Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 AM
"Say that thing you always say"
"Everything will be alright".

Great episode.

Just as good as the 2 hour season opener. Wasn't expecting to see Betty come back a little heftier since the last time we saw her. I also though it was a nice touch that Don still cares for the mother of his kids and his once love for life after hearing the possible bad news.

Roger had a couple of great lines and I felt bad for him in the last scene he was in when Pete announced how he got the Aiplane company back. It seems that Roger is realizing how much older he has gotten since this show started and how he is not one of the more important characters on the show anymore.

The whole Rolling Stones scenes were fun to watch too. "Who did you just speak to?" had be laughing my ass off.

I also hate Henry. Especially when Don called to see about Betty's news and the asshole couldn't even let him speak to him. Clearly he is STILL jealous of Don and how much more successful he is than him.

Can't wait for next week.

"Should we wait for Roger?"
"Why, he doesn't show up to the important meetings".
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
"Say that thing you always say"
"Everything will be alright".

Great episode.

Just as good as the 2 hour season opener. Wasn't expecting to see Betty come back a little heftier since the last time we saw her. I also though it was a nice touch that Don still cares for the mother of his kids and his once love for life after hearing the possible bad news.

Roger had a couple of great lines and I felt bad for him in the last scene he was in when Pete announced how he got the Aiplane company back. It seems that Roger is realizing how much older he has gotten since this show started and how he is not one of the more important characters on the show anymore.

The whole Rolling Stones scenes were fun to watch too. "Who did you just speak to?" had be laughing my ass off.

I also hate Henry. Especially when Don called to see about Betty's news and the asshole couldn't even let him speak to him. Clearly he is STILL jealous of Don and how much more successful he is than him.

Can't wait for next week.

"Should we wait for Roger?"
"Why, he doesn't show up to the important meetings".
Agreed.

I don't think Henry is jealous of Don on a successful level but more as he just realized Betty would rather go to Don for support than him. Not going to lie though, I kind of liked Betty in this episode.

The whole Roger and Pete thing is going to blow up soon. Pete is just asking for it. And honestly, Don and Megan aren't going to last through this season.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
Agreed.

I don't think Henry is jealous of Don on a successful level but more as he just realized Betty would rather go to Don for support than him. Not going to lie though, I kind of liked Betty in this episode.

The whole Roger and Pete thing is going to blow up soon. Pete is just asking for it. And honestly, Don and Megan aren't going to last through this season.
Agree on all points. Especially the Roger and Pete situation.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Pete was in full on bitch mode.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Pete was in full on bitch mode.
Pete and Betty should make babies.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Wasn't expecting to see Betty come back a little heftier since the last time we saw her.
At least the writers took the initiative to work Miss Jones' baby weight into the show itself.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 AM
What did I miss in regards to the importance of the scene with Ginsberg and his dad? It seemed out of place and slightly surreal. It was like I was suddenly watching a deleted scene from a Coen Brothers movie.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
What did I miss in regards to the importance of the scene with Ginsberg and his dad? It seemed out of place and slightly surreal. It was like I was suddenly watching a deleted scene from a Coen Brothers movie.
Yeah. The scene was very unexpected.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Pete and Betty should make babies.
The child would be the biggest bitch ever.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Hahaha. Agreed, it was really weird. I don't like this Ginsberg guy.

So Betty is fat eh? Strangely enough, I didn't mind her in this episode either. The final moment was quite touching. But then her reaction to the phone call she got near the end, and what she tells Henry, reminded me of the old Betty.

Man, I fear for Roger. He's my favorite character, (how can he not be) and I feel like either him or Pete will be gone by the season's end. I hope it's Pete.

Liked the first two episodes much more than the third but so far so great for season 5.

And Jon Hamm directed the episode! That's pretty cool. (Don't think it's the first time he did though)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 AM
I thought for a minute they were going to reveal Ginsberg as being a high schooler or something, but that didn't seem to be the case. The best I could make of it was they just wanted to show that he was going to have serious issues to be dealt with, compared to how he came off like a comic goof before. I just don't get why they made it seem so weighty -- having it as an ending segment seemed misplaced.

Glad someone mentioned Jones' pregnancy. I was trying to figure out the special effects.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Any thoughts on last night's episode? Pretty messed up.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Any thoughts on last night's episode? Pretty messed up.
I had seriously thought for a moment that Don had finally killed one of the women he slept with.

It was a great episode though. Somewhat scary to with the serial killer news making headway.

I really hope we get a fight (verbally or physically) between Roger and Pete with Roger winning.

It's been a perfect season so far.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I'll go into detail later, but I just wanted to pop in and say that this season has so far been worth the wait. The last episode has got to be one of my favourite Mad Men episodes, absolutely incredible.

God this show is so fucking great.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 AM
The best part of this last episode was undoubtedly
Spoiler:
when Joan told doctor rapey mcbutterfingers to take a hike.
I'm loooing forward to see what they have in store for us the next couple weeks. Supposedly tonights episode is going to be a game changer.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Finally, after five years it was great to see Pete get his ass kicked.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 PM
That fight scene was hilarious!

Is it true that Mad Men is a top favorite show for...

Spoiler:
Hipsters?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
That fight scene was hilarious!

Is it true that Mad Men is a top favorite show for...

Spoiler:
Hipsters?
Seems so. Only they watch it for fashion tips.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Spoilers!

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful episode yet again. This season is really delivering on all levels.

Pete finally had what was coming to him, not only in an ass kicking but the reprocusions for setting the rest of his life up too early. Early on he was the young guy trying to make a name for himself in a sea of seasoned veterans, not only by being extremely arrogant and ruthless in his professional life, but by speeding up his personal life to compete with his seniors. Getting married, getting a house, having a baby and moving to the suburbs in his late 20's all to impress his colleagues and his clients. He believed that everybody sought the 'family man' image, and you couldn't blame him. Afterall, don was untouchable in the first two season, unquestions by anybody and looked up to by everybody. He imitated that life far to early, as as the decade gets into it's latter years, the swinging sixties are here and the wild 70's are creeping in and he feels like he's missed out.

Any man who has a beautiful wife, a baby, a lovely house and a fantastic job should really be content and happy. Pete has missed out on his younger years, and while Don enjoys his new 'youthful' life with his stylish apartment and his gorgeous young wife, Pete is stuck in a life that he wasn't ready for. I feel sorry for him, because he really is a tragic character once you look past the douchyness on the surface.

This episode also delivered on of my favourite lines of the series in "I'm timing this for when we arrive. I want to hit the doorbell with my chin". Hilarious

Last edited by Heisenberg; 04-17-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM
By far my favorite episode of the season. Such a great hour of tv - tragic, hilarious, and poetic in its cohesiveness. John Slattery knocked it out of park with the episode's direction.

Did anyone consider that perhaps Peggy is to blame for Roger's reprimanding chat with Ken... I have odd feeling that Pete, despite it being characteristic of him to do so, was not responsible for ratting.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmont View Post
By far my favorite episode of the season. Such a great hour of tv - tragic, hilarious, and poetic in its cohesiveness. John Slattery knocked it out of park with the episode's direction.

Did anyone consider that perhaps Peggy is to blame for Roger's reprimanding chat with Ken... I have odd feeling that Pete, despite it being characteristic of him to do so, was not responsible for ratting.
It was absolutely Peggy. And John Slattery has proven himself to be an excessively competent director over the course of the series. To such an extent that I would go see a movie solely based on his directing.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 AM
I thought it was Peggy initially too, but Pete made sense so I didn't think anything of it. I think it's funny that Roger is essentially just jealous because he didn't get his autobiography published.

Agreed about the last episode, but just wanted to chime in about the previous one since I didn't get a chance to earlier and say that my new catchphrase will be, "Does Don Draper have to choke a bitch?"
Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 AM
Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
^^^^^

Brilliant.

And it was definitely Peggy who ratted, naughty girl.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM
I must admit this is the first time I've ever really found Ken interesting, what with this 'failed/aspiring writer' angle added to the story. I pretty much considered him a bland, chauvinistic douchebag the first 4 seasons.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 AM
I have seen this tv show and i love drama in this show. This show is awesome.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Roger is a bad ass. The LSD scene is probably the funniest but creepiest thing I've seen in this show.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Roger is a bad ass. The LSD scene is probably the funniest but creepiest thing I've seen in this show.
Definitely. The whole episode was very complex. It was like Mad Men meets Inception.

Also Peggy giving a Hand Job in the theater......whoa!

This season has been nothing but brilliant.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I have an announcement to make. It's going to be a beautiful day.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Tremendous episode, absolutely tremendous. I swear my heart beats a little faster when Don gets physical with his ladies, and that scene with Megan was almost a heart stopper.

Roger on LSD was a gift that kept on giving.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
"Acid Trips, Hand Jobs, and Howard Johnson's, Too!" might've been a better title for this episode.

Seriously, though, how many more times is Megan going to just let Don hit the 'reset' button on their relationship. This can't last beyond this season.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 PM
I can't stop laughing about Roger opening the bottle and closing it.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Quote:
I can't stop laughing about Roger opening the bottle and closing it.
That scene was hilarious. This whole episode was a game changer. When Don was chasing Megan, my heart was beating a little faster than usual.

Don kicking in the door was badass.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
That scene was hilarious. This whole episode was a game changer. When Don was chasing Megan, my heart was beating a little faster than usual.

Don kicking in the door was badass.
Is it wrong that I really want to get a handjob from Peggy in a movie theatre?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:54 AM
This has been my favorite episode so far, I think. That's probably the best acid trip I've seen on screen. The multiple Roger conversations happening at once was pretty right on. I also cracked up that Don was his spirit guide. It was funny as hell how well Roger handled it - I mean, I didn't expect him to wig out or anything, but I was surprised at how much he ended up liking it. I hope the writers don't toss the development as a one-time laugh, because I could see this being relevant. LSD was a heavy, heavy influence on the advertising industry through the late-70s and 80s and they could set that up. And yes, from a personal standpoint, I really, really think that Cooper would dig the hell out of it - take off your shoes!

Peggy is starting to remind me more and more of earlier-seasons Don. I mean just in terms of the risky behavior. Taking a joint from a stranger at the theater, culminating into a sex act, then going back to work and crashing on the couch - coulda been Don Season 2.

The episode was somewhat bizarre and not at all helped by the download I had that inserted 8 minutes of a Lifetime movie into the middle for no reason (WTF?)

One thing that I'm missing from this season is the development of Don's daughter and her world. It seemed like they were really going somewhere with that last season and so far, there's been nothing. I was expecting that neighbor kid to have killed someone to proclaim his love by the 3rd episode.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Is it just me or did Roger's wife look like Princess Leia ?
Peggy gave that guy a Jack Me Offer in that theatre
Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 AM
Watched it again and recalled another Don-ism from Ms. Peggy. When she goes off the handle on the Heinz guy. Don did the same thing but I can't recall the product off hand. I think it was during Season 2, but have a hard time keeping track since I watched all the seasons in a little over a month.

I hear they have renewed the show for at least 2 more seasons. Personally, and as I'm sure we all feel, I don't want them to drag it out for the sake of keeping it going. On the other hand, I'd LOVE to see the show progress in the 70s and even hit the 80s. One thing I can't see though, is Don remaining a leading character. He'll have to leave at some point, and I don't know how the show would sustain without him. What do you guys think? Could it work, or are we all really watching The Don Draper Show? This past episode, and really much of the season, I'm starting to see where the other characters can step it up enough to make it interesting.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Watched it again and recalled another Don-ism from Ms. Peggy. When she goes off the handle on the Heinz guy. Don did the same thing but I can't recall the product off hand. I think it was during Season 2, but have a hard time keeping track since I watched all the seasons in a little over a month.
You might be thinking of the first episode of Season 4, where Don went off on the Jantzen (sp?) swimsuit people. The whole two piece/swimsuit/bikini fiasco.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:

I hear they have renewed the show for at least 2 more seasons. Personally, and as I'm sure we all feel, I don't want them to drag it out for the sake of keeping it going. On the other hand, I'd LOVE to see the show progress in the 70s and even hit the 80s. One thing I can't see though, is Don remaining a leading character. He'll have to leave at some point, and I don't know how the show would sustain without him. What do you guys think? Could it work, or are we all really watching The Don Draper Show? This past episode, and really much of the season, I'm starting to see where the other characters can step it up enough to make it interesting.
Weiner has apparently all along had a specific plan for the show which involves exactly 7 seasons. It's about seeing progress through a decade by watching characters grow, develop, etc.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMazVolta View Post
You might be thinking of the first episode of Season 4, where Don went off on the Jantzen (sp?) swimsuit people. The whole two piece/swimsuit/bikini fiasco.
Yeah he got in their face and I think kicked them out of the meeting or severed ties with them somehow. That was how Peggy struck me. I think this season she's going to sort of fill in where Don was previously and Don is going to show more sides to himself. The more I think I know his character, the more I remember that there really is still a lot about his past that we don't know about. I'm not sure the show will give up his mystery allure to "go there" but it'll be interesting to see because they haven't held back in continuing to develop his character. I really can't think of another character that's gone through so many changes through a series, though I'm sure I'm just not thinking hard enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Weiner has apparently all along had a specific plan for the show which involves exactly 7 seasons. It's about seeing progress through a decade by watching characters grow, develop, etc.
That's bittersweet. One one hand, I don't want to see things dragged out, but on the other I love 70s-set period piece dramas (Ice Storm, Lymelife)