Old 01-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Civil War stupidity

its ocurred to me now that Marvel fucked up the lay out of Civil War form a 'ease to read' stand point.

Now that the story is over unless you want to track down issues you of course have to settle for trades, which normally would be fine. But with Civil war they really fucked it up.

First off if your not gonig to have a 3rd party #ing system for a huge ass cross over that ties in more then 10+ monthly books while also having a self crossover title limited serise at the same time then theres gonig to be confusion. I meen i know they did this with stuff like Inferno but it was still a X-men centric story with other book simply being effected by whats going on.

I know every issue is clearly labeled that its a Civil War issue but the fact that the story pretty much unfolds in issue release date order how the hell are ppl gonig to read the trades and make sense of everything thats going on.

I thought of this cause i have a friend who is getting more and more into comics and wanted to read the Civil War stuff. So he has bought Civil War, Road to Civil War and Civil War Front Line while not being aware that by the time you've read those that there are about 75+ issues of story intercutting with them.

How are you supposed to read this in Trade format!?! Just have all the trades each with their own book mark and a chrono list of the isseues on hand? i meen atleast with the actual issues you just need the check list once then actaully orginize them in the proper order and then read away, but with trades i can't see this as anything but a hassle.

Well Marvel way to make it more difficult for the average person to get into your super hyped/universe altering story, i meen even DC was smart with 52 in that regardless of issues or trades theres only one easily determined order to read it in.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
"Civil War" really made me scratch my noggin in confusion. Looking back now it was all just really silly. I refer to the amount of tie-ins when I say that.

And it's not even completely over yet is it?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
"Civil War" really made me scratch my noggin in confusion. Looking back now it was all just really silly. I refer to the amount of tie-ins when I say that.

And it's not even completely over yet is it?
no as far as i know its over, they were releasing the last one shots and such as World War Hulk was picking up steam i believe, and yeah way too many bloody tie ins, especially when half way through they started adding more, i'm pretty sure the reintroduction of Captain Marvel was an add on but i'm not sure.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Grrr. Damn the summer events! Arrg!

Oh and I hated Tony Stark/Iron Man before, but now I REALLY think he's a douche. -shrug-
Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 AM
Well, my advice would be to simply ignore all of the side series and just worry the single, six-issue, easy to follow CIVIL WAR trade, which is actually a fairly decent read.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Well, my advice would be to simply ignore all of the side series and just worry the single, six-issue, easy to follow CIVIL WAR trade, which is actually a fairly decent read.
Well personally you need Civil War, Civil War Spider Man and Civil War Fantastic Four for most all the major happenings i think.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Eh, I just read the main trade, and I feel I got the most out of the story that I needed to.

Thumbing through the Spiderman Civil War tie-ins, it didn't seem like I was missing a lot.

The only other CW tie-in I bought or read was Cable / Deadpool: Paved With Good Intentions.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Marvel sucks.

..and now, Spider-man being unmasked has been completely erased from everyones minds.

So much for "long lasting effects".

Captain America is going to tuirn out to be a skrull!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Marvel sucks.

..and now, Spider-man being unmasked has been completely erased from everyones minds.

So much for "long lasting effects".

Captain America is going to tuirn out to be a skrull!
or one better, this whole time..... the person in the Iron Man aromor is really Cap!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM
That would be especially weird after "Civil War: The Confession" (Is that what it's called? I haven't picked that issue up in awhile.)
Old 01-17-2008, 07:50 AM
I really wanted to read the Civil War comics but i missed out on alot of comics so i decided not to unless they come out with a huge trade.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMisfit View Post
I really wanted to read the Civil War comics but i missed out on alot of comics so i decided not to unless they come out with a huge trade.
heh yeah that would be nice but it woudl be a bitch to carry around as its over 80 issues of core and tie in content :P, i think the closest thing to it would be the Morrison X-Men hard cover which has his entire run in a since book. Good lord i could just see a Bendis/Bagely edition Ultimate Spider Man book of all 106 issues they did together lol.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Quote:
heh yeah that would be nice but it woudl be a bitch to carry around as its over 80 issues of core and tie in content :P,
You know what's a bitch to carry around? Absolute Watchmen. I can't even imagine trying to carry the complete Civil War collection.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
You know what's a bitch to carry around? Absolute Watchmen. I can't even imagine trying to carry the complete Civil War collection.
heh yeah it is a bitch to carry it around and i suggest finding an old Laptop satchel as it seems to fit well in those lol. But personally i just steal my buddies paper back when i want to read nad only pull out my Absolute when i want to get a really good look at the art, or if i sit at home and read it
Old 01-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah that's what I've been doing. I got the paperback for Christmas some time ago.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Well personally you need Civil War, Civil War Spider Man and Civil War Fantastic Four for most all the major happenings i think.
I got the main issues. Then got the Spidey and FF trades as well. I also reccommend Civil War: The Return and The Conffession. I picked up a random Wolverine, Avengers, and a few others. They really didnt add anything to the whole story.

In the end I thought Civil War was a good read. I liked World War Hulk alot better though.