Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Natalie Portman Overrated?

I'm sure I'll take some heat for this, but it's my opinion that Natalie Portman is way overrated and I'm just wondering who would agree? Yes, she's a cute little hottie, and she went or goes to Harvard, but her performances aren't that good. What's all the fuss about V for Vendetta? Oh wow she shaved her head, big whoop! What about that performance in Garden State, adorable, but playing a cute mildley retarded girl is a role she could have waltzed through with ease. All due respect Natalie.
Guys just love her image....it's the image! Frankly I don't know what girls think about her, but I doubt it's the same blind devotion that most of my male freinds have.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:18 AM
She wasn't retarded in any way in Garden State. She was just a little kooky. Nevertheless, she added some flare to the movie and gave the movie one of the many interesting characters throughout. And I want to throw in her debut performance in The Professional. She was awesome in that movie, and since she was like 12 at the time, I don't think male audiences fell in love with her appearance (just the pedophiles). I gotta disagree with you; I think she improves any movie she's in . . . and yes, she is a hottie.

(And I don't see what her going to Harvard has to do with anything movie-related.)
Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 AM
While I think she is talented and very beautifull I still feel that she is over rated in both camps a little.

She was sensational in Leon. I doubt she will reach those levels again. She was very good in V. Apart from that I haven't seen anything mind blowing from her in terms of acting. I'm not saying she's not good either. She gave a decent performance in Closer but that was over rated because of what she had to do in some of her scenes. But I still feel on times people are just a little to quick with the praise.

Good actress? Definitley.

Brilliant? Not for me.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 AM
This thread is absolute sacrilege.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS...

UNBELIVABLE.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:41 AM
*comes with the torches and pitchforks*

THIS THREAD SHALL BURN!!!!!

Natalie will never be overrated and to speak of such a thing is heracy.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I think she's a good actress but I do believe she gets fawned over just a tad too much.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 AM
*joins Elder with more torches and pitchforks*

definitely not overrated at all to me, i dont think ive ever seen a bad performance from her
Old 02-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Not an Oscar winner, but one of the better actresses in Hollywood (my personal opinion) and I find her to be very fetching,
Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cronos

I'm not a rabid fan but I'll definitely add my pitchforks/torches...but I'm saving some of them for an anti-Rachel McAdams thread should the day come.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by powersauce
I'm not a rabid fan but I'll definitely add my pitchforks/torches...but I'm saving some of them for an anti-Rachel McAdams thread should the day come.
Now there is an actress that is overrated!

(She'll never be back in my hot book after refusing to do the Vanity Fair shoot with Keira & Scarlett and she is not a good actress at all.)

I think I'm going to pay for that above statment.

Last edited by ElderPredator; 02-23-2007 at 09:06 AM..
Old 02-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Damone
I think she's a good actress but I do believe she gets fawned over just a tad too much.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cronos
For no other reason then to join in on the lynchin'
Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
You know who I think are overrated? People who complains things are overrated.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ElderPredator

(She'll never be back in my hot book after refusing to do the Vanity Fair shoot with Keira & Scarlett and she is not a good actress at all.)

Yes you are.
Give me one of those pitchforks Cronos...I'm going to roast me an Elder....
Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Quote:
*comes with the torches and pitchforks*

THIS THREAD SHALL BURN!!!!!

Natalie will never be overrated and to speak of such a thing is heracy.
Aye, I join ya.

Where is the little bugger?
We all know that threads live in cornfields...
Am I the only one who knows this?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Easy with the pitchforks. I think it's safe to say that some of you may be the loyal followers that dream of being a Jedi and marrying Natalie on some distant planet, so fictional that on this planet you're actually cool. Nothing wrong with that. It's nice to have dreams, just don't let them consume you and cloud your vision young Jedi.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:13 PM
How is this gossip?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I dont think shes Overrated I think she can play a good serious role and then fall back and laugh at her self, for coming up from a being a child star she has done more than any other Child star.

YooHoo Elder how bout posting so piccys of the lovely lady?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:50 PM
-scrambles to gather pitch forks and torches!-
Old 02-23-2007, 04:15 PM
She has yet to prove herself to me as an actor. Acting-wise she was terrible in Star Wars, granted that wasn't really her fault. In V for Vendetta she was merely *OK*. Her best performance yet was in Garden State, which was good but not great.

Sure she is beautiful and smart, but she couldn't definitely stand to gain a few pounds too.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah - she's over-rated
Old 02-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Overrated for what and by whom? Acting skills? Role choices? By critics? By teen audiences? Whose opinions I have to consider regarding the overrating?

She's too young to be judged by a body of work. She never delivered turkey. She never said she's the best. I don't care what critics think. My answer: she's the most popular movie star born in Jerusalem.

P.S. Comparing to the Oscar winner - Roberts - she's bigger than Chaplin.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Beenthere
Overrated for what and by whom? Acting skills? Role choices? By critics? By teen audiences? Whose opinions I have to consider regarding the overrating?
I don't know for sure, but I imagine he meant the internet crowd.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:47 PM
She is naturally beatiful and a fantastic actress. I like her in about everything she has done, especially Cold Mountain. Her part was rather small but she was phenominal.

Its also refreshing that she isnt trashy like a lot of those other Hollywood starlets.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by echo_bravo
She is naturally beatiful and a fantastic actress. I like her in about everything she has done, especially Cold Mountain. Her part was rather small but she was phenominal.

Its also refreshing that she isnt trashy like a lot of those other Hollywood starlets.
Preston, read Echo's post. That latter statement is key.

She simply has more class than most of the actresses in Hollywood today. She is also very intelligent, usually picks her roles well, and, yes, she is breathtakingly gorgeous. In my opinion, these are facts that cannot even be argued!

So, my fellow brethren, let us stand as one, united, and rise against the tides of dissent! Those who do not recognize Natalie Portman for the intelligent, beautiful, talented actress she is shall burn as the infidels! No longer shall their heresy go unpunished!

(And at the risk of sounding creepy, that last paragraph was purely for fun.)
Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:

"My name is powersauce. You called my wife overrated. Prepare to die!"

Vong,buddy, Powersauce "Montoya" will tag team with you and your pitchforks.

BTW, I think SJ (as hot as she is) is overrated as an actress and would fail in her limited range in a challenging role like Red Eye. Rachel has got WAY more range. SJ was horrible in The Island and sounded like Tara Reid on crack. Checkmate.

Besides, atleast she's got those My Name Is Tanino photos to make up for it.

Last edited by powersauce; 03-11-2007 at 09:13 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Her role in LEON is still one of my all time favorite performances. PERIOD.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:05 PM
I just don't see any talent in Rachel at all. She didn't impress me at all in "Red Eye" and she has yet to do anything really mind-blowing.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:35 PM
I think she's pure shit in the Star Wars movies.

"Anakin, you're breaking my heart."
Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Boner X-Ray
I think she's pure shit in the Star Wars movies.

"Anakin, you're breaking my heart."
You don't blame the poor acting from the Star Wars films on the actors...you blame George Lucas for bieng a shitty director.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Quote:
I just don't see any talent in Rachel at all. She didn't impress me at all in "Red Eye" and she has yet to do anything really mind-blowing.
One moment I'm on your side, the next I want to light torches and gather pitchforks to get YOU!

....I mean come on! It's Rachel McAdams. I mean she's no Ellen Page (tee-hee) but COME ON!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vong
You don't blame the poor acting from the Star Wars films on the actors...you blame George Lucas for bieng a shitty director.
In the end though, none of the SW films were particularly based on the inner workings of a character's psyche.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:38 PM
I was about to go apeshit and get the tar and feathers but then I saw you have all of 5 posts and I remembered you can't even spell Joker, so I figured me defending natalie against your sacreligious statement is like getting into a poop throwing contest with a monkey, no need to lower myself to that point
Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tagia_Romero
In the end though, none of the SW films were particularly based on the inner workings of a character's psyche.
There is so much truth in that statement.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Backstabba
One moment I'm on your side, the next I want to light torches and gather pitchforks to get YOU!

....I mean come on! It's Rachel McAdams. I mean she's no Ellen Page (tee-hee) but COME ON!
I'll admit that she's super sexy but that's it.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sirdizzy
I was about to go apeshit and get the tar and feathers but then I saw you have all of 5 posts and I remembered you can't even spell Joker, so I figured me defending natalie against your sacreligious statement is like getting into a poop throwing contest with a monkey, no need to lower myself to that point
I think you just lowered yourself by basing an opinion on the number of times he's posted a comment and whether or not he can spell or type. At least he gave opinions on Portman's movies and performances. Right now, his argument is stronger than yours.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Ok I'll argue it then, as prementioned Leon is one of the more fantastic performances of any actors career. Its a powerful performance by a then very young Portman, Throw out the star wars movies which are hard to act in because of the really bad dialogue (legenday actor Alec Guiness always lamented over this when he played Kenobi) and her career is littered with really good to great roles.

Beautiful Girls, Closer, Where the Heart is, Heat and even Garden State while not a oscar worthy type of performance is the reason why fanboys love her. She pulled off the kooky, cute girl next door kind of performance to perfection. And then is able to switch to more pofound movies like Closer.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm pleased with all the responses. Even the ones that want to tar and feather me for not worshipping all that is Natalie Portman. I think it's funny when people say that her best performance was in the Professional, a time when she didn't have nearly the experience she has now. I will say she is good at acting cute and vulnerable, but she's no leading lady. Not yet anyway.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Now THAT'S a damn good argument. One I agree with.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Backstabba

....I mean come on! It's Rachel McAdams.
Amen to that. Once again SJ would FAIL in the role of Lisa Riesert. You can't fake terror like that like where she calls the police near the end of the movie.

However, EP,"Inigo" will spare you just in case someone creates an anti Jen Garner (who we definitely both agree on and love) thread to bring our pitchforks to.

Last edited by powersauce; 02-25-2007 at 11:27 AM..