Old 03-09-2007, 06:07 PM
What's a good Graphic Novel database site?

Like with IMDb is to movies, what's a site to Graphic Novels with criticism and all that jazz?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 PM
hmm...I don't know about online, honestly your best bet is to go to your local comic shop and talk to the geek behind the counter. I can say that because I'm a comic geek (and I prefer graphic novels).
Old 03-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Haha. Well, I'm a fan of Alan Moore, Watchmen specifically and Ronin from Miller. Is there anything in the vein of those that I might like?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:18 AM
tell me some comics you like...and I will recommend some Trade Paper Backs (if you say graphic novel in a comic store they will laugh at you...noob term).
Old 03-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sh8dy Milkman
(if you say graphic novel in a comic store they will laugh at you...noob term).
Not just in comic book stores, either. Happens with anyone who knows a single thing abuot comics, whether they like them or not, because everyone knows graphic novel is just a term people use when they're too embarrassed to say they read comic books.

IGN actually has a decent comics section on their site. I read their weekly reviews, and although they don't usually make me change anything about my pull list, they're interesting (if anyone knows any other online weekly review pages besides that and Comic Book Resources, let me know please). Anyway, a while ago IGN compiled this "Ultimate Bookshelf" list that can give you some good reccomendations if you're willing to read through it (it's alphabetized by title, so you can't find anything according to genre or even author). Here's the link:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/646/646012p1.html

comicbookresources.com also has some good columns, and a very active board, so if you can't find what you're looking for here or at a comic book store (not that that's very likely, the two together should be plenty) you can get some info over there.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I've been a HUGE comic book reader since I was like 4 or 5 (I'm almost 30), and for some reason, I still call TPBs graphic novels - I can't shake the term, lol.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bluesbrother965
Not just in comic book stores, either. Happens with anyone who knows a single thing abuot comics, whether they like them or not, because everyone knows graphic novel is just a term people use when they're too embarrassed to say they read comic books.
Oh, fucking THANK YOU. And here I thought I was alone in hating that term. I don't have a whole lotta friends that are into comics, so I can't really "talk shop" ever, but whenever someone uses the term "graphic novel" I proceed to strike them down with FURRRRIOUS ANNNGAA!

Seriously, when people use that term, it's like they're apologizing for reading comics. Any self respecting fanboy just doesn't do it.

No offense bourahioro, but surely you must recognize the shame in what your doing.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danger^Cart
No offense bourahioro, but surely you must recognize the shame in what your doing.

....I do for some fucked up reason I just can't shake the term, maybe it's because graphic novels are what I first heard them refered to as, I dunno. I'm certainly not apologetic about the fact that I love comics, I fucking love comics, and if someone doesn't like it, well, they're likely not brave enough to say it to my face anyway, so who cares

GRAPHIC NOVELS RULE! lol
Old 03-11-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't see the shame in using the term Graphic Novel. Sure it was a term utilised as a way of reducing the social embarassment faced by those who enjoyed reading comic books but since i'm not ashamed of being a comic book reader it doesn't really affect me either way. However, I remember back when I started reading comics again...back when I was about 17. I did at the time feel a bit self conscious about pulling out a Spider-Man comic on the train for a quick read on the way home. Like my fellow passengers would be laughing up their sleeves at me or something. But those days are long since passed. I'll happily pull out the latest issue of The Incredible Hulk or Batman on the train these days and not give a shit what Joe Schmoe fellow passenger thinks. Anyway...on topic. THIS might be what you are looking for.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:26 PM
The topic just got political all of the sudden...

Typical.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dennisv
The topic just got political all of the sudden...

Typical.
Eh?

Please explain.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't know if I'm a "comic book nerd" or not, but I'm usually at the comic book store once a week buying books.

I could give a shit less if someone calls them trade paper backs or graphic novels or fuckin' picture books. It just really doesn't matter.

As far as being ashamed to read comics...NEVER...if anyone ever says anything negative about my comic habit I'll punch them in the throat.

Last edited by Hatfield; 03-14-2007 at 11:45 AM..