Old 04-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Man, I don't even know where to get started

Yeah, so the other day, I watched Batman Begins for the second time ever (I haven't watched it since I first saw it in theaters), and that made me realize...I fucking LOVE Batman. I never really read any of the comics, but I've always liked the character. I'm in the process of downloading the animated series from '92 (loved it when I was a kid), but I really want to read some of the comics, but as a new Batman fan, I have no idea where to start. I don't really know ANYTHING about comics (I read some manga now and again, but that's about it). Any recommendations. I'm thinking about getting the Batman: Year One graphic novel, and I want to check out The Killing Joke (I hear that this comic is how the Joker's going to be modeled in The Dark Knight). And while we're at it, what else should I check out that isn't Batman?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Okay, here we go. You covered The Killing Joke and Year one, but you still need these:

Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: Dark Victory
Batman: Haunted Knight
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: War on Crime
Kingdom Come (not really Batman, but check it out as your "other")
Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks. Sounds awesome. I actually almost bought The Long Halloween when I was at Borders the other day. I'll definitely pick it up (along with Year One, most likely) next time I'm there.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 PM
These 2 are a must:

Batman: Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dfd3657
Thanks. Sounds awesome. I actually almost bought The Long Halloween when I was at Borders the other day. I'll definitely pick it up (along with Year One, most likely) next time I'm there.
No problem, I'm sure you'll love them.

The Long Halloween is a great start; those books I listed are among the best GNs I've read. Have fun.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Tower of Babel
Batman: No Mans Land
Knightfall
Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 PM
The Animated Series and all its spin-offs are a GREAT introduction into the Batman mythology. Batman Beyond is the best take on Batman of the future Iíve ever seen.

To add to the list of recommended comics, the more recent classic, HUSH.
Also, keep in mind that Frank Millerís Batman (Year One & Dark Knight Returns) is not part of Batman Canon. In fact youíll find a lot of classic Batman storylines are not canon.

Last edited by Silverload; 04-17-2007 at 11:47 PM..
Old 04-17-2007, 11:33 PM
As Silverload stated, the animated series is not only top-notch shit, but it's a great place for newbies to get into character.

Also, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is not only my favorite Batman movie to date, but one of my favorite movies period. Pick that shit up.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverload
Oh, yes. Stellar stuff.

You should look up any of the Neal Adams hardcovers, too. He's one of the finest artists who ever drew the character. Many still follow in his footsteps.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Silverload
I wouldn't call HUSH classic by any means. While the artwork is fucking fantastic, the story is pretty shallow and overall predictable.

Great work from Jim Lee. Sub-par work from Jeph Loeb.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danger^Cart
As Silverload stated, the animated series is not only top-notch shit, but it's a great place for newbies to get into character.
I watched like 7 episodes in a row last night. I used to love the show as a kid. I watched up to the Two-Face episodes. Great stuff.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Read

The Long Halloween and then go straight to Dark Victory. I read those before I saw Batman Begins, freakin love it.

Also try to catch the Frank Miller TDK series. The man is skilled.

some artwork to get you hyped.

Last edited by Digifruitella; 04-18-2007 at 04:15 PM..
Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm definitely heading over to my local Borders and picking one or two of these up this weekend. I'm addicted to Batman right now.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Digifruitella
Read

The Long Halloween and then go straight to Dark Victory. I read those before I saw Batman Begins, freakin love it.

Also try to catch the Frank Miller TDK series. The man is skilled.

some artwork to get you hyped.

tim sale draws a awesome batman.

i would say those and batman year 300 and batman year 1 by frank miller.
and identity crisis by brad meltzer is cool as well ,batman isn`t the main character but theres a neat twist to do with him.