Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
How big is and whats in YOUR Comic Book Collection

Ok so i'm an avid comic reader, mostly Marvel stuff but i read some other stuff as well. I myself have a decent sized collection of around 1500+ issues and probably another 500 issues in Trade paper back form easily.

Oh my collection the larget # of issues i have is for Amazing Spider man which is about 260+ issues which includes issues 300 straight through to 400 (which is all the major appeances of Venom). After that comes Spectacular Spider man which is 175 isues+ with a 95 consecutive issues, then Web of which i am only missing 17 issues of the 129 issue run and then Spider Man of which i have the first 50 or so issues and then another 40 or so ontop of that. So i guess you can say i'm a big Spidey Fan

Some of the other stuff i've really liked are things like well of course Watchmen which is the greatest comic ever written. Preacher is great and so is Y the Last Man for my Vertigo stuff. Walking Dead is great and i've liked all the Silent Hill comics so far. And i like a bunch of Frank Miller stuff with Give Me Liberty on the top of his pile as my fav.

One of the funnest things though is reading the Marvel Essentail lines where they reprint all the old issues in order and in black and white so you can acctually read the old stories. I've got and read all 8 of the Essential Amazing Spider Man books which is Amazing Fantasy 15 - 185 or so with sevral Annuals and a couple of tie in issues of other titles and they are great, campy and cornky 60 and 70's writing sure but good non the less. Next i hope to be getting to my X-Men Essentials as it seems that Claremonts run on the book is still held above all others.

So what have you got in your Collection??
Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I've never counted them...but

Transmetropolitan (all)
Preacher (all trades)
Runaways (older trades+current run)
Y: The Last Man (all)
Invincible (all)
Sin City (all trades)
Powers
Wanted (TPB)
Planetary (TPB)
Madrox: Multiple Choice
Pride of Baghdad
Captain America
Marvel Civil War (1-7)
The Boys
Ex Machina (all)
Anita Blake: Guilty Pleasures
Fear Agent
Manhunter (current run)
X-Factor
Fables (all)
Fell
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Old 08-22-2007, 05:12 AM
dv8 all
danger girl all
y the last man all
supergirl(new run) all
wonder woman(allen heinberg) all
ms marvel all
birds of prey (expect 2,5,10,65)
gen13
all star batman and robin all
all star superman all
jla 70-100
mighty avengers
new avengers
batman(but only morrison +kubert)
wildcats:nemesis all
and lots and lots of other ones i`ve started then stopped like
hack/slash
tenth
fathom 1-11
witchblade
ex machina
authority
walking dead
extermintors
texas chainsaw
friday the 13th

i have a great second hand book store near by thats a goldmine for old comics.i mean i got battle chasers 1-6 for $18.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Battle Chasers 1 through 6 for $18.00?! great find!!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM
i know!!!.they don`t know what they have or the people that traded them in.

its a goldmine.i got bird of prey from there as well,but now i collect it monthly.

i also started collecting

new warriors
madame mirage
planet hulk
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM
yes nice grab on hte Battle Chasers did you hear Megan Fox is staring the Hack/Slash movie?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 PM
she would be the best casting,she has that bitchy look down pat.

i love hack/slash.the whole starts of kind of friday the 13th how she cassandra the only surviour and her mum then turns into a killer.

i hope this happens,unlike danger girl which never will

so your a big spiderman fan.what was it joe q said next year they`re gonna slowly work spiderman down to just one series and go back to the more old school vibe.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yorrick brown
so your a big spiderman fan.what was it joe q said next year they`re gonna slowly work spiderman down to just one series and go back to the more old school vibe.
lol i dunno, i more of an existing spidey fan then an upcoming spidey fan. For me the only cool stuff they've done with him lately was make him part of the New Avengers, his interaction with Iron Man and Luke Cage was always good. Strazinsky's (sp?) run on the book was decent, the whole Mystic side of it was interesting but the whole "man who's a Spider or Spider whos a Man" thing is getting old.

I'm a HUGE Venom fan (fuck you Grace) so my favourite Spidey time is my 100 issue chunk of Amazing Spider Man. I meen these 100 issues have some great stuff in them, 1st Venom and all his major appearences until recent years, Spidey's Infreno issues, Maximum Carnage and the Death of Aunt May ( i think the second time). It also has my Favortie artist Mark Bagely drawing about 50% of it and he's another reason i love reading Ultimate Spidey.
Maximum Carnage is my fav story and i was so happy when i finaly got the last issue i needed, i love some of hte covers for this story...

And

The only thing i didn't like about those issues was when Larson was drawing with his rediculous exageration style (in one page it looks like Doc Ock has 6 mechanical arms).

I just wish comics would get back to like they were in the 70's if they are going to have more then one title. The 8th Amazing Essential is where the first Spectacular Essential starts and they reference each other and anything else that might have happened to do with the character in other books recently with a little editors note in the corner. Theres stuff i see in the past years that i only understnad what they are referencing cause i've acctaully read that particular issue and such.

If they borught Spidey down to 1 title they had better have a damn good artist and writer doing it.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
i bet it will be j.michael stracynski doing spidey man but i don`t know who would do the art.

i think it might be j scott campbell and j loeb or j michael on second thought.as i know j scott campbell has signed with marvel.

i`m gonna be so sad when y the last man ends.i love it. loved the ending on the last issue "what!" this is his baby lol.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Quote:
i bet it will be j.michael stracynski doing spidey man but i don`t know who would do the art.

i think it might be j scott campbell and j loeb or j michael on second thought.as i know j scott campbell has signed with marvel.

i`m gonna be so sad when y the last man ends.i love it. loved the ending on the last issue "what!" this is his baby lol.
From what i heard i thought JMS was taking over F4 but i dunno. And holy shit i had completely forgotten about the Loeb/Campbell spidey book coming, that had better still happen i want MJ drawn Hot on a regular basis again, Romita Jr's art is to blockey and some of the recent artists haven't done a bad job of her but the way Campbell draws her...... damn (and yes MJ is my complete dream girl lol)

Heh unfortunately i don't know what you talking about with Y, i have only been collecting the trades, its up to book 9 unless 10 has come out and the last thing in 9 was the issues with the Theater group and the Ex-super model garbage lady
Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 PM
oops my bad i won`t say anymore about y.

j scott campbell knows how to draw woman lol.danger girl,gen13 .

hopefully it won`t be like wildersiders were he drew 3 issues then that was it and hopefully he can keep to his deadlines.i love his style .

i might have to check on aintitcoolnews.they had comic con news and one off it was that mark millar and bryan hitch were doing a year long f4

whos your favourite writer and penciller

Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 PM
My fave penciler is Mark Bagley. I jsut love the why he draw's Spidey and especially Venom. After Larson made Venom look stoopid with that horrible elongated jaw then Bagley comes in and completely brings him back to the McFarlanesque but more vicious looking.

He created Carnage which no matter how many ppl call him redundent he's a completely different character. There was one month back in the 90's where all 4 Spiderman titles had a fold out center pic. The Amazing one is this sweet Bagley wide shot with Spidey in the middle on a webline and Venom and Carnage Leaping at him, Gold.

He's the main reasin i read Ult Spiderman too. I read interviews whenre apparently he had come off of penciling Amazing for like 6 years and Marvel called him to do Ult Spiderman. He turned them dow 3 times and on the forht he gave in. he admitted his heart wasn't in it at first (he was sick of drawing webs apparently) but after the second arc or so he really got into it again. That plus the way the y colour the Ult stuff his art is awsome.

For a writer i dunno, i like a bunch of Frank Miller stuff (some Sin City, Give Me Liberty is my fav) and Watchmen is the best comic ever writen imo but i don't really have set writers although the early spider man stuff for being in the 60's and 70's was pretty good.

How about you?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I used to have alot. I got a couple good old comics that are still in plastic.

Im more into the graphic novels now though, like Walking Dead.

I also have Marvel Vs DC collection. And the entire Batman Vs Predator series.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by NuclearMisfit
I used to have alot. I got a couple good old comics that are still in plastic.

Im more into the graphic novels now though, like Walking Dead.

I also have Marvel Vs DC collection. And the entire Batman Vs Predator series.
heh funny thing is is that if i could i would have no issues and would just have a wall of Trades. I personally don't are of the value of my comics (well aside from Amazing #300 heh) and i only care about reading the story and looking at the art so if i could have all of my issues as trades i would.

Trades are better then issues for a couple reasons...

1. They are cheaper
2. Theres no Ads
3. Its much easier to handle when your out an about
4. Its always a whole story or story arc
5. THeres usually extras not found in he issues like sketches

the only things the issues are good for is that i hate having to wait 6 months for the next trade as opposed to the next month for the next issue (shakes fist at Y the Last Man)
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM
writer:brian k vaughan

art:either ed benes or j scott campbell
Old 08-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vesaker
heh funny thing is is that if i could i would have no issues and would just have a wall of Trades. I personally don't are of the value of my comics (well aside from Amazing #300 heh) and i only care about reading the story and looking at the art so if i could have all of my issues as trades i would.

1. They are cheaper
2. Theres no Ads

the only things the issues are good for is that i hate having to wait 6 months for the next trade as opposed to the next month for the next issue (shakes fist at Y the Last Man)
I agree big time, trades are def my thing when buying comics, i dont like something made of paper thats just gonna end up in a wad at the bottom of my closet! I want something thats gonna sit nicely on a shelf.

I hate waiting 6th months for the next trade to come out but to be honest with ya, I hate reading one issue then having to wait for it read another issue and wait, its a deadly cycle of comic book proportions
Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Quote:
writer:brian k vaughan

art:either ed benes or j scott campbell
Ed benes....... for the life of me i think of who that is, whats he penciled?

heh yeah i undertand waht you meen NM, it is a tough toss up between waiting the 6 months for a solid chunk or waiting monthly, heh i remeber when i started colecting Walking Dead at issue #25 (i have absolute Walking Dead so i started my issues at #25 ) and it was barely making bi-monthly schedual and it was killing me.

The only thing i can think of that i don't like about trades is when they don't put a break inbetween issues which for books like Walking Dead can kill the last page to first page of the next issue cliffhangers.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 PM
ed benes did the new justice league with brad meltzer.he also did birds of prey and gen13
Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
ahhh right that guy, not to informed on DC artists myself but i've seen his art before, i reconize the lips heh
Old 09-18-2007, 03:13 AM
Quote:

1. They are cheaper
2. Theres no Ads

I agree with the reasons you've listed here. I used to collect monthly titles for close to 12 years and I havent yet begun to properly catalogue my collection. but due to budget constraints, I found myself looking to TPBs, Collected Editions and Graphic Novels to satisfy my comic book urges. I got into the whole collected editions thing when I got The Absolute Sandman Vol 1. My latest infatuation would be the Fables series by Willingham (of course in TPB )
Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gaijin
I agree with the reasons you've listed here. I used to collect monthly titles for close to 12 years and I havent yet begun to properly catalogue my collection. but due to budget constraints, I found myself looking to TPBs, Collected Editions and Graphic Novels to satisfy my comic book urges. I got into the whole collected editions thing when I got The Absolute Sandman Vol 1. My latest infatuation would be the Fables series by Willingham (of course in TPB )
yeah my only reason to pick up issues over trades is i want to read the next part as soon as possible which isn't always good cause then i need to wait a month for hte next part anyways lol. Yeah my money has become tight sinceliving on my own and i can't buy issues anymore really but with the industry the way it is now i'll beable to find what i want in trades.

heh i've got Absolute Watchmen which is amazing and i have absolute Walking Dead which is the first 24 issues and its terrific too
Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Quote:
yeah my only reason to pick up issues over trades is i want to read the next part as soon as possible which isn't always good cause then i need to wait a month for hte next part anyways lol. Yeah my money has become tight sinceliving on my own and i can't buy issues anymore really but with the industry the way it is now i'll beable to find what i want in trades.

heh i've got Absolute Watchmen which is amazing and i have absolute Walking Dead which is the first 24 issues and its terrific too
Im intrigued by Walking Dead from reading your posts on it dude, I'm gonna try and pick it up soon. By the way, I have the Watchmen trade, Im thinking of getting the Absolute version but I wanted to ask you if its worth buying when I already have the Trade... nice extras and goodies in that thing? It aint gonna come cheap so I'm kinda not decided yet... whatdya think?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Im intrigued by Walking Dead from reading your posts on it dude, I'm gonna try and pick it up soon. By the way, I have the Watchmen trade, Im thinking of getting the Absolute version but I wanted to ask you if its worth buying when I already have the Trade... nice extras and goodies in that thing? It aint gonna come cheap so I'm kinda not decided yet... whatdya think?
First off..... READ WALKING DEAD lol

Second i believe there are atleast 2 different versions of Absolute Watchmen. From my understanding theres a $100 US one and a $150 US one and i have the former. I'm not really sure what more is in the $150 version but the $100 has some write ups in the back about the characters and how they were to orginally be existing DC characters (Dr Manhattan = The Atom etc) and i think some sketches.

Is it worth getting it if you already have the trade? Absolutely The big glossy pages let so see so much more of the detail in Gibbon's art. Some times when i read it i find my self starting at a page for a good 3 or 4 minutes just looking all the shit i didn't notice or think much of when i read it before. Gibbon's art and the colouring are so good and having the Absolute edition is like taking a crisp clear magnifing glass over everything.

It wasn't until i got the Absolute that i realized in the corner of a panel at the begining of the chapter where they unmask Rorschach that they acctually reveal who he is!

I deffinately recomend having both copies as you can read the regular trade on the go while you can read the Absolute in the comfort of your home
Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Quote:
First off..... READ WALKING DEAD lol

Second i believe there are atleast 2 different versions of Absolute Watchmen. From my understanding theres a $100 US one and a $150 US one and i have the former. I'm not really sure what more is in the $150 version but the $100 has some write ups in the back about the characters and how they were to orginally be existing DC characters (Dr Manhattan = The Atom etc) and i think some sketches.

Is it worth getting it if you already have the trade? Absolutely The big glossy pages let so see so much more of the detail in Gibbon's art. Some times when i read it i find my self starting at a page for a good 3 or 4 minutes just looking all the shit i didn't notice or think much of when i read it before. Gibbon's art and the colouring are so good and having the Absolute edition is like taking a crisp clear magnifing glass over everything.

It wasn't until i got the Absolute that i realized in the corner of a panel at the begining of the chapter where they unmask Rorschach that they acctually reveal who he is!

I deffinately recomend having both copies as you can read the regular trade on the go while you can read the Absolute in the comfort of your home
okay... you convinced me dude, on both Walking Dead and Watchmen thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Quote:
okay... you convinced me dude, on both Walking Dead and Watchmen thanks for the info.
Any time lol
Old 09-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Just started getting into comics recently. But I do have ALL the alien vs. predator vs. etc. comics. So like Batman vs. alien, batman vs. predator, and then all the alien vs. predator comics.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:55 PM
I have about three short boxes that are full of single issues, plus various trades. A pretty decent sized collection, but not huge. My highlights:

Entire Cerebus phonebook collection (16 volumes), plus about 40 single issues and various crossovers.

Entire run of Sam Kieth's The Maxx (1-34), plus several side issues.

Loads of Dark Horse miniseries: Aliens, Predator, Terminator, AvP, etc.

Frank Miller's Robocop (1-9)

Death's Head II from Marvel UK (1-13) - underrated and very funny.

Lobo minis: Lobo's Back, Infanticide, Unamerican Gladiators, etc. Used to be a huge Lobo fan till the monthly series ruined it.

About 70 issues of Furrlough from 40 to present.

Some of my favorite TBP:

Blacksad vol 1 & 2
The Crow
Pride of Baghdad
Circles
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by smok3h
Just started getting into comics recently. But I do have ALL the alien vs. predator vs. etc. comics. So like Batman vs. alien, batman vs. predator, and then all the alien vs. predator comics.
Yeah a buddy of mine collects those and they're pretty good, been a while since i've read them though.
Quote:
Originally posted by Badbird
Entire run of Sam Kieth's The Maxx (1-34), plus several side issues.

Frank Miller's Robocop (1-9)
I've been meening to pick the trade for hte Maxx for a while now, loved the cartoon. Sam Keith does a 2 issue spot, acctually the last to issues, of i think its lone Spider Man title. Its pretty crazy.

I still haven't read the RoboCop stuff but everyone's told me that its what RoboCop 2 should have been so i'm definately interested in reading it.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM
i suck i only have 2

The Crow and V For Vendetta

i do have a big comic book movie collection though
Old 09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post
i suck i only have 2

The Crow and V For Vendetta

i do have a big comic book movie collection though
Well i suggest Watchmen and Walking Dead for you to try out. Watchmen is written by Allan Moore (writer of V for Vendetta) and Walking Dead is just such a great comic in general.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:27 AM
wow sarah don`t well feel bad if you have only crow and v.alot i mean ALOT of people don`t have those comics.

ok thank you dc

hello supergirl kicked the living shit out off Karate Kid .

f--k you marvel

come on

ms marvel would lose a fight to tigra

come on,i know its a comic but hello ms marvel can lifted 70 tons + and .....whatever
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM
LoL Ms Marvel would destroy Tigra
Old 09-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I still haven't read the RoboCop stuff but everyone's told me that its what RoboCop 2 should have been so i'm definately interested in reading it.
It's based on Miller's original version of the script, supposedly. It's actually a mess of a comic book. The filmmakers were wise to make changes. But the cover artwork is cool.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Not too big at all, MAYBE 25-30 haha. But I shall be hitting up the comic book store shortly so hopefully that changes. Just always lose my focus on getting into comics with work and the likes.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCoRyX View Post
Not too big at all, MAYBE 25-30 haha. But I shall be hitting up the comic book store shortly so hopefully that changes. Just always lose my focus on getting into comics with work and the likes.
yeah i know what you meen, another thing is just finding where you want to start even. Myself i decided that i wanted to get all of Maximum Carnage cause i love Venom and to a slightly lesser extent Carnage. So thats what started it and then i found out more about Spider Man and the titles and where they fit and then since i could understand it i wanted to start collecting them.

Most of my stuff is acctaully been found in 25 cet bins or when shops would have 50% off back issue sales to clear out some space and such. But hte bulk of my solid runs of the spiderman titles i really owe to my Uncle who was collecting the issues the time they were coming out.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 AM
ive amassed around 2.5k of comics, but not to many trades, tho i do have the hardback of watchmen and a signed arkum asylum. Most of the comics are xmen, conan and a dark knight phase! I was there when Superman died, Batman broke his back and that idiot Guy Gardner took over from the great Hal Jordan.
Kudos to he who loves Lobo, one of my favs to.