Old 11-22-2006, 05:39 PM
The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas

I just finished this book, and I secretly have to admit I dig it. It's definitely not great literature, but it's ridiculously fun. Elitist meandering about philsophy and science mixed in with chain smoking and occasional sex. Who's complaining? It's entirely absurd, but it's awkwardly self-aware enough to make that ok.

Here is the Publisher's Weekly description from Amazon.

In Thomas's dense, freewheeling novel, Ariel Manto, an oversexed renegade academic, stumbles across a cursed text, which takes her into the Troposphere, a dimension where she can enter the consciousness, undetected, of other beings. Thomas first signals something is askew even in Ariel's everyday life when a university building collapses; soon after, Ariel discovers her intellectual holy grail at a used book shop: a rare book with the same title as the novel, written by an eccentric 19th-century writer interested in "experiments of the mind." The volume jump-starts her doctoral thesis, but her adviser disappears. And when Ariel follows a recipe in the book, she finds herself in deep trouble in the Troposphere. Her young ex-priest love interest may be too late to save her. Thomas blithely references popular physics, Aristotle, Derrida, Samuel Butler and video game shenanigans while yoking a Back to the Future–like conundrum to a gooey love story. The novel's academic banter runs the gamut from intellectually engaging to droning; this journey to the "edge of consciousness" is similarly playful but less accessible than its predecessor, PopCo. (Oct.)