Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 AM
The Satanic Verses

Has anyone read this? Can you give me any information on it.

I was to young to appeciate the frenzied reaction it provoked when it first game out. Including a death sentance being placed on Rushdie by the Ayatolla.

It's a book i'm really interested in reading. Can anybody gime me thier views on how good/interesting it is?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I tried reading the first 20 pages and had no idea what was going on.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah I think an understanding of Isalm and India's culture helps the story along
Old 10-11-2006, 11:19 PM
maybe but his writing is dense. It's like reading Pynchon. incomprehensible and useless.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Yeah so I hear. Although others call his structure genius and his use of language magical.

Has no-one else read this?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:37 PM
it's something ive been interested in reading for some time but ive just never gotten round to it. i'll have to give it a look
Old 10-29-2006, 09:19 PM
It is blown a little out of proportion by some people. Worth mentioning that the book is not "blasphemous", being a novelization of a bit of Islamic folklore - and it is about Mohammed, who is essentially a normal (ideal) man, not a God-type figure.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Yes but he also insinuates alot of senarios that include women being the dominant force at the beginning of Isalm/before Isalm. Obviously such things along with other playfull digs Rushdie takes is in direct confilict with their religion.

I wonder now if the book will have the same sensationilism as it did back then. Probably not due to they hype. But I am still going to read it none the less and make my own mind up.