Old 07-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac

I heard about this series of comics a while ago from my friend so I finally ordered this Directors Cut of it where it had all the comics put into one and read through it in one sitting cause I just couldn't put it down. It was the best thing i've read in a long. Now what it is, is that it follows the life of Johnny who well, is a homicidal maniac. You basically follow this 17 yr old looking kid on this murdering spree. Its very dark humour to it and quite violent but it's hilarious and a MUST read for anyone.

The writer/artist is Jhonen Vasquez who is also behind the brains of Squee (which is Johnnys neighbour who is about 5) who is absolutely scared of everything, Theres a graphic novel from squee as well. Vasquez is also the mind behind the TV show that I though really didn't get enough play time. Invader ZIM. I loved this show and recomend anyone to check out any of these. There really worth it.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 PM
I LOVE JOHNNY THE HOMICIDAL MANIAC! (sorry for the all caps)
Old 07-29-2006, 03:20 PM
lol its cool. Jhonen is awesome. I got the directors cut thing signed by him at the Toronto Comic Con a last summer. It was awesome.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:56 PM
My friends used to read this so much, I never got into it, but Invader ZIM is one of the most underrated animated shows of all time.

SPACE MEAT!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:33 AM
I really wished they'd bring it back, I've watched the dvd's so much now.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I just the director's cut of JTHM and I love it! I can't wait to buy Squee next.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I love the artwork for JTHM.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Johnny was a great series of comics... I also recommend:

-Squee!
-I Feel Sick

All three by Jhonen Vasquez....

And also I recommend the title "Bear" by UK writer/artist Jamie Smart, phenomenally funny shit, and very similar in mood/tone to that of Vasquez's works
Old 09-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Everybody! Say it with me as I wiggle!! Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! David Hasselhoff can fly!!

JTHM fucking rocks.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:26 AM
Johnny is good stuff. Although I think the longer massacre scenes just kind of drag on and fil up space, ther'es a lot of truly funny stuff to be found, provided you like sick humor. The "Johnny the Suicidal Maniac" variants are my favorites, Vasquez has mentioned that the idea of someone so easily losing interest in suicide has always been funny to him and I'm forced to agree.

SQUEE was funnier though, I wish the series had gone on longer but I supopse there's only so far you can run with that concept. "I laid eggs in your head! Lots of them!"