hardly hear the guitars half the time in Opera. But I still love it.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 PM
THRASHAMANIA!!! playlist:

Slayer - Reign in Blood 10/10
Metallica - ... And Justice For All 10/10
Megadeth - Peace Sells But Who's Buying 10/10
Rust In Peace 10/10
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill 10/10
Exodus - Bounded By Blood 10/10
Exodus - Fabulos Disaster 9/10
OVERKILL!!! (\m/) - Under the Influence 9/10 (Bobby Blitz is the fucking MAN!)
Sodom - Agent Orange 10/10
Sodom - M-16 9/10
Testament - The Legacy 9/10
Testament - Practice What You Preach 9/10

THRASH!!!!

Last edited by HannibalGuy; 09-07-2006 at 08:25 PM..
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Oppressor - Agony 4.5/5
Megadeth - Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? 5/5
Gorgoroth - Ad Majorem Satanhas Gloriam 5/5
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace 4/5
Dark Funeral - Attera Totus Sanctus 4/5 (this album's better than what i've heard from them before)
Amon Amarth - With Oden At Our Side 2.5/5
Tsathoggua - Trans Cunt Whip 3.5/5
October 31 - Visions of the End 3.5/5
Incantation - Diabolical Conquest 4.5/5
Unleashed - And the Laughter Has Died 4/5
Saxon - Lionheart 4/5
Old 09-09-2006, 11:52 AM

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cover on this EP is abso-fucking-lutely glorious.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:20 AM
Gogamog - I Will Be There 1/5
Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror 4.5/5
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black 5/5
King Diamond - Voodoo 5/5
Root - Hell Symphony 5/5
HORSE the Band - Pizza 1.5/5 (the ninja turtle tune is amusing like dfd said; as for the rest of the album...)
Killers - New, Live, and Rare 2.5/5
Grave - Into the Grave 3.5/5
Death - Spiritual Healing 4/5
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption 5/5
Sinister - Cross the Styx 4/5
Old 09-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Quote:

HORSE the Band - Pizza 1.5/5 (the ninja turtle tune is amusing like dfd said; as for the rest of the album...)

I love it. Pizza Nif is my favorite.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I listened to a shit load of Kreator today. They are just a band I don't get all the hype about along with Celtic Frost. They have some fun songs, but a lot of them just meld together for me and I'd take the big four of thrash over them any day. Pleasure To Kill and Coma Of Souls are probably the two albums I dig a little, but there is some filler on both. Even bands like Exodus, Death Angel, Testament, Sodom, and Annihilator I'd take over them for thrash. They are still better than my least favorite thrash band, Overkill.

The Horse The Band EP is just harmless fun. Good way to kill 20 minutes. I'm pretty psyched for the next album just too see if they keep progressing and getting more talented. The jump in talent from the fun but awkwardly played R. Bolax to the technically great Mechanical Hand is just astounding to me.

New Maiden is good, but I've slowly been growing out of Maiden. I can't seem to worship them as much as I did a few years ago. Their songs just don't really interest me as much anymore.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I listened to a shit load of Kreator today. They are just a band I don't get all the hype about along with Celtic Frost. They have some fun songs, but a lot of them just meld together for me and I'd take the big four of thrash over them any day. Pleasure To Kill and Coma Of Souls are probably the two albums I dig a little, but there is some filler on both. Even bands like Exodus, Death Angel, Testament, Sodom, and Annihilator I'd take over them for thrash. They are still better than my least favorite thrash band, Overkill.

The Horse The Band EP is just harmless fun. Good way to kill 20 minutes. I'm pretty psyched for the next album just too see if they keep progressing and getting more talented. The jump in talent from the fun but awkwardly played R. Bolax to the technically great Mechanical Hand is just astounding to me.

New Maiden is good, but I've slowly been growing out of Maiden. I can't seem to worship them as much as I did a few years ago. Their songs just don't really interest me as much anymore.
Yeah. I just listened to R Borlax again recently, and it made me realize how much better they got between those two albums.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Quote:

Those are all great thrash bands you listed, but I myself love Kreator. And Overkill is your least favorite? Once again, IMO, Overkill are thrash machines. Bobby Blitz is awesome.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Quote:

I love it. Pizza Nif is my favorite.
Don't be too sad there

I actually seem to be the one in the minority here. Everybody over at KerrazyTorrents is going nuts over it. Just doesn't work for me.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Quote:

Kreator are pretty good, but I agree that they are overrated. Out of the big 3 german thrash bands (Sodom, Destruction, Kreator), they are at the bottom in my book. Sodom is my favorite thrash band and third favorite band period.

Overkill I love as well. Is it the vocals that turn you off from them? While I like them, I readily admit they're not to everybody's taste.

Celtic Frost... I LOVE Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion. Into the Pandemonium is meh, and after that they completely fell apart. I do like their new album though. Very doomy and a good direction for them.

Quote:

I didn't like it too much at first, but after more listens it grew on me and I like it quite a bit. It's a very "chill" album for them though.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Overkill just are too over the top for me. I'd put them up their with King Diamond, Judas Priest, Cannibal Corpse, Most Power Metal, Six Feet Under, and Napalm Death for having vocals that are just too over the top ridiculous for me to enjoy.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes 4/5
Jon Oliva's Pain - Maniacal Renderings 2.5/5 (would've been higher, but a few songs drastically lowered the rating of the entire album for me)
Aborym - Generator 4/5
Nocturnus - The Key 4.5/5
Covenant - Nexus Polaris 4.5/5
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas 4.5/5
My Dying Bride - A Line of Deathless Kings 4/5
The Kovenant - S.E.T.I. 4.5/5
Megadeth - Rust In Peace (remastered) 2.5/5 (the remastering job seriously fucked up this album, thank god I have the original cd)
Incantation - Primordial Domination 4/5
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
playlist

Root - The Temple In the Underworld 5/5
Venom - Black Metal 5/5
Rotting Christ - Passage to Arcturo 4/5
Rotting Christ - Thy Might Contract 4.5/5
Sarcofago - I.N.R.I. 4/5
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam 4.5/5
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider 5/5
Gorgoroth - Twilight of the Idols 5/5
Nargaroth - Prosatanica Shooting Angels 3/5
Mayhem - Deathcrush 4/5
Old 09-13-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Sarcofago - I.N.R.I. 4/5
YES! Sarcofago rule.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:00 AM
playlist

Cradle of Filth - Thornography 3.5/5
Covenant - In Times Before the Light 3.5/5
Borknagar - The Archaic Course 3.5/5
Saxon - Denim and Leather 4.5/5
Bathory - Bathory 5/5
Bal-sagoth - The Cthonic Chronicles 5/5
Rotting Christ - Triarchy of Lost Lovers 4/5
Carnivore - Carnivore 3.5/5
Torture Killer - Swarm 3/5
Master - Master 3/5
Old 09-17-2006, 06:03 AM
playlist

Burzum/Gorgoroth - Split bootleg 1993 4/5
Diabolos - The Three Mothers 2/5
The Rocking Dildos - Horny Hit Parade 3/5
Gaahlskagg - Erotic Funeral 2.5/5
Onkel Tom Angelripper - Ein Troepfchen Voller Glueck 4/5
Bal-Sagoth - A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria 5/5
Impaled Nazarene - Nihil 4.5/5
Rebel Meets Rebel - Rebel Meets Rebel 4.5/5 (the oldschool outlaw country of David Allen Coe meets the southern metal of Dimebag and bro)
Dream Theater - Octavarium 3/5
Malevolent Creation - Warkult 3.5/5
Old 09-17-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Cradle of Filth - Thornography 3.5/5
I want to hear this. Their last one was so-so .
Old 09-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Don't laugh, but the last CD I bought was Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar. I can only listen to half of it, but goddamn it, there are some cool songs on that record. "Tourniquet" and "Angel With the Scabbed Wings" are killer.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Don't laugh, but the last CD I bought was Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar. I can only listen to half of it, but goddamn it, there are some cool songs on that record. "Tourniquet" and "Angel With the Scabbed Wings" are killer.
No laughing here, Antichrist Superstar is an awesome record. Theres some killer shit on there. Irresponsable Hate Anthem, Beautiful People (cliche but damn does it rock), Man That You Fear, ect...
Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 AM
It's been a long time since I heard that album. I don't really like to hear individual tracks from it; but taking in the album as a whole is a very cool experience.

I really like Mechanical Animals more though. That was quite simply a top-notch rock album.

After that he became a victim of his own cliches IMO.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Quote:
It's been a long time since I heard that album. I don't really like to hear individual tracks from it; but taking in the album as a whole is a very cool experience.

I really like Mechanical Animals more though. That was quite simply a top-notch rock album.

After that he became a victim of his own cliches IMO.
In some ways, I agree. Holy Wood had some good stuff on it, and you could tell he was still "suffering" (idk if id use that word) from being blamed for the school shootings.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:58 AM
playlist

Rotting Christ - Sanctus Diavolos 5/5
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon 5/5
Holymarsh - In the Holy Marsh 3.5/5
Flotsam & Jetsam - Dreams of Death 3.5/5
David Allen Coe - Texas Moon 3/5
Sarcofago - The Laws of Scourge 3.5/5
Mercyful Fate - 9 5/5
November's Doom - Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers 4.5/5
Mayhem - Chimera 4/5
Arcturus - Disguised Masters 4/5
Old Man's Child - Revelation 666 (The Curse of Damnation) 3.5/5
God Dethroned - The Toxic Touch 4/5
Old 09-21-2006, 08:30 PM
playlist

Koguryo Band - Jusaek Manchan 4.5/5
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven 3.5/5
K.M.R. - 1 Jip [m:ir] 3/5
Mayhem - Wolf's Lair Abyss 4/5
Dismember - The God That Never Was 5/5
Celtic Frost - Monotheist 4.5/5
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times 4/5
Sodom - Sodom 5/5
Entombed - To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth 5/5
Therion - Symphony Masses: Ho Drakon Ho Megas 5/5
Old 09-23-2006, 04:34 PM
The new Anata album is amazing. They're a modern day Death. Everyone needs to pick up The Conductor's Departure ASAP.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:38 PM
playlist

Coffins - The Other Side of Blasphemy 4/5
Unleashed - Sworn Allegiance 3/5
Suffocation - Suffocation 4.5/5
Sahon - The Feeble Mourning 3/5
Moonshine - Songs of Requiem 4/5
Sodom - Sodom 5/5
Impaled Nazarene - Tol Compt Norz Norz Norz! 5/5
Kvikksolvguttene - Krieg 3.5/5
Mahatma - The Endless Struggle Against Time 3.5/5
Cannibal Corpse - Kill 4/5
Old 09-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Quote:
The new Anata album is amazing. They're a modern day Death. Everyone needs to pick up The Conductor's Departure ASAP.
I've heard Dreams of Death and Dismay, but that's it by this band. I thought it was ok, but nothing special. I'll have to give the new one a listen. It has a much higher review rating at metal-archives than DoDaD does.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Also check out Under a Stone With No Inscription. It's awesome melo-tech-death metal (I don't know what else to call it).
Old 09-27-2006, 07:39 AM
been in a mostly doom mood

Sahg - I 4/5
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone 5/5
Electric Wizard - Electric Wizard 5/5
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics 4.5/5
Candlemass - Candlemass 5/5
Eyehategod - Dopesick 4.5/5
Crowbar - Crowbar 4/5
Electric Wizard - Let Us Prey 4/5
King Diamond - The Puppet Master 5/5
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality 5/5
Old 09-30-2006, 10:34 PM
playlist

Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus 4/5
Down - Down 3.5/5
Bongzilla - Amerijuanican 4/5
Church of Misery - Master of Brutality 5/5
Diabolic - Supreme Evil 4/5
Crowbar - Odd Fellow's Rest 4/5
Obituary - World Demise 4.5/5
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death 4/5
Electric Wizard - We Live 4.5/5
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream 5/5
Rotting Christ - Genesis 5/5
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Just heard 3 new songs from Cradle, and musically, they're fucking slamming. But the vocals seem a bit cracked-out but that could be just me.