#1  
Old 04-07-2007, 07:53 AM
does sex sell when it comes to comics

does sex really sell when it comes to comics.

like the small costumes,big breasts them been tied up and so on.

as a guy i have no problem with female characters been drawing like that ? i don`t find it sexist at all .




like this picture here to for this issue?.what are your 1st thoughts.innocent looking enough.

or this one



nude girl(abby chase) sexy look with a gun.


the main thing that catches your eye on this.

hell i have no problem with it,or people like j scott campbell,frank cho,michael turner ,terry dobson would be out of work if people said stop drawing females like that.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM
It's a fantasy world. Of course sex sells. You don't even have to look at female character to come to this realization. The men are just as badly proportioned.




Because all men look like THAT! Only in a fantasy world though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Re: does sex sell when it comes to comics

Quote:
Originally posted by yorrick brown
does sex really sell when it comes to comics.

like the small costumes,big breasts them been tied up and so on.

as a guy i have no problem with female characters been drawing like that ? i don`t find it sexist at all .




like this picture here to for this issue?.what are your 1st thoughts.
Camel toe.

That's my first thought.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jolanar
It's a fantasy world. Of course sex sells. You don't even have to look at female character to come to this realization. The men are just as badly proportioned.




Because all men look like THAT! Only in a fantasy world though.
And what's funny is if they give stats on a male character built like that they're usually something like 6'2", 215 pounds.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Of course it sells. Sex always sells. Everyone knows that. Gen 13, Witchblade, Vamperilla, Tarot. Those are just some of the more provocative comics. But there are many....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Not so much.

Animated chicks don't get me hot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I can't count the amount of times I've heard she (insert female comic book character name here) is SO FUCKING HOT!

The art is appealing to the eye yes, and you may like the character, but seriously? Hot?....people are fucked in the head.


And for the record, I am a comic geek, and don't consider comic chicks boneable.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bourahioro

And for the record, I am a comic geek, and don't consider comic chicks boneable.
Then you sir, are no comic book geek.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jolanar
Then you sir, are no comic book geek.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Most definately sex sells when it comes to comic books

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Sex sells when it comes to any/everything...Axe (spray for men) anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sh8dy Milkman
Sex sells when it comes to any/everything...Axe (spray for men) anyone?
Don't get me started on those commercials.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't get hot at comics. But a well drawn sexy cover catches my eye. Curious about what they can possibly put in a comic (meant for kids) but drawn for adults maybe?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Manara has made a very long and succesful career with his erotic comics. I don't know if he is that well known in USA, but he is very famous in Europe. He is an exceptionaly guy in the sense that he is a respected auteur despite doing very sex-filled comics.

Serpieri's Druuna series were also very popular, parts 1-3 were more scifi with softcore sex, but from part 4 on it was full HC porno. I don't really know what else Serpieri has done besides the Druuna series. Manara has a fascination with misogynism and S/M, but Serpieri is just blatantly, extremely misogynist and his sex deals mostly with rape.

Both Manara and Serpieri deliver great art work, and their women are VERY bangable.

Last edited by Tuukka; 04-13-2007 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
There are so many comic chicks that I would give anything to have some "special" time with.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-18-2007, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuukka
Manara has made a very long and succesful career with his erotic comics. I don't know if he is that well known in USA, but he is very famous in Europe. He is an exceptionaly guy in the sense that he is a respected auteur despite doing very sex-filled comics.
He's an excellent artist. Jim Lee lists him as an influence.

There is a whole subgenre of quality adult-oriented comics that the guys Tuukka mentioned are part of (the NBM and Bud Plant catalogues are full of them.) They go along nicely with painters like Boris Vallejo, Luis Royo and Olivia.

As for the more general proposition, it sells in mainstream books, too, at least in the short term. But if you don't have good writing, it becomes cloying after a while. I always loved the way Jean Grey and Storm looked when John Byrne drew them, but I wouldn't have been interested in them as living characters if Chris Claremont wasn't writing them as brilliantly as he was.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Maybe this thread was already dead, but it's the first time I see it and I feel like replying today!
Manara once said he draws women after real ones he sees on the streets, and claims they're even prettier in real life...
I'd like to know where does Manara live...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Re: does sex sell when it comes to comics

Quote:
Originally posted by yorrick brown



like this picture here to for this issue?.what are your 1st thoughts.
"I wonder if Madureira will ever finish Battle Chasers..."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Re: Re: does sex sell when it comes to comics

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Halloween
"I wonder if Madureira will ever finish Battle Chasers..."
he`s said that he wants to and that he`s ashamed that he left it hanging .

but he won`t lol.he`s full off it.ultimates 3 is gonna be cool but chances are you are gonna have to wait months for each comic to come out.

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leloup
Maybe this thread was already dead, but it's the first time I see it and I feel like replying today!
Don't worry. There is no such thing as a dead thread at JoBlo's. It's one of the many great things about this board
Quote:
Manara once said he draws women after real ones he sees on the streets, and claims they're even prettier in real life...
I'd like to know where does Manara live...
He's Italian, I think, so I'm guessing Rome.

The European Union should have billboards and ads in magazines with one of Manara's images, that quote and a tagline of "Come to Eurpose and see for yourself!"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuukka
Both Manara and Serpieri deliver great art work, and their women are VERY bangable.
Hell, yeah!

Click This
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Don't worry. There is no such thing as a dead thread at JoBlo's. It's one of the many great things about this board He's Italian, I think, so I'm guessing Rome.

The European Union should have billboards and ads in magazines with one of Manara's images, that quote and a tagline of "Come to Eurpose and see for yourself!"
Been there my friend... and girl's are not as hot as Manara portrays them! I'd like to be able to get in those comics, kinda like in the movie "cool world", huh?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump