Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Long Day's Journey Into Night

Normally, I hate reading plays. But this is different. This has to be one of the best thing's I've ever read. The characters seem to be very unlikable, yet you still kind of feel sorry for them. *SPOILER!* (to those who've not yet read it), but to those who have, what do you make of the ending? I've read some people say that there may be hope in the future for the family, but I (as do others) took the pesimist route and saw no hope. Opinions?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:32 AM
This is one of my favorite plays as well. I saw it in NYC once, actually, with Brian Dennehey, Vanessa Redgrave, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robert Sean Leonard. I went back to read it afterwards I thought it was so incredible.

SPOILERS

I think the ending is mixed. It is based on Eugene O'Neill's real life, which did not turn out to be so upbeat, so I think it's fair to say that the mother has gone crazy enough that they don't expect to get her out of it. While they might have some hope, for the most part, they are the end result of their own shortcomings.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:59 AM

As much as I love all things Tennessee Williams, Edward Albee and Arthur Miller, I think this may be the single greatest accomplishment of the American Theatre.

Most American plays are about angry people, usually families, bitching at each other (and I say that with affection and admiration, but it's true if you think about it), but this one is extra special. The structure, the way we're rarely with more (or less) than two of them at a time, the way we get a taste of all of their problems, with each other and individually, it's really remarkable.