Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Flowers for Algernon

This was a book I had to read in high school and I thought it was pretty cool. I don't remember a whole lot of it now but it revolved around a retarded man named Charly who undergoes testing which slowly builds his intelligence until he becomes a genius. In the end he starts to lose his wits little by little until he eventually reverts back to his former self. I think the title of the book is often mistaken as Charly. Anyone else read this one?

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Re: Flowers for Algernon

Quote:
Originally posted by teenkiller
This was a book I had to read in high school and I thought it was pretty cool. I don't remember a whole lot of it now but it revolved around a retarded man named Charly who undergoes testing which slowly builds his intelligence until he becomes a genius. In the end he starts to lose his wits little by little until he eventually reverts back to his former self. I think the title of the book is often mistaken as Charly. Anyone else read this one?

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Been meaning to read it. My grandfather just read it, and loved it - which is very rare for him.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 PM

It was an interesting read. It wasn't until just now that I remembered Algernon was the name of the pet mouse he kept. Strange how things come back to you after years and years. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:11 AM
It's by Daniel Keyes. It's a heartbreaker.

The film version is called Charly and I think some movie tie-in paperbacks had that as the title.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Algernon is a laboratory mouse who had been put through the testing earlier.

great book.written as a journal from charlies point of view.

the movie starred uncle ben from spiderman and he won the oscar for it.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
It's by Daniel Keyes. It's a heartbreaker.

The film version is called Charly and I think some movie tie-in paperbacks had that as the title.
Yeah after we read the book the teacher also made us watch the film. I didn't like it though. I much preferred the novel. I don't know why but I just don't like films from the sixties. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:33 AM
I knew I had hear the name algernon before but I couldn't remember but now I do we read this book in the beginning of the year in my language arts class I loved it and liked the movie movie titled Charly

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062794/
Old 07-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I remember reading this in 5th or 6th grade and it depressing the hell out of me.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Yeah. What a shame that everything he had grown to know in that little time was suddenly being taken away from him. Knowing that you are regressing and losing the understanding of the world around you is definitely scary. Kinda young to be reading such a heavy book eh bowieee? Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
i've heard of it, never read it though, i'll have to find a copy and give it a look when i can, sounds interesting
Old 07-19-2007, 05:35 AM
I've had this sitting on my bookcase for at least 4 years now - I keep insisting that I'm gonna read it, and then something else jumps into its place - I think I'm gonna read this after Deathly Hallows - then again if it's a bit depressing I might read something else before it (Something tells me Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is hardly gonna be a comedy )