Old 09-06-2003, 12:36 PM
OH NO! My Penn St. Nittany Lions are getting killed by craptastic Boston College 24-7! And the team BC lost to last week, Wake Forest, is annihilating NC State (much to PackBacker's dismay I'm sure).
Old 09-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Nice game by the Wolf Pack.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Damn, my SDSU Aztecs almost took out #2 Ohio. Oh well, at least we showed what were made of, even with out our star QB.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Michigan is good, real good. I thoroughly enjoyed that spanking and expect Perry to be considered as a Heisman candidate in the next few weeks.

Thankfully we have Louisiana Lafayette next week.

Go Coogs! Beat the Cajuns!!
Old 09-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Munson
Nice game by the Wolf Pack.

PackBacker must be pissed.... I'm going stand back.

Old 09-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Iowa - 56
Buffalo - 7

Meh.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Did anyone see:

SYRACUSE - 49
NORTH CAROLINA - 47

Triple OT!!
Old 09-06-2003, 08:22 PM
The Noles look like they have too much speed for the Terps. The Terps did have a nice drive going before Bruce Perry fumbled. Hopefully the Terps can get something going in the second half.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:38 AM
Sigh. What a shitty day. Missed my first game via radio/tv/or in person in >10 years today. Got called into school on emergency....and my power went out at home effectively causing the VCR not to record the game. Sounds like I didnt miss much. I'm not to the sky is falling point yet, but sounds like our D needs to grow up in the next 6 days or my trip to Columbus next weekend is gonna be a long one.

At least Maryland and unc-ch lost as well
Old 09-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Trying times for PackBacker and Munson. Wake Forest is better than people think, that still doesn't excuse the loss.

Sounds like all the good games were late afternoon and last night, I missed them all.

The Hawks didn't really prove anything in the romp against Buffalo. The Bulls well they are... not good, sorry Delfonics. I'm looking forward to the clash with Arizona State in two weeks at Kinnick. That's when questions will be answered. They better take care of Iowa State next week though, they haven't beaten them since '97.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PapaJupe2k
Trying times for PackBacker and Munson. Wake Forest is better than people think, that still doesn't excuse the loss.

Yes it is.
But there's time for the Terps to turn this into a successful season. It will be all worthwhile when the Terps sweep Philip Rivers.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Quote:

Sounds like all the good games were late afternoon and last night, I missed them all.

The Hawks didn't really prove anything in the romp against Buffalo. The Bulls well they are... not good, sorry Delfonics. I'm looking forward to the clash with Arizona State in two weeks at Kinnick. That's when questions will be answered. They better take care of Iowa State next week though, they haven't beaten them since '97.
We shut you guys out in the 4th, 7-0~
Old 09-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Gonna be in Ann Arbor this Saturday for the Notre Dame game,I can't wait this is a great rivalry and should be one hell of a game as most Michigan vs Notre Dame games are.If Chris Perry can have a game against this steller Irish D like he has in the years first two games then his Heisman shot is for real.I just hope that John Navarre corrects whatever the hell was up with him in the Houston game his accurasy was way off(12-30) his throws were way high,can't have that against the Irish.

My prediction

Michigan 28
Notre Dame 24
Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 AM
I think the score of MI-ND game is going to be much less than that. I'm seeing something more like 13-10 with UM coming out on top barely.

I'd be a lot more confident if it wasn't for Navarre's performance Saturday. Everybody around talks about what a bad rap he gets, but just too often he goes into these streeks where he lapses back into his freshman year. There's no reason for him to get so many balls tip at the line with all of that height he has.

Chris Perry has been nothing short of spectacular and that stable of backs behind is phenomnal. It appears we're going to have some great backs for the next few years.

Getting back to Houston, I think I might be keeping my eye on thier QB, Kolb i think his name was. For a true freshman he showed a lot of poise and flashed some playmaking potential. If he gets a good group of athletes around him I think he could turn out to be very good.

I'm still not sure what to think about Michigan State. They are certainly fun to watch, but their lack of a running game is going to eventually catch up to them, especially once the BIG 10 season starts.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Quote:
They better take care of Iowa State next week though, they haven't beaten them since '97.
Cost them a shot at the National Championship last year.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Quote:

Let's check in with some of my pre-season predictions.
- I predict Oklahoma St. will shock the Big 12 and win the south division and take the championship game. I saw them play against Oklahoma last year and was very impressed. They return their starting qb Josh Fields, rb Tatum Bell, and wr and potential Heisman winner Rashaun Woods. They've got tons of confidence and momentum and have Texas and Kansas State at home.{ Okie St. got humbled by Nebraska, I suppose they could still possibly win the Big 12, but it will be an uphill battle.}

- I predict Eli Manning will disappoint once again and not even be a contender for the Heisman.{His Heisman hopes are over! You can't lose to Memphis and win the Heisman.}

- I predict Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson will break his own "no cussing" policy and let loose with an f-bomb sometime during the course of another dismal season.{Vandy is still bad, but playing a little better than people thought. I don't think he's let one slip yet.}

- I predict Jeff Smoker wont win his starting job back.{He's starting and playing well against soft competition.}

- As I said above, Rashuan Woods will win the Heisman.{He wont. He was a long shot to begin with.}

- I predict Ohio St. will be one of the nation's big disappointments. They used up all the luck they had last year and Clarett's situation will be a distraction.{Clarett is gone for good now and they are just barely getting by again. There luck will run out soon.}

- The MAC conference will again be outstanding! They've got excellent teams such as Northern Illinois, Toledo, Mia Ohio, Marshall, Central Florida. They will shock some of the big boys. Hopefully not Miami and Ben Roethlisberger shocking a certain
Big Ten team on August 30th though. After that, go crazy though! I wish I could see more of this conference.{They've pulled a couple big wins: Northern Ill beat Maryland and Bowling Green beat Purdue.}

- I predict I will not throw furniture across my living room when thing aren't going so well for the Hawks again this year.{No furniture thrown yet.}
Old 09-09-2003, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmain77
Getting back to Houston, I think I might be keeping my eye on thier QB, Kolb i think his name was. For a true freshman he showed a lot of poise and flashed some playmaking potential. If he gets a good group of athletes around him I think he could turn out to be very good.
---------------------------------------------

Speaking of Kevin Kolb, you should have seen the game he had against Rice. He was 17-22 for 246 with 2 TDs and 0 INTs. He also rushed for 2 touchdowns. We did to Rice what Michigan did to us.

Thankfully Kolb will not be seeing another crowd the size of Michigan's. I doubt if you add up the attendance at all of Houston's home games (assuming they don't go on a major win streak, since most Houston fans are fair weather) it won't equal the 107.000+ from last week.

Go Coogs! Beat the Cajuns!!
Old 09-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ripper1888

My prediction

Michigan 28
Notre Dame 24
Notre Dame doesn't have the offense to score 24 points against a team like Michigan. It will be close because they have a prettyo good defense, but not as good as last years.

UM 17
ND 10

Gotta put a plug in for my team...

FSU 30
GTU 20

Close game, but Greg Jones breaks a long on at the end to seal the deal for the Noles!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Holliday

Gotta put a plug in for my team...

FSU 30
GTU 20

Close game, but Greg Jones breaks a long on at the end to seal the deal for the Noles!

Woohoo! Glad to see there's a fellow FSU fan among us. Welcome back Doc, haven't seen you in a while.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:20 AM
Richoshet, how do you think they'll finish the year. I have a hard time believing they'll beat Miami. Plus they have gotten into a habit of losing one game in the ACC. I just want them to beat NC State this year. They have gotten really cocky. Maybe the whiiping they took at the hands of Wake will bring them down to earth.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Quote:

FSU 30
GTU 20

I don't think this game will be nearly this close. After getting a chance to watch FSU, I believe they are back to what they were several years ago. They have their team speed back which is what they really were lacking the last two years. I'm predicting a Florida sweep for FSU this year. As far as the GT game goes, I'll say:
FSU 45
GT 10
Old 09-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Munson
I don't think this game will be nearly this close. After getting a chance to watch FSU, I believe they are back to what they were several years ago. They have their team speed back which is what they really were lacking the last two years. I'm predicting a Florida sweep for FSU this year. As far as the GT game goes, I'll say:
FSU 45
GT 10
That's pretty bold, stating a Florida sweep. I know they'll those Croc's from Gainsville, but the Hurricanes are a totally different story. I'm not going to go crazy until they beat a good team. UNC and Maryland both have issues they need to fix and until they do, they will be mid level ACC teams. GT is fresh off a big win at home and will have pelnty of confidnece. Not to mention their freshman QB is pretty damn elusive and could cause more problems running the ball then throwing the ball.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Richoshet, how do you think they'll finish the year. I have a hard time believing they'll beat Miami. Plus they have gotten into a habit of losing one game in the ACC. I just want them to beat NC State this year. They have gotten really cocky. Maybe the whiiping they took at the hands of Wake will bring them down to earth.

I'm actually VERY pleased so far this year. Two of the biggest ACC rivals, Maryland and NC State, have already tarnished their records. My main concern for the rest of the season is the Florida tour. I don't fear UF as much as most do, I don't think they're much better than last year (except of course that they have Chirs Leak. As for Miami, I think we have an even better chance this year than last, and we came THIS close to winning last year. To me, the Canes seem to be MUCH weaker than the invincible Canes of the last two seasons. I think Coker is a little cocky and gets a little sloppy in coaching during the games, plays not executing well and such. The strongest point for FSU, I think, is Rix. I honestly think this guy is the most underrated QB in college football today, he can take us to the championship. We couldn't have asked for a better start to the season, now I just hope we don't screw it up.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Rix is the reason I am scared. I bleive the defense can hold up an improve as the year goes on. Like you, I'm not afraid of Florida, NC State, or the rest of the ACC. That is if Rix stays on his game. If he starts looking at only one reciever like he has in the past, and if he starts running first passing second, the Noles will fall. We also need to get all of our running backs healthy. The combination of Jones, Booker and Washington are as good as any in college.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Quote:
but the Hurricanes are a totally different story.
I don't think Miami is all that this year. Miami played some real lousy games last year and I don't think this team is really any better this year. Predicting a Florida sweep really isn't that bold. FSU destroyed Florida last year and was a missed FG away from beating Miami. FSU is the most improved team out of the three Florida schools. Teams are going to have a real hard time scoring on them.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:16 PM
The one thing I would like to see more of is pressure on the opposing QB's. They have gotten better, but it's still not where it was in the days of Wadsworth and Boulware, or even Reinard Wilson. The Front needs to be more consistent with getting that push up front and force the QB to throw the ball. That's how they got all those interceptions in the 90's. QB's gettting ansy in the pocket, throwing the ball eratically.

Munson and RS, you are starting to make me a believer. That out of conference schedule is as tough as it gets though. Hard to go undefeated when you have to play Colorado, Notre Dame, Miami, and Florida. If they finish with only one loss, they should still play for the national title with teams like that on their resume.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Doc, I'll just say this about the FSU defense. They only gave up 3 points in two games. It doesn't matter who they played that's still impressive. North Carolina put up 47 points against Syracuse. Syracuse isn't that great but that does show that Carolina is capable of putting up points. Despite Maryland's bad start, they are anything from a pushover and will end up in the top 20 by the end of the year.

As far as the FSU schedule goes it is rather brutal. It was ranked as the second toughest schedule in the nation. I do think it looks a little tougher on paper than it's actually going to be though. Colorado visits FSU, plus I believe Colorado has some issues that will be exposed once they get to the beef of their schedule. Miami will be a tough game but they also visit FSU. The Noles travel to South Bend but I don't think the Irish are going to be much this year. This game plus the Colorado game both look tougher on paper than they actually will be IMO. Plus there's going to be the revenge factor in FSU's favor vs. ND. The Noles close out the regular season @ Florida. I'm not a beleiver in the Gators just yet. I think they are really a year away from really beating the big boys.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Hey bmain- get ready for your Wolverines to go down to my Irish today! I'm hoping ND is engergized from their OT win last week and sends everyone home from the Big House crying!

I'm also hoping that Penn State pulls the upset over nebraska, but after the abysmal performance at home vs. BC last week, I'm very uncertain that it's gonna happen...
Old 09-13-2003, 09:54 AM
That a'boy Benny, let's get to what REALLY matters here and get away from this ACC nonsense. Sorry Doc, Munson, and RicShaw. I gotta disagree with you on both counts though here. This is the only time all year I will actually be rooting for Michigan. Ooohhh, I feel like I should go take a shower, this makes my skin crawl. The Wolverines are the lesser of two evils in this game.

Unless JoePa made some major adjustments this week, I don't see how this young offensive line is going to protect Zach Mills against this swarming black shirt defense of Nebraska. I'm by no means a Nebraska fan (shudders), but I gotta tell it like it is, Penn St. goes down.

As for Ohio St/NC St, I don't know they both struggled last week. Ohio St. will probably grind out another close win with literally no offense.

Of course the Hawkeyes win big over the Cyclones and end this five year nonsense.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Hmmmm, call me crazy.... but I don't see an inch of contest in the Michigan vs Notre Dame game. I think Big Blue is going to give the Irish a good ol' thrashing. We'll see though....
Old 09-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RicochetShaw
I'm surprised Texas is number 7, that team is a joke!

I'd like to re-post what I said a few months ago, they're losing 28-14 to unranked Arkansas, at home!!!
Old 09-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Ohio St. escapes again . I want Michigan to bury Notre Dame and be undfeated when they come to Kinnick in 3 weeks. Go Blue! The Cy-Hawk trophy is back where it belongs. This Hawk defense and special teams is scary! Best special teams in the country... easily! What are the Wolverines going to do when they face a real defense? We'll find out.

Last edited by PapaJupe2k; 09-13-2003 at 06:53 PM..
Old 09-13-2003, 04:35 PM
Damn Irish suck today! And Ohio State, god can't they just LOSE for once! They're like Miami, they never lose, both schools are driving me nuts right now!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:56 PM
What the hell is wrong with NC State two QB sneaks from the five yard line what the fuck were they thinking? I don't think they were and that bullshit interception call what are the officials blind,they should have given NC State that last td to even things out.Sooner or later Ohio States luck is going to run cause thats what they are the luckiest team in College Football once the Big Ten schedule stars I get the feeling the Buckeyes are going to get a reality check.

Now to the MICHIGAN game

#7MICHIGAN 38
#14Notre Dame 0

Chris Perry 136 yards rushing 3 tds,44 yards recieving 1 td

looking good all around just hope the Wolverines don't overlook a very dangerous Oregon team next week.

To PapaJupe2k I get the feeling that when the Wolverines and Hawkeyes meet in 3 weeks that both teams are gonna be unbeaten and I'm thinking that its going to be an ESPN Classic Instant Classic type game and I would not be suprised if it end being the game that determanes the Big Ten title cause quite frankley the rest of the conferance is not looking all that good.

well I'm outta here got some victory parties to attend.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:38 PM
OMG FSu is laying a fricking egg! 30 yards at half time.....

It's only half time and I've sworn enough for the entire week...WOOOOHOOOO....can't wait to see how many times I can say "Fuck" in the second half.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Yup, my boys at BUFFALO are still dead last in the country after being BLOWNOUT 38-15 by Division 1-AA Colgate. My god.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:33 PM

If people didn't think U Of M was for real, today should have done it. GO BLUE! What a shame about them Irish boys...breaks my heart.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:29 PM
The FSU players are going to have to go to class with cushions to sit on this week after pulling that win out of their asses.

By the way....Michagan....DAMN! I love to see Notre Dame lose and lose big.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RicochetShaw
Hmmmm, call me crazy.... but I don't see an inch of contest in the Michigan vs Notre Dame game. I think Big Blue is going to give the Irish a good ol' thrashing. We'll see though....

I knew it!

and about that FSU game....... WHEW! I never want to have an experience like that again! I was crushed.... but then they came back and won, woohoo!! Boy we did bad in the first half, but I can't complain since we won. I'm content .
Old 09-13-2003, 11:30 PM
I ended up having to work this afternoon so I only now just gone done watching the destruction of Notre Dame at the hands of the mighty Wolverines. Thank God I didn't have any assholes come into work talking about the game.

Even during the title run of 97 I don't remember ever seeing a Michigan team putting such a whipping on such a highly regarded opponet on both sides of the ball. I remember Iowa giving us a bit of a scare that year and its looks like it is setting up like that again.

And holy shit Chris Perry is a fucking stud. I've been rolling my eyes at all this Heisman talk, but he might be the #1 contender in the country right now.

Our depth is insane too. They were guys coming off the bench I never heard of tearing it up. THis is going to be an elite team for the next few years. Guiterrez looks like a good QB and all the younger rb's look real good. Woodley at LB and Watson at DT are big big talents who rarely see the field.

Oregon is still going to be a big test next week. Thats not exactly the easiest stadium to go into and win a game.

Well Papa it looks like Iowa might be legit this year. It really could be a good one.