Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 AM
The 9th Configuration

The ninth configuration
written and directed by William Petter Blatty
genre; theological thriller

Does god Exist? Seems very fashionable to say no, and that religion is merely a way of controlling the week masses. Well this is the main theme that runs through this Blatty's (Author of the Exorsist) directorial debut.
Set in a Gothic castle(that was transplanted from Germany to America) A distant and passive man, Hudson Kane, arrives to assume his new position as psychiatrist in a home for possible lunatic marines. Using an experimental form of therapy that involves complete access between him and his patients and elaborate role plays, he becomes particularly close to one patient, an astronaut Capt. Billy Cutshaw, whose atheist angst led him to seek refuse in insanity rather than face his fear of traveling to the moon. He challenges Kane to show him one example of altruistic (genuinely unselfish) behavior by a human that to him would prove that god exists. Kane proposes 'if you think gods dead because of all the evil in the world how do you account for the good?'

This film is one of the best films I have ever seen, the sets are fantastic, the atmosphere and performances are outstanding and every moment is visually stunning. It shifts effortlessly between farce and thriller, it packs as many laughs as it does punches, one of the inmates played by Jason Miller(of the exorcist) is trying to transcribe Shakespeare plays for dogs. Its also blend the bounds of sane and sanity and has some brilliantly sereal moments. The search of a truly altruistic act to prove the existence of God in face of the Evils of the world is played out to great effect and Stacy Keach, Kane,
and Scott Wilson, Capt. Billy Cutshaw, work outstandingly well together.

10/10
Old 10-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Only seen this once so far (a number of years ago), I should really dig out the video and give it a look or even buy it on dvd. I really liked The Ninth Configuration, I remember it being a rather odd experience to watch and found some of the scenes and the atmosphere in the film to be very strange at times. Some great performances and visuals too.

9/10
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
i love this film. period.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
sounds good.did you view it on dvd or is it only on video.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah it's available on DVD.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:02 PM
yeah its on dvd not a great transfer a film that needs remastering
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 AM
tease.you write this great review for a movie i can`t find.then your friend cronos rubbs salt in by backing up how great this movie is.

so what happened to the other 8 configurations?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 AM

whoops

Last edited by drugs and hugs; 11-09-2007 at 03:22 AM..
Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 AM
sounds awesome.may`be santa will give it to me for been good.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah this is probably in my alltime top 10...an atmospheric GEM with the best bar-room brawl bar none. Stacy Keach is amazing and Roy is right...it's begging to be remastered!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
i'd try amazon
Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Yeah this is probably in my alltime top 10...an atmospheric GEM with the best bar-room brawl bar none. Stacy Keach is amazing and Roy is right...it's begging to be remastered!
That bar brawl was so tense and that guy with the mascara scared the piss out of me, he also looks a lot like that one character on the Simpsons, heheh.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Sounds great - I love this kind of stuff. I'll have to start searching around for a copy of it! Thanks for the review.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 AM
I actually got this on DVD a couple of years ago through Columbia House. And according to a recent search on their website, it's still available.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Lol, maybe I'm nuts, but I actually found this quite disappointing. It sounded amazing, but was actually a bore (to me).
Oh well.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman476 View Post
Lol, maybe I'm nuts, but I actually found this quite disappointing. It sounded amazing, but was actually a bore (to me).
Oh well.
I'm with you. This is such a hard to find movie and it seems everyone who has seen it simply adores it.

I sought it out for years and when I finally subscribed to Netflix, it was one of my first three rentals. That turned out to be a mistake. I thought it was okay, but nothing struck me as great besides Scott Wilson's performance. It was chock full of underwritten characters spewing overwritten dialogue. Pretty bland most of the way and then concludes with a silly, unimpressive ending.

5/10
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
I'm with you. This is such a hard to find movie and it seems everyone who has seen it simply adores it.

I sought it out for years and when I finally subscribed to Netflix, it was one of my first three rentals. That turned out to be a mistake. I thought it was okay, but nothing struck me as great besides Scott Wilson's performance. It was chock full of underwritten characters spewing overwritten dialogue. Pretty bland most of the way and then concludes with a silly, unimpressive ending.

5/10
I'm glad to have someone on my side.

Anyway, it took me a while to get it too. Before I had Netflix, it was never in rental stores, so (after Netflix), I just decided to buy it. Big mistake that was. I mean the dialogue just wasn't piercing.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it was a sillier version of the Dirty Dozen (stylistically at least). I was expecting Looney Tunes meets One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. :/
Old 12-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Its kind of a comedy, kinda of a psychological thriller, its hard to define but amazing and unique, and never dull. 10/10

"THAT MAN TREATS CROCODILES FOR ACNE!"

The acting is of the highest talent. Scott Wilson was incredibly versitile, offering one of the great comedy performances of all-time, but then showing incredible gift to portray sadness, and always with humanity. Stacy Keach, as Kane, kicks so much ass its too numerous to enumerate. The rest of the cast are mostly familiar and are mostly brightening the atmosphere with harmless and colorful madness.

*nammack dressed as superman* - "I'M GOING TO PERU"

What struck me the most was the film's message, which can be identified within Cutshaw's interpretation of Hamlet. Whether the inmates are actually crazy or not is irrelevant. The point is that some people find comfort in their imagination, whether it be dressing up like Superman, or casting a Shakespeare play with canines, or finding an object and believing its a spiritual sign sent from above. Comfort and happiness are sometimes hard to find in reality, but we can always rely on our imagination.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Is anything like the litmus configuration?
Cuz I know how to do that.