Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm not going to not talk about an event that already happened. If you dont want to be spoiled then use common logic and dont come on the forums.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I agree...If a person doesn't want something they haven't seen spoiled for them, they should make sure to see the event when it happens, or wait until they HAVE seen the event, to go to a forum or website dedicated to said sport.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 AM
yeah, my bad guys, i was fucking stupid coming into the ufc thread. i dont know what i was thinking, sorry.

anyhow i watched it and i think brock lesnar showed a bit of talent, and looks like he could be good in the ufc, but he really has to work on his submission defence, there were several times mir, nearly got him in an armbar, and he finally got the kneebar to win.

i am gladd that noguera (correct?) won, i hate sylvia, but i think he was a bit lucky with the gullotine.

overall, decent event, nothing special
Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
pretty good event. i'm getting a little burnt out on tyson griffin though. the guy has all the ability in the world but he can't finish a fight lately. his last 4 fights have gone to a decision. almeida's comeback was great, i figured he would win but he looked damn good doing it. hopefully he can build himself up into a threat against anderson or henderson whoever's holding the belt after the next event.

marquardt looked strong again, horn is and always will be a game opponet for anyone. brock looked like a beast, he's gonna cause alot of problems for alot of people in the heavyweight division. if it were up to me i would have him train exclusively on his jiu-jitsu and sub defense, it definetly needs work. i think they should match him up with the loser of the heath herring check kongo fight thats happening at 82.

mir was solid again, he held on through a pretty brutal start and used his one solid advantage to win the fight, hopefully mir can keep this up. he's a class guy and i wish him the best. maybe they'll put him in for a rematch with sylvia next. nog and sylvia was what it was, classic minotauro, the man is a living legend. he's endured beatings like the one he took on saturday against cro cop and bob sapp in pride and did the same thing, stayed in, fought, survived and pulled off the submission victory. he's one of my all time favorites and i was really happy to see him win, hopefully he can put up a few title defenses. don't like sylvia at all, but he was more aggressive and impressed me this fight hopefully in future fights he puts it all out there again and is more entertaining.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the saw is family View Post
that fight was canceled. unfortunately franklin is injured and won't be back until summer, possibly june.
Guess again, it was confirmed at the press conference yesterday. Its on the UFC website as well.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 View Post
Guess again, it was confirmed at the press conference yesterday. Its on the UFC website as well.
you are correct sir!!! earlier reports were that franklin was going to be out for awile, glad to see that fight is still on.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Glad to see Franklin back in the octagon - I think he'll take out Lutter - as far as the middleweight title, I can't see him getting it again, Silva destroyed him twice, and if Hendo beats Silva, you KNOW Franklin isn't getting it from him.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 PM
I think Franklin has a better chance of beating Hendo then he does Silva. That's not to say I dont think Hendo can beat Silva. Man I cant wait for that fight.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 AM
I think franklin would give hendo a pretty tough fight. to me it would come down to (as it has recently with franklin) to how he managed hendo's clinch. hendo isn't on the same level as silva when it comes to striking in the clinch, but he's not far behind, and hendo uses the clinch to set up his takedown's alot. i think stylistically franklin can't beat silva so if he were to re-capture the middleweight belt it would have to be from henderson, but even then he'd have a tough fight. i'd give franklin about a 40% chance against henderson.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I heard Kimbo was barred from ufc. Anyone know why? A Kimbo v lesnar fight would have been hilarious. Any news on Kimbos next fight?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Motta View Post
I heard Kimbo was barred from ufc. Anyone know why? A Kimbo v lesnar fight would have been hilarious. Any news on Kimbos next fight?
kimbo isn't barred from the ufc, they just have zero interest in signing him. if he builds a name for himself in exc (where he fights now) and maybe gets a few quality wins i could see the ufc possibly signing him. his next fight is against tank abbott. it's on the 16th of this month and airs on showtime that night. the card has some other good fights on it as well, with ricco rodriguez fighting antonio silva, yves edwards vs. edson berto and james thompson making his exc and u.s. debut, pretty decent card for a non pay per view event.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
If Kimbo is successful enough in EXC and wants to come to the UFC he will be there. As for Franklin-Lutter. I think Franklin will take this fight, a lot of people think that because Lutter did better against Anderson than Franklin did that Lutter will defeat Franklin. I dont think so. Lutter's BJJ matches up well against Anderson while Franklin wants to stand and strike with the guy which is a real bad idea. However, Franklin can and will keep the fight on its feet and will KO Lutter in the second round. I still think Franklin is the third best middleweight in the world, behind of course Anderson and Hendo who will decide who's the best at 185. The only thing I worry about is Hendo is a better fighter at 205, the weight he cuts seems to take a lot from his power and endurance. Hopefully he can come up with a better way to cut weight that wont affect him. Word is that GSP wants to possibly move up to MW because until someone beats Anderson Silva, he's the best pound for pound fighter in the world, a title GSP wants.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Quote:
If Kimbo is successful enough in EXC and wants to come to the UFC he will be there. As for Franklin-Lutter. I think Franklin will take this fight, a lot of people think that because Lutter did better against Anderson than Franklin did that Lutter will defeat Franklin. I dont think so. Lutter's BJJ matches up well against Anderson while Franklin wants to stand and strike with the guy which is a real bad idea. However, Franklin can and will keep the fight on its feet and will KO Lutter in the second round. I still think Franklin is the third best middleweight in the world, behind of course Anderson and Hendo who will decide who's the best at 185. The only thing I worry about is Hendo is a better fighter at 205, the weight he cuts seems to take a lot from his power and endurance. Hopefully he can come up with a better way to cut weight that wont affect him. Word is that GSP wants to possibly move up to MW because until someone beats Anderson Silva, he's the best pound for pound fighter in the world, a title GSP wants.

good assesments, i think franklin will beat lutter too. i don't think he'll ko him though i'll think it'll be a convincing unanimous decision. the lutter/silva fight is the most overhyped fight ever, nobody mentions that anderson was coming off of having his knees scoped 8 weeks prior. people make such a big deal out of lutter taking him down that fight, the only reason was because anderson wasn't at 100%. if you look at silva's takedown defense in his next fight against marquardt (who's a better takedown artist that lutter) he proves that the lutter fight was just an off night. I think hendo is going to give silva a hell of a fight, but i think silva weathers the storm and wins by tko in the 4th round, with that said though it wouldn't be shocking if hendo won. i think if gsp keeps up his winning ways he could move up to 185 maybe sometime in the second half of 2009.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 AM
change to the ultimate fight night card in april, bonnar is out tore his lcl he'll be out six months. no replacement to fight hamill has been announced.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
That sucks, I was really looking forward to that fight.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 AM
Crocop out of the UFC!!!

http://www.mirko-crocop.com/?id=4&solo=87

Well looks like Mirko was tired of getting beat down in the UFC and his contract has been terminated so he can compete in a second rate organization in Japan. Crocop will always be a legend for what he accomplished in K1 and Pride but not being able to cut it in the UFC will forever smear his legacy. Have fun fighting easier competition Crocop.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM
from what i've heard he was asked to take a pay cut by the ufc. which is kind of shady, but i cna understand it since he definitely has not lived up to what they are paying him. i would have liked to see him fight a couple more times in the ufc though. i've always liked cro-cop but truth is he always has been and always will be a one-dimensional fighter. he couldn't adapt to the size of the octagon and i think mentally he was off his game after the gonzaga loss. it'll be interesting to see what he does back in japan no idea who they could match him up with though.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
tim boetsch is replacing stephan bonnar at the april fight night. he man-handled david heath at ufc 81. also for anyone who reads this today, if you have vs. there is a great wec event on tonight three titles on the line.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I dont get Crocop, it seems like some sort of pride issue, not pun intended. The guy just seemed unmotivated even in victory and never really wanted to be there. Why? Who knows. The cage excuse pisses me off. Rampage Jackson, Anderson Silva, and Big Nog all fought for a long time in a PRIDE ring, none of them have complained about the octagon and they all hold belts. If the pay cut issue is true, that is shady by the UFC. But I think in the end Crocop wanted out and the UFC wanted his shitty attitude and poor performance out the door too.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Quote:
I dont get Crocop, it seems like some sort of pride issue, not pun intended. The guy just seemed unmotivated even in victory and never really wanted to be there. Why? Who knows. The cage excuse pisses me off. Rampage Jackson, Anderson Silva, and Big Nog all fought for a long time in a PRIDE ring, none of them have complained about the octagon and they all hold belts. If the pay cut issue is true, that is shady by the UFC. But I think in the end Crocop wanted out and the UFC wanted his shitty attitude and poor performance out the door too.
he did seem unmotivated. honestly i think he bought into his own hype coming into the ufc. he was coming off of his victory in 06 absolute grand prix, and he(and alot of people in the mma community) thought he would come into the ufc and walk right through the heavyweight division to the belt. which at the time really didn't seem that far fetched. then gonzaga happened and he openly admitted he was not training in an octagon and was not training for elbows(and it was the elbows that gonzaga put on him that set him up for the high kick) he just got out worked and got his rib broken in the second round against kongo, and that was it for him. i don't think the octagon thing is a proper excuse but it is a reason as to why he didn't have alot of success it's such a big space he isn't able to cut the area off and stalk his opponents which is what made him so successful in PRIDE and K-1. he did end up being a bad investment for the ufc and i'm not surprised the ufc decided to cut him loose. he signed with DREAM the new japanese organization which is owned by feg. it should be an interesting organization they are already planning a lightweight and middleweight grand prix which is the one thing i miss the most from PRIDE.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:51 PM
10 minute first rounds?

Knees to the head of a downed opponent?

Screaming lady introducing fighters?

Takada beating a gigantic drum in a diaper?

I can't fucking wait. JZ vs. Aoki has Fight Of The Year written all over it, and that Lightweight Grand Prix is going to be sick.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
How many different org's are there now? UFC, WEC, M1, Bodog, Elite XC, KOTC, Dream, Yarenokka!, HDNET. I guess the more fights the better.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Quote:
How many different org's are there now? UFC, WEC, M1, Bodog, Elite XC, KOTC, Dream, Yarenokka!, HDNET. I guess the more fights the better.
UFC and WEC are both Zuffa Owned. Elite XC and KOTC (along with Cage Rage, ICON, and I think Spirit MC) are all under Pro-Elite ownership.

Bodog is no longer hosting their own fights, just sticking their name on other organization's shows. Very small ones at that.

Yarenokka and K-1 Hero's combined today to become DREAM.

If the things being said about M1 recently are true, they either won't be around, or they'll become a laughing stock. They are going to co-promote with DREAM though so Fedor vs. Crocop 2 is a possibility.

HDnet fights isn't going to be anything, and I wouldn't doubt that they'll fold it now that HDnet has picked up IFL, Strikeforce, MFC, and a few other orgs in TV deals.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspoken View Post
UFC and WEC are both Zuffa Owned. Elite XC and KOTC (along with Cage Rage, ICON, and I think Spirit MC) are all under Pro-Elite ownership.

Bodog is no longer hosting their own fights, just sticking their name on other organization's shows. Very small ones at that.

Yarenokka and K-1 Hero's combined today to become DREAM.

If the things being said about M1 recently are true, they either won't be around, or they'll become a laughing stock. They are going to co-promote with DREAM though so Fedor vs. Crocop 2 is a possibility.

HDnet fights isn't going to be anything, and I wouldn't doubt that they'll fold it now that HDnet has picked up IFL, Strikeforce, MFC, and a few other orgs in TV deals.
you're dead on about M-1 the only fighters they have is fedor and some of the others from red-devil fight club. i don't think they'll ever really host a show most likely just co-promote with other orgs. it looks more and more likely that if the randy vs. fedor fight is going to happen it's gonna be in aring and not a cage which definitely plays heavy in fedor's favor.(i think he would win in a cage too, but more dominating in a ring)
Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
M1 may already be done. There's rumours out there that there has been a bunch of infighting going on between the Russians and the Americans from day one, and that right now, the Americans are trying to raise the cash to buy the Russians out. The only thing is, if the Russians go, does Fedor go with them.

Oh yeah, that and their recent fantastic idea. There was a trailer on their website about a reality show they might be doing... a sixteen man tournament, the winner gets to fight Fedor. Now THAT'S a joke.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspoken View Post
M1 may already be done. There's rumours out there that there has been a bunch of infighting going on between the Russians and the Americans from day one, and that right now, the Americans are trying to raise the cash to buy the Russians out. The only thing is, if the Russians go, does Fedor go with them.

Oh yeah, that and their recent fantastic idea. There was a trailer on their website about a reality show they might be doing... a sixteen man tournament, the winner gets to fight Fedor. Now THAT'S a joke.
wow didn't hear the rumor about the reality show, thank god that most likely won't happen. hopefully fedor starts facing some stronger competition soon, he's the greatest fighter that ever lived and i wanna see him fight some top tier fighters. hopefully before his mma creer is over we can see him fight randy, josh barnett, sergei kharitonov, antonio silva, andrei arlovski and maybe a rematch with cro cop if he can pull it together.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Anybody catch WEC the other night? Pretty good show, lots of finishes, new champions. The UFC also screwed up their UFC 82 ad by saying Keith Jardine was fighting. Whoops, somebodies fired.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Anybody catch WEC the other night? Pretty good show, lots of finishes, new champions. The UFC also screwed up their UFC 82 ad by saying Keith Jardine was fighting. Whoops, somebodies fired.
wec was top notch as it has been for the past 4 or 5 events. i love watching the shows they put together. miguel torres is so slick on the ground love watching him fight. never been a fan of razor rob and always thought he was overrated glad to see varner knock him out. condit was solid as usual but for some reason there's something i don't like about him, he's a good fighter though. can't wait for the march event and the sonnen/filho rematch.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I dont like Condit either. Rumor is he could be heading to the UFC. I'd be interested to see if he has his "menacing glare" face on when he's looking across at GSP. Glad to Razor Rob lose too, he just seems like every guy I hated in high school.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Quote:
I dont like Condit either. Rumor is he could be heading to the UFC. I'd be interested to see if he has his "menacing glare" face on when he's looking across at GSP. Glad to Razor Rob lose too, he just seems like every guy I hated in high school.
i think condit would do ok at 170 in the ufc. i think he would lose to gsp, fitch, koscheck, karo, hughes, and probably diego. he might do ok against some of the lower tier welterweights, maybe swick, burkman, anthony johnson. yeah i don't get that face either, i just think man you're getting in the cage to kick some ass we already know you're tough you don't have to make that face to prove it. also damn is he skinny he weighed in at 167 for that last fight which makes me think he probably doesn't even cut any weight.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM
The thing I hate most about him is he brings his white trash parents ringside and they scream the whole match long, "Kill em Carlos, kill em!!!" Like its some kind of Texas death match.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Quote:
The thing I hate most about him is he brings his white trash parents ringside and they scream the whole match long, "Kill em Carlos, kill em!!!" Like its some kind of Texas death match.
i've never noticed that before his dad is a senator or congressman or maybe he was governor some government official from new mexico funny he would act like that in public. you have showtime to watch the elitexc event tonight? main event should be a freakshow but there's a few good fights on the undercard.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Kimbo killed Tank of course. All of Kimbo's training is for nothing if he continues to fight in EliteXC, there just isnt the competition for him to cement his name as a legit heavyweight. Hopefully the UFC will sign him this year if he can beat somewhat decent in his next fight, which I'm guessing will be against Antonio Silva.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Kimbo killed Tank of course. All of Kimbo's training is for nothing if he continues to fight in EliteXC, there just isnt the competition for him to cement his name as a legit heavyweight. Hopefully the UFC will sign him this year if he can beat somewhat decent in his next fight, which I'm guessing will be against Antonio Silva.
i don't think they'll give him silva next gary shaw is proclaiming silva as the number one heavyweight in the world, so i don't think he would want one of his two big investments to cancel each other out. i don't know if you watched the broadcast or not but the announcers name dropped ken shamrock as a possible opponent, which was weird. you know shamrock would be coming in looking for a leg lock and thats it. i wouldn't mind seeing kimbo fight brett rogers next the guy who knocked out thompson last night.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Shamrock would be a good fight for him, even though he's washed up he'd still be the most dynamic opponent Kimbo has ever faced.

Also there is a rumor floating around that Tito Ortiz is not training for his fight against Lyoto Machida and has said to several people he no longer wants to fight. Can't say I blame him, the guys had more serious injuries than anybody I've ever seen and still come back from them. If it's true, I'd like to see Keith Jardine step in for him and have the winner face the winner of Rampage/Forrest. Wanderlei Silva still needs an opponent as well, maybe Sokdejou or a rematch with Vitor Belfort if they sign him. It also sounds like Fabricio Werdum may get the first shot at Big Nog's title. Tim Sylvia is rumored to be fighting Frank Mir for the next shot, although most people want to see him get crushed by Brock Lesnar.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Shamrock would be a good fight for him, even though he's washed up he'd still be the most dynamic opponent Kimbo has ever faced.

Also there is a rumor floating around that Tito Ortiz is not training for his fight against Lyoto Machida and has said to several people he no longer wants to fight. Can't say I blame him, the guys had more serious injuries than anybody I've ever seen and still come back from them. If it's true, I'd like to see Keith Jardine step in for him and have the winner face the winner of Rampage/Forrest. Wanderlei Silva still needs an opponent as well, maybe Sokdejou or a rematch with Vitor Belfort if they sign him. It also sounds like Fabricio Werdum may get the first shot at Big Nog's title. Tim Sylvia is rumored to be fighting Frank Mir for the next shot, although most people want to see him get crushed by Brock Lesnar.
yeah i heard that about tito as well, hopefully it's not true i'd like to see how machida would fair against a strong wrestler. the rumor with jardine is that he's going to fight wanderlei on the same card as the penn/sherk fight. i like werdum but nog has already beaten him once and probably will again, i really hope they can work things out with arlovski get him resigned and have him fight nog. i wouldnt mind seeing a sylvia/mir rematch
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm sad to see Arlovski go but its very unlikely he'll be back. He wants about $500,000 a fight and he makes less than half that now. Apparently he's been training heavily in his boxing and plans to become a pro boxer after his last fight in the UFC. He hasnt been the same since Sylvia KO'd him.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:07 PM
yeah he probably will end up gone, but i'll still hold out a little bit of a hope. with that suspect chin of his who knows how he would make it as a boxer. i just hope to see the best fights possible this year from various organizations.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Wanderlei Silva's trainer and manager has said its very likely he will move to middleweight. He says his lack of size is the main reason and Wanderlei says he wants a rematch with Dan Henderson. I think it would be a good move, he is short and stocky for 205, that division is stacked anyways and middleweight could use another great fighter. I thought he looked great against Liddell despite having those short arms but he's an immediate contender in MW.

*UPDATE
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=5727&zoneid=2

And just like that, Wandy confirms it himself. I do hope he gets the fight with Jardine before he moves down. Then he can fight the loser of Anderson/Henderson or possibly Rich Franklin.

Last edited by DarkKnight81; 02-19-2008 at 05:13 PM..
Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 PM
yeah i read about wand's move, hopefully he takes the jardine fight before the move i think that would be a real slugfest. hopefully he doesn't take up permanent residence at 185 though i would love to see him have another go with chuck before liddell retires. oh also they changed the april 2nd fight night into a 3 hour event, can't wait to see even more of that stacked card.