Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Worst Series Finales?

So the Wife and I sat down over a few weeks and watched the entire Weeds series on netflix and after watching the series finale I have decided it is probably the worst I have seen. It got me thinking though, what are some of the worst finales ever?

I do not want to include shows that just got cancelled and never really got a finale, but shows that went all the way and really let you down with the final episode that was supposed to wrap everything up.

Weeds is my choice but I might be forgetting some so throw some out there and lets see what we can come up with.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Seinfeld
House
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
The Wire

What, that's it? Aren't they gonna give McNulty a medal or something? He was a really smart, good cop. How come Marlo isn't in prison, either? He's a bad guy who killed like, a lot of people. They didn't bother to let us know whether the dockworkers had found good jobs again or if that union stuff picked up. And what about Rawls? Did he find love in that bar, does he have someone to go home to now, or was he maybe like undercover? Like did you ever see that movie Cruising? They never explained that one at all. We never even got to meet Fuzzy Dunlop. Very anticlimactic.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Lost.

Yup I went there.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Ya... Weeds went down hill after they left Agrestic! And the last 2 episodes were just weird! The future jump, DOug being a fake svant.. it was just weird!

I did like the final shot though, with them all sitting on the porch smoking.

A terrible finale i always thought was Full House... the episode was all about Michelle falling off her horse and losing her memory... a proper send off would have been Uncle Jesse and his wife and sons moving out and Joey moving out... im not sure of the story surrounding it, but I'm sure this was a case of the show being cancelled before the producers/ writers could make a proper finale.

I liked Lost's finale and i was always in the minority of liking Seinfeld's finale.. the idea of bringing back all the guests was a stroke of genius... i guess it is the opposite of Weeds for me, whereas Weeds had a shitty finale with a nice ending shot, Seinfeld had a great finale with a terrible ending shot... putting them in Jail was stupid, everything else I really enjoyed.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Lost.

Yup I went there.
Lost would be my pick for best series finale of all time. That and Star Trek: TNG.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Me and the Wife were gonna give Lost a shot, we haven't watched single episode yet but we had the show ruined for us when we watched This is 40 - the spoiled the ending surprise...still gonna watch it but now kinda bummed.

I guess I should have put this in the first post - if you are going to post specific spoilers on the ending, post a warning, would hate to ruin a show for someone.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 AM
The Roseanne finale is just insulting.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:05 AM
I know I'm really in the minority going this far back, but I hated the entire last season of Lost. I wish I had stopped at the end of five. The finale itself - ugh.

Not a fan of Seinfeld's either and I remember the anticipation all season long waiting for that finale.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
The Wire

What, that's it? Aren't they gonna give McNulty a medal or something? He was a really smart, good cop. How come Marlo isn't in prison, either? He's a bad guy who killed like, a lot of people. They didn't bother to let us know whether the dockworkers had found good jobs again or if that union stuff picked up. And what about Rawls? Did he find love in that bar, does he have someone to go home to now, or was he maybe like undercover? Like did you ever see that movie Cruising? They never explained that one at all. We never even got to meet Fuzzy Dunlop. Very anticlimactic.
Spoiler:
Old 03-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Q brings the funny

I had actually wondered why they never explored the Rawls thing, no joking.

I think Larry David got out from under the awful Seinfeld finale by doing the mock one on Curb.

Which just leaves Lost.

I would have preferred the producers just mail me a human turd if that was the point they wanted to get across.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 AM
The last 3 seasons of Lost all just seemed rather rushed to me. Obviously it was to try and appease people who were complaining that the second and third seasons felt drawn out. But I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot by not sticking to their guns. It didn't help that they seemed to make us think that it was building to something bigger than it actually ultimately was.

As for the Seinfeld finale, I don't think it was ever intended to be a brilliant episode; more of a comeuppance for 4 very self-absorbed characters, who, if they existed in real life and we knew them, most of us probably wouldn't like.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
The Lost finale is way up there for me. Horrible.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
The Roseanne finale is just insulting.
That is actually one of my favorite finales =/
Old 03-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Aw, I loved the Weeds finale. It was great.

I thought the Married with Children finale sucked... Only because Fox pulled the fucking plug on it outta nowhere and they never wrote a proper ending to the show. That sucks ass!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 AM
SEINFELD & THE SOPRANOS! I don't think I'm alone in this, but my expectations were shattered by the absolute superiority in which these two iconic series displayed before their swan song misfires!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post

As for the Seinfeld finale, I don't think it was ever intended to be a brilliant episode; more of a comeuppance for 4 very self-absorbed characters, who, if they existed in real life and we knew them, most of us probably wouldn't like.
That makes sense I'll bet you're right regarding the finale. As to liking those characters in real life? I agree there as well. No way! I loved the show, loved the characters but they would all drive me batty in real life. Self absorbed and petty and often mean spirited.

Fun to watch though.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
With Lost, no matter how it ended, people would either love it or hate it. Personally, I loved it. I thought it was a perfect ending, but I can see people hating it for not explaining what the island is exactly. But if you remember, nobody really knows what it is either on the island.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Just off the top of my head, 24 came to mind. It didn't seem like a series finale. It seemed like a finale to any other season. Nothing felt "bigger" about it and it was almost like they thought there was going to be another season (did they?) or assumed the 24 movie was a sure thing.

Was also let down by Lost. That show did such an amazing job building up so many mysteries only for them to basically reveal they didn't have a clue what they were doing when they thought these things up in the first place. I'm no fan of the "ambiguous" approach. Just seemed like a cheap excuse to me.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Lost is up there on my list, but only the tag-ass ending. Up to that point I actually thought season six was goddamn brilliant, because of the flash-sideways shit. Here is what I think should have happened:

Spoiler:
In the sideways universe, the finale reveals that Flight 815 was hit by some sort of experimental or unheard-of toxin (maybe terrorists, maybe government assholes, the reason is irrelevant) and caused a shared hallucination. This happened in the season six premiere, unbeknownst to the passengers who have been feeling its effects all this time. The science is fudgy and also irrelevant, and could be explained way better by better minds than mine. The point is, I expected it to be set up to where the flash-sideways' were reality, or at least presented as reality, where something happened on that plane to make them share this completely imagined island stuff. Watching season six from that point of view, and comparing what their "real" lives are like and how that reflects on their "imagined" roles on the island and such, made it absolutely goddamn genius imo. Locke's guilt over what he did to his father in that reality informing his hallucinated role in the island universe is the best example, that's some good shit right there and makes you reexamine his character from a completely new light (everyone else's too, in their own ways). But the key is the season five finale, so that maybe everything on the island WAS real and the flash sideways is just the result of Jack's nuking shit out. So when the well (or whatever the fuck it was) was destroyed, did that alter reality to suit their personalities and THAT's why things are the way they are in the sideways? As for all the shit that's still happening on the island during that season, you could just explain it as lingering effects of the poison causing them to slip back into that reality on occasion.

Whatevs, look, I'm being very specific here without meaning to. I didn't really expect things to happen exactly like that, but something to that order, where we can believe what we want. This would maintain the show's chief ingredient (mystery) even after its conclusion and people would still, to this day, be arguing about whether the island was real or not. Giving us ANY definite answer at all destroyed what made the show so intriguing to people, so I expected it to be wrapped up with a lot of that mystery maintained but in a satisfying, finale way. My scenario would have been extremely satisfying to me, but maybe not to others, and probs that's why I don't write TV shows for a living.

And anyway, hypothetical endings aside, the reveal just sucked all on its own. The sideways reality was turned into a complete waste of time by what it ended up being, making season six largely pointless and stupid and ultimately not finale'ing much of anything at all.

I'm really surprised at the couple of you who have said the House finale was bad. I found it very satisfying and just plain awesome. Different strokes, I guess, and all that.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Chillingworth, I liked your alternate ending, it made much more sense and I love the mystery of whether the island was real or not up to us to ponder.

Earlier I had written I hated the entire 6th season, but really I didn't at the time I was watching it, rather as you point out, the finale rendered the entire season pointless, and it was at that point that I wished I had not watched any of it and let it end at the Season 5 cliffhanger and let my imagination do the rest.

Year after year they gave us mysteries that we all assumed would be answered one day. Rather than wrapping up all of our past questions throughout Season 6, they kept introducing new unanswered questions that never resolved either. So disappointing.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Chillingworth, I liked your alternate ending, it made much more sense and I love the mystery of whether the island was real or not up to us to ponder.

Earlier I had written I hated the entire 6th season, but really I didn't at the time I was watching it, rather as you point out, the finale rendered the entire season pointless, and it was at that point that I wished I had not watched any of it and let it end at the Season 5 cliffhanger and let my imagination do the rest.

Year after year they gave us mysteries that we all assumed would be answered one day. Rather than wrapping up all of our past questions throughout Season 6, they kept introducing new unanswered questions that never resolved either. So disappointing.
"Every answer I give you will only lead to more questions..." -- Jacob's 'mother'
Old 03-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
"Every answer I give you will only lead to more questions..." -- Jacob's 'mother'
lol oh boy yes - one sentence to explain why they can't explain anything. Instead let's bring in a yet another new character!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM
To be fair, that's pretty much how it is in real life, no?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Lol, yes it is. However, if I wanted to watch real life I'd video myself or look out the window. I watch a program like Lost to escape real life.

J/k really I'm not bitter like I sound. I'm really not hateful towards Lost. It gave me several seasons of fun, and that far outweighs one final season. The journey itself was great.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM
LOST - I was very let down with it and the fact that I saw the ending a year before it was even filmed by accident on the internet. However I agree wit Glinda the journey was great.

I thought Weeds kinda pulled itself out of a nosedive in its finale for I feel as though the show went on for far to long and there was no Celia.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 AM
The Sopranos
Spoiler:
The cut to black was the biggest thing here for me, I understand that some characters grow to such heights that finding a way to kill them that's shocking and incredible becomes too hard after everything intense that's occured up to that moment but the abrupt note it ended on didn't have anyone saying, "oh he's dead" no it was "what the fuck just happened" there were no big clues that he was about to be murdered, only through youtube and radio findings could people then see, it's how I figured it out. The # of parking attempts outside, the hit man that walked in who was only in season 1. I get what they were going for but the execution was different, but there was no build up really, I couldn't sense the end coming. There's more to it but I don't want to get into it, Thank you guys for trying though.

The Wire- I loved it and it's better the more I meditate on the ending.
Spoiler:
There was unfinished buisness but it can't all be explained, mysteries are still unsolved and some things that shouldn't be still are, the ending works for a show like this because it took pride in being honest about the kind of world we live in and are trapped in. The last 15 or so minutes was the circle of life, always repeating a cycle of crime, justice, love and hate. With all that come so many unanswered questions. McNaulty's last words, "come on... let's go home", going to rest for the night in a world he didn't feel like he changed was powerful for me.

Seinfeld- loved it but I watched it in repeats on television so the ending didn't have that negative feel.

Lost- Loved it with some room for improvement but the show was really it's best when it was like a wild coaster ride, the destinations we arrived at just couldn't hold up, how could they?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 AM
You know whats great about the Sopranos ending? It was up to user speculation on what happened. Did he or didn't he? Was it the guy in the members only jacket from the bathroom who kept eyeballing Tony?

I liked the fact that the restaurant was full of people who represented people who Tony screwed over
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMisfit View Post
You know whats great about the Sopranos ending? It was up to user speculation on what happened. Did he or didn't he? Was it the guy in the members only jacket from the bathroom who kept eyeballing Tony?

I liked the fact that the restaurant was full of people who represented people who Tony screwed over
Yes, alas, so many people get SO used to the 3-act storytelling formula that they can't accept anything else. They NEED everything wrapped up for them in a nice big bow and everything spelled out for them in big bold letters. I'd like to see some of those whiners try to watch a Tarkovsky film.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 AM
I'm more for the creative and the unique, I've loved tons of bunches of endings that don't end anything except the actual movie or show (no country for old men, There Will Be Blood, Vanilla Sky, etc and so much more on) but in this show I'm so used to seeing people killed, clear defiant consequences and actions, that was the world they lived in, it steered from that and made us wonder sometimes but the execution here didn't give me that at all, cut to black, oh so what happened.... gee I don't really fucking know, only speculation, oh well life goes on.

Nah fuck that, people being killed, crushed with cars, cheating folks, mayhem and family turmoil in this universe and Tony Soprano goes out with something more intelligent, more poetic than all that. Season 6 try to have more thoughts like that in, artsy I guess is the word, it lost boldness.

eh whatever some loved it, some didn't and I'm making little use of these fingers saying my end. eh
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Just watched the last Spartacus on Starz. Such a great series up until the finale. It was handled so poorly.

Also, I remember scratching my head watching the last Night Court. Something about aliens...
Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 AM
Just out of curiosity...

What's your gripe with the Spartacus finale? You did know they weren't going to win, didn't you?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:24 AM
I wouldn't call it a terrible, but the series finale of Quantum Leap was pretty disappointing. For several reasons.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Without a doubt, THE SOPRANOS. How suh a great show could have such a non-ending it beyond me.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I think with The Sopranos, you gotta look at those last few episodes as the entire FInale, I mean everyone got fucking slaughtered in those last few episodes... but everyone hates just that final scene... but in that final scene we see it as the world just continues, which I absolutely loved... the tension was fucking intense, and then cut to black and the end, and i really enjoyed it.

It reminds me of the end to No Country For Old Men, where the last scene is Tommy Lee Jones talking about how the world has changed and all of that (been a while since ive seen it) and then the screen cuts to black and the end! And I remember people were pissed about that, because there really was no resolution to the Anton Chugr character, but the movie was called No Country FOr Old Men, the movie was about Tommy Lee Jones

So in that final moment of The Sopranos, the events of the last few episodes have died down and the family just goes to grab a nice simple dinner at the diner. Of course the finale was debated, did he die, did he live, in my mind he lived, it was just a simple dinner.

Thats my 2 cents.

I fully agree with the Weeds finale, that show really went down hill as the seasons progressed, once they left agrestic it really started slipping (and i think they knew that, because it wasnt until after they left Agrestic that they started showing the super hot Mary Louise Parkers boobs). I did like the final scenes of that finale though, with everyone on the porch smoking a joint. As far as shows about normal people going into the drug selling game to provide for their family, Weeds doesnt hold a candle to Breaking Bad!

A series finale that always sticks with me is Full House... the final episode was about Michelle getting amensia... the show should have ended with everyone moving out of the house and moving on, perhaps the show was cancelled before a solid series finale could be written, but a show that ran that long should have been given more to end on.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Just watched the last Spartacus on Starz. Such a great series up until the finale. It was handled so poorly.
There really was no other way this show could have ended, considering it's based on historical record. But I do admit the finale (and the last few episodes) felt a bit rushed, like they were condensing a lot of material just to reach the end.