Old 05-25-2003, 11:38 PM
College Football...the sport of kings

Alright, we must now discuss College Football, my favorite sport, and I have yet to see a thread about it (except the Miami going to ACC one). I just must say that I am a die-hard Florida State Seminoles fan, best team ever. Bobby Bowden is the best coach ever. The past couple years they have really struggled, especially against the lesser teams that should be no problem. But the new season in a few months will be a fresh new start. I mostly just care about beating the Gators (like we did this year ).

So...who's your fav team? Who do you think will win it all this year? Isn't the BCS a corrupt system? etc...

Last edited by RicochetShaw; 09-21-2003 at 08:34 PM..
Old 05-25-2003, 11:49 PM
I love the Big 10 and I live and die with last year's Big 10 co-champs the Iowa Hawkeyes. We've got three months before the start of the season and I cant wait! It's not going to be walk in the park like last year for my beloved Hawks however, they lost 4/5 of their offensive line and also Banks, Clark, and Jones. The whole Big Ten has revenge on their mind and will be out to get them. Defense should be good however as they only lost 3 starters off that unit. If they can repeat last years performance I would be shocked, the schedule makers didn't do them any favors either, they lose Indiana and Northwestern and pick up Ohio State and Illinois. There's a real question mark at the qb position also, junior college transfer Nathan Chandler looks like he's gonna get the nod, he's a senior who sat behind Banks last year.

I could talk college football all day long and we got three months to speculate, I was gonna eventually open a college football thread, but was gonna wait until the season approached but this is even better.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:53 AM
Re: College Football...the sport of kings

Quote:
Originally posted by RicochetShaw

So...who's your fav team? Who do you think will win it all this year? Isn't the BCS a corrupt system? etc...
I'm a Canes fan. This year is hard to pick, I think there are 4 or 5 teams that have a shot at the title. Let me be the first to say it, but Auburn will make a run at the title. The BCS has made big improvements, but they still have a long way to go. I personally think they should have a seeding system as in college basketball so they can have a playoff system.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:33 AM
Re: College Football...the sport of kings

Quote:
The past couple years they have really struggled,
Expect it to continue this year. MD and NC State will finish ahead of FSU and Virginia could possibly be ahead of them also.

Last edited by Munson; 05-26-2003 at 12:57 PM..
Old 05-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Like PapaJupe I'm all about the Big 10, but I am fan on only the greatest team on earth, The Michigan Wolverines. This year should be a really exciting year. UM, OSU, and PSU (though they lost a lot) should make for an exciting 3 team race this year. It really looks like it could come down to the final big showdown in november just like back in the days of Bo and Woody.

I think the BCS is an improvement, but the addition of a playoff system will only result in as many arguments. People will then bitch about the seedings and who got left out and all that just like they do with the NCAA tournament. I don't buy the arguments about taking kids out of school for too long. At this point the season already starts almost a month before school actually starts, plus Div II and III do it with no problem. Plus basketball players lose a whole lot more on campus time than football players do. It's all about money being tied up in the bowl games. I am a traditionalist who loves the bowl games, but I still think something different could be done.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:44 PM
My favorite team is Michigan State. I'm not really expecting much out of them this year, just improvement on last year, which hopefully won't be too hard to beat. I'm hoping the new coach will be able to turn the program around. At the beginning of the season last year I had such high hopes for them and they just crashed b/c of injuries and their QB Smoker.

I think that Florida or Florida State will win the championship next year. Florida will win if Chris Leak their blue chip freshman QB plays and does good. I think Florida will be a really good team in a couple of years with him as their quarterback.

I think that they should go to a 8 or 10 team playoff system and the teams are ranked in the playoffs based on their overall rankings from the season by all the polls and average those together, not strength of schedule or any of that b/c the voters will have thought of that when they vote, but just the average of the polls.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:41 PM
I suppose I'm the Pac-10 delegate since I live on the west coast...although I'm sure Greb will want to pitch in as well.

I look into my crystal ball and what do I see? The Oregon Ducks will once again prove to be NO threat to the rest of the Pac-10 conference, or to any other conference, for that matter. 80 million dollars was spent building additional seating at the stadium here in Eugene in anticipation of infinite glory. Well, the glory ended once Joey Harrington graduated, the Ducks are right back to where they were before they had that one glorious year. In my opinion, that was 80 million dollars down the toilet.

I'm not expecting any greatness from my alma mater, the Univ. of Washington, either this year. I think one of the California teams (USC) will be at the top, or maybe one of the Arizona teams. As to who will win it ALL...one of the east coast teams. That's as good as my predicting gets.

I don't really have a favorite team, btw, but I do hate the Wazzoo Cougars with a passion. I have to...I'm a Husky.

Last edited by Morgana; 05-26-2003 at 07:05 PM..
Old 05-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by marooned

I think that Florida or Florida State will win the championship next year. Florida will win if Chris Leak their blue chip freshman QB plays and does good.

Championship of what? They certainly aren't going to win the college football national championship. Florida is going to be worse than last year. They probably won't start the year off ranked and they probably won't finish the year ranked either. FSU will be better than Florida but IMO will finish 3rd in the ACC this year.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:42 PM
I agree with you that they probably wont start the year off ranked, but if Chris Leak starts and plays up to his ability then I think they'll come close to the national championship. Sure they lost a lot of defense, Rex Grossman, and Tyler Jacobs, but I still think they'll do good next year and at least finish in the top 15.

I think FSU will finish first or second (depending on if Miami joins ACC and if they do this year or not). If Miami doesn't join at all or this year then I think FSU will finish first as long as they stick with Chris Rix.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:17 AM
I am and always will be a big Michigan fan (even though I go to another Michigan college...no, not MSU). GO BLUE!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by screamer581
I am and always will be a big Michigan fan (even though I go to another Michigan college...no, not MSU). GO BLUE!

Kool, remember a couple years ago....Orange Bowl New Year's Day? Michigan vs Alabama? I was there, great game! Back when Tom Brady was the QB.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by marooned
I agree with you that they probably wont start the year off ranked, but if Chris Leak starts and plays up to his ability then I think they'll come close to the national championship. Sure they lost a lot of defense, Rex Grossman, and Tyler Jacobs, but I still think they'll do good next year and at least finish in the top 15.
I agree with you about Chris Leak. I think he'll be a good one. He just doesn't have the talent around him to be a contender in the SEC this year. Florida had a great recruiting class this year so maybe in a year or two they'll be competing for the NC again.

Quote:

I think FSU will finish first or second (depending on if Miami joins ACC and if they do this year or not). If Miami doesn't join at all or this year then I think FSU will finish first as long as they stick with Chris Rix.
It's impossible for Miami to join the ACC this year. If they join it would probably be next year. As far as FSU goes, I don't completly eliminate them from winning the ACC. But, I think MD, NC State, and possibly Virginia will be better than them this year. I could see FSU finishing anywhere between 1st - 4th in the ACC. I'm predicting 3rd for them. Ever since Amato left they have been going down hill and I think it will continue this year.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Kool, remember a couple years ago....Orange Bowl New Year's Day? Michigan vs Alabama? I was there, great game! Back when Tom Brady was the QB.

Yes I do remember, very good game. You are a lucky man to be able to have been there!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:31 PM
'nuff said
Old 05-27-2003, 07:23 PM
I guess I will be the Conference USA/mid-major representative.

As an alum of the University of Houston, I am a diehard Coogs fan. Hopefully we get to .500 this year and get a bowl game. Our QB (depending if he gets the starting job) is like a young Andre Ware (college days, not NFL). We have a brand new coach who is an offensive guru. I can't wait for the season to start (although that means school starts again).

Hey screamer, we play the wolverines this year at the Big House. Please don't kill us too bad.

Go Coogs!!! Here's planning for a trip to the Liberty Bowl.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:06 PM
I like Miami (florida) and MSU. And whoever is playing Notre Dame, because I fucking despise Notre Lame.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnoyingQuestionAsker

Hey screamer, we play the wolverines this year at the Big House. Please don't kill us too bad.

I promise nothing.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnoyingQuestionAsker
I guess I will be the Conference USA/mid-major representative.

As an alum of the University of Houston, I am a diehard Coogs fan. Hopefully we get to .500 this year and get a bowl game. Our QB (depending if he gets the starting job) is like a young Andre Ware (college days, not NFL). We have a brand new coach who is an offensive guru.
Hey AnnoyingQuestionAsker (love that username ) I'm turning the tables on you and asking an annoying question of my own. Who's the new coach down there and where did he come from? If you guys have a qb that's anywhere near the quality that Andre Ware was, the Cougars should definately make some noise in C-USA, I don't think there is really a standout team in the conference.

I can remember those days when Ware played and Houston was one of the best teams nationally, but probation hit pretty hard if I recall and they've really never been the same. That run and shoot offense was pretty tough to stop.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PapaJupe2k

I can remember those days when Ware played and Houston was one of the best teams nationally, but probation hit pretty hard if I recall and they've really never been the same. That run and shoot offense was pretty tough to stop.
It annoys me so much when I see programs get into trouble that way. It's as if they don't think, it's not worth losing the tradition of the school for a few recruits. Teams like SMU and Houston have never been the same. Even my team, Miami (FL), got into some minor trouble, but they were able to rebound.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moviefan1234
It annoys me so much when I see programs get into trouble that way. It's as if they don't think, it's not worth losing the tradition of the school for a few recruits. Teams like SMU and Houston have never been the same. Even my team, Miami (FL), got into some minor trouble, but they were able to rebound.
My UW Huskies were sanctioned as well...back in the 90's, and they haven't been the same. In the early 90's they went to the Rose Bowl several times (they won twice), and then they were slapped on the wrists, and they haven't been the same since. It was just a huge scandal at the time, the head coach resigned...they just weren't able to shake that off.

I worked for the UW athletic department for one summer while I was still going to school...there's a shitload of money in college football. Shitloads of money usually (but not necessarily) means corruption. There's also the hunger for prestige to be known as the best college football program in the country. Some schools have just crossed the line in pursuing that prestige. At any rate, there's politics and corruption within the athletic departments, I really couldn't see myself working for the athletic department for longer than that one summer. What I had learned was enough for me.

College football is entertaining, but I'd rather not know any of the behind-the-scenes stuff if I want to enjoy it. I follow the football, but none of the politics these days. Or at least I try not to. Some of these huge scandals, you can't help hearing about them one way or another.

Last edited by Morgana; 05-28-2003 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-28-2003, 08:21 PM
A writer for ESPN put his top 25 on the website, heres the link

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/maisel_ivan/1559503.html

What do you guys think about it? I'm suprised by Virginia being number 8!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm surprised Texas is number 7, that team is a joke!
Old 05-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Washington Huskies at no. 18? These people are more optimistic than I am.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:44 AM
Michigan at number 5 hey? Hmm, sounds about right. I do think they are going to kick some Buckeye butt this year...though they should have won in the first place last year.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Morgana
In the early 90's they went to the Rose Bowl several times (they won twice)
Yep they sure did! 1991- Washington 46 Iowa 34 highest scoring Rose Bowl ever I believe. Yeah I can just imagine all the BS that goes on behind the scenes in college athletics, I dont even want to know really.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:44 AM
It's nice to see the Canes at #2. They definately have the hunger to win it all again after last year. Is it me or is it strange seeing Oklahoma State in the top 25. I know it's an improving program, but it's odd seeing them there.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PapaJupe2k
[B]Who's the new coach down there and where did he come from? If you guys have a qb that's anywhere near the quality that Andre Ware was, the Cougars should definately make some noise in C-USA, I don't think there is really a standout team in the conference.

Art Briles is the new coach. He coached high school out in West Texas at Stephenville High School. The past few years he has been an assistant coach at Texas Tech.

As for the QB situation, I have just recently found out they there are some injury and transferring questions that have no answers right now. Nealy does not have the arm strength of Ware, but he was exciting to watch until the ACL injury last year.

As for C-USA, Cincy looks to be the team to beat while it should be interesting to see who steps up this year (Louisville lost their QB, coach and others).
Old 05-31-2003, 01:28 PM
Living in Mississippi there really isn't a team to root for. We've got three big teams, Miss. State, Ole Miss, and Southern Miss. I live 20 minutes away from Southern Miss, and have season tickets to their games. But they're not the team I root for.

I'm still undecided.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:49 AM
Big 12 is the best conference around. No doubt. I used to think it was the SEC, but now the Big 12 has taken a step above the rest in college football, and basketball wasn't too shabby this season either.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:12 AM
I can't believe I haven't replied to this yet (considering Ricchochet and I have many IM conversations about it)!

I love college football, it's very exciting and in some ways is better than the NFL. I have spent many Saturdays in the fall watching games, and I have watched for 10 hours straight many times before (12pm-10pm). I root for Penn St. and Notre Dame, since I've grown up watching their games every Saturday afternoon. I seriously hope that ND does as well as it did last year, but without the fallout like the end of last year. As for PSU, JoePa has the victory record now, but other than that, I don't know much about the team.

As for the teams I most hate, they are Nebraska and the three Florida teams (Miami, Florida, FSU). Sometimes you just get sick of these guys winning year after year. I was so happy when OSU beat Miami (even though that call was wrong) last year. If this year's Championship Game (Sugar Bowl I think) is half as good as that, I'll be impressed.

One more thing, FUCK THE BCS! (Although it wasn't too bad last year)
Old 06-10-2003, 09:05 AM
It always humors me when people bring up the fact that the Florida teams dominate every year so they don't like them. In the 80's PSU and ND were like that, but there weren't complaining.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:39 AM
I agree Benny, I hate the Florida teams as well. I don't mind Florida as much now that Spurrier's gone. I loved it the year (1995?), it was before they instated overtime, when Spurrier and Bowden played to a 31-31 tie. Ha! Pucker up and kiss you sister's boys, no one won.

What would you do to try to improve the BCS? I don't really know for sure. I think they have to take a look at the "Notre Dame clause". Boy it's a good thing you didn't see my post in the "teams that you hate" thread . Hehehehehe!

I also spend my Saturday's in the fall hanging out watching college football. I like it better than the pros, just because of the exciting environments and all the different teams. The day starts with some aspirin to cure the hangover and College Gameday at 9:30 central time. 11:00 it's usually the Raycom Big Ten Game of the Week or ESPN. 2:30 it's on to ABC for regional coverage of the second Big Ten game. By 6:00 I'm watching the highlight shows and ready to hit the town again. Why wont September hurry up and get here.

Last edited by PapaJupe2k; 06-10-2003 at 11:44 AM..
Old 06-10-2003, 02:54 PM
As a remedy to the BCS, how about setting up 8 super conferences of 12 teams each (getting rid of the other 20 Division 1A teams that don't deserve to be at this level [I am looking in your general direction Louisiana Lafayette and Louisiana Monroe]). Now you break each of those conferences into divisions and have a conference championship like the SEC has now. The 12 winners of those games play in a playoff. Since your 11 games will be against your own conference, there is no real strength of schedule problems necessary for a ranking system. The rest of the teams can then play bowl games since they help for team revenue and recruitment. What do you all think?
Old 06-10-2003, 03:12 PM
That doesn't sound too bad. I agree you should get the Arkansas St.'s and the La Monroe's out of the mix. With no flexibility in scheduling however, some of the key traditional rivalries would probably be lost. Strength of schedule would vary a little bit however, but it wouldn't be such a concern that it is now.

The thing that blows my mind about this SOS business is this. For an example, last year Iowa played Michigan who was in the top 10 BCS at the time. They blew 'em out (sorry bmain ) and Michigan dropped out of the top 10 BCS and therefore with Iowa beating them so bad, they failed to earn any additional points. I guess a one point win would have been better in the BCS's eyes.

Getting back to the original question, it doesn't sound bad at all except for the point about traditional rivalries.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:00 PM
I don't think there should be more than 9 teams in every conference. I know that this is a radical idea, and the big conferences are good because of the championship games and yadda yadda yadda, but I think that every team in the conference should play each other, it just makes sense. Last year, OSU and Iowa did not play each other, and they both went undefeated in the Big 10. It would have been much easier to determine a clear champion that way. Let's say that there are 12 conferences of 9, then the 12 teams plus 4 wild cards can play in a 16-team playoff system.

If this idea doesn't work, then I think Notre Dame should join the Big 10, football only. Sure the conferece would have to change their name (I like Midwest 12), but it would make the league uber-competitive and erase the Notre Dame BCS problem. It would also mean a championship game for the league and two divisions, like this:

EAST:
Michigan
OSU
PSU
MSU
Purdue
Indiana

WEST:
Illinois
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Old 06-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PapaJupe2k

What would you do to try to improve the BCS? I don't really know for sure. I think they have to take a look at the "Notre Dame clause". Boy it's a good thing you didn't see my post in the "teams that you hate" thread . Hehehehehe!
I did.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Dont take it personally Benny. I was rambling about the image of superiority that gets projected to the rest of the country. ND has a great tradition and is a great football institution. I even watch some of the games on NBC, it's nothing personal.

Go ahead and come back on me with some Iowa hick jokes, it's all good.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Rick Neuheisel to be fired from UW for getting in an NCAA basketball tourney pool. That's seems like an awfully minor thing, it is an NCAA rule, and his track record is not good. He's an excellent coach and seems like a nice guy, getting fired over something like that is just stupid. Is this the last straw in a line of offenses or are they trying to make an example out of him?

Too bad for the players. Yes Morgana they could have challenged for the Pac-10 title. This is terrible considering how close it is to the season.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:58 PM
I like Neuheisel a lot, but he broke a rule and he should be fired. As much as I respect and like the guy, rules are made for a reason. But, how long do you think he'll stay unemployed? Are schools going to be afraid to hire him now? Or will he make the jump to the NFL?
Old 07-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Jim Tressel sang "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" yesterday at Wrigley. This got me fired up for college football again. I wonder what he'll be singing when the Hawks march into the "Shoe" and score a huge victory this fall. Haven't won their since '91, but that's gonna change.

Less than 2 months people, I don't know if I can hold out.