Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM
star wars, where to start

I see so many dam star wars books, some prequels and stuff
but as I look through all of them at my book store so many of them say "book 4 of" and conclusion and the 2nd instalemnt, and yada yada.

What books do I start reading first that talk about the galaxy before episode 1and what books should I start off on that tkae place after episode 6.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:17 AM
Timothy Zahn pretty much pwns all other expanded universe novels. I highly recommend picking up the Thrawn trilogy, and the Hand of Thrawn duology as well (although the latter is not NEARLY as good as the former). However, if your interested in following Star Wars chronologically, then pick up Outbound Flight before you delve into the Thrawn stuff, as it does provide some integral backstory (although, the Thrawn trilogy stands on its own, so its not majorly important).

Also of note are the New Jedi Order books, if only for the introduction of what is, IMO, the most kickass alien species of any medium, the Yuzzhan Vong. If you dig aliens, and your into freaky shit, then you'll love this species.

Also, the Revenge of the Sith novelization is really good. About 3 billion times better than that shit movie.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Danger^Cart; 12-20-2006 at 03:43 AM..
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danger^Cart

Also, the Revenge of the Sith novelization is really good. About 3 billion times better than that shit movie.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that book was GREAT. The movie was a dissapointment in comparrison. Also the follow up book was really good- Darth Vader: Dark Lord.
Quote:

Hope that helps.

Yes, that book was GREAT. The movie was a dissapointment in comparrison. Also the follow up book was really good- Darth Vader: Dark Lord.
Quote:

Hope that helps.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I read Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, and liked it.

I read it a second time about 4 years ago, and wasn't as impressed, since I caught on how silly it was that the characters would make a one or two page conversation about what actions they should take during the heat of battle - no way in HELL you could talk that much while still in the fight like that lol
But it's still pretty good.

Thing is, there's a major plot device about cloaked ships, as if it was a first from the Empire, but in Empire Strikes Back when the Millenium Falcon disappears right in front of Vader's eyes, the other dude says "No ship that small has a cloaking device!" Is this a mistake?

I tried reading Spectre of the Past about 5 times, but never got past page 150 or so.

With all that said, here's a timeline on the STAR WARS novels if you really wanna know when what happens:

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/st.../timeline.html

and another one...

http://callistazm.tripod.com/scifiles/swtime.html

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 12-22-2006 at 04:41 PM..
Old 01-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy is by far the best place to start. His books pretty much set the tone of all EU novels.

Then I would suggest the Kevin J. Anderson Jedi Academy Trilogy. Its all about Luke setting up his own academy on Yavin IV and the subsequent awakening of a long-dead Sith Lord.

Then you can read a few stand-alone novels like Darksaber and Children of the Jedi.

Finally, finish off with the New Jedi Order series. It introduces the most interesting and greatest enemy the galaxy has ever known....The Yuuhzahn Vong.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I highly recomend the New Jedi Order Series. Its like Star Wars gone mature.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:32 PM
There are a few Tales of books that expand the story lines of side characters and help flesh out the Star Wars universe beyond the main characters. If you like short stories then these are well worth reading too.

Tales From Jabba's Palace
Tales From The Mos Eisley Cantina,
Tales From The Empire
Tales From The New Republic
Tales Of The Bounty Hunters
Old 03-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Start with the nostalgic big time classic...

Old 04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
I own a shit-load of Star Wars novels and comics....it's not funny....

Here's what I recommend:

Shadows of the Empire has to be my favorite Star Wars novel. Dash Rendar for the fucking win!

I own the entire New Jedi Order series, and it really kicks ass.

Also recommend the aforementioned Thrawn Trilogy and Jedi Academy trilogy.

One series not mentioned before was the X-Wing series. If you love space battles and stories with a shit load of twists, you'll love these books.

The Han Solo Trilogy is also good. Shows the dude's beginnings from a kid all the way to the moment he meets Obi-wan Kenobi on Tatooine.

If you don't mind the childish tone of it, try the Young Jedi Knights series. This was the first series of books that I owned in the Expanded Universe, and it really is a good read.

If you want to branch into comics, then there is nothing better than the Dark Empire series, which has Luke going to the Dark Side! You probably won't find them in store, since they are EXTREMELY rare. There was a trade paper-back version of the comics released about 2 years ago, try finding that.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blk_flower
What books do I start reading first that talk about the galaxy before episode 1and what books should I start off on that tkae place after episode 6.
You might be better off reading them in the order of year published rather than chronologically galaxy-wise (making exceptions for series which should be read straight through before venturing elsewhere). Sure, you'll be jumping back and forth in the timelines but at least no important storylines will be spoiled.

The first of the Thrawn Trilogy (Heir To The Empire) was published in 1991, I believe, so that's about as good a place to start as any. Some books were published previous to that but I don't think any of them were particularly impacting to the Star Wars timelines.