Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
MARVEL COMICS TO GO ONLINE

vertigo comics does this for free but sadly only on the first issues.

Spider-Man moves to new web as Marvel comics go online
11:18AM Wednesday November 14, 2007
By Robert MacMillan

Spider-Man has moved to the world wide web with Marvel's new comics online website.
NEW YORK - Spider-Man may spin a good yarn in comic books, but Marvel Entertainment Inc hopes that he finds the world wide web equally comfortable.

The publisher said that it will start a website that will feature access to thousands of its comic books and the famous heroes who populate them, from Spider-Man and the X-Men to the Fantastic Four and The Avengers.

Marvel will charge subscriptions - $US4.99 ($6.55) a month if people sign up for a year, or $9.99 a month if they don't.

"This is a major new piece of my overall publishing plan," Dan Buckley, president of Marvel Publishing, said in an interview.

"It's a different entertainment experience, online versus reading a book."

Marvel plans to offer access to 2,500 comics, Buckley said. It will make 250 available for free to entice people to pay up, but for a limited time, a company statement explained.

The Digital Comics Unlimited site then will add 20 additional books a week, including a mix of new and vintage comics.

AdvertisementAmong the older titles will be the first 100 issues of "Amazing Spider-Man" and "The Fantastic Four," as well as the initial 66-issue run of "Uncanny X-Men" and the first 50 issues of "The Avengers." It will feature other super heroes like the Incredible Hulk, Wolverine and the Silver Surfer.

It will also include the first appearances of villains Dr. Octopus, Sandman, Lizard and Dr. Doom, not to mention the first appearance of Spider-Man's black costume.

New titles will include Joss Whedon's "Astonishing X-Men," "The House of M," "Young Avengers" and "Runaways."

To present the titles in a quality format, Marvel has recoloured and redigitised some of its offerings.

The move to the internet is unlikely to account for a major portion of Marvel Publishing's sales, Buckley said, but it will be an important addition.

It sells its magazines at newsstands, though he said the business has been contracting in the past 10 years. What has been performing well is the hobby business, he said, with some 2,500 shops across the companies that attract collectors and other fans.

Titles must be in print for at least six months before they will go online, Buckley said.

Marvel's move runs contrary to newspaper and magazine publishers, which have been moving toward not charging people and supporting themselves through advertising.

Buckley said the nature of the content is what makes Marvel's plan different.

"Our comic book distribution and our comic book properties aren't part of the mass medium where you can it for free easily," he said.

Dennis Webb, owner of the Comics and Cards Collectorama in Alexandria, Virginia, doubted that it would attract a mass audience used to reading and collecting their comics in print.

"I think most of them like to buy their own comics and read them where they want to go," he said.

"I don't think they want to have it just online because if they're really a collector, they're going to want the actual collection."
Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 PM

Great news, and a great way to get this stuff to people who've never read it before...
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
this will be cool as long as this does not deter to production of Trades. I personally can't stand reading comics on a computer screen, hurts my head. Not to mention if you say wanted to read a 6 issues arc you would have to do it sitting at your computer and not doing anything else really so this will definately be a thing for ppl with laptops.

It will be interesting to see what they put up there though, whether it will be straight consecutive issues, runs of writers or just Iconic stories.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
As a collector my concern is a depreciation of key issues. You see it all the time with trade paper backs and reprints. I'm not talking a big drop, but in some lesser $10-$100 valued titles and lower grade copies of silver age books they could go down by 20-50% over night (especially real low grade “reading” copies). Half of collecting is just saying you have it; the other half is watching it increase in value.

I’m not against the web publishing, just throwing out a potential down side.

Last edited by Kings-Rook1; 11-14-2007 at 07:05 PM..
Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Read about this earlier, interesting news, I'll definitely give it a look, be interesting to read some of the early ones.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings-Rook1 View Post
As a collector my concern is a depreciation of key issues. You see it all the time with trade paper backs and reprints. I'm not talking a big drop, but in some lesser $10-$100 valued titles and lower grade copies of silver age books they could go down by 20-50% over night (especially real low grade “reading” copies). Half of collecting is just saying you have it; the other half is watching it increase in value.

I’m not against them the web publishing, just throwing out a potential down side.
this doesn't make any sense to me. i thought the thing about collecting the first printings is to say that you have the first printing and i don't see how later printings would bring down the value as its not the first printing. The only reason i could see this happening is if there were no other printings of issues and to just read the story in general you would have to get one, but otherwise i don't understand how 2nd printings, Trades and online comics could bring down a first printing's value.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
this doesn't make any sense to me. i thought the thing about collecting the first printings is to say that you have the first printing and i don't see how later printings would bring down the value as its not the first printing. The only reason i could see this happening is if there were no other printings of issues and to just read the story in general you would have to get one, but otherwise I don't understand how 2nd printings, Trades and online comics could bring down a first printing's value.
I hear what your saying and I'd like to think that key fist prints in good shape shouldn’t (for the most part), but lesser quality copies and non-key issues very well could be affected. In my experience I have seen dips in value when a trades come out. Some major some minor but almost always Oversteet states a dip. Collecting is one part, but just getting a chance to read it is another.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm very intrigued, I think its a wonderful idea.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings-Rook1 View Post
I hear what your saying and I'd like to think that key fist prints in good shape shouldn’t (for the most part), but lesser quality copies and non-key issues very well could be affected. In my experience I have seen dips in value when a trades come out. Some major some minor but almost always Oversteet states a dip. Collecting is one part, but just getting a chance to read it is another.

hmm interesting, i know that pert of the whole reason they are worth something is cause there's so few copies around so i can see how a trade or these online comics could affect the value. I guess i jsut figured that the collector circle was really precises on what was worth stuff so i figured that that stuff wouldn't factor in.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
hmm interesting, i know that pert of the whole reason they are worth something is cause there's so few copies around so i can see how a trade or these online comics could affect the value. I guess i jsut figured that the collector circle was really precises on what was worth stuff so i figured that that stuff wouldn't factor in.
If the only copy available is a single printing then that would be rarer and more valuable to collectors. Trades make the material available again and the original is not unique anymore aside from it being the first printing. But enough on that; after thinking about it I am curious to check it out when titles become available. I’m with ya in regards to reading them on the computer. It just doesn’t seem right.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
i think its a dumb idea.for me personally i love sitting on my bed reading comics or laying on the ground.flipping thru the pages ,having a good look at the art.

also like kings-rook1 said about value i argee.also my top comics are gonna lose value if everyone is able to get hold of them.

but on the flip said.dc comics should do this for 'countdown' that comic is hard to keep up with.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:03 PM

good points...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM
To get a feel for it over at Marvel.com there are 250 free comics to check out.